• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Giuliani told he will not be Sec. of State by Trump team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

Also, note that a Guiliani confirmation hearing would turn into a proxy battle over the Comey Letter and FBI Leaks during the campaign. That's a complete shitshow that the Trump camp does not want to wage or dredge up. There's pretty much no doubt that Guiliani knew about the Comey letter before it was released, and the Trump campaign was able to strategize around it. They don't want to confess to that, though.

biDFHU0.gif

Vince-McMahon-Walks-Backwards-Away-From-The-Scene-On-WWE.gif

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It's official now, he won't be part of the administration in any capacity. They're claiming he dropped out voluntarily weeks ago lol.

Giuliani pulls name from contention for secretary of state

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani pulled out of the secretary of state sweepstakes late last month, President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team said late Friday, as Trump has widened his search to select the nation’s top diplomat in the last week.

"Rudy Giuliani is an extraordinarily talented and patriotic American. I will always be appreciative of his 24/7 dedication to our campaign after I won the primaries and for his extremely wise counsel,” Trump said in a written statement. “He is and continues to be a close personal friend, and as appropriate, I will call upon him for advice and can see an important place for him in the administration at a later date.”

Giuliani had previously publicly campaigned for the post and it was not immediately clear why he had withdrawn. The transition team said that he withdrew on November 29.

Trump has considered a host of possibilities for secretary of state, widely seen as the most prominent cabinet position. Giuliani’s chief rival at times was seen as former presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who is still under consideration. Others who have interviewed include Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson, retired Adm. James Stavridis, Sen. Bob Corker and former Ford CEO Alan Mulally.

Giuliani did not just pull himself out of the running for secretary of the state but any position in the administration, the transition team said.

So he "withdrew" on the 29th and on the 30th the Trump team announced him as one of the finalist for the position. Makes sense.

Romney and Giuliani make the final 4 cut for Trump’s secretary of state finalists

President-elect Donald Trump’s drama-ridden selection process for secretary of state has narrowed to four finalists, including 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, Trump aides said Wednesday.

It was the first time that Trump’s transition team has publicly confirmed that Romney and Giuliani are competing for the highest ranking Cabinet position.
Opponents of Romney have waged a remarkably public fight against him, saying the former Massachusetts governor should not get the nod because he attacked Trump in harsh personal terms during the presidential campaign and that Giuliani should be rewarded for his loyalty during the campaign.

Sorry, Rudy, you can't have a cabinet position. You're a filthy poor. Come back after you've pocketed a few billion more and maybe there will be an opening.

Neoweee

We can thank Rand Paul for this. He found the other two NO votes willing to block Guiliani's confirmation.

Paul, McCain, Graham, Sasse, and Flake might have almost complete say over the Trump cabinet.

Finalizer

The Romney pick would be great not only because we'd have a decent human being with experience as at least one of Trump's picks, but also I'd get to enjoy sweet schadenfreude from all the Trumpeteers raging over bringing back the swamp. (Because all the bankers already picked aren't already just that...)

Sadly, part of me strongly suspects he's just playing up the Romney pick only to go with someone else just to throw sand in Romney's face. He's certainly petty enough to do so. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

PopeReal

We aren't getting Romney. We will get another rich corporate fuckwit. They all are just looking to pad their pockets.

Fuck this.

The Kree

Banned
I remember when people were upset at Obama for choosing a bunch of career politicians for his cabinet when he was first elected.

Trump is choosing a bunch of career assholes.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I like Mitt. I think its a safe, solid pick BUT if Trump is serious about this whole clean house thing he's on, it would make sense to make choices outside of politics but that have world experience. If I didn't find Trump such a scumbag of a man I could almost applaud so a choice.

Giuliani talks so much shit about Hillary as SoS, but when he's offered the same position and has a chance to do a better job and show her how it's done, he shits his pants and runs away.

lol

RPGCrazied

He knew congress wouldn't pass him. He is too damaged. But lol, Trump thinking about a CEO from a gas station for this job. Like what?

Talk about 0 experience.

Giuliani talks so much shit about Hillary as SoS, but when he's offered the same position and has a chance to do a better job and show her how it's done, he shits his pants and runs away.

lol

Rudy is a paper tiger through and through, just like Trump and the rest of the sycophants like him.

Neoweee

He knew congress wouldn't pass him. He is too damaged. But lol, Trump thinking about a CEO from a gas station for this job. Like what?

Talk about 0 experience.

State is the most important / 2nd most important position (next to Defense) to require approval, as he will ultimately be the leader in any big pushback or 25th Amendment actions.

This will probably be the most contentious, as at least 3 of the Never Trumps (Paul, Graham, McCain) absolutely fucking hate Trump, especially on foreign policy.

lol

He didn't have the votes to pass. It's not his fault.

Linkura

Josh Rogin ‏@joshrogin 47m47 minutes ago
The rumor I heard was that Rudy fell asleep in a meeting & Trump decided he just wasn't up for the SecState travel schedule & workload.

I'd like to believe this is true for the laughs.

Amazing.

It's official now, he won't be part of the administration in any capacity. They're claiming he dropped out voluntarily weeks ago lol.

So he "withdrew" on the 29th and on the 30th the Trump team announced him as one of the finalist for the position. Makes sense.

Yeah, sounds like bullshit. At any rate, this is good news. I'm sure his pick for SoS will be shitty (considering his picks for other positions, someone actually competent like Romney seems unlikely at this point), but good lord Giuliani would be such an international embarrassment as SoS. Glad he's been relegated to the Chris Christie pile of shame.

Ambient80

I am genuinely interested in the spin and defense of Trump voters/supporters defending these appointments.

Lol, you think they care? They got their guy in office. Most of the public gives no fucks about these appointments. Hillary Clinton made news by being Sec. of State because she's Hillary Clinton, and it was another thing to add to her resume when she ran again this year. Ask the random Trump voter who the current Sec. of State is and I'd be shocked if even a quarter of them got it right, never mind the other cabinet positions.

Kusagari

There's no way in hell the Exxon CEO gets through congress.

I cannot see Paul, Graham, McCain and the like approving a random gas CEO for a job like SoS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom