• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B departs Epic - Takes break from industry - GAF writes disturbing fan fiction

Orayn

Somehow I got the idea of cliffy wandering the world looking for answers like in batman begins.

HEWyn.jpg
Henri Ducard: No, no, no. A Game developer is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or fired. But if you make yourself more than just a Developer, if you devote yourself to a video game, and if the publishers can't stop you, then you become something else entirely.
58ADf.jpg
Cliffy B: Which is?
HEWyn.jpg
Henri Ducard: A legend, Mr. bleszinski

CLIFFMAN BEGINS. I like this.

Holy fuck!

g6hVz.jpg

"I came in with Nintendo Power in 1988. It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don't go out with Nintendo Power. The Almighty has said, no doubt: 'Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together."

HOLY FUCK!

2San

Wish him luck, hopefully hell still make bigger budget games though(he has a knack for making good shoot bang games imo).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think that's true, he has voiced before Epic likes him working only on what's making them successful (aka gears), Epic seems pretty one sided on the big budget games

I would not define Fortnite as sticking CliffyB on what makes Epic successful or a big budget game.

AniHawk

The Last of Us and Heavy Rain look dudebro? They could hire him to make an open world rpg on the ps4.

heavy rain wasn't naughty dog, but i guess i could see how you might make that mistake.

and good luck to cliffyb. 20 years is a helluva long time to do that without being completely burnt out at one place.

Animal

Banned
Regardless of whether or not you like him or his games, time for himself is more than well-deserved.

Enjoy Cliff.

tkscz

Wait a minute. He's posted here before about wanting to make a game that was more about exploration, Retro studios is suddenly looking for a Programming Engineer.

CLIFF IS GOING TO BE WORKING ON METROID PRIME 4

BELIEVE

To tell the truth i don't think we as gamers are missing much by his departure. In fact we might gain from this. Since he is a fantastic PR face we might see him in more interviews, really smart person and good speaker, always entertaining to listen.

g6hVz.jpg

"I came in with Nintendo Power in 1988. It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don't go out with Nintendo Power. The Almighty has said, no doubt: 'Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together."

Wait, did he actually say this?

tkscz

g6hVz.jpg

CONSPIRACY!!!

To tell the truth i don't think we as gamers are missing much by his departure. In fact we might gain from this. Since he is a fantastic PR face we might see him in more interviews, really smart person and good speaker, always entertaining to listen.

Nah, the game industry took a loss today. In interviews, Cliffy STILL has the enthusiasm of a new guy! He's still got more ideas in the can than people ever cook up their entire career. I remember this one interview where he was talking about a concept for survival horror where the entire mechanic is that the monster is active the second you look away. You're constantly looking over your shoulder!

Cliffy is AMAZING, and I'm sorry to see him go. Good luck to your life, Cliffy. You've earned whatever rest you get. Just don't stay away too long, hear?

japtor

Wait, did he actually say this?
Google says the source is this thread :p

...or Mark Twain: http://www.twainquotes.com/Halley's_Comet.html
Mark Twain said:
I came in with Halley's Comet in 1835. It is coming again next year (1910), and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don't go out with Halley's Comet. The Almighty has said, no doubt: "Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together."

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So first it was the Bioware doctors, and now Cliffy B is walking away from the industry, at least for a time, still at happenstance.

gatti-man

Wow I wonder what he will do now. Cliffs had unlimited resources and power. I have to think he's starting his own company. Aaaaaand gears is most likely fucked now :(

"Taking a break from the industry"

Translation:

Waiting for the duration of my no compete clause with Epic to expire, then I'll be doing some tablet and smartphone stuff.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Very unexpected.

Good luck in your future endeavors Cliff!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damn, I hope he finds happiness wherever he ends up, but I do hope he does return to the industry. So much respect, and I don't even like his games (so far) that much.

Top Bottom