• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

haikira

Arena Shooter? I'll take one of those please. Not to simply follow the hate train, but I'm utterly fed up with military shooters now and have been longing for the days of UT and Q3 again.

SparkTR

Another first person arena shooter? I really don't know what else people can do with it.

Movement was perfected with Quake 3. Spend the development trying to replicate that properly, then add modern hooks like replays and match-making.

I been starved for the return of arena shooters for far too long. Just make sure there's and instagib mode and I'll be there day one.

Mudcrab

Good luck with that! On PC, the non-military arena shooter genre seems pretty played out. It's MOBA's everywhere you look.

Tribes, Shootmania, Counterstrike GO, etc. didn't put up impressive numbers.

It's really the GENRE that has disappeared, IMO. These games were not bad games.

Make a worthy successor to Quake or UT and they will come. I know I would.

twofold

Good luck with that! On PC, the non-military arena shooter genre seems pretty played out. It's MOBA's everywhere you look.

It's really the GENRE that has disappeared, IMO. These games were not bad games.

CS:GO had 1.5 million unique players last month (http://blog.counter-strike.net/ - see sidebar), it hit a consecutive player peak of 94,000 a few weeks ago, and the finals of the DHW CS:GO tournament had 145,000 concurrent viewers, more than the SC2 finals.

So tell me, what's unimpressive about those numbers?

I'd say Shootmania was a bad game, btw. It was so dull.

f2p, only 2 guns and really wonky terrain glitches and the worst UI ever made, poor man's 1.6

The other attempts like nexuiz (or wtf is it called) were just awful (no strafejumping , that terrible cryengine 3 netcode)

The only good pc centric no compromise no nonsense competitive shooter recently is natural selection 2.

CS:GO had 1.5 million unique players last month (http://blog.counter-strike.net/ - see sidebar), it hit a consecutive player peak of 94,000 a few weeks ago, and the finals of the DHW CS:GO tournament had 145,000 concurrent viewers, more than the SC2 finals.

So tell me, what's unimpressive about those numbers?

I'd say Shootmania was a bad game, btw. It was so dull.
CS go only overtook 1.6 when it got gun hats... and ONLY because it has those

No BAD

Because the game would then become a commercial failure and any kind of attempt at the genre in the future will be shunned.

I think there is a vast area between Call of Duty numbers and commercial failure. Granted, I am also aware that many in the video game industry don't agree.

Make a worthy successor to Quake or UT and they will come. I know I would.

The thing is, you may be overestimating how much you'd like it to play such a game NOW. You once loved playing them, like everybody who was a gamer in the 90's/early oughts. But that was the golden age, like today is the golden age of the MOBA's. Teny years from now, people will fondly remember LoL and Dota.

And to the poster who said "Yeah 1st person shooters, nobody plays those." Sure people play 1st person shooters, but mostly console-based, experience-farming sim-based military shooters. We're talking twitchy multi-player arena, a completely different genre.

Steel

Banned
Another first person arena shooter? I really don't know what else people can do with it.

Could got the shadowrun route. Cept that's not quite an arena shooter, similiar mechanics and speed though.

What does Shadowrun the shooter count as, anyway?

twofold

f2p, only 2 guns and really wonky terrain glitches and the worst UI ever made, poor man's 1.6

The other attempts like nexuiz (or wtf is it called) were just awful (no strafejumping , that terrible cryengine 3 netcode)

The only good pc centric no compromise no nonsense competitive shooter recently is natural selection 2.

CS go only overtook 1.6 when it got gun hats... and ONLY because it has those

The weapon skins brought people back to the game, but the gameplay made them stick around. I prefer CS:GO to 1.6 nowadays - I think Valve has done a fantastic job with the game over the past year and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it in the future.

I was rather disappointed by NS2. It didn't feel anywhere as good as the original did, in my opinion, and I gave up on it after 10~ish hours. I don't find it a fun game to watch either, sadly. I guess my expectations were too high for that one.

"The thing is, you may be overestimating how much you'd like it to play such a game NOW. You once loved playing them, like everybody who was a gamer in the 90's/early oughts. But that was the golden age, like today is the golden age of the MOBA's. Teny years from now, people will fondly remember LoL and Dota."

I'm not overestimating how much I'd like to play such a game now, personally.

Mudcrab

Do we REALLY need another arena shooter on the PC? Or anywhere...?

You mean a good one, with modern technology in mind? Yes we really do.

Actually this seems like a fun thought experiment, "Do we REALLY need another space sim on the PC? Or anywhere...?"

If Sony was smart they'd give this guy the money to start up a studio and make a shooter for them.

he just said he wants to make an exclusive pc shooter.

I'm glad, it will be interesting to see what he can come up with no console restrictions.
I hope it has a single player component... and I hope he gets a decent writer.
If it is just a free to play arena game then I would try it out.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

There are 3 Counter-Strike games in the top 10 most played games on Steam at all times...

ksan

Hope it's not as casual as UT though

ut vs quake, the pc gamers' version of console wars?

For real, I'll play it if it's good, wouldn't mind f2p like dota 2/csgo, with weapon skins and shit.

Must have bleeding edge PC Phobos moon + ultra-violence.
600full.jpg

You mean a good one, with modern technology in mind? Yes we really do.

Well, I agree it would be interesting to see what such a product would do in today's market. I think it would be QUITE a gamble on the part of publishers to launch such a thing. (A twitchy, esports-focused, multi-player only, fast-paced, non-military arena shooter for PC.)

The older, nostalgic gaming crowd will buy in. But they'd also need to appeal to the LoL fans, people who didn't grow up with quake and UT being household names.

I mean, why didn't YOU play Quake Live for hundreds of hours? Or Planetside 2? Or Shootmania or CS: GO? I honestly think the genre is kinda played out--people more or less know what kind of experiences can be had there, and are looking for other things.

Interested to see what he does with this. Did he have much involvement in the development of Unreal Tournament 3?

Also, do many people still play Quake 3? I don't mean Quake Live, but the base game (i.e. the one that's on Steam).

Nokterian

"The thing is, you may be overestimating how much you'd like it to play such a game NOW. You once loved playing them, like everybody who was a gamer in the 90's/early oughts. But that was the golden age, like today is the golden age of the MOBA's. Teny years from now, people will fondly remember LoL and Dota."

I'm not overestimating how much I'd like to play such a game now, personally.

Join us on Dota 2 gaf! You will like it!

I just want another Wolfenstein ET :(

The modern shooter is spoon fed gratification stuff, not interested. I'd love a return to arena or objective based shooters. Obviously TF2 exists for objective play, but I just don't like the guns/classes enough to play long term.

Obviously the market is heading in an entirely different direction, but I see it as an opportunity to do something new. I'm sure whatever Cliffy B is doing will be sleek and marketable, nor will it struggle to find a player base assuming it's a good game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cliff if youre reading, would you teach me how to design levels?
will work 4 fray

Why in the world are people complaining about an arena shooter coming out when there are other games that should be complained about first?? Isn't it refreshing that we'll get a brand new one with new tech?

I know some people may not classify Halo as an arena shooter, but it definitely was. It was more methodical in its approach and worked great for consoles, so hopefully 343 makes Halo 5 more like CE and less like 4 (which clearly took after the myriad of military shooters with custom loadouts and perks, etc.).

AlexV

It seems like a bit of a leap to say an arena shooter from Cliffy would have meaningful Rift support. I forget whether it was on Rogan's or Pereira's podcast, but I think he said Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2 don't really work on the Rift because the movement is too fast and games need to be built from the ground up to work well with it. If the game was deliberate enough to accommodate the Rift, it probably wouldn't satisfy the people hoping for a successor to Unreal Tournament or Quake 3.

Atomski

Not the masses. Probably.

Cause thats what we want right? another shooter aimed at the masses. Fuck that.. a niche arena shooter is what Ive been begging for years, I dont care what the masses want.

As long as Cliffy keeps a good budget a Arena Shooter will make him plenty of cash.

Boss Man

PC only sucks for me, but please please please start making more arena shooters.

Edit: I'm so glad to see that other people are feeling this way. Last FPS I played that I could describe as anything other than COD: Modern Warfare was Resistance: Fall of Man (which I loved). Then that series became COD too (and died).

Hermii

Cause thats what we want right? another shooter aimed at the masses. Fuck that.. a niche arena shooter is what Ive been begging for years, I dont care what the masses want.

As long as Cliffy keeps a good budget a Arena Shooter will make him plenty of cash.

The budget probably doesn't have to be so large considering no cutscenes, story or even single player mode exept from a shallow one with bots is really necessary.

Top Bottom