• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Despite some of the utter shit Cliffy B talks at times I like the man as a designer and I'd love to see him kickstart/produce a new arena shooter. He did a lot of fantastic maps. My interest is rising (and if he gets it off the ground my cash shall be ready too)

Heard it on Kevin Pereira's podcast on iTunes today, interesting listen.
www.deathsquad.tv/category/kevin-pereira-pointless/

Other tidbits...

-He can't talk in detail about the Epic split, but is still on good terms with some of them.
-Says he's ready to get back in the game and start his own studio.
-Hopes to use Unreal engine.
-Wants to get back to his roots with this project.
-He also speaks highly of the Oculus so the game will probably have support for that.
-Just speculation on my part for this, but I think Kickstarter might be the route he will go.

Curbstomp if old.

Cliff B is an investor in Oculus. Of course he is going to speak highly.

bee

i doubt 2gd will ever make reborn but arena shooters are in a mini revival, with this, maybe reborn and reflex http://reflexfps.com/ there's even rumours of a quakelive 2.0 on the horizon, modern shooters are so boring i hope at least one of these is good

oh yeah and quake won! :D

eot

Banned
shot00002vq.jpg

Played that so much.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also not surprised that this is happening. It was clear from what he said a while ago (even whilst still at Epic) that he wanted to focus more on game mechanics and the stories that can result from that. I could see an arena shooter being a result of those ambitions (as a starter option at least)

DJIzana

So Cliffy comes crawling back to us.

Pretty sure the man is FAR from crawling back to anyone. He's Dude Huge. Huge success and he's likely doing this for fans of the arena shooter genre (and I'm sure for the money too) but yeah.. far from any "crawling back" stage.

Pretty sure the man is FAR from crawling back to anyone. He's Dude Huge. Huge success and he's likely doing this for fans of the arena shooter genre (and I'm sure for the money too) but yeah.. far from any "crawling back" stage.

Dude Hugely Unemployed you mean?

Hm I think CliffyB's interest in his "roots" will probably disappear right around the time a future Microsoft cheque clears his bank. Not to mention why does he even care about his roots ? He hasn't cared about PC gaming since the Xbox 360's release and has used every single opportunity to take giant shits on the PC platform.

The man has barrels of money. He's an investor in the Oculus Rift, too. Pretty sure he's good for awhile lol.

Sure, but you're only as good as your last gig. Cliffy isn't exactly some bright up and comer any more, he hasn't done much in the eyes of the public but sit around scratching his balls and tweeting since he left Epic.

Pociask

Was it Cliffy B who said in an interview that he liked doing private game reviews, for his own consumption?

I was kinda hoping he'd really stretch his creative muscles and try out some non-shooters. Ah well. Good luck Cliffy B, the world needs Arena Shooters too.

Heard it on Kevin Pereira's podcast on iTunes today, interesting listen.
www.deathsquad.tv/category/kevin-pereira-pointless/

Other tidbits...

-He can't talk in detail about the Epic split, but is still on good terms with some of them.
-Says he's ready to get back in the game and start his own studio.
-Hopes to use Unreal engine.
-Wants to get back to his roots with this project.
-He also speaks highly of the Oculus so the game will probably have support for that.
-Just speculation on my part for this, but I think Kickstarter might be the route he will go.

Curbstomp if old.

Isn't this what all developers say after not having a title come out for a while. I'll remain skeptical.

Top Bottom