• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo/Star Points on Virtual Console

Tadaima

Okay, so we know that Nintendo will be selling points for us to download VC games on Wii, but what about using the existing points from your Japanese/European (and American?) Nintendo accounts?

Has anyone asked if this will be possible?

I have about 7,000 star points in my account right now, and it might prevent Europeans from importing if they know that they'd be able to get a VC game download with every few games they buy from their homeland.

Besides, NOE's Stars Catalogue is.. crap.

Lee N

Membre
Eddz said:
Besides, NOE's Stars Catalogue is.. crap.
.. and several countries in europe (sweden among others) doesn't have a stars catalogue, nor do they get any star points when buying games.

So no, I doubt it will prevent me from importing.

Tadaima

Shig said:
At least you have something. Best NA was ever offered was a pink stylus.

Yeah, but us guys (UK in particular) often end up paying around double the price of you guys for games.

HMM, DESKTOP WALLPAPER OR ANOTHER GAME...

Caaz

The VIP catalog exists in France. The thing is, we almost never any interesting item. I mean, we didn't even have the VIP DS packs (Euro DS before Euro Release, with SM64DS (US version), and two demos: Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, and Wario Ware Touched), and we never get a lot of material goodies available in Belgium or UK, for example... I got a collector Zelda DVD, at least.

... I shouldn't be negative. We have WALLPAPERS. That's an honor. Those things must take a lot of place on their FTP. Place they PAY. Ergo the Wii's price.

Five points a day (for one visit) would mean a free NES game every 100 days! That would at least be better than today's nothingness.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Belgium's catalogue is sucky as hell too. The material goodies were nothing special and lasted...4 days? Everyone was so excited there was something material on it that they sold out immediately. 2000 points for an FFCC soundtrack that contains 4 songs, or 4000 for a "game" like Pokémon Box isn't what I would call awesome.

Summary: the star catalogue is a good concept with one of the suckiest executions ever, and could potentially be saved by linking it to VC downloads. However, as they haven't even so far as mentioned it in the London conference, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
After getting a Kingdom Hearts themed SP, Wario World, Pokemon Coloseum, Pac Pix Stylus, Metroid, Starfox and Kingdom Hearts Posters, Donkey Konga 2 and bongos

I'd take the Star Points, if you don't mind.

Spain's catalogue is not that bad, but the good things only last like ten minutes. We've had the VIP DS, LE Mario controllers for GC (the red and blue one which was also given away by Nintendo Japan), games (right now I remember Animal Crossing, 1080º, Metroid Fusion, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Metroid Prime Echoes, Pokémon Box, Pokémon Colosseum, Project Rub, Zelda Collectors...), GBA players, LE Zelda GBA SPs with Minish Cup and other items and stuff such as Nintendogs plushes, Nintendo themed tees, watches and straps... Could be worse.

guise

Hopefully we'll at least be able to spend a few star points and get the wii a few days before the street date like Nintendo did with the DS

MrPrime

It may be a silly question but i'm wondering if anyone knows if prices for games (depending on which console they originaly come from of course) has been determined.

deepred

I just got a newsletter from Nintendo Europe (France to be precise).

It says that Wii Points can be bought with Star Points, and if you buy VC Games, you'll earn a few Star Points after answering a survey. All you need is to "link" your Wii Shopping Channel account to your Star Points account.

:D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Shig said:
At least you have something. Best NA was ever offered was a pink stylus.

I thought that's how we got Zelda Collector's Edition also?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I got the same email, though from the UK.

To quote exactly:

Link your account for additional benefits:
By linking your Wii Shop Channel account to your online Nintendo membership, you will be able to enjoy additional benefits in the near future. Not only will you then be able to purchace Wii Points in the Stars Catalogue, you will also get stars for your Virtual Console purchases upon completing a small survey.

There's a Stars Catalogue? *has never even looked*

Cool, 510 points. I wonder if that converts directly into VC points. Not much if so, but the Wii and Zelda should add quite a lot. Might even have some games lying around unregistered.

That's... okay since a lot of people don't even own credit cards over here.

But I'd spend my 16.000 stars rather on some rare collector's stuff... Yeah, I've been waiting for this for a long time now :[

deepred

:Motorbass said:
That's... okay for kids, since a lot of (adults) don't even own credit cards over here.

But I'd spend my 16.000 stars rather on some rare collector's stuff... Yeah, I've been waiting for this for a long time now :[

I agree with you, except that there is almost never rare collector's stuff to buy with Star Points... :( And when there is, everything disappears in less than 30 minutes... :(

Stitch

Gold Member
wow thats cool, but i've spend 5000 points/stars for age of empire DS last month :lol
oh well, it was worth it, the game rocks :D

deepred

Stitch said:
wow thats cool, but i've spend 5000 points/stars for age of empire DS last month :lol
oh well, it was worth it, the game rocks :D

I did too, but I still have almost 8000 Stars ! :lol

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
maynerd said:
Umm...they'll get em at some point while I will never get the cool club stuff. LAME

Do you get VC games with black borders and slower framerates? I'll trade.

Leonsito

Spanish e-email, featuring Wii babe:

DM_Wii_LaunchMail_esES_r1_c1.jpg

Eddz said:
Yeah, but us guys (UK in particular) often end up paying around double the price of you guys for games.
So would getting some VC points convince you to pay double for a later-released game rather than import?

maynerd

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Do you get VC games with black borders and slower framerates? I'll trade.

Bah you guys have had the club thing before the wii and vc titles. It's your fault for having PAL.

painey

I have 3,000 star points right now and i dont think theres been an update this year. I got a Pac Man stylus from namco and Super Smash Brothers Melee for GC (which turned up as in a crappy players choice box) I played it, hated it and ebayed it.

Luigison

I contacted NOA about this a few months ago and like always they said they'd look into it and never got back to me.

I have every registrable game except the VC titles registered on Nintendo.com. There should be some reward besides icons, images, and screen savers. Those haven't even been working lately.

I have 460 points from about 3 things I brought this year, I decided to see what I could get and well, never spent them.

I highly doubt 460 star points would translate to wii points, that would be too kind of any company.

Tadaima

JoshuaJSlone said:
So would getting some VC points convince you to pay double for a later-released game rather than import?

yeah man toterly man <333

I knew it would happen; I should have made a ban bet so I'd feel rewarded and can point and laugh at you fools when I have my awesome tag.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Luigison said:
I contacted NOA about this a few months ago and like always they said they'd look into it and never got back to me.

I have every registrable game except the VC titles registered on Nintendo.com. There should be some reward besides icons, images, and screen savers. Those haven't even been working lately.

Wait... is this THAT Luigison?

Neo Child

Banned
->Buy Wii Points with stars -> Spend stars on VC games -> Register VC games for stars -v
^----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<-

Zynx

Neo Child said:
->Buy Wii Points with stars -> Spend stars on VC games -> Register VC games for stars -v
^----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<-

Well, they won't give you as many stars as you spent on the VC games, so the cycle won't continue without external input...

But I was under the impression that you could get stars just for logging in to the nintendo europe site and such? If so, you could earn a small number of wii points regularly for VC purchases!

Luigison

DavidDayton said:
Wait... is this THAT Luigison?
Yes it is.

I just rechecked my registered games and it's only the Wii games Zelda: TP and Excite Truck that say, "Sorry, special content areas temporarily unavailable." Do VC titles also say this?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
There better be a good exchange rate between stars and points, I have over 10000 stars and I don't want them all disappearing when I buy 1 game.

rhino4evr

I remember when they were giving out the Zelda Collectors Edition. I went to blockbuster and took the registration codes from the rental game boxes. Free Collector's Edition for me!! :D

Americans cannot ****ing ccomplain, actually I don't think anyone can. The UK officially has the shortest end of any stick when it comes to gaming. Our GBA games range from £20-£35. All the good Nintendo ones are like £27-£35. The most expensive being Pokemon. Off course if you shop around you can find Pokemon for £25, that is still fukin $50. You hear me. $50. Its a joke. I am converting it for you to make it easier. And on top of that our Stars catalogue is a joke. When they have something worthwile, like 3 times a year, there are about 100 in quanitity, and thats when they feel generous. It goes in less than a second. Games are impossible to find.

EG I have never seen the following games in store

Paper mario TTYD
Mario Advance: Yoshi's Island
Mario Advance: SMB2
Mario Advance
Advance Wars
Zelda ALLTP four swords
Metroid Fusion / Zero Mission
and thats just a few. Trying to find Nintendo games in this country is impossible

For GC games I understand its a dead system, but GBA for gods sake. They could have sold around 200,000 of the Mario Advance series if they ever were released here. I swear, I have been to GAME and all other retailers and never seen them. Instead the shelves are filled with crap, like Bratz, Cats and dogs, and Disney licenses, and Film licenses. And the one time you see a good game its like £25 for Minish cap, 3-4 years after its release.

Top Bottom