• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Robert Mueller brings on FBI official who oversaw Clinton email investigation

Ominym

Banned
As always: Guys, don't do this to yourselves!

Don't hype this up. That way it won't sting as much.
Mueller sure does have some pull. Getting all of these people who are clearly career driven and excellent at what they do to just come fuck off with him in a room must be some pretty hard work.

Shauni

Mueller sure does have some pull. Getting all of these people who are clearly career driven and excellent at what they do to just come fuck off with him in a room must be some pretty hard work.

His Netflix and Chill game is legendary

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Mueller: "Let's just do it and be legends"

neoanarch

If I had a bit of talent I'd make a fake movie trailer about this already.

TO TAKE DOWN A COMPROMISED PRESIDENCY

IT TAKES MORE THAN ONE MAN

IT TAKES A TEAM

IT TAKES A JUSTICE SQUAD

insider1.jpg

"It's all dark except the tenth floor. That's the legal department. That's where they fuck with my life."

Jesus, I thought he was supposed to be Assange at first before I caught the reference.

_Ryo_

Weird question. Could Mueller bring Comey onto his team if he wanted? This ignores if this is ethical/moral or not or any conflicts of interest.

Trouble

Banned
Weird question. Could Mueller bring Comey onto his team if he wanted? This ignores if this is ethical/moral or not or any conflicts of interest.

It would definitely be a conflict of interest. Plus it would give Trump the excuse he's looking for to fire Mueller.

Out of all of this, I feel bad for Hollywood. How do you come up with a political drama crazier than this that seems realistic enough? I mean, short of an assassination we have the Manchurian Candidate as President. Most writers would laugh at the scenario we are witnessing and say it's too far fetched.

He could, but it would definitely allow for questions on impartiality and ethics. Thankfully it looks like Mueller is going the extra mile to make sure everything is to the letter of the law.

The best that this will do is distract the government from passing legislation and maybe get a few people in trumps inner circle fired. I just cant see trump getting impeached unless the dems pull off a miracle win in 2018

Doesn't need him, regardless. Mueller was the guy Comey went to when he was scared and in over his head, not the other way around.

The scale, and talent this investigation has aggregated over time points to something deeply fucking troubling in the White House.

And I hope Trump gets better lawyers, because if he gets legally steamrolled out of office there's going to be a lot of die hard supporters that are pretty much teetering along the edge of radicalisation AKA the republican base. That won't take kindly to dear Donald being convicted.

A bunch of ted bundys going AWOL all at once.

Trump tweets: "Wow witch hunt, they are now trying to impeach me? we should have an armed rally and protest"

Donald Trump will never go to jail. This isn't a cynical thing to say either, it's just not going to be something that will be allowed to happen, just like with Nixon, the nuclear option will be a resignation coupled with a pardon (and yes, he could still be brought up on state charges, but the gravity of convicting a former President will scare off any DA from doing it).

A lot of blue state AGs (namely New York) could prosecute Trump and basically guarantee themselves public office for life (either as permanent AG, Governorships, or infinite Senate seats. There would be no backlash at all.

The scale, and talent this investigation has aggregated over time points to something deeply fucking troubling in the White House.

And I hope Trump gets better lawyers, because if he gets legally steamrolled out of office there's going to be a lot of die hard supporters that are pretty much teetering along the edge of radicalisation AKA the republican base. That won't take kindly to dear Donald being convicted.

A bunch of ted bundys going AWOL all at once.

Trump tweets: "Wow witch hunt, they are now trying to impeach me? we should have an armed rally and protest"

Ted Bundy?

Donald Trump will never go to jail. This isn't a cynical thing to say either, it's just not going to be something that will be allowed to happen, just like with Nixon, the nuclear option will be a resignation coupled with a pardon (and yes, he could still be brought up on state charges, but the gravity of convicting a former President will scare off any DA from doing it).

Having said that, over 100 people in Nixon's administration went to jail, over 300 in Reagan's went to jail. So, a lot of people are going to end up in jail.

Okay, serious question, are Nixon's, Reagan's, and Trump's administrations the only ones in recent history that have been this shady and had this many people go to jail (well, for Nixon and Reagan for that part)? If so, how does this not paint the republican party in an extremely bad light if they're the only party that does blatantly criminal things in politics several times over the course of decades? How is this not a sign as a deeper problem of complacency and deliberate criminal conduct in the party as a whole?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OneMOre.gif

OK, we'll get one more.

Jesus Christ, this is the goddamn dream team. Is there anyone they haven't called in yet? Superman? Batman? Spider-Man?

Maximo

Okay, serious question, are Nixon's, Reagan's, and Trump's administrations the only ones in recent history that have been this shady and had this many people go to jail (well, for Nixon and Reagan for that part)? If so, how does this not paint the republican party in an extremely bad light if they're the only party that does blatantly criminal things in politics several times over the course of decades? How is this not a sign as a deeper problem of complacency and deliberate criminal conduct in the party as a whole?

Facts reason and logic have never mattered to republican voters and the party itself, they have a tribal outlook on voting much like being obsessed with a sports team. Doesn't matter how bad they are or how many scandals they are involved in they would still punch someone at a local pub for bad mouthing their team.

jelly

Having said that, over 100 people in Nixon's administration went to jail, over 300 in Reagan's went to jail. So, a lot of people are going to end up in jail

Wow, had no idea. Is that common knowledge?

Fergie

Banned
The Justice League of lawyers.

I'm sure Trump and his people are shook and looking for a reason to bin his investigation. Problem is it'll be suicide if they do.

Out of all of this, I feel bad for Hollywood. How do you come up with a political drama crazier than this that seems realistic enough? I mean, short of an assassination we have the Manchurian Candidate as President. Most writers would laugh at the scenario we are witnessing and say it's too far fetched.

They always say reality is stranger than fiction

Dirca

Thank you for bringing some reality. When the smoke clears, people will be gone. Trump won't be one of them. You'll get that chance Nov. 2020

Like theres so many ways my mind has fun with this.

Those agents could be like oceans eleven. Just a raw ass squad rollin thru cleaning shit up stylish and efficient.

Or its some Death Note dire fuckin situation where every single move is calculated or coordinated. There are some intelligent people on this case. This is will come to an ending regardless of the length it takes. If these motherfuckers really baited this man Jr, then I think its safe to say they had all this bullshit from the beginning and just let the red hang themselves.

CrisKre

Surely they couldn't have been dumb enough to leave evidence of criminal activity in emails.................................oh

I see this a lot... and while I agree that there was a great level of stupidity in this whole thing from the Trump camp the notion that Jr. tweeting the emails was a stupid move is just not how I see it (I realise this is not exactly what you are stating, but this is something I have been wanting to address, so I apoligize for going a bit off the topic your statement is discussiong- i.e. how mindnumbling careless they seem to have been in their contacts with russia). We have to always remember their main concern right now has to be the number of investigations that are taking place. As such, releasing the emails was his ONLY line of action to try and deflect that threat. By releasing the emails the attempt is to write the narrative and do damage control, since they KNOW they where going to surface as part of the investigation. Sure, they could have denied the NY Times or the Post releasing the emails by saying they are fake, but they know well that doesn´t fly with the investigation. In this context its better to face the music and confess to the meeting, and try to advert repercussions. They are of course hoping leaks end here, which I highly doubt.

But the actual tweeting of the emails is far from dumb. They are pretty cunning in doing so actually. It helps them build the best possible counter deffense (the dems are the ones to blame) while stating their desire to be transparent (to condition those supporters with low critical thinking skills willing buy it). In short, they can attempt to frame their wrongdoing on their terms and build on that narrative while deflecting blame.

Thank you for bringing some reality. When the smoke clears, people will be gone. Trump won't be one of them. You'll get that chance Nov. 2020

Lose me with this. We've only gone what, 15 years without an impeachment in this country? 40 years without a president resigning? And for reasons that were about 1/10th as justified?

You have no idea what you're talking about, and you're basing this on a pointless cynicism that you need to let go of. Shrugging and saying "oh well, nothing will happen anyway" is less than useless.

Having said that, over 100 people in Nixon's administration went to jail, over 300 in Reagan's went to jail. So, a lot of people are going to end up in jail.
It makes me wonder what kind of punishment would justifiable if everything is as it appears and Trump committed treason. What does he deserve?

I see this a lot... and while I agree that there was a great level of stupidity in this whole thing from the Trump camp the notion that Jr. tweeting the emails was a stupid move is just not how I see it (I realise this is not exactly what you are stating, but this is something I have been wanting to address, so I apoligize for going a bit off the topic your statement is discussiong- i.e. how mindnumbling careless they seem to have been in their contacts with russia). We have to always remember their main concern right now has to be the number of investigations that are taking place. As such, releasing the emails was his ONLY line of action to try and deflect that threat. By releasing the emails the attempt is to write the narrative and do damage control, since they KNOW they where going to surface as part of the investigation. Sure, they could have denied the NY Times or the Post releasing the emails by saying they are fake, but they know well that doesn´t fly with the investigation. In this context its better to face the music and confess to the meeting, and try to advert repercussions. They are of course hoping leaks end here, which I highly doubt.

But the actual tweeting of the emails is far from dumb. They are pretty cunning in doing so actually. It helps them build the best possible counter deffense (the dems are the ones to blame) while stating their desire to be transparent (to condition those supporters with low critical thinking skills willing buy it). In short, they can attempt to frame their wrongdoing on their terms and build on that narrative while deflecting blame.

I don't buy the bolded. You're essentially saying that you think releasing the e-mails is in the hopes that the Mueller is focus his investigation specifically on this and stop pulling at any other loose threads, and I think he, and the team he's assembled, are way too smart to fall for that. They're still going to investigate everything they can find, and at best this allows the Trump team a media narrative/defense when it comes to this specific topic, and it's a narrative that absolutely won't dissuade investigators at all.

Shauni

I doubt there the only ones, but no one even close to that scale between those two

A lot of blue state AGs (namely New York) could prosecute Trump and basically guarantee themselves public office for life (either as permanent AG, Governorships, or infinite Senate seats. There would be no backlash at all.

You know, I hope you're right, but I feel like it'll be like Nixon. Everyone will want to move on and no one will want to open that can of worms. Love to be wrong, though

The best that this will do is distract the government from passing legislation and maybe get a few people in trumps inner circle fired. I just cant see trump getting impeached unless the dems pull off a miracle win in 2018

The House majority is so slim, Dems winning back that wouldn't be a miracle, so they could easily draw up articles of impeachment. Now, removing Trump is different matter. Taking back the Senate would be a miracle. I kind of doubt Trump would survive the impeachment, though.

Top Bottom