• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CMV: Doom Eternal is better than 2016 in every way besides the plot

Too much of a departure from previous Doom games IMO and the level designs became silly with the monkey bars and floating platforms without any in-universe explanation for those.
Nope. If anything it's more in line with the spirit of the retro Doom games than 2016 was.

The platforming segments add more variety to the level design than just walk to each objective listen to a minute of dialogue press R3 fight enemies, walk to next objective listen to dialogue press R3 fight enemies rinse and repeat.

There doesn't need to be an explanation. It's fun. These type of games have always prioritised gameplay over lore/story.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Nope. If anything it's more in line with the spirit of the retro Doom games than 2016 was.

The platforming segments add more variety to the level design than just walk to each objective listen to a minute of dialogue press R3 fight enemies, walk to next objective listen to dialogue press R3 fight enemies rinse and repeat.
Nope, you didn't have to do this amount of circling around and crazy acrobatics in any of the previous games.

Yeah those things add more variety but at the price of making the levels more like gamey battle arena's rather than part of lived in world overrun by demonic forces. IMO the previous Doom had a good balance of providing battle areas in levels that didn't look like solely made for those purposes.

legacy24

giphy.webp

Nope, you didn't have to do this amount of circling around and crazy acrobatics in any of the previous games.

Yeah those things add more variety but at the price of making the levels more like gamey battle arena's rather than part of lived in world overrun by demonic forces. IMO the previous Doom had a good balance of providing battle areas in levels that didn't look like solely made for those purposes.

Which is good. Doom has always been "gamey". Games are meant to be "gamey". If I wanted to watch a movie i'd do that instead. It's not like 2016 was that immersive either with random launch pads everywhere, I don't see why any of the UAC scientists would need that when stairs exist.

MiguelItUp

I haven't seen many threads that read like replies to other threads, impressive, lol. 🤣

I enjoyed both. Each had their positives and negatives. I didnt mind the platforming of Doom Eternal. Resource management was a bit annoying but the shooting was just so good.
I couldn't agree more. I've loved DOOM ever since I was a kid, so there's most certainly a bias, but after some time I basically felt the same way you did. In the long run I personally thought the overall vibe and package of 2016 (Snapmap & much better multiplayer) was superior to Eternal. But I definitely loved them both.

Ulysses 31

Which is good. Doom has always been "gamey". Games are meant to be "gamey".
You're not saying much of substance here.

I'm not talking making Doom games less gamey, I'm talking about keeping it more in line as how was up till 2016.
If I wanted to watch a movie i'd do that instead. It's not like 2016 was that immersive either with random launch pads everywhere, I don't see why any of the UAC scientists would need that when stairs exist.
Why would they still use stairs when they have launch pad tech? It actually helps sell that world better with the lack of stairs in that sci-fi setting, you know, world building. The monkey bars and floating platforms make we wonder how things operated before the demons came along and it's absurd how to imagine others could swing and air jump like Doom Slayer to get those those areas.

Last edited:
Resource management is the game. It’s the extra layer on top of everything that makes it so tactically fun to play. People don’t like that so you’re gonna get people saying 2016 was better - but 2016 was a fairly standard FPS imo. I tried playing it after eternal and couldn’t get through it. the movement in doom eternal is also some of the best ever in an FPS — there’s really no game quite like it

You're not saying much of substance here.

I'm not talking making Doom games less gamey, I'm talking about keeping it more in line as how was up till 2016.

Why would they still use stairs when they have launch pad tech? It actually helps sell that world better with the lack of stairs in that sci-fi setting, you know, world building. The monkey bars and floating platforms make we wonder how things operated before the demons came along and it's absurd how to imagine others could swing and air jump like Doom Slayer to get those those areas.
You're prioritising lore and immersion over gameplay which would be making it less gamey.

Launch pads to get around the base would be a bad idea realistically due to the laws of gravity and how fragile human bones are.

Last edited:
Resource management is the game. It’s the extra layer on top of everything that makes it so tactically fun to play. People don’t like that so you’re gonna get people saying 2016 was better - but 2016 was a fairly standard FPS imo. I tried playing it after eternal and couldn’t get through it. the movement in doom eternal is also some of the best ever in an FPS — there’s really no game quite like it
Exactly, this guy gets it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a difficult game to recommend because it really doesn't come together for a few levels on the first playthrough. Takes time to get used to the juggle and you don't start with enough weapons, from what I remember. I was really apprehensive and disappointed at first, but sometime around level 3, maybe 4? Everything snapped into place and it became pure combat ballet. I ended up unable to put it down until I beat it at like 2:30am and I couldn't sleep afterwards I so pumped still.

2016 is just a very different game, I don't think it's inherently better or worse, but I've replayed neither since they both came out.

It's a difficult game to recommend because it really doesn't come together for a few levels on the first playthrough. Takes time to get used to the juggle and you don't start with enough weapons, from what I remember. I was really apprehensive and disappointed at first, but sometime around level 3, maybe 4? Everything snapped into place and it became pure combat ballet. I ended up unable to put it down until I beat it at like 2:30am and I couldn't sleep afterwards I so pumped still.

2016 is just a very different game, I don't think it's inherently better or worse, but I've replayed neither since they both came out.

Yeah, eternal has a very high learning curve but once everything clicks it feels euphoric. It's like a character action game in that sense.

Puscifer

Yeah, eternal has a very high learning curve but once everything clicks it feels euphoric. It's like a character action game in that sense.

Yes exactly! Once everything clicks I'm being honest when I say there were some battles that had me going "wow what the fuck!?" At the dance of death you found yourself into being able to body entire rooms in seconds.

Yes exactly! Once everything clicks I'm being honest when I say there were some battles that had me going "wow what the fuck!?" At the dance of death you found yourself into being able to body entire rooms in seconds.
There really is no other game that’s given me the feeling doom eternal gives you when you’re firing on all cylinders it’s absolutely insane - especially as you progress you start to feel like a god. It’s not for everyone but most of the people who love doom eternal REALLY love it. Like consider it one of the best first person shooters ever - while the people who love 2016 think it’s just a good Doom game

Ulysses 31

You're prioritising lore and immersion over gameplay which would be making it less gamey.
Not every addition that shakes up the variety is a good one.
For it to remain Doom for me and not just some sci-fi demon FPS in Doom's clothing it can't tray too far from its roots and the monkey bars, floating platforms and fire rings among other things do that IMO.

The older Doom had none of that stuff and I don't recall people saying the levels needs things so you could swing around.
Launch pads to get around the base would be a bad idea realistically due to the laws of gravity and how fragile human bones are.
It's not a stretch to assume there's also inertia dampening tech in that world making the use of those launch pads more believable. The 2016 game pointed it out when you fall from high places at the beginning.

no its the other way around, plot included
2016 all the way
Only plot included. Eternal runs laps around 2016 gameplay wise. You also have more variety in environments, you have hell stages, tundra stages, grassy stages, futurism stages, etc with 2016 you just have mars stages and hell stages thats it.

Not every addition that shakes up the variety is a good one.
For it to remain Doom for me and not just some sci-fi demon FPS in Doom's clothing it can't tray too far from its roots and the monkey bars, floating platforms and fire rings among other things do that IMO.

The older Doom had none of that stuff and I don't recall people saying the levels needs things so you could swing around.

It's not a stretch to assume there's also inertia dampening tech in that world making the use of those launch pads more believable. The 2016 game pointed it out when you fall from high places at the beginning.
If anything it's 2016 that strayed from its roots by focusing on realism.

No you didn't have monkey bars and fire rings before but just because a game adds something remotely new doesn't mean it's automatically straying from it's roots.

Top Bottom