• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: FBI refused White House request to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
raw

Kyzer

Banned
Are you kidding me?

His agenda was clear before the election. Having gone on record saying he doesn't like to comment on ongoing investigations, but then the moment some unseen emails that could possibly lead to something (re: nothing) surfaced, he couldn't wait to tell-all just two weeks before votes were cast.

Yeah good guy that Comey is.

Considering its impossible to have evidence that Comey actually intended to affect the election in Trumps favor with his letter to congress, its not fair to say its clear or obvious or anything of the sort. The same reason I was sticking to my guns when he decided Hillary shouldnt face charges, im doing so now, I believe they try to be apolitical and act on evidence. You might just be jumping to a conclusion because it fits your speculation. Its not unreasonable to think he wasnt trying to help Trump. He went out of his way to the chagrin of Republicans to explain that Hillary should not face charges. He went before congress and they had a hearing for hours ffs. He defended her

wildfire

Banned
Not surprised Washington would ask since Comey backed them during the election.

It sounds like the FBI is in the midst of a civil war.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This fucking administration sure does violate a lot of things and nothing happens to them.

rjinaz

Considering its impossible to have evidence that Comey actually intended to affect the election in Trumps favor with his letter to congress, its not fair to say its clear or obvious or anything of the sort. The same reason I was sticking to my guns when he decided Hillary shouldnt face charges, im doing so now, I believe they try to be apolitical and act on evidence. You might just be jumping to a conclusion because it fits your speculation. Its not unreasonable to think he wasnt trying to help Trump. He went out of his way to the chagrin of Republicans to explain that Hillary should not face charges. He went before congress and they had a hearing for hours ffs. He defended her

Maybe because there wasn't any illegal evidence on her? His defending of Hillary just means he was doing his job. It does not show any kind of favoritism or cancel out the idea that he released that 3 email crap right before the election without a motive.

chadskin

Also funny:
Priebus later reached out again to McCabe and to FBI Director James Comey asking for the FBI to at least talk to reporters on background to dispute the stories.

Reince -- the media shouldn't do stories based on unnamed sources -- Priebus wants the media to shoot down the Trump-Russia stories based on unnamed sources.

cackhyena

Also funny:

Reince -- the media shouldn't do stories based on unnamed sources -- Priebus wants the media to shoot down the Trump-Russia stories based on unnamed sources.
Let's see that fucking worm try and squirm his way out of this one on Meet The Press.

Ketch

maybe just maybe Comey doesn't give a shit about who what politician anything and is just doing the best he can as FBI director?

Chumley

Banned
Also funny:

They are barely trying to hide that their entire crusade against the media is just about them being angry they can't control the narrative.

Magwik

Banned
I have a hard time believing that Pence would be the back up. At what point is every choice and every person associated with Trump compromised? If Russia directly influenced the election or had influence over a candidate, shouldn't that mean scorched earth? Shouldnt every executive order issued be called into question?

Jarate

Banned
I have a hard time believing that Pence would be the back up. At what point is every choice and every person associated with Trump compromised? If Russia directly influenced the election or had influence over a candidate, shouldn't that mean scorched earth? Shouldnt every executive order issued be called into question?

Im pretty sure if Trump was aided by the Russians, then every single one of "his people" will be gone. Paul Ryan would most likely be president, and I wouldnt be surprised if Congress made a emergency election for a new president.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Im pretty sure if Trump was aided by the Russians, then every single one of "his people" will be gone. Paul Ryan would most likely be president, and I wouldnt be surprised if Congress made a emergency election for a new president.

Ryan becomes president no special elections.

Syncytia

There's no emergency election. It's Paul Ryan. He's third in succession and the only one (I think?) that isn't tied to the campaign.

edit: I guess second technically. Third man down the list if you include Trump.

maybe just maybe Comey doesn't give a shit about who what politician anything and is just doing the best he can as FBI director?

Weird then that he'd release a statement about emails with zero substance behind it, while never commenting about the investigations into the Republican campaign's Russian contacts that were happening simultaneously.

Perhaps this is some game to try to become the most hated FBI director by both parties, each convinced that he does just enough good for their cause to prevent him from being fired.

Nafai1123

Banned

Honestly, I think this is the most accurate assumption of the situation. What Comey did emailing the house about Hillary's emails days away from the election is unforgiveable, but given the reporting surrounding that situation, in many ways it sounds like he was hamstrung. NYC Trumpland FBI office was leaking shit to hurt Hillary and he had agreed to inform the House committee of any changes in the case. If he hadn't announced chances are it would've leaked and the GOP would've skewered him instead of the Dems.

What is really unforgiveable though is the fact that the FBI knew about Trump/Russia ties at the time and were investigating, but he refused to achnowledge or confirm the investigation. Yes, that was standard practice, but he broke those rules when he held the press conference regarding Hillary's investigation. I understand that he was between a rock and a hard place, but it was his own doing and ultimately he fucked up.

That said, now that Hillary is out of the equation and we've got Trump in the WH, I do believe that Comey does fundamentally want to do his job to the best of his abilities without partisanship getting in the way. I am glad Trump has not replaced him as of yet, and I do believe that with him at the helm the FBI do have free reign to see where these investigations take them.

Neoweee

What is Comey's angle, really?

Several possibilities:

1) He really fucking hates the Clintons over the Marc Rich stuff, but that doesn't really matter anymore.

2) Generally pretty well-intentioned, but the October letter was really Chaffetz' fault for leaking it. Comey thought it wouldn't matter, but it did.

Jenov

Comey did a lot of unprecedented things that no other director has done. That big press conference to announce the no charges against Clinton was a complete fiasco. FBI do not normally do press conferences like that, it was very unusual. What's worse, he added a lot of his own opinions during it, which created even more fodder for the GOP. Remember 'EXTREMELY CARELESS' HILLARY! That was fun.

Comey then had to defend his stance in congress because he couldn't force a charge on Clinton. They clearly found no illegal intent whatsoever. But his little editorial comments from the press conference were so fucking damaging that he had to be hauled in to explain himself further to congress, lol. But he said so himself, it would have been a farce to try and charge Clinton, especially in comparison to much more egregious examples.

Then the unprecedented letter to congress just 2 weeks before the election was the cherry on top of the shit ice cream Comey had been making. How does the FBI make 2 huge public stunts like that months and weeks before the general? Something isn't right. If not outright partisan, then he was completely inept in every way.

hawk2025

Tip:

When in doubt and wanting to do "the best you can" -- FOLLOW PROTOCOL.

Protocol exists for a reason. It's not for the easy cases. It's precisely for the tough ones.

Comey did a lot of unprecedented things that no other director has done. That big press conference to announce the no charges against Clinton was a complete fiasco. FBI do not normally do press conferences like that, it was very unusual. What's worse, he added a lot of his own opinions during it, which created even more fodder for the GOP. Remember 'EXTREMELY CARELESS' HILLARY! That was fun.

Comey then had to defend his stance in congress because he couldn't force a charge on Clinton. They clearly found no illegal intent whatsoever. But his little editorial comments from the press conference were so fucking damaging though that he had to be hauled in to explain himself further to congress, lol. But he said so himself, it would have been a farce to try and charge Clinton, especially in comparison to much more egregious examples.

Then the unprecedented letter to congress just 2 weeks before the election was the cherry on top of the shit ice cream Comey had been making. How does the FBI make 2 huge public stunts like that months and weeks before the general? Something isn't right. If not outright partisan, then he was completely inept in every way.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Its why I don't believe any of these "Trump/Bannon/GoP are brilliant schemers" theories for a second.

Zophar

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Its why I don't believe any of these "Trump/Bannon/GoP are brilliant schemers" theories for a second.

It's a little bit of both. Trump et al are both stupid and malicious.

Glix

If you buy the part in that link going around that the ny office was going to leak it either way, what you say would all make sense.

Im not sure how i feel about it but i wanted to point that out.

And even if parts of that theory are proved false it wouldnt mean that the part about Comey couldnt still hold water

AlphaDump

Gold Member

Comey then had to defend his stance in congress because he couldn't force a charge on Clinton. They clearly found no illegal intent whatsoever. But his little editorial comments from the press conference were so fucking damaging though that he had to be hauled in to explain himself further to congress, lol. But he said so himself, it would have been a farce to try and charge Clinton, especially in comparison to much more egregious examples.

Spot on.

My guess is other players have stepped in outside of DOJ that are applying some serious pressure, and/or this would have been FAR too obvious of total corruption at the FBI.

There are no provisions for emergency presidential elections in the Constitution. It would take an amendment.

Comey then had to defend his stance in congress because he couldn't force a charge on Clinton. They clearly found no illegal intent whatsoever. But his little editorial comments from the press conference were so fucking damaging that he had to be hauled in to explain himself further to congress, lol. But he said so himself, it would have been a farce to try and charge Clinton, especially in comparison to much more egregious examples.

The narrative that makes the most sense to me is a politically divided FBI. There are rumors that the NY Branch of the FBI wanted Clinton's head and was going to leak the Wiener email stuff for maximum damage. So Comey's hand is forced and he has to go public with it first.

Right now, I am operating under the assumption that Comedy is a hard core lifer lawman (with all of the pros and cons that come with that) who is a shitty politician who constantly found himself out maneuvered by Chafetz and members of his own Bureau.

The narrative that makes the most sense to me is a politically divided FBI. There are rumors that the NY Branch of the FBI wanted Clinton's head and was going to leak the Wiener email stuff for maximum damage. So Comey's hand is forced and he has to go public with it first.

Right now, I am operating under the assumption that Comedy is a hard core lifer lawman (with all of the pros and cons that come with that) who is a shitty politician who constantly found himself out maneuvered by Chafetz and members of his own Bureau.

I think this is right. The NY FBI office was out for blood and Comey thought he had no choice. Which was wrong, but.

Yeah, I also think that Comey's hand was forced into sending the October letter. His actions during the Bush administration indicated that he wasn't a GOP stooge, and I see no reason that he would have changed in the intervening decade. Whatever his motives end up being, though, I am definitely looking forward to finding out (50 years from now when everything is declassified).

I'm all for opposing the Trump administration but where the fuck was the FBI during the election? Oh yeah going after Clinton; fucking hypocrites.

Arttemis

And boehner just stated GOP "will not repeal and replace 'Obamacare,' and just address the issues and put a conservative box around it."

Major distraction for major news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom