• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET Rumor: Hackers Planning Third Attack Against Sony, Publicizing Data

obonicus said:
Welcome to the world of post-blog journalism.

The world needs news all the time!
You ain't sophisticated enough if you don't get news all the time!
Now go read yourself some twitter.

SpacLock

Cornbread78 said:
This is just garbage. Crawl outta momma's basement, get a real job and stop fu(king with my happiness you miserable pieces of $hit.

/rant

You're allowed to say "fucking" and "shit." There's no fucking need to put dollar signs in your text when there's no fucking money involved.

Mudkips

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
but what if I'm talking about ke$ha
Prince_logo.svg

Bleh, I can't even remember the last game I bought & played for the PS3. Maybe KZ2? I dunno. Assuming some hacker isn't using my credit card to purchase ten metric tons of fruit by the foot, I'm really OK with what's going on here. Wait, I didn't even enter a credit card into my PS3 system, so what's the problem here?

Sony rushed to release a machine that they didn't fully understand the fully workings of or it's vulnerabilities. Developers couldn't figure it out and hackers were quick to exploit it.

The Wise Old Man said:
Bleh, I can't even remember the last game I bought & played for the PS3. Maybe KZ2? I dunno. Assuming some hacker isn't using my credit card to purchase ten metric tons of fruit by the foot, I'm really OK with what's going on here. Wait, I didn't even enter a credit card into my PS3 system, so what's the problem here?

Sony rushed to release a machine that they didn't fully understand the fully workings of or it's vulnerabilities. Developers couldn't figure it out and hackers were quick to exploit it.
your name is an interesting misnomer.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SpacLock said:
You're allowed to say "fucking" and "shit." There's no fucking need to put dollar signs in your text when there's no fucking money involved.

Why is your old avatar gone? :(

Bring it back or I will shit this fuck up.

Fuckshit.

Angry Fork said:
Why can't these guys do this to companies that are really fucking people over like credit card companies, wall street, or health care ones. I understand they want to provide the anti-Sony lulz on the internet or whatever bullshit but they've got to be smart enough to know that at a certain point you're just wasting your time. You cannot hate a company like Sony THAT much to go to those lengths to bring them down. It's like Sony burned their houses down or something.

Obviously they are not wasting their time. They are actually changing shit, aren't they? I will bet my ass, that they being protected by the best backtracing police the CIA has to offer.

Sony, a company you can't touch, a company you can't sue, because the way the "justice system" works, it will just counter sue you hundred times over, and drag whatever problem you have with them out into oblivion. No normal man, have the funds to pull a case through like that if he is unhappy. He can be a unhappy unimportant little tool, and then write a angry letter.

On the other side of the scope, you have Sony, who basically ruined a mans life for doing something with a product he purchased. And he couldn't do shit. Pointless interweb vigilantism maybe, but never the less, this is the story of people saying fuck you.

But that's the fascinating thing about cyber "criminals" and "hackers". It doesn't seem to be governments who are the most powerful on the interwebz.

I'm not condoling it. I have a PSN account too, with CC info and such. But I doubt buy into the identity theft. I don't think that's their motive, and if I am wrong, and my Bank account will be empty soon, then I guess the joke is on me.

Cornbread78 said:
This is just garbage. Crawl outta momma's basement, get a real job and stop fu(king with my happiness you miserable pieces of $hit.

/rant

You should be thanking them. It's quite apparent that Sony's network security is laughably poor and this situation has put them and their poor decisions squarely in the spotlight with a broken microphone.

Averon

WickedAngel said:
You should be thanking them. It's quite apparent that Sony's network security is laughably poor and this situation has put them and their poor decisions squarely in the spotlight with a broken microphone.

Yes. We should be thankful that these hackers are stealing CC numbers. They are only after our best interests, after all.

Also, there's no proof Sony had poor security. CC info was encrypted. Passwords hashed.

WickedAngel said:

I'm surprised that they persuaded paypal to give the identity of anyone who gave money to Hotz on his paypal. So if you are sympathetic to him, and don't think he should be jailed for hacking his own PS3 - unreleated to PSN stuff, you are by default a suspect, and your IP is now handed and directed at the FBI. Glorious!

It's probably just that behavior that pissed off these hackers even more. "okay, they are really not getting it". But that's how it is with these multi million dollar corporations. they dont ask their consumers to remove features like otherOS or Linux support - They just do it. even if they are doing something that is basically illegal, no small man can touch them. They are sony for fuck sake. they can do what they want.

There is nothing conspiracy theoriest about it. It's just that capitalism always wins. That's all there is to it.

ElRenoRaven

WickedAngel said:

I won't say what I'm really thinking about what you just said because I like posting here.

PsychoRaven said:
I won't say what I'm really thinking about what you just said because I like posting here.

My feelings are well and truly hurt, trust me.

Feel free to defend Sony's network security and get laughed off the board, though.

Averon

WickedAngel said:

Feel free to defend Sony's network security and get laughed off the board, though.

There's no defense for these hackers stealing CC information. Seriously, someone on GAF will defend anything.

ElRenoRaven

WickedAngel said:

You know what screw it. Newsflash I don't defend Sony one bit on this. They should have never allowed it to happen. They fucked up. Everyone agrees on that. However you are fucking nuts if you think we should be thanking thieving scumbags for stealing our fucking info.

Averon said:
There's no defense for these hackers stealing CC information. Seriously, someone on GAF will defend anything.

PsychoRaven said:
You know what screw it. Newsflash I don't defend Sony one bit on this. They should have never allowed it to happen. They fucked up. Everyone agrees on that. However you are fucking nuts if you think we should be thanking thieving scumbags for stealing our fucking info.

I didn't defend it, nor did I or do I condone it. That said, the actions of these hackers have forced Sony to make fundamental changes to the way that they think about network security and that is a good thing because it's obvious that nothing else would.

Sony has more than enough power and resources to properly secure their network infrastructure and the fact that they hadn't up until this point tells us two things; it tells us that they're negligent and it tells us that we should not be doing business with them.

If losing data is what it takes to properly invest in network security, they don't deserve to be in business.

Canova

Banned
Averon said:

Some people will defend these fuckers, even cheering them on out of their hate for Sony, that's the reality. what a bunch sad losers

Canova said:
Some people will defend these fuckers, even cheering them on out of their hate for Sony, that's the reality. what a bunch sad losers

Yes, my opinions are totally that of a "Sony hater" instead of a network admin/security analyst. I'll chuckle about that later as a lasso chumps in RDR.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
pantyhelmet said:
Bravo..You have literally made me "shake my head"..that bolded part..what does that even MEAN?
They cracked open a backdoor to hide a trojan horse behind their firewall, of course.

WickedAngel said:
Yes, my opinions are totally that of a "Sony hater" instead of a network admin/security analyst. I'll chuckle about that later as a lasso chumps in RDR.
I'm glad that you don't really care at all about the rest of this forum and their desires to actually play most of the games they've bought recently.

Though... I'm not even surprised at your stance.

WickedAngel said:
I didn't defend it, nor did I or do I condone it. That said, the actions of these hackers have forced Sony to make fundamental way that they think about network security and that is a good thing because it's obvious that nothing else would.

Sony has more than enough power and resources to properly secure their network infrastructure and the fact that they hadn't up until this point tells us two things; it tells us that they're negligent and it tells us that we should not be doing business with them.

If losing data is what it takes to properly invest in network security, you don't deserve to be in business.

you have an overblown perception of how safe anything in this world truly is.

WickedAngel said:

I have seen no "chumping lasso's" in my playthrough of RDR. I call BS.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Conspiracy theorists unite!!!

So what if...

- Government sees Sony "other OS" and "Anonymous attack" as opportunity.
- Government hacks Sony, making sure to direct blame elsewhere
- Very quickly Government jumps on board with FBI and official investigations
- Sony gets close to putting PSN back online so Government plants "new attack threat"
- People start to "care less" about Sony and assume they are safe elsewhere
- Government hacks password storage website to scare everyone back in line
- Government plants and/or fabricates evidence and arrests hacker(s)
- Government says terrorists planning cyber attacks to gain public support for...
- Government uses this major incident as incentive to implement new Internet legislature
- All the bad things they ever wanted to do become reality.
- Government wins public loses
- People start to go outside and buy more gas

Think about it...

obonicus

What if Sony actually wanted the money from our wallets? Think about it, I had like 40 bucks there. Everyone's saying they're losing money, but they're actually earning interest! Of course PSN isn't back yet, that way they'd kill their sweet cash cow.

Mr Pockets said:
Conspiracy theorists unite!!!

So what if...

- Government sees Sony "other OS" and "Anonymous attack" as opportunity.
- Government hacks Sony, making sure to direct blame elsewhere
- Very quickly Government jumps on board with FBI and official investigations
- Sony gets close to putting PSN back online so Government plants "new attack threat"
- People start to "care less" about Sony and assume they are safe elsewhere
- Government hacks password storage website to scare everyone back in line
- Government plants and/or fabricates evidence and arrests hacker(s)
- Government says terrorists planning cyber attacks to gain public support for...
- Government uses this major incident as incentive to implement new Internet legislature
- All the bad things they ever wanted to do become reality.
- Government wins public loses
- People start to go outside and buy more gas

Think about it...

I still like the "Anonymous is just begging for internet censorship" theory better.

KJTB

I can't wait for these fuckers to get caught and thrown into a federal prison. I hope they enjoy being violated against their will, repeatedly.

It is kind of shocking to see a billion dollar company like Sony get trashed like this though.

WickedAngel said:
You should be thanking them.

You should be worshipping me instead.

While we're on the topic of "things you should be doing".

WickedAngel said:
It's quite apparent that Sony's network security is laughably poor and this situation has put them and their poor decisions squarely in the spotlight with a broken microphone.

Great. Sony sucks.

The hackers are still vile criminal scum. Both these thoughts can coexist, believe it or not!

Dipindots said:
I can't wait for these fuckers to get caught and thrown into a federal prison. I hope they enjoy being violated against their will, repeatedly.

It is kind of shocking to see a billion dollar company like Sony get trashed like this though.

now is that free or a yearly charge?

This thread is, in places, another one of those scary views into a mindset that rape in prison is sound and is an acceptable, encouragable consequence of crime. Six or seven people are calling for it now, and its just as ridiculous now as it was in all the Geohot threads.

Its even more disturbing that the people calling for the hackers (and Geohot in the other thread) to be sexually abused are doing so because of incidents targeted against a video-game making corporation. I guess I'll never understand this.

Canova said:

I keep reading this, but I'm yet to see anyone actively defend the criminal act of stealing personal and financial information for fraud and vandalism.

People keep saying there are defenders of this, but I'm not seeing them. What I'm seeing is widespread condemnation, and rightly so.

Psi

Mama Robotnik said:
This thread is, in places, another one of those scary views into a mindset that rape in prison is sound and is an acceptable, encouragable consequence of crime. Six or seven people are calling for it now, and its just as ridiculous now as it was in all the Geohot threads.

Its even more disturbing that the people calling for the hackers (and Geohot in the other thread) to be sexually abused are doing so because of incidents targeted against a video-game making corporation. I guess I'll never understand this.

Yeah there are some real shining beacons of humanity here. I guess they should be congratulated on being worse than the people they hate.

KJTB

I just say stupid things when I'm angry :/

Mama Robotnik said:

However, it's not just an incident targeted against a video-game making corporation. They have MY personal information to be used at will. They possibly have MY credit card information.

Psi said:
Yeah there are some real shining beacons of humanity here. I guess they should be congratulated on being worse than the people they hate.

Oh, please. Go take your moral high ground smugness elsewhere.

Canova said:

And some of you will defend Sony on anything, including acting like they are the worst victim in all of this and deserve sympathy. Losers of a different color.

Guess what, you are both wrong. Sony sucks in this, the hackers suck worse and the real victims are all the gamers.

I'd love to see that someone without a history of being a staunch Sony supporter came out defending them in this, would actually make for some real discussion.

Likewise I'd also love to see some Sony haters come out and be pissed at hackers.

But, what has happened is that the usual Sony suspects tell us that Sony has acted perfectly both before and after the attack and the haters want us all to think that Sony watched the attacks happen in real time(Hackers style) and laughed while thiefs made off with our info.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
bigtroyjon said:
And some of you will defend Sony on anything, including acting like they are the worst victim in all of this and deserve sympathy. Losers of a different color.

Guess what, you are both wrong. Sony sucks in this, the hackers suck worse and the real victims are all the gamers.

I'd love to see that someone without a history of being a staunch Sony supporter came out defending them in this, would actually make for some real discussion.

Likewise I'd also love to see some Sony haters come out and be pissed at hackers.

But, what has happened is that the usual Sony suspects tell us that Sony has acted perfectly both before and after the attack and the haters want us all to think that Sony watched the attacks happen in real time(Hackers style) and laughed while thiefs made off with our info.
I am a Sony supporter, but I in no way feel they are perfect in the way they handled this. I do however feel they have done what the majority of big companies would have done. Nothing will ever please everyone....best you can hope for is "good enough"

bigtroyjon said:

I have no love towards Sony (that being said I've owned all their systems except for PSP). I think they've fucked up royally and have been made absolute fools of by the hackers. Part of me even wishes they stick to portables from now on. One less system for me to buy. I will, however, applaud them if they offer us some free games that are actually...you know...good.

But fuck the hackers. They are going to post people's personal information online to...stick it to Sony? Absolute losers and I hope they end up serving years of hard time. As another poster said before me: Of all the evils in the world, and these highly sophisticated hackers choose fucking SONY. Get lives, you pathetic losers!

I've got Mortal Kombat lying on my tv stand still in its wrap. If they do not have PSN up by the time my exams are finished next week, I'll return it and buy the Xbox version. Sorry Kratos.

Top Bottom