• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: FBI refused White House request to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Air

Banned
Feels like this man has way too much power to swing his weight around and influence. Not that I'm angry they're still investigating the Russian ties, but we shouldn't have even gotten here in the first place.

Mathieran

Banned
Remember when conservatives were whining that Hillary would be the first president under investigation before taking office? Man they are masters of projection. Funny how it doesn't matter since its trump though.

This is illegal per rules that were put back in place during George W Bush admin. Sessions could reverse these rules, but as of now he hasn't done that publicly. Easy out for Trump to fire Priebus if this gains traction tomorrow.

UberTag

Peoples feelings about the FBI and Comey are usually based on whether or not what he has done hurts or helps their candidate politically. Truthfully hes probably a good guy trying to do his job in a batshit crazy poltical climate
Initial vibe was that he was compromised but it seems far more likely that the NYC office of the FBI was compromised and Comey was put into a no-win situation in the weeks prior to the election to screw Hillary over.

Either that or he's a mole for establishment Republicans who wanted to appropriate power through Trump with the intention of screwing him over.

I'm inclined to think it's the first scenario myself.

So according to Priebus, FBI deputy director McCabe and he had a talk, and McCabe told him the NYT/CNN stories about Russia are overblown. Then WH reaches out to FBI to ask them to publicly say when McCabe told Priebus. FBI says no, and this is what's being reported. Something tells me Priebus lied about the whole thing.
To be fair, the only thing McCabe supposedly denied on the story was how much info the FBI had on the contacts. Not that the entire story was bogus. Also McCabe denies discussing the investigation with Priebus but does say a conversation occurred between the two of them. This isn't even getting into the gritty details of reports of the IC keeping info from Trump. There is also the possibility that they aren't trying to alarm Trump and Co. to how much info they have, in case of Trump taking more drastic measures.

Initial vibe was that he was compromised but it seems far more likely that the NYC office of the FBI was compromised and Comey was put into a no-win situation in the weeks prior to the election to screw Hillary over.

Either that or he's a mole for establishment Republicans who wanted to appropriate power through Trump with the intention of screwing him over.

I'm inclined to think it's the first scenario myself.

I can't fully subscribe to Kyzer's views on Comey. Comey launched an investigation into Clinton in August 2015 during the primary season. After the Inspectors General and IC handed the case over to the FBI stating clearly that they didn't feel anyone committed a crime but they are worried about a potential security breach. The whole investigation was odd for it being during an election season. The fact that it got so politicized was due to how Comey handled the situation especially with the media. Instead of calming people down, he helped fuel the flames against Clinton. He met with Clinton and agreed to do a press conference to end the investigation since this investigation had become so politicized and was drastically effecting the election. However, he felt the need to interject a lot of his own personal feelings into the matter giving conservatives their soundbites to run with. This part is all directly on him as this whole email investigation was needlessly blown out of proportion.

The matter that happened, two weeks before the election is a different matter. The New York FBI office seemed to be compromised and coordinated a political attack against Clinton. Giuliani was hinting at the reopening of the Clinton email scandal days before Comey publicly addressed Congress on the matter. This move is likely the reason that Clinton lost the election. However, Comey did approve a public reopening of the case based on evidence from the Bannon propaganda machine. It still amazes me that the FBI used Bannon's propaganda as evidence to relaunch a new public investigation. They were truly grasping for straws. Meanwhile they never said a word about Trump's ties to Russia which is a lot more concerning to national security than what Clinton was accused of doing.

Apdiddy

The irony is delicious.

First, he publicly said that he wanted Russia to find Hillary Clinton's emails (I don't care if he was 'kidding,' the man doesn't know how to joke) and now leaks and information being investigated is not OK?

I want to believe that this will crash on Trump, but it won't. He discredits and delegitimize his own intelligence community, then the Justice Department, then the news media, then DHS and now the FBI.

It honestly will take a military coup to get him removed at this point. Impeachment is almost off the table given our current Congress.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
How is the Trump administration still in power?
Because they're "in power" and won't harm themselves. Yea I am including all sitting republican politicians into their administration.

If they are going to sit idly by as this happens and not take the administration to task, they are apart of the problem.

FreezeSSC

Remember when Trump accused Bill Clinton and Loretta Lynch of trying to work a backroom deal on the Clinton investigation when they met at the airport? SMFH

gcubed

I read these things, think everyone is overreacting, then Trump tweets as a tacit confirmation of his guilt and I'm lost

Maxim726X

I'm positive the best way to ensure that no one leaks information from the IC is to continuously, publicly, bash the IC.

It's truly a brilliant strategy. From a man with the best brain, with the best words.

If this long con involved getting Trump elected he deserves no respect whatsoever.

I dunno about that, the Republican party will be shaken to it's core, having elected a Russian puppet purely because he said the right things.

This could totally flip the current position of Republicans and make it impossible to ignore their total lack of moral decency.

Garlador

Exactly, He may help in trumps impeachment but he got him elected in the first place.

So, he's basically the Starscream in this scenario?
6a16c432b957ecd7451b022dc7291268.gif

gazele

Banned
I mean, don't trump's tweets basically confirm that they did try to knock down the story?

If he thinks it's true its leakers

If he thinks it's false its FAKE NEWS

Maxim726X

I dunno about that, the Republican party will be shaken to it's core, having elected a Russian puppet purely because he said the right things.

This could totally flip the current position of Republicans and make it impossible to ignore their total lack of moral decency.

I'm actually coming around to this line of thinking.

If Trump gets embarrassed along with the party that tacitly endorsed him, they'll be maimed as well. It could actually be the one of the best things to ever happen to the Democratic party.

Of course, if he doesn't get impeached this will all end up being background noise.

If Trump gets embarrassed along with the party that tacitly endorsed him, they'll be maimed as well. It could actually be the one of the best things to ever happen to the Democratic party.

Not necessarily. The Republicans endorsed Goldwater and they still ended up doing fine after he lost. Any gains the Democrats make will be temporary, and none of them could possibly outweigh all of the downsides to Trump's victory.

Not necessarily. The Republicans endorsed Goldwater and they still ended up doing fine after he lost. Any gains the Democrats make will be temporary, and none of them could possibly outweigh all of the downsides to Trump's victory.

Barry Goldwater was not a traitor to his nation, running with the goal of actively working against his country's best interests.

And let's remember, just for the record, that there's no way Comey could have known with any degree of certainty that Trump would actually win. Predicting the whims of voters isn't the FBI's job, and it was likely as much of a surprise to them as it was everyone else.

To not throw all of this work away the moment the election was decided and shout "What are you doing?! We think this guy is a traitor!" is an immense show of constraint, provided these accusations have merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom