• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET = douchebags?

You be the judge.

http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-24541.html?tag=cnetfd.ld3

Nintendo Wii is highlighted at the top of their "most wanted gadgets" list, followed by PS3. However, I question the criteria of such analysis for the following reasons:

1) At one point in the list, the narrator claims that, of the top 5 hottest consoles, PSP is number 1 (DS is somewhere around number 4).

2) He also points out that Wii has "snuck into" the number one spot and is "quite a surprise", no doubt attributed to (get this) Mario and Zelda. Since when was Mario influencing a Wii purchase? Wii' success in the mainstream thus far is the result of a long chain of events stretching back to "Revolution" and E3 04; not Mario. The one game he's slated to appear won't come out until at least next year. They make it sound as though a new Mario game is responsible for Wii's success in the public sector -- nevermind the actual philosophy and control interface.

3) He then goes on to claim that Sony's high-end model of the PS3 will be $600 (showing a photo that looks like something from E3 05 -- the silver one model that, to the best of my knowledge, no longer exists.

Anyway. I'm tired of these press members getting things all out of whack and slanting public views on the game market. Anyone know what makes these people feel qualified to present such "facts"?

SumGamer

They are one quite bias media IMO. With DAP, they like to bash anything when they have to compare it to Apple's products. One time they west so low comparing newly released (at that time) iPod video to a iAudio flash memory player. The things aren't even in the same category :/

I think Nintendo might pay them for the Wii promotion. CNET is very greedy.

CNET reviews are incredibly bad, yet they seem to be the only site that pops up on search engines when looking for professional reviews of electronics.

dynamitejim said:
CNET reviews are incredibly bad, yet they seem to be the only site that pops up on search engines when looking for professional reviews of electronics.

Hence the purpose of this topic. The public opinion of the games market is skewed due to misinformation -- nothing new, but christ... if you're a journalist (and I'm talking MASS media, here), do your ****ing homework.

Mason

Yeah, I'm sure in the case of PS3 vs. Wii, someone is going to go, "I wonder what CNET says I should buy..... *Google search* .... oh my, Wii is number 1 and PS3 is way down at number 2.....oh goodness, the PS3 is silver, I definitely don't want it now."

I never listen to Cnet...they gave Dell Laptops a better rating then MacBook Pros, and I beg to differ. Dells + Windows = Hell
Mac= Heaven +Bootcamp (for games!)

threeball

Banned
PSP is #1 based on user traffic

And I don't like CNet that much either. Back in the day when there were decent competitors to Apple when it came to digital music(Rio Audio, Creative, iRiver, etc.) they would dock the non-iPod players on points because it wasn't an iPod, even though they were superior music players at lower prices with more features.

quadriplegicjon said:
so.. nintnedo paid them to promote the wii, and bag the ds?
THIRD PILLAR MY ASS.

Reggie_Fils-Aime2.jpg

Mason said:
Yeah, I'm sure in the case of PS3 vs. Wii, someone is going to go, "I wonder what CNET says I should buy..... *Google search* .... oh my, Wii is number 1 and PS3 is way down at number 2.....oh goodness, the PS3 is silver, I definitely don't want it now."

:lol

True. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

SumGamer

quadriplegicjon said:
so.. nintnedo paid them to promote the wii, and bag the ds?

That's why I said they paid CNET to promote Wii. It might not be the truth but I dont have a very good impression for CNET.

SumGamer said:
That's why I said they paid CNET to promote Wii. It might not be the truth but I dont have a very good impression for CNET.
Well, yes, but why not just pay CNET to put DS at #2 while they were at it?

SumGamer

AndoCalrissian said:
Well, yes, but why not just pay CNET to put DS at #2 while they were at it?

That's a mystery. Who knows why. Dont take my shit seriously, it just I dont like CNET for being bias in most of the DAP review I read. Wait... maybe they are asking too much :D

dynamitejim said:

It's for the same reason if you run a small fan site on a game, you have a really ****ing hard time getting up near the first page with IGN, Gamespot and Gamespy... all of which are described as THE place for the best information, even if they don't even have a blurb about the title in question.

It's a problem with Google in particular. It just comes down to link amounts (the fact that they have auto descriptions and titles set up is definitely secondary), when you really get down to it. It's very difficult for anything else to compete.

I never cared for the site myself. I've come upon it when searching for reviews on MP3 players, in particular, and some of the comments are baffling. Even more baffling are the things they don't actually ever get into.

Top Bottom