• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closer look at a PS5 Devkit.......V means 5

NeoGiffer

The PlayStation Vajayjay

tenor.gif

Ar¢tos

Ds5 probably not ready yet, they are using ds4 with the devkit.
I don't mind the design. If the retail version is similar, I just hope it is in a single color.

thelastword

Banned
Side by side PS5 dev kits.

Somehow, I believe connectivity between two PS5's will be something of note next gen...…..Two PS5's linked together will net more processing power for local games, lan gaming and the cloud...….I can see Sony revolutionizing remoteplay and shareplay even more as well....

Gamernyc78

Banned
Somehow, I believe connectivity between two PS5's will be something of note next gen...…..Two PS5's linked together will net more processing power for local games, lan gaming and the cloud...….I can see Sony revolutionizing remoteplay and shareplay even more as well....

I hope so. Shareplay and remote play in and of themselves were very innovative and great features pushed by Sony. Shareplay is dope and my son uses it all the time to let his friends try games or to take over his friends games and beat certain levels for them.

Last edited:

Three

They had GT5 at 240fps and 4k last gen on 4 PS3s but I don't think they took it anywhere. It would only work for scalable things like framerate or resolution otherwise there will be no invested software support for it.

thelastword

Banned
They had GT5 at 240fps and 4k last gen on 4 PS3s but I don't think they took it anywhere. It would only work for scalable things like framerate or resolution otherwise there will be no invested software support for it.
Maybe there were some limitations last gen and not so much incentive...…...These days people have 2-4 consoles in their homes, especially if it serves nicely as a great DLNA/GAMING/APPS box...….I can imagine with all this budding "streaming and cloud technologies that currently taking place", that they would also look to leverage the combined power of the consoles you have for even higher resolutions and framerates in a virtual butterfly or four-winged MGPU type solution...…...

Imagine having two or four consoles at home (all linked), and they are now able to boost the games for anyone who's playing to say 8k or 4k 120fps or allow even higher frames and resolutions for PSVR 2.0 and all devices you connect to say your (console-grid).......It may have not been utilized before, but I can see it being something that can be huge next gen.........Hey, there's now a reason to buy two PS5's instead of one.......Those who want even more performance in their games gets it and Sony ends up selling even more consoles.....Win Win...

Kutaragi had a vision to do the same with Cell, but it didn't pan out.

Not sure if 1 Gbps Ethernet is enough for that.

But those are not new ds5 controllers ? They look like ds4 ones just with grey buttons. Or this is ds5 ?
6oOa83r.jpg
Well, since PS4 games are compatable on PS5, that means PS4 controllers are compatible too. Maybe the developer is just testing to make sure the game could be played with either controller?

The buttons on the dev kit controllers are always grey and featureless (no coloured shapes on the face buttons either). This is because those controllers have extra features that aren't available to the public, such as being able to bring up the debug overlay (RAM, CPU, etc) at any time, and also freeze the game or application to take a snapshot of the resource allocations. They also don't have a battery in them...! That's why you always see them plugged in.

thelastword

Banned
The buttons on the dev kit controllers are always grey and featureless (no coloured shapes on the face buttons either). This is because those controllers have extra features that aren't available to the public, such as being able to bring up the debug overlay (RAM, CPU, etc) at any time, and also freeze the game or application to take a snapshot of the resource allocations. They also don't have a battery in them...! That's why you always see them plugged in.
I was going to say that, besides, this is not a DS5, It's a DS4.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I rly rly hope that's not the consumer system design. I can see the merits of it in terms of cooling if the left and right side house components that require so but it just looks so so bad, even most of the 32bit systems looked less tacky back then...

Last edited:
Maybe there were some limitations last gen and not so much incentive...…...These days people have 2-4 consoles in their homes, especially if it serves nicely as a great DLNA/GAMING/APPS box...….I can imagine with all this budding "streaming and cloud technologies that currently taking place", that they would also look to leverage the combined power of the consoles you have for even higher resolutions and framerates in a virtual butterfly or four-winged MGPU type solution...…...

Imagine having two or four consoles at home (all linked), and they are now able to boost the games for anyone who's playing to say 8k or 4k 120fps or allow even higher frames and resolutions for PSVR 2.0 and all devices you connect to say your (console-grid).......It may have not been utilized before, but I can see it being something that can be huge next gen.........Hey, there's now a reason to buy two PS5's instead of one.......Those who want even more performance in their games gets it and Sony ends up selling even more consoles.....Win Win...

how many PS5s would it take to run anything even remotely graphically intense at 8k/120fps?

But those are not new ds5 controllers ? They look like ds4 ones just with grey buttons. Or this is ds5 ?
6oOa83r.jpg

It looks like the recent controller patent that came out. Notice the USB-C cable plugged into it, the flat ridge top of the touch pad (not curved like DS4) and overall just seems wider like the patent diagram showed when compared to the DS4.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It looks like the recent controller patent that came out. Notice the USB-C cable plugged into it, the flat ridge top of the touch pad (not curved like DS4) and overall just seems wider like the patent diagram showed when compared to the DS4.
But weren’t the “share” and “options” buttons horizontal in the patent for the ds5?

edit: typed “where’s”

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
how many PS5s would it take to run anything even remotely graphically intense at 8k/120fps?
Since 8k is quadruple the number of pixels of 4k...just like 4k is to 1080p...i'd say 4 consoles will give you enough processing power to hit 8k 120fps.....but of course we're talking AAA games. Of course you will need less consoles to do 8k 60fps, 4k 120fps or even 16k 30fps....

llien

I feel dumb but... exactly what could possible push air to flow from outer side of V into inner part (or vice versa)?
A freaking array of small coolers???

Please don't be loud as P|s4 Pro... :(

I just want to now say that the above is total BS and I just made it up on the spot because ... well, just because. Sorry :)

thelastword

Banned
Such a great design, exhaust vents in the middle and exhaust vents at the back...….Sony is really serious about it's cooling solution this gen, which means they are packing some serious processing power and internals....A sub chip for A.I, Physics or Sound/Media is looking more likely, even a Sub chip to help with BC....

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Such a great design, exhaust vents in the middle and exhaust vents at the back...….Sony is really serious about it's cooling solution this gen, which means they are packing some serious processing power and internals....A sub chip for A.I, Physics or Sound/Media is looking more likely, even a Sub chip to help with BC....

You seriously think that looks good?

thelastword

Banned
You seriously think that looks good?
Yes, as a matter of fact, because they went through so much trouble with such a design for the devkit means that with the PS5, even if it doesn't look exactly like that will have a similar or a very unique design. A cooling patent was already filed by Sony some time ago...so we know they have something special there.

Dev kits are normally basic looking boxes, in some cases just PC's with lots of ports......Consoles are normally squared up, hard edge'd boxes, even XBONE in 2013 launched with the look of an 80's VCR box or rather an HT system......I welcome a more exotic design for consoles as opposed to the samey, been there done that designs.....

Top Bottom