• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: China puts bombers on high alert for potential situation in North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/us-north-korea-china/index.html

Chinese air force land-attack, cruise-missile-capable bombers were put "on high alert" on Wednesday as the US sees evidence that the Chinese military is preparing to respond to a potential situation in North Korea, a US defense official tells CNN.

The official said the US has also seen an extraordinary number of Chinese military aircraft being brought up to full readiness through intensified maintenance.

These recent steps by the Chinese are assessed as part of an effort to "reduce the time to react to a North Korea contingency," the official said.
Such a contingency could include the risk of an armed conflict breaking out as tensions on the peninsula have increased in the wake of multiple North Korean missile tests. The US and Pyongyang have ratcheted up their rhetoric, with the latter's state media warning Thursday that a pre-emptive strike by North Korea would result in the US and South Korea being "completely destroyed in an instant."
Several senior administration officials told CNN Thursday that China is now the focus of the Trump administration's North Korea strategy.

"Nobody thinks the Chinese are going to press North Korea militarily or bring the regime to its knees, but the strategy looks to China to find a political solution more than anything else," one senior administration official said.

The officials said Trump's approach is based on a careful review of past US efforts to deal with North Korea, noting that during the analysis of failed negotiating efforts with the long-reigning Kim family, one thing became abundantly clear: "China has never exerted maximum leverage on the Kim regime."

Nuke me if old.

entremet

NK acts like a pitbull for China, buffering the influence of SK and Japan. But maybe they've decided to bite their owner too many times and China has had enough?

Zubz

Banned
What kind of situation would the Chinese of all people feel the need to respond to?

Maybe they're afraid they'll be blamed if North Korea tries to do something? Not that Trump should have sway over anyone, but I'm sure there aren't going to be many other nations happy about that.

Wait until after The Last Jedi, goddamit. After that, nuke us all at will.
Yes this. But also wait until after Episode IX. I need to see the end of this trilogy.

In all seriousness, Korea is helping with a start of a another war. And they don't care. Which is terrifying.

Beartruck

NK acts like a pitbull for China, buffering the influence of SK and Japan. But maybe they've decided to bite their owner too many times and China has had enough?

Honestly, I think they've outlived their usefulness a bit. North Korea being a land buffer might've been nice in the cold war, but is such a thing really that valuable in the modern age with a modern China?

entremet

Honestly, I think they've outlived their usefulness a bit. North Korea being a land buffer might've been nice in the cold war, but is such a thing really that valuable in the modern age with a modern China?

I would agree and China has embraced capitalism basically anyway. Thus lending credibility that China may have had enough of the little bros temper tantrums, which would destabilize their economic interest.

Calm Mind

kanye-nope.gif

Having any buffer from a SK who is militarily aligned with the US is still a preference for Beijing. Besides the flood of refugees and the threat of a protracted hot-war on their border, they really don't want US radar and missle batteries any closer than they are now.

The official said the US has also seen an extraordinary number of Chinese military aircraft being brought up to full readiness through intensified maintenance.

Holy Shit, Maintenance to the xtremeee

Exclusive CNN photo of China getting ready
CHMjWQ1.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It makes sense that China should deal with it, seeing as Korea used to be their territory.

smurfx

get some go again
now i'm wondering if all of trump's talk of action against north korea is the result of being told by china that they plan to take out the current regime.

I'm pretty sure it's against North Korea?, I mean it would have to be after the "tremendous progress" talk that Trump had with Xi Jingping right?
It doesn't really say and no one ever specifically says in these threads. It's always randomness to me or I'm just really stupid and everyone knows exactly where happening without saying

I never know and never say much, I never watch news so maybe it's just known where I don't know.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
US news agency continues to be unreliable.

Hey, you would think that after the false report of 150 thousand soldiers at the north korean border, and completely getting the location of US carrier group wrong thatvpeople will learn, but i guess not.

China is afraid of the influence of the west if North Korea regime is toppled and the Koreas are unified. They are also afraid of the influx of refugees if a war breaks out. Regardless of what happens to north Korea, China will feel it as much as south Korea, but I guess they also realized that the current north Korean leader is just fucking insane and might be more lean to negotiate a deal to stop the tension.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait until after The Last Jedi, goddamit. After that, nuke us all at will.

China isn't going to nuke America.

Can you guys get your heads on straight for once? China isn't an irrational state that doesn't understand the concept of mutually assured destruction.

Jarrod38

Here is what will happen NK will test the nuke, and all the other world leaders will denounce it while we all go in with our lives.

China is afraid of the influence of the west of North Korea regime is toppled and the Koreas are unified. They are also afraid of the influx of refugees if a war breaks out. Regardless of what happens to north Korea, China will feel it as much as south Korea, but I guess they are realized that the current north Korean leader is just fucking insane and might be more lean to negotiate a deal to stop the tension.
If china helps them as they are shooting nukes they will look quite bad and while they are there for nk on non actual happening ways, I feel they wouldbt help them. What is china going to do, start shooting nukes at Japan, America and other countries? It's a ridiculous situation and I can't believe china wants to kill anyone quite honestly, I don't feel this is in thier nature.

It's definitely more of a western nature these days to be aggressive. North Korea is just very isolated

I do not believe china would bomb anyone and hopefully they declare that north Korea is in the wrong and that they will help thier people but not take military action against anyone in any event.

If china is at war with anyone it effects the world market completly. Atleast in consumer goods. Which honestly, isn't the worse thing on the goods. It's mostly things we may not need, hopefully not medical.

I can do without games and movies as long as we aren't getting bombed.

They have been returning DPRK coal shipments lately. News pointing to them turning their backs on North Korea.

Trump boast today he likes the Chinese president and he knows China is going to work really hard to put an end to the North Korea mess.
Also lots of Trademarks rewarded to the Trump family latest being Ivanka trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom