• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski talks controls, enhanced multiplayer in Gears of War 2

Shins

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Do they not have enough sense to spray their lancer and stun the opposing chainsaw combatant? fucktards
Canceling out the chainsaw isn't a 100% thing though. I've been on the giving and receiving end of a number of times where I was obviously shot or shot the guy during the run-up to a chainsaw kill, but it was still performed.

Edag Plata said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for not calling him "Cliffy B" like everyone else does as if he's so super cool or he's some sage or even more important than anyone and everyone else in the world.
6dvc6r.gif

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
Canceling out the chainsaw isn't a 100% thing though. I've been on the giving and receiving end of a number of times where I was obviously shot or shot the guy during the run-up to a chainsaw kill, but it was still performed.

I get what your saying and it happens a lot with the shotgun but if you're lacing into them with the lancer when they're coming at you then they don't run right through that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So the chainsaw duel really is a button mash battle? Please no. I hate that type of no skill shit.

Slavik81

TemplaerDude said:
if you're stupid enough to run up to an enemy and press b to saw them in half with 10 of his buddies standing around, you deserve to get shot up.
Properly using the invincible animations was half of what Gears multiplayer was about...

raYne

AmMortal said:
Cliff Bleszinski's Gears of War 2.

:D
Fixed it for you. It'll be the new "Tom Clancy".

K.Jack said:
So the chainsaw duel really is a button mash battle? Please no. I hate that type of no skill shit.
It's not like there's a vast number of options to go with in that case. It's either that, alternate button presses, stick waggling or QTE nonsense. Out of those choices, I'd much rather go with the button mashing or alternating button presses (my preference).

Besides, people with skill wouldn't be in that postion that much to begin with.

Aladuf

Banned
thrasher said:
Thanks Epic, for charging us $60 for the multiplayer patch and 1600 points worth of episodes

Yeah, fuck sequels! amiright?

It's shaping up to be a LOT more than a MP "patch" and "1600 points of episodes"

thrasher

Banned
Aladuf23 said:
Yeah, fuck sequels! amiright?

It's shaping up to be a LOT more than a MP "patch" and "1600 points of episodes"

I hope you're right but everything discussed so far could've been delivered through downloadable content.

I'll be buying this in any case :)

Aladuf

Banned
thrasher said:
I hope you're right but everything discussed so far could've been delivered through downloadable content.

Yeah, it seems that it'll be way improved over Gears 1. I still just want to see this MP video to see some of the many new things in action.

Choabac

Crayon said:
I heard on Bombacst that he actually requested not to be called Cliffy B anymore.

That's because his full name is actually Clifford Bleszinski III Jnr.

not really

AmMortal

Banned
thrasher said:

Kinda true, improvements look more like a Remastered Gears of War, maybe it's just the outfits :/

Buying nonetheless though.

FightyF

Banned
thrasher said:

Well, the revamped engine with the improved lighting model, physics, destroyable environment, and smoother framerate is probably something you couldn't simply patch into Gears 1.

Manp

raYne said:
It's not like there's a vast number of options to go with in that case. It's either that, alternate button presses, stick waggling or QTE nonsense. Out of those choices, I'd much rather go with the button mashing or alternating button presses (my preference).

chainsaw duels should trigger a chess game. that would be awesome!

:)

pr0cs

Sounds like they've been listening regarding the multiplayer, only in a few instances did I seriously notice host advantage but considering how much whining people did about it I'm glad they're addressing it.
likely a lot of the people whining never even played the game but feel attracted to any/all negative aspects of it

Gears is still my most hyped for game of 2008.

X26

Banned
wonder if chainsaw duel's would be better if it worked like active reloads rather than button mashing

Kydd BlaZe

pr0cs said:
Sounds like they've been listening regarding the multiplayer, only in a few instances did I seriously notice host advantage but considering how much whining people did about it I'm glad they're addressing it.
likely a lot of the people whining never even played the game but feel attracted to any/all negative aspects of it

Oh believe me, host advantage/bullet lag was a HUGE issue. The game was incredibly frustrating at times because of the shit netcode.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gears Brothers,

Aladuf/Full Recovery/etc.

I will be online this weekend. I hope to see you.

Prepare to die.

That is all.

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Gears Brothers,

Prepare to die.

That is all.

I'll be there, it's been a while since we all got to play that time.

Chinner

Banned
gears 2 is sounding p hot. i know it wont happen but it would be pretty cool if they added some different animations for getting into cover, like in gta4 where you can slide or roll into cover depending on how far away you are (not saying im saying gta has b etter cover system, because it hasnt). it would be a nice little touch and adds some variety.

Kydd BlaZe

RSTEIN said:
Gears Brothers,

Prepare to die.

That is all.

I'm interested as well. Full Recovery, Aladuf23 check your pms plz :D

theBishop

Banned
There were some complaints of players getting "stuck" to walls when trying to hide behind scenery. How will you refine that?

I felt like the Gears cover system worked like 85 percent of the time and we want to get as close to 100 percent as we can. We also offer an alternate control scheme, which is pretty similar to Uncharted, where we decouple the cover and the evade button so players can have those on separate buttons if they want.

Its odd, I thought Uncharted's controls worked better than Gears overall, but it was more because of the agility of Drake. I'm not sure the big-necked manly-men in Gears need to roll and evade so much.

theBishop said:
Its odd, I thought Uncharted's controls worked better than Gears overall, but it was more because of the agility of Drake. I'm not sure the big-necked manly-men in Gears need to roll and evade so much.
I think people were having problems when character would take cover instead of jumping over the obstacle. Separating controls would fix that problem.

Top Bottom