• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says his next game will be a PC-only first person arena shooter

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The day Quake V Arena, and Unreal Tournament 4 are announced shall be the most glorious day ever.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Cliffy seems worried about vanishing into irrelevance.

it sounds like a man with ten times my income is about to ask me for money to make a video game and boy howdy am i going to give it to him.

stop being a teasing bitch and throw up the kickstarter. i want to see that light at the end of the arena FPS tunnel games before age turns my wrists to polystyrene.

CryptiK

People need to accept that Arena shooters wont be come popular again. GD Studio shooter will be a failure due to this reason you wont get a large audience and you sure as hell wont attract the COD kiddies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
People need to accept that Arena shooters wont be come popular again. GD Studio shooter will be a failure due to this reason you wont get a large audience and you sure as hell wont attract the COD kiddies.

The people who are actually interested probably consider that to be a good thing.

tipoo

Banned

grumpy-cat-good-1_1512.jpg

JDSN

Banned
Eh, doing the whole "im so old school" thing after releasing Gear of War? Someone is angling for that kickstarter cash.

gabbo

Eh, doing the whole "im so old school" thing after releasing Gear of War? Someone is angling for that kickstarter cash.

He likely wouldn't need to go Kickstarter with his resume.
Still, can he go even farther into his roots and put together the Jazz Jackrabbit 3D we never got? UT99/2k4-style shooter after that.

deadman69

why would he do this when he would ONLY be selling 1 million copies on pc when he could sell like 4.5 million on consoles? thought he was in this for the money and hated pc.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
After having played some CA in Quake Live this week, there's just no modern shooter that can compete with the freedom and speed of movement you have in games of that era. I really miss it. So yeah, good luck with that!

dtg

Neo Member
I'm still waiting for a decent arena shooter with modern gaming amenities (mostly matchmaking). I don't know why QL doesn't have it. Neither do all the FOSS arena shooters. It takes me longer to find a match in QL than almost any other game. The games themselves are fine and on the SP side things are getting better (a few games in development + recent releases). On the MP side, there are a few games in development, but nothing good has been released yet.

Seems obvious now, but I wasn't aware he left Epic on bad terms. His "good terms with some" comment caught me off guard. I always thought he decided to leave of his own volition.

PC shooter on UE3? (or 4 w/e)
Let's see if his 'proper' shooter releases without aim acceleration / smoothing on by default (it would be a first on the engine)

Let's see if he turns off that renderahead garbage and frame smoothing that hides the horrible stutter that is innate to ue3... (more input lag)

And if the netcode is any good...

Also curious if it'll have a proper strafejump speed modifier
And if enemies will contrast agains the background or if it'll be visual vomit like gears where enemies fade into the background...

Seems obvious now, but I wasn't aware he left Epic on bad terms. His "good terms with some" comment caught me off guard. I always thought he decided to leave of his own volition.

The whole thing seems a bit sketchy.
He says he can't legally talk about what happened so that leaves a lot up to question.
However he did say in the interview that the situation at Epic is much better now than when he left although he would never go back.

PC shooter on UE3? (or 4 w/e)
Let's see if his 'proper' shooter releases without aim acceleration / smoothing on by default (it would be a first on the engine)

Let's see if he turns off that renderahead garbage and frame smoothing that hides the horrible stutter that is innate to ue3... (more input lag)

And if the netcode is any good...

Also curious if it'll have a proper strafejump speed modifier
And if enemies will contrast agains the background or if it'll be visual vomit like gears where enemies fade into the background...

honest question, how many of these issues did UT3 have? at launch vs patched too, if you can recall.

anyways, I don't think there's many other people better positioned to head up such a project. hopefully they can get a team of people versed in the genre too.

and for the love of god, NO LEVELING OR GRINDING.

grkazan12

I agree with Cliffy and I think it's about time that we return back to an era of FPS multiplayers that actually required some skill to play. An arena FPS is due for a comeback, if done right, it can be a huge success on the PC. That concept art looks awesome as well.

I'm ready to believe Cliffy.

other_preach_gif.gif

The whole thing seems a bit sketchy.
He says he can't legally talk about what happened so that leaves a lot up to question.
However he did say in the interview that the situation at Epic is much better now than when he left although he would never go back.

Was the last game he made for them Gears of War 3? Doesn't seem like such a bad thing on his part. Must've been some weird administrative issues.

Nevertheless, I'm ready for an Arena Shooter, but not a PC gamer, unfortunately.

Because he is a person that spent the last 10 years disregarding the audience that made him? Now that he needs PC gamers he's back? No thanks.

True. But at the same time I'd like to consider that he lost his way and became ignorant when the Xbox/Xbox 360 entered the scene and now he's looking to find himself again. We can't deny that CliffyB and EPIC were responsible for some of the best gaming that any us have played before the whole Gears of War / UT3 crap happened.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Because he is a person that spent the last 10 years disregarding the audience that made him? Now that he needs PC gamers he's back? No thanks.

He doesn't. He does want to make an arena shooter on PC, that's it. He has so much money right now, he could retire for the rest of his life. View it this way, buying this game is your part in helping rejuvenate the arena fps genre and maybe even bring it back to the glory days of the past. Plus, if it's a good game, why not buy it?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
True. But at the same time I'd like to consider that he lost his way and became ignorant when the Xbox/Xbox 360 entered the scene and now he's looking to find himself again. We can't deny that CliffyB and EPIC were responsible for some of the best gaming that any us have played before the whole Gears of War / UT3 crap happened.
Sorry but no thanks.

He doesn't. He does want to make an arena shooter on PC, that's it. He has so much money right now, he could retire for the rest of his life. View it this way, buying this game is your part in helping rejuvenate the arena fps genre and maybe even bring it back to the glory days of the past.
i find this hilarious because he and Epic are part of the reason those glory days went away.

Plus, if it's a good game, why not buy it?
Because i have something called self-respect.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Sorry but no thanks.

i find this hilarious because he and Epic are part of the reason those glory days went away.

Because i have something called self-respect.

There is a difference between self respect and an unreasonable and petty grudge. You're being childish.

Tawpgun

Wish they would make an arena shooter for consoles.

Now that 343 is seemingly taking Halo off its Arena roots there is a niche there that would be nicely filled.

That said, if I can run it (most likely not) I'll play it.

and lol at everyone thinking Halo wasn't an Arena shooter. Arena shooter doesn't mean hyper fast movement.

To fit the definition of an Arena shooter all you need is for all players to start on equal footing, and for weapon spawns to be on the map. This truly makes it an "Arena" whereas other shooters now let you bring your advantages with you instead of earning them.

Even Gears is an Arena Shooter.

EDIT:

But I will say, the hyper fast arena shooters are dead and something like this would be amazing to bring back. I just fear it might be another Shoot Mania

Good luck with that! On PC, the non-military arena shooter genre seems pretty played out. It's MOBA's everywhere you look.

Tribes, Shootmania, Counterstrike GO, etc. didn't put up impressive numbers.

It's really the GENRE that has disappeared, IMO. These games were not bad games.

Deadbeat

Banned
Gears of War was released on PC, but no one bought it. Who ignored who again?
you had to pay live fees to play online and gfwl was a broken mess.

But hey if that's true and pc gamers ignored the game, then they will ignore this as well and he's wasting his time.

So why is he even bothering with this? Maybe he knows of the bullshit he spewed but that doesn't matter in the end. This proposal will have a 180 and he will be back to shitting on PC gamers soon enough.

Good luck with that! On PC, the non-military arena shooter genre seems pretty played out. It's MOBA's everywhere you look.

It's really the GENRE that has disappeared, IMO. These games were not bad games.

Tribes disappeared because the company that ran it did some stupidly shady shit and in turn, no one played it, and it failed. Shootmania, while being an arena shooter, didn't offer that much in the way of content. Plus the idea of it taking forever to come out after it was shown off didn't help. CS:GO is still very popular on Steam, however, I'd still rather play Source. Plus, CS:GO tried too hard to be an e-Sports title to be a true arena shooter... which I still don't think it is.

Space sims disappeared for a long time and now look at Star Citizen. When people on PCs want something dearly, they know where to put their money.

SparkTR

It was released a year later and was saddled with GFWL.

Not just GFWL, but paywalled multiplayer. The fact that they expected people to pay to use that piece of shit service makes me sick.

CSGO is doing pretty great now on PC. Tribes was mismanaged with infrequent updates, slow responses from developers, micro transactions and no SDK. Shootmania was not a good shooter.

Lucius86

Banned
Make a game just like UT99 and I will be a very happy bunny. About time someone gave it a good go at an arena FPS again.

The day Quake V Arena, and Unreal Tournament 4 are announced shall be the most glorious day ever.

But UT3 was pretty meh. Looked too much like Gears of War and hardly in-your-face action like the good old days. A lot of midfield/long range fighting.

Draft

Yeah good luck selling a first person shooter.

No one plays those anymore!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Another first person arena shooter? I really don't know what else people can do with it.

Top Bottom