• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Microtransactions are Out of Control

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Hey guys, remember when devs and pubs told us that microtransactions would never grow out of control, and those who claimed otherwise were deemed as doom-prophets and nay-sayers. Those were fun days, right?

Jawmuncher

Yeah the booster pack system is all over the place. I don't mind boosters, but geez they needed a better set up. It's just way too much

Jinaar

The only thing I have an issue with is that if I cannot get a pre-made group for Horde, pickup matches with randoms have lasted about 2-5 rounds until I am either the last or second last person still remaining, since everyone else dropped out.

That makes getting credits hard. Horde literally cannot be done with randoms. So you have a mode that essentially requires a pre-made group at all times, which may not be possible depending when you and others log on to play the game.

Maybe there is something unknown that I missed but regardless, I need to play Horde to get credits and if people quit a few rounds into Horde mode, there is no incentive to keep playing the game that game mode.

One of the reasons overwatch does it well is because win or lose, you gain reasonable XP and after about 60-90 minutes of playing you get a loot box, you can be a bad player but still earn boxes at a reasonable rate.

They are also all pure cosmetics, no damage boosters for horde mode or anything gameplay changing.

Xater

One of the reasons overwatch does it well is because win or lose, you gain reasonable XP and after about 60-90 minutes of playing you get a loot box, you can be a bad player but still earn boxes at a reasonable rate.

They are also all pure cosmetics, no damage boosters for horde mode or anything gameplay changing.

And in Gears even getting the 1k Operations pack can take quite some time. It's awful.

Games are so weird nowadays.

This lottery horseshit blows my mind when people say their gonna refund or don't want to play and how off-putting it is.

I can see how scummy the system is. Everyone can.

But is unlocking skins and stupid items the only driver to play games nowadays? Me playing a really close 3 round KOTH March for near 30 mins isn't somehow less fun because I don't have all the skins and characters.

Do people not enjoy games anymore?

I don't buy packs in any games i play. Gears economy needs sorting out for sure, but it doesn't change my enjoyment of the actual gameplay. The idea that it could seems insane to me.

Carrot and stick for real.

It's not just cosmetic though.

And even if it was, RNG loot boxes are just not very fun to deal with if them existing makes the base game's unlock system worse for regular players, or if you don't have a way to build up to getting what you specifically want/they feel too grindy. It doesn't mean the base game isn't good, but I base he can be good AND the unlock system can be good at the same time.

This is why I have no problem with Overwatch's loot box system, while I think Gears 4's is a bit gross.

gafneo

Banned
I bet if the game had a $5000 option for donating, people would give money just because. It's like even the smallest possible incentives will get people to drop their life savings.

xRaizen

They should reward players who finish 50 rounds on Horde with packs. Something like Casual - 1 pack, Normal - 2 packs, Hardcore - 3 packs, Insane - 4 packs

Dubz

Because games that cost $200 million to make need additional revenue streams to make profit and keep developers working. It's a pretty simple concept. i couldn't care less about cosmetics and the horde booster packs are a lot cheaper than the cosmetic ones so I have no issues with it.
Link on the $200m budget please.

It's true alright.

If you're level 81 then you're out of luck on the 500 credits thing because getting to 85 will take you days. So you're left with 50 credits each 10 waves x 5 = 250 credits maybe a 100 credits bonus on top of all so you're looking at less than 400 credits not enough to buy a horde pack. You'd need 60 waves at least at higher levels.

We need a OT which provides clear information about all this stuff. I don't know all the number by hard, but I do know the system is not linear and it does depend on difficulty as well.
Playing 1 - 10 gives less credits than playing 11 - 20. Also playing Easy gives less credits (and experience) than Normal

I do enjoy the feeling of progression. Besides, why all the people want to play Insane maxed out on certain ability(s)? First game I played I jumped in directly on High. It was OK-ish until the boss wave. Then I tried Casual and it was OK until the second boss wave. Then I tried Normal and I found my sweet spot. Now that I've some upgraded abilities it's getting easier 1 - 30, but still difficult beyond 35. Now, I'm mixing my games on a higher difficulty. I know I'll make it to Insane, eventually. Don't understand the rush.

Microtransactions that change gameplay are terrible. I don't care how they're implemented, they're an abomination. Especially in a multiplayer focused competitive game.

x-Lundz-x

They need to Fix Horde Mode badly. I made it through 50 waves on this double XP weekend and was still only able to buy 2 packs. Ridiculous.

The game is AMAZING, but they need to fix the leveling and earning credits. Getting really annoying as I'm only interested in Horde mode and not MP.

They should reward players who finish 50 rounds on Horde with packs. Something like Casual - 1 pack, Normal - 2 packs, Hardcore - 3 packs, Insane - 4 packs
Totally agree my buddies and I were just talking about this very idea last night.

When you commit several hours to one match and to hardly get any rewards is pretty bad.

lionpants

The tacky RockStar Drink marketing deal is lame too. I don't want to have real world product logos in my game...

The campaign was a massive bore for me. Luckily Microsoft Store refunded my digital purchase as a "gesture of good will".

leveling can give you more credit, which can give you more packs and advantage on horde mode, but not on the versus MP

Got it! That's what I thought.

In that case, I can't really be mad about the general existence of these microtransactions. That being said, I can definitely see that they're pretty poorly implemented. There's no reason for "limited time" packs to be randomized. They should at least guarantee something new every time.

Halo 5's REQ system is really the gold standard in my eyes for "random" gear packs. Sure they're random, but it's incredibly easy to attain them via in-game play.

Moofers

They need to Fix Horde Mode badly. I made it through 50 waves on this double XP weekend and was still only able to buy 2 packs. Ridiculous.

The game is AMAZING, but they need to fix the leveling and earning credits. Getting really annoying as I'm only interested in Horde mode and not MP.
Yup, my thoughts exactly. We want to enjoy the game and for the most part, I really am! However, this random loot box thing feels really aggressively sleazy when you can play 50 rounds of horde and somehow not have enough credits for the basic Horde box or if you do, you get 5 cards that you might want to scrap entirely which nets you a cool 25 scrap. Yay.

For those not in the know, horde skill cards cost 40 scrap to create. Weapon and player skins range from 600-2400 scrap. A single level 4 skill will need 10 cards to reach level 5 and each class has like a dozen or more skills. So yeah, the progression BADLY needs tuning.

MarveI

I'm mostly playing on Normal as my friends are not available yet for Horde, so I've been playing with 100% randoms. On Normal, waves 1 - 10 you get 52 credits and from 11 - 20, 79 IIRC. You get also 500 credit every time you level up 5 levels. I'm right now at level 51 and I think I leveled up 4 levels every 20 waves (so, I guess it should have be 2 level w/o the Double Exp weekend)

Honest question here: is there out there any other method which does not "obligate you" to take a substantial lost to your initial investment? (and I'm talking about these random loot cards packs)

I did 1 - 50 before the double exp weekend and playing Normal 1 - 50 gives you waaaaymore than 400 credtis (I'd say aprox 2000 including the leveling up rewards). You can be upset, but please do not misinform people who have not played the game yet

2000 ? I don't believe you.

If you do not use any credit bounties which I do not have currently and you are at a higher level where you don't get 500 credits for level up easily (I was 81 2-3 days ago still 84 despite playing a lot) THERE IS NO WAY you get 500 let alone 2000). On normal I get around 50 credits each 10 wave.

It's partially a reason why I didn't stick with Horde mode. The progress was way too slow. I rented the game so it's not a big deal at all, but if I really enjoyed that mode I would have purchased the game at some point in the future...

So, I was generally unaware of how dependent Horde mode was going to be on these cards and how slow of a drip the means of procuring said cards was going to be. Right now I'm plodding my way through the campaign (30-45 minutes/night) and was really excited to give Horde mode a try after... Now that I've read this thread, I might not even jump in at all. It just seems like I would be spinning my wheels, particularly because I'd be primarily playing with randoms. Really disappointing.

http://screenrant.com/gears-of-war-4-microtransactions-controversy/

I have to say that I'd be hard pressed to point to another full priced game that has had a $10.00, 25.00, and $100.00+ bundle of randomized cosmetics and boosters dropped within the first week - all of which will not even come close to giving you every item available in the game even if you were to eliminate repeats. It's like the Forza 5 launch, but way worse because at least you got to choose what you were buying for real money in that situation, even though you could technically spend more. Both featured insane amounts of grinding (even after initial adjustments) to get what you want.

The Coalition and Microsoft need to reevaluate their microtransaction policies and make things more reasonable. I understand that we are just numbers to them, but at least create an environment where we can pretend that we're not.

Craft me for 2400 scrap if old.

This is exactly why I didn't buy the game and don't plan to even if they do change things. Honestly I used to even accept things like the loot boxes in Overwatch and stuff like that but its gotten to the point for me where I'm just sick and tired of being taken advantage of by all of these companies and I just don't want to even buy games that have shit like this in them.

Im not sure the math, but ive played about 4-5 matches online, and a BUNCH of horde on casual and normal.

Im level 20.

I have not been able to afford a single elite pack

Gator86

Overwatch, Mankind Divided, and now Gears 4. This has been a real shit year for microtransactions in full-priced games.

We deserve it. Look at people on this board defend these in every possible way. The market can't stop buying them. It's a lost battle already.

Look forward to games designed around irritating you into spending more money or with progress/unlocks designed to be damn near impossible to get without forking over extra cash.

I agree somewhat OP that micro transactions are becoming too commonplace and out of control. If it is mostly cosmetic I do not really care too much if people are willing to spend money for skins etc. When it can start to affect gameplay or in this case affect how well you can do in Horde 3.0 then I start to take notice of this. My most hated thing when it comes to micro transactions is the gambling and randomness aspect of it, especially if you can pull duplicates which should not happen if the boxes/loot crates are programmed properly.

If people are spending over $500 to get some cosmetic items then I am pretty sure it is working as Microsoft intended.

if the goal is short term profit, yes.

they have a years worth of DLC planned. im pretty sure maintaining that is gonna require a revenue stream.

hard to have a revenue stream when no one is playing your game because of how frustrated they are

Yes, their gaming division was doing so great that they had to close only three studios and limit it to putting only hundreds of people out of work. Also, how much did Microsoft pay for the Gears franchise? They're gonna wanna make their money back on that.

You know, you have a point when you put it like this. How much more should gamers pay to balance their moral compass?

MarveI

After level 50 it really becomes a HUGE grind for horde players. I feel like I'm stuck ages at my higher level despite playing a lot. Which makes earning credits even worse if you can believe it. I don't understand why they upped the credits for Versus where you get more credits for a shorter amount of time but did not increase it for horde where you play hours and hours and get less in comparison to the time you put in Versus. And to make things worse you get more credits the longer you play in horde but if people drop which happens a lot you lose that too which makes it even more frustrating. And on top of all this if you intend to survive insane horde you have to depend on the cards you get to improve your game which is essential to survive insane but the cards you get are mostly trash all green cards and scrapping them is worthless too. It's really demoralizing and tiresome and makes you give up on the game.

Purest 78

Allowing people to buy what they want would be cool. The whole gambling system is just terrible imo. Ultimately they know people will spend more in hopes of getting what they want.

Allowing people to buy what they want would be cool. The whole gambling system is just terrible imo. Ultimately they know people will spend more in hopes of getting what they want.

There's people on this site that implied Gears 3 was worse (where you could buy the skins you wanted)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The argument that big pretty games cost too much to make is also crap when applied to Gears of War 4, specifically.

It's shorter than any previous Gears of War.

There's less cinematics, less characters, less campaign levels.

The visuals are not a quantum leap above Gears of War 3 in terms of modeling, texture work, or effects. There's not that many big set pieces.

It launches with 10 maps. Extra maps will cost money to permanently own them.

Horde mode reuses the same 10 maps.

Its cosmetic work involves only a few alternate character models, and is mostly painted skins for weapons and a handful for characters.

In short there's less game for a $60 price tag than the previous big game in the series, Gears of War 3. And in GoW3, many of the unlockables and bonuses were earned through gameplay and in-game challenges, not microtransaction gambling. There was a seaso pass, but it had a fairly large amount of content for the money.

I'm not inherently against loot crates or micro. In a few games, they don't feel terrible because there's already a lot of content and the game is robust. Halo 5 is actually pretty great, being stuffed with content before you get to the loot packs.

But many games suffer from the problem that Gears of War 4 does: the existence of loot crates and micro-transaction gambling is a ready excuse to ship a game with less features, bonuses, length, and content than previous generations.

The Gears team has been leading the charge on micro transactions. Gear 3 had a tonne of stuff that wasn't included in the season pass but I think it was all cosmetic.

I remember gears 3 having weapon skins for a few quid, I bought the team metalic colour pack because I felt like having a shiny weapon. I don't think anything else was sold apart from the map packs.

How much do microtransactions affect Horde, especially for someone who doesn't like a heavy grind and will absolutely not pay for anything other than the base game and maybe fixed DLCs, but who could not give the slightest hint of a damn about cosmetics?

I was really looking into buying this, but if this affects Horde's gameplay/weapon availability/etc, I'm out.

Getting wrecked in Halo 5 Warzone Firefight, deciding to use your limited REQs in a game and then getting wrecked anyway because you were the only one who used them is bad enough.

Moofers

The argument that big pretty games cost too much to make is also crap when applied to Gears of War 4, specifically.

It's shorter than any previous Gears of War.

There's less cinematics, less characters, less campaign levels.

The visuals are not a quantum leap above Gears of War 3 in terms of modeling, texture work, or effects. There's not that many big set pieces.

It launches with 10 maps. Extra maps will cost money to permanently own them.

Horde mode reuses the same 10 maps.

Its cosmetic work involves only a few alternate character models, and is mostly painted skins for weapons and a handful for characters.

In short there's less game for a $60 price tag than the previous big game in the series, Gears of War 3. And in GoW3, many of the unlockables and bonuses were earned through gameplay and in-game challenges, not microtransaction gambling. There was a seaso pass, but it had a fairly large amount of content for the money.

I'm not inherently against loot crates or micro. In a few games, they don't feel terrible because there's already a lot of content and the game is robust. Halo 5 is actually pretty great, being stuffed with content before you get to the loot packs.

But many games suffer from the problem that Gears of War 4 does: the existence of loot crates and micro-transaction gambling is a ready excuse to ship a game with less features, bonuses, length, and content than previous generations.

New dev team with more members makes for more expensive games. And honestly, Gears 4 is pretty feature-packed between the 3 modes. Not saying I endorse this random loot crate system (see my other posts) but I will say its pretty clear that the game was quite expensive to make.

Hey guys, remember when devs and pubs told us that microtransactions would never grow out of control, and those who claimed otherwise were deemed as doom-prophets and nay-sayers. Those were fun days, right?

Just like with DLC.

It's an endless cycle.

How much do microtransactions affect Horde, especially for someone who doesn't like a heavy grind and will absolutely not pay for anything other than the base game and maybe fixed DLCs, but who could not give the slightest hint of a damn about cosmetics?

I was really looking into buying this, but if this affects Horde's gameplay/weapon availability/etc, I'm out.

Getting wrecked in Halo 5 Warzone Firefight, deciding to use your limited REQs in a game and then getting wrecked anyway because you were the only one who used them is bad enough.

You need to buy Horde packs to level up your classes which will make hardcore/insane a lot easier.

It's annoying but since you don't care about customization it probably wouldn't be a big deal, since the packs are only 400 credits

It has a massive effect. There are skill cards that can be unlocked and upgraded with a maximum of 5 that can be equipped at once when a character is maxed. Some of these would be stuff like 60% headshot damage + exploding headshots, Increased turret damage, decreased turret costs etc. They basically completely change the game, especially if you have a full squad well kitted out. Of course, it would take either an insane amount of play or a lot of cash to max those skills out. I broke level 60 before I gave up on it and was not even halfway to maxing a single class.

The microtransactions for Horde are not as bad as with Halo 5 Warzone Firefight where the REQs are one time use. They really just help in your survivability and overall contribution to your team in terms of perks you can carry.

JulianImp

Its a nice game. I will give them that. In the end i actually hope whales do bite, so i can olay the dlc fo free, if thats the business model

Such disgusting casino terminology finding its way into regular game design is realy sad, and as a result, economy specialists and behavioral psychologists have become bigger players in the design of big modern games after the whole Facebook games boom, which later matured into F2P game models and has now been added to premium games because hey, why not!

Crafting microtransaction models that prey on people predisposed to spending more money on that kind of stuff is seriously not what I wish game companies were focusing on. If the argument is that you need more money to create bigger and better looking games at a $60 price tag, then I'd argue that having to implement underhanded casino tactics to rake in additional cash (and for profit, because of course being a shareholder is about wanting companies to maximize their profits so that their dividends go up in turn) is not the way to go, and that maybe the obsession with technical features that are proving to be so much of a time and money sink, while understandable, is also undermining AAA game development.

Thankfully, AAA games are no longer alone in the industry at the very least, so there's always another game or developer to fall back on if your game of choice ends up being a microtransaction trojan horse.

kobu

Shit on sf5 all you want but I'll pay $4 for costume any day before I open loot boxes trying to get the shit I want.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The cost of modern AAA.
You want games bigger, longer, prettier, more content for same $60, better accept that and let whales fund part of it.

And this is exactly why I wouldn't shed a single tear if so-called 'AAA gaming' balloons in costs so much that it all comes crashing down. It's unsustainable.

Devs seriously don't need almost a quarter of a billion to make entertaining games. Hell, most of the best games I play today are made on modest budgets by smaller, cost-conscious developers and publishers with fresh new ideas.

Top Bottom