• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

"A lot of these kids playing Call of Duty today I don't think they know what a proper arena shooter is...hit them across the fucking head!"

Well, goddamn lol

Enjoying this podcast, some good stuff in there.

Make it free to play. Put it on steam. Add cosmetic items that drop during gameplay that can be traded/dropped/sold on the marketplace. Give us a great spectator mode and bring back the Arena shooters.

If he just releases a deathmatch game that cost 15 bucks the higher the skill ceiling the quicker it will be dead outside of a few hundred people who will play it for years.

Atomski

Holy fuck.. soon as I saw the title. I am excite.

Yes Cliffy bring back Unreal like shooters to PC with mouse and keyboard only controls. We need it.

UE4 better be leaps ahead of UE3 in terms of performance/input/movement etc... Then I will begin to care about another UE engine FPS.

A prospective E-sports game shouldn't run on a cutting edge engine if it want any kind of support. Unless UE4 scales insanely well for low spec systems I think it would be a mistake to go cutting edge for an arena shooter.

Make it free to play. Put it on steam. Add cosmetic items that drop during gameplay that can be traded/dropped/sold on the marketplace. Give us a great spectator mode and bring back the Arena shooters.

If he just releases a deathmatch game that cost 15 bucks the higher the skill ceiling the quicker it will be dead outside of a few hundred people who will play it for years.

I think F2P with cosmetic stuff has to be good option. I dont see it going anywhere at retail. It will just end up the next Nexuiz, the market is probably not there anymore.

Omega

Banned

UE4 better be leaps ahead of UE3 in terms of performance/input/movement etc... Then I will begin to care about another UE engine FPS.

you guys are missing the point on what an arena shooter is supposed to be

you guys are missing the point on what an arena shooter is supposed to be

"Cosmetic" as in it will simply change the skin of the character you use(Not that anyone uses anything but bright skins). I don't just want another game that comes out is great and dies in a few months. The weapon pick ups and lack of leveling is what made arena shooters great. Cosmetic items will give this game a better means for the developer to make money. This genre won't attract new players at $15.

Valnen

Because Microsoft dumped him, and because fuck Sony right?

Or because he wants to make a PC game?

Personally I'd rather see him step outside his comfort zone and make something like an RPG. But that's mainly because I'm not good enough at video games to play an arena shooter.

Nymphae

Banned
Are there even any huge FPS's being played in the esports realm these days? I know there's Halo, but other then that, I thought competitive guys didn't really care for COD or BF.

Seems like there is a huge UT sized gap in gaming right now and whoever fills it first is going to clean up.

Slappers Only

The man is an insufferable emo on Twitter, but I can't deny that he's got a great design head on his shoulders. This has my attention, as I've been waiting for a proud return to arena shooters for years.

Are there even any huge FPS's being played in the esports realm these days? I know there's Halo, but other then that, I thought competitive guys didn't really care for COD or BF.

Seems like there is a huge UT sized gap in gaming right now and whoever fills it first is going to clean up.

CS GO is picking up steam again. CoD has a good sized pro scene on console. Halo is pretty much dead competitively. Quake Live is still active but it's mostly in Europe.

CS GO is picking up steam again. CoD has a good sized pro scene on console. Halo is pretty much dead competitively. Quake Live is still active but it's mostly in Europe.

CS GO has nothing on UT2K4, even if it may be newer. It may be more popular, but it is NO WHERE near as good.

Deadbeat

Banned
Hm I think CliffyB's interest in his "roots" will probably disappear right around the time a future Microsoft cheque clears his bank. Not to mention why does he even care about his roots ? He hasn't cared about PC gaming since the Xbox 360's release and has used every single opportunity to take giant shits on the PC platform.
But dude he's obviously serious about the pc platform now he's not gonna 180 /sarcasm

Nokterian

"A lot of these kids playing Call of Duty today I don't think they know what a proper arena shooter is...hit them across the fucking head!"

Well, goddamn lol

Enjoying this podcast, some good stuff in there.

Did he said that? Going to listen to it later but goddamn..a fast paced arena shooter cliff? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

FranXico

Smart choice. Sticking with PC as lead platform (initially, only platform in fact) still gives him the option to port to console if he so chooses.

Caayn

Arena shooter? Hell yes.

Halo isn't huge anymore in e-sports.

Tellaerin

"Cosmetic" as in it will simply change the skin of the character you use(Not that anyone uses anything but bright skins). I don't just want another game that comes out is great and dies in a few months. The weapon pick ups and lack of leveling is what made arena shooters great. Cosmetic items will give this game a better means for the developer to make money. This genre won't attract new players at $15.

Fuck that.

I want the Unreal Tournament/Q3A model, full stop. Buy the game at retail, get the content. Leave the game open for modders to create new maps, models, etc., rather than closing that functionality off so that they can nickel-and-dime you to death with playermodels and map packs to make up for the core game being free.

"I want the Unreal Tournament/Q3A model, full stop."

Personally, considering it's a multiplayer focused title, I want the model that allows for the largest multiplayer community and also the model that can bring in new players most easily so the community can stay as large as possible for as long as possible.

That model isn't the old UT/Q3A retail model.

Fuck that.

I want the Unreal Tournament/Q3A model, full stop. Buy the game at retail, get the content. Leave the game open for modders to create new maps, models, etc., rather than closing that functionality off so that they can nickel-and-dime you to death with playermodels and map packs to make up for the core game being free.

Well enjoy playing on 2 servers with 300 concurrent players 3 months after release. I just don't see that as a sustainable model anymore especially with such a niche genre.

He should pitch an idea to Sony and maybe they'll help him make the game.

I know I'm happy that it's PC only (master race over here), but if they could pull off a PS4 version that fully supports keyboard and mouse, and cross-platform play, then that would be very cool.

But for now, PC only. Please.

Perkel

Banned
Trust me, I love both, but I think UT2K4 is the overall better game. Especially even with the basic Onslaught mode, which was amazing.

I am talking about tightness of gameplay. No UT after UT99 was so responsive and tight as 99.

I would love to see 99 responivnes weapons etc with 2k4 modes like onslaught.

"Trust me, I love both, but I think UT2K4 is the overall better game. Especially even with the basic Onslaught mode, which was amazing."

Straight balance and map design-wise...UT2K4 is the worst of the series.

Tellaerin

"I want the Unreal Tournament/Q3A model, full stop."

Personally, considering it's a multiplayer focused title, I want the model that allows for the largest multiplayer community and also the model that can bring in new players most easily so the community can stay as large as possible for as long as possible.

That model isn't the old UT/Q3A retail model.

I want the model that encourages the formation of a lasting community. People are still playing and mapping for UT2k4 even today. Outside of TF2, I can't really think of any F2P games off the top of my head that have had that kind of staying power.

But hey, if you're the type of guy who has no interest in making maps, skins or models yourself and you're happy paying out the ass for a handful of new maps or a reskinned weapon, enjoy. Given some of CliffyB's thoughts on the state of the industry, I'm sure he'd be perfectly cool with that kind of monetization model.

Perkel

Banned
I found Cliffy B on a painting:

prodigalson.jpg

Finalizer

Given the whole "back to his roots" comment, I don't see this as being something viable for consoles.

Cliffy might be a moron on twitter, but if this thing results in something along the lines of UT2k4, I'm all in baby. And oh god, OR in a fast-paced twitch shooter... Dat motion sickness, weeee~

Top Bottom