• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo Discussion: Drastic fall in survey values coming on July 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seda said:
Thanks. I'll get it when I can I think.

I didn't frame The History of Zelda poster yet because it's such a goofy size and I'm a cheapass, but the other two look great.

YcUqt.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Clipper said:
The news bar mentions the change to survey registrations for newly registered products.

New change to the T&C says:

So yeah, no more early registrations to get bonus coins in later years... What a pity.

Thank goodness I decided to import the 3DS from the US, though. I shouldn't have any problems making it to Platinum given I'm forced to import everything now, rather than choosing to import or buy local.
I just checked the ones I had registered and they still have the original expiry dates. I guess this only applies to future registrations. I'll hold off registering my 3DS until July. I'm also glad I didn't top up my Platinum for this year yet so that I can get the early registration bonus from Pilotwings when I pick it up tomorrow.

Clipper

Thought I'd remind people as we're at the top of a page... Coins earned in the '08-'09 period and not yet spent will be expiring in July. If you never spent anything but registered stuff back then, it's time to start spending.

Fuzzy said:
I just checked the ones I had registered and they still have the original expiry dates. I guess this only applies to future registrations. I'll hold off registering my 3DS until July. I'm also glad I didn't top up my Platinum for this year yet so that I can get the early registration bonus from Pilotwings when I pick it up tomorrow.
Yep. It does say it only applies to registrations made now and in the future.

In fact, we probably should add a title change for this just to let people know. I just would have messaged Red previously, but she's not a mod any more. Anybody seen any mods posting in this thread lately?

DJ_Tet

Banned
That sucks cause I had a few codes that I just hadn't entered yet from being lazy. Now I have to be careful again to manage my coins/surveys so not to waste any potential platinum/gold coins.

jgkspsx

This is stupid. So now their most dedicated sucke- I mean customers will wait to register titles instead of waiting to do registration surveys, which is even worse for Nintendo's market research. Bizarre.

Oddly enough, the news post about registration periods is dated 3/25, but I registered Steel Diver and Pilotwings yesterday and their expiration dates are in 2015. Go figure, huh?

This really sucks for downloadables, because the postplay surveys will expire after four months. Thankfully, they're probably not going to release anything worth downloading until near the start of a new points year.

This is looking like my last year for Platinum. It's been fun.

... actually I haven't cared about any of the Platinum rewards besides the middling ebay value, so maybe I shouldn't care.

Clipper

jgkspsx said:
This is stupid. So now their most dedicated sucke- I mean customers will wait to register titles instead of waiting to do registration surveys, which is even worse for Nintendo's market research. Bizarre.

Oddly enough, the news post about registration periods is dated 3/25, but I registered Steel Diver and Pilotwings yesterday and their expiration dates are in 2015. Go figure, huh?

This really sucks for downloadables, because the postplay surveys will expire after four months. Thankfully, they're probably not going to release anything worth downloading until near the start of a new points year.

This is looking like my last year for Platinum. It's been fun.

... actually I haven't cared about any of the Platinum rewards besides the middling ebay value, so maybe I shouldn't care.
I don't see how this would really have too much effect on you going platinum. It just means holding onto your codes until the next year. The only coins you lose by doing this are the early registration coins.

It's not really that big of a deal and it will get people like me to start filling in the surveys rather than leaving them for years, without Nintendo getting any of my feedback.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm sitting on Excitebots and NPC Pikmin codes -- anyone have any idea if -any- codes have "expired" so far? I've yet to hear of someone complaining that a registered code didn't work, or gave 0 coins.

Gravijah

DavidDayton said:
I'm sitting on Excitebots and NPC Pikmin codes -- anyone have any idea if -any- codes have "expired" so far? I've yet to hear of someone complaining that a registered code didn't work, or gave 0 coins.

I've registered stuff like SM64 DS in the past year. They don't expire.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AbsoluteZero said:
I didn't frame The History of Zelda poster yet because it's such a goofy size and I'm a cheapass, but the other two look great.

YcUqt.jpg
I just bended the edges (It is like half an inch to wide) and stuck it in a standard frame, leaving the top and bottom with white space.

I had the wind waker poster up too, but the frame broke so I put it away.

RussellXV

Clipper said:
Thought I'd remind people as we're at the top of a page... Coins earned in the '08-'09 period and not yet spent will be expiring in July. If you never spent anything but registered stuff back then, it's time to start spending.

Yep. It does say it only applies to registrations made now and in the future.

In fact, we probably should add a title change for this just to let people know. I just would have messaged Red previously, but she's not a mod any more. Anybody seen any mods posting in this thread lately?
How can I find out if I spent coins from the '08-'09 period? I have many coins saved up, but I have used many coins as well.

Clipper

15RC said:
How can I find out if I spent coins from the '08-'09 period? I have many coins saved up, but I have used many coins as well.
Check out your 'My Coins' page. It will tell you when you spent and earned your coins. Add up all your earnings prior to 1 July 2009. Also add up all your spending for the whole list. If your pre-2009 coin total is larger than your total spend, then those coins will be lost on July 1 2011 unless you spend more by then.

What's the rationale behind expiring points, anyway? I'll never earn enough points to buy anything ever again if some of what I have expire.

I guess I'll just have to be forever happy with my Mario fan and poster. Still the best things they've put up, though, so I shouldn't be complaining.

Gravijah

SciencePilot said:
What's the rationale behind expiring points, anyway? I'll never earn enough points to buy anything ever again if some of what I have expire.

I guess I'll just have to be forever happy with my Mario fan and poster. Still the best things they've put up, though, so I shouldn't be complaining.

To force you to spend them.

Clipper

SciencePilot said:

Unless you spend them, they expire two years after the year in which you earned them ends. Thus, two years after the next July 1 is the day they disappear.

Oh, misread the question... Yeah, they set it up that way so that you wouldn't hoard coins indefinitely.

RussellXV

Clipper said:
Check out your 'My Coins' page. It will tell you when you spent and earned your coins. Add up all your earnings prior to 1 July 2009. Also add up all your spending for the whole list. If your pre-2009 coin total is larger than your total spend, then those coins will be lost on July 1 2011 unless you spend more by then.
Found out that I got 680/720 coins after July 1, 2009. Need to find a reward that is at least 40 coins.

Clipper

Big Papa Husker said:
How do I see how many points away from Platinum I am? I can't find the page.
One place is in the sidebar in the grey box with your username under the CN logo. If you have reached Gold or Platinum status, you'll have a shield there which you can click. I think there's something else there before you get Gold too. Just click the shield or top-right of the grey box and a pop-up with your progress to the next status level should be displayed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
no EU thread so I'll just post here :)

Never really bothered with club nintendo, but registered my 3DS in the vague hope of getting a t-shirt.

I just went through my old Wii and DS games and surprisingly the points all registered! Even ancient stuff that was still 'nintendo VIP'.

strange that Streetfighter IV 3D gives you more points than pokemon black..

The change to the NOA policy could be two things (one or both):
-Too many people intending to buy and not going through or going through when the game costs $10 (e.g. Bomba of Hereacles)
-No more free post play surveys? To be fair, Nintendo stopped caring what you thought about March of the Minis some time into development of the Minis March Again...(i.e. they will only collect feedback for a few months after release*...at least here in Europe it used to random e-mails if you registered day 1 but then it became the survey would appear for a couple of weeks a month after release...once it disappears from your page you cannot enter it).

The expiration is there to make you buy stuff more frequently or even random bomba games. I know lots of people here in Europe ended up buying Jam with Band just as it would get them 200 stars closer to the prize they wanted.

*-I feel this skews it somewhat.

mrklaw said:
no EU thread so I'll just post here :)

Never really bothered with club nintendo, but registered my 3DS in the vague hope of getting a t-shirt.

I just went through my old Wii and DS games and surprisingly the points all registered! Even ancient stuff that was still 'nintendo VIP'.

strange that Streetfighter IV 3D gives you more points than pokemon black..
The only Nintendo VIP stuff that should work is hardware or old DS games (I think these never expire but ones that came out after the expiration system was bought in, do expire even if they have no date on the slip, I lost Ace Attorney Justice for All to this*). All GBA and Gamecube games shouldn't work as they were all expired in 2008 I think. Also if any slips said 250 stars on them and didn't give 250 stars contact customer services and they will correct it for you. You'll probably need images of the slips as evidence.

As for Streetfighter IV well it costs €5 more (making it €45) then Pokemon (technically, it should be 225 Stars but whatever...).

*-I did register it on what should have been the last valid day as well so when it says expires on, its already expired. Given the deductions are done by month and end of month you registered 24 months after, you might as well register any stuff due to expire at the start of the month as there is no penalty.
I also lost Hotel Dusk due to doing this too late so thats 400 stars gone and I could have my "Baby Come Back" Metroid Other M ringtone with those...

maeda said:
What the fuck? Why don't 3rd party games have a pin voucher? Evil Nintendo!
They do in Japan (since the inception of the service)...and for participating publishers in Europe for 3DS (which so far is all games) and only for 3DS.

Don't mean to start an argument or have the "thats unfair, NOA sucks moar". The Japanese points decay in value as well as expire and Europe has no elite membership bonus (we can buy the platinum prizes for like twice what you need to be eligible...) and some well, pointless gifts (3 Metroid Other M ringtones 5 months after the game came out and to make matters worse, registering Other M doesn't even get you enough points to buy even 1 plus finally, they don't tell you what the music is)

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
God damnit... I've been hoarding coins and waiting for something rad... now I have to spend a shit load of coins before they expire....

I have 2,760 coins... and 1,670 of those are from 2009.

Where is my damn SNES controller so I can stop hoarding?!

Gravijah

El_TigroX said:
God damnit... I've been hoarding coins and waiting for something rad... now I have to spend a shit load of coins before they expire....

Maybe it's the platinum gift this year!

:'''(

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
Maybe it's the platinum gift this year!

:'''(

My statue in a box and Doc's Punch-Out code that I gave away to some dude on GAF laugh at you....

:( :( :(

I'm going to hold out JUST a bit longer until I know they are about to expire... then I'll probably get the stupid Game and Watch collections.

qq more

El_TigroX said:

SNES controller would likely be a platinum reward than a shop reward (given that it was a platinum prize or something in Japan? Correct me if I'm wrong.). It's probably best to spend those coins soon!

Glix

El_TigroX said:
My statue in a box and Doc's Punch-Out code that I gave away to some dude on GAF laugh at you....

:( :( :(

I'm going to hold out JUST a bit longer until I know they are about to expire... then I'll probably get the stupid Game and Watch collections.

Code instead of Mario Hat??? You smoking crack, boy?

AniHawk

i still have a bunch of codes from hoarded surveys thanks to the survey hoarding from years ago, so it looks like i'll be pretty much caught up sometime next year.

eastmen said:
where is the pin number for lego star wars 3ds ?
Assuming you are in Europe (or Japan but the game isn't out there yet...) then read the following:

Okay thats odd. NOEs site when you browse 3DS the tick Club Nintendo in search options finds it. When you search Wii,DS and 3DS and do the same it doesn't find it (making Lucusarts the only publisher not to participate...so far). If you can't find the pin in the box (its an insert) then it looks like the latter is correct and the search is bugged for the former.

If you are in America follow Oli's post.

To anyone else. If you really feel opposed to the rare Europe Club Nintendo discussion (though to be fair the threads title doesn't state America...) or get confused by it (it'll get worse now that most 3DS games are coming with codes, even third party) I could throw up a neglected thread which which everyone forgets about (thus not posting in it when they want to actually discuss something related to the scheme in Europe, the few times that actually happens...) or is 90% me posting 'news' like "Metroid Other M ringtone 4 added. #Something added to stars bonus".

qq more said:
SNES controller would likely be a platinum reward than a shop reward (given that it was a platinum prize or something in Japan? Correct me if I'm wrong.). It's probably best to spend those coins soon!
One thing that makes me wonder. The EU SNES controller was different packaging (to mirror the controller packaging) and it has Super Nintendo logo as opposed to Super Famicom otherwise same as Japan. Now America, you've got different colours and different buttons (two concave ones, was it) so the manufacture takes more effort (so they have the molds for the buttons anymore, can they recreate them).

As for my thoughts: They should have come out with the controllers at retail in 2007 and used them as VC PR for all the systems on the scheme. Something like $20 controller and you get a download ticket for a game too (not too different to the points and classic controller they did in Japan).

BooJoh

Looks like now I have a reason to complete surveys of games I haven't actually played yet, just to make sure they don't expire.

My Nintendogs and Pilotwings intend to buy options still say 2016, so hopefully that means I can still get that bonus if I don't manage to get my 3DS by the end of April.

Clipper

BooJoh said:
Looks like now I have a reason to complete surveys of games I haven't actually played yet, just to make sure they don't expire.

My Nintendogs and Pilotwings intend to buy options still say 2016, so hopefully that means I can still get that bonus if I don't manage to get my 3DS by the end of April.
Those expiry dates won't change. However, if you were to register them today instead of whenever you did it, the expiry dates would be a week away.

Starwolf_UK said:
The change to the NOA policy could be two things (one or both):
-Too many people intending to buy and not going through or going through when the game costs $10 (e.g. Bomba of Hereacles)
-No more free post play surveys? To be fair, Nintendo stopped caring what you thought about March of the Minis some time into development of the Minis March Again...(i.e. they will only collect feedback for a few months after release*...at least here in Europe it used to random e-mails if you registered day 1 but then it became the survey would appear for a couple of weeks a month after release...once it disappears from your page you cannot enter it).
Neither of those reasons are affected by this change. The expiry dates are how soon after you enter the registration code on the site that the codes expire, not how soon after release of a game.

There is only one reason I can think of why they have done this, and it is to avoid those that are registering codes, but choosing to leave their surveys unfilled to maximise their Platinum potential. They don't want you letting your post play survey sit there for 5 years before you give them feedback. This new change means they get the feedback they want. The drawback to the consumer is they now just need to wait for the desired CN year to register their code instead of waiting until then to fill in the survey. They lose the early registration bonuses by doing this, but that is all.

AniHawk

if i did the math right, 2710 coins.

i've got the zelda poster set, the manpurse/handbag thing, and the hanafuda cards. game and watch is next.

Zihark

I also got the wii party surprise pack. Reached platinum status the last two years, though i don't know if that had anything to do with this.

Gravijah

AniHawk said:
if i did the math right, 2710 coins.

i've got the zelda poster set, the manpurse/handbag thing, and the hanafuda cards. game and watch is next.

you don't need that dominoes giftcard

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom