• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

Zeliard

If it goes F2P hopefully it won't do what Quake Live and Tribes Ascend did. The former split its community base up with exclusive maps and the latter continually made bone-headed decisions about F2P costs and general game balancing through weapon unlocks.

"But after UTIII, I doubt he has the ability to make a great arena shooter again."

I don't think he even worked on UT3 in any significant capacity. Pretty sure GoW2 was in full production at that point.

And UT3 is, at a mechanics level, a good game.

Nokterian

Story? I don't really play SC2, so I don't know what the issues are.

Instead of using LAN like a lot of MP games did back then and some do now over a local network SC2 needs to be played over the internet for MP and this happend during a final if i remember when ISP disconnected or something and there is no MP game off course.

That's why the whole public went shouting we want lan because SC1 also had that and it works always better then staying connected to the internet. Even Dota 2 has LAN support.

eot

Banned
Story? I don't really play SC2, so I don't know what the issues are.

Finals of a major tournament, one player is poised to win the map when the game drops because it lost the connection to battle.net or whatever. Audience freaks out and starts chanting for LAN because this shit keeps happening, and Blizzard high-ups in the audience probably feel pretty embarrassed. The game gets replayed and the guy who was winning loses, and then goes on to lose the entire series.

That's how I remember it anyway.

edit: actually I think it was a team league, and those two were the star players for their respective teams, so that map pretty much decided the game.

Steel

Banned
The slowest arena shooters ever.. (thus the whole controller problem it has no option but be slow to work)

Also are they still though? Like Arena shooters have always been about controlling the map by getting weapon, health and boosts of some sort.

Hasnt Halo moved away from that to be more like COD?

It has, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong either, I played the original Unreal tourni's(And Championships) up to the newest ones. They were classics. Just saying that consoles and arena shooters aren't necessarily two things that can't go together.

RC

Banned
"But after UTIII, I doubt he has the ability to make a great arena shooter again."

I don't think he even worked on UT3 in any significant capacity. Pretty sure GoW2 was in full production at that point.

And UT3 is, at a mechanics level, a good game.

Toning down the movement options from 2k4 made everything feel slower. Of course I could forgive all that if the characters and weapon fire didn't blend into the environment.

"Toning down the movement options from 2k4 made everything feel slower. Of course I could forgive that and everything didn't blend into the surroundings."

The lack of dodge jumping resulted in smaller scale maps and made the weapon balance better over 2k4 as a result.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm starting to think that arena shooters are fundamentally niche but they came to prominence a decade or so ago because there weren't many options for online shooters at the time. I can't imagine that millions of Quake and UT players just stopped playing video games. They must have moved on to something else.

I don't even know what that particular niche wants right now, in terms of gameplay.

DJIzana

I would personally prefer it if Cliffy B kept is simple with the mechanics of the original 1999 Unreal Tournament. I absolutely love the level design, music, weapons and just yeah... simple movement mechanics of the original UT. I didn't like the dodging mechanics and want not from the newer Unreal games. Maybe I'm just old. :p

RC

Banned
"Toning down the movement options from 2k4 made everything feel slower. Of course I could forgive that and everything didn't blend into the surroundings."

The lack of dodge jumping resulted in smaller scale maps and made the weapon balance better over 2k4 as a result.

Too bad you could never tell who was shooting at you, or with what.
I enjoyed the freedom dodge jumping gave me in 2k4. In fact it spoiled me for all future FPS's.

J-Rzez

How about Cliffy teams up with Dylan Jobe to make a competitive shooter? That'd be neat. Something I'd have to look forward to along with H-Hour for competitive gameplay.

fhco

I can't imagine that millions of Quake and UT players just stopped playing video games. They must have moved on to something else.

I still play Quake Live daily, religiously. I pay full sub price for it every year because I don't want it to go away. I can't imagine an arena shooter being more perfect than Q3A, honestly.

Akai__

Well, let's hope this shows developers, that people indeed want to play arena shooters.

I'm aswell sick of FPS games, which have tons of weapons and "big" maps. Keep it simple and it may work.

Saying Halo removed all concepts of map control is factually wrong, though it is hardly an arena shooter anymore anyway so I guess it's moot.

legacyzero

Banned
I really do like Cliff. He's made some great games. (I still say UT3 was amazing, and GEARS. OMG.)

I eagerly await the reveal.

Finster

I would personally prefer it if Cliffy B kept is simple with the mechanics of the original 1999 Unreal Tournament. I absolutely love the level design, music, weapons and just yeah... simple movement mechanics of the original UT. I didn't like the dodging mechanics and want not from the newer Unreal games. Maybe I'm just old. :p

UT99 had dodging, no?

Wonko_C

Until I see it, I'm remaining pessimistic. as far as I'm concerned, it will be probably be called "Real Tournament", and it will be another brown ADS-ridden present day milititary shooter, only with Gotcha guns to keep with the Tournament atmosphere.

bisonyes.jpg

NeoGash

I actually believe he has what it takes to make a good arena shooter still. I just hope whoever his publisher is, isn't obnoxious.

I am sure the publisher will be an asshole.

Did´nt cliffy say something about supporting no used games on twitter I while back?

Someone like that aint no longer cool in my book.

I love cliffy´s games however and hopefully this one will rock.

InPlosion

I find the "I couldn't tell who shot me and from where" complaints hilarious.

Because you totally can nowadays right? With hitscan weapons and almost no health?
Hint, it's the killcam doing the job for you.

Top Bottom