• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Undocumented Immigrant is Being Deported 5 Minutes After Being Told She Can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/us/undocumented-mom-deportation-order-ice-trnd/

Its a few days old, but I saw this today on CNN and it broke my heart.

She has lived, undocumented, in the United States for 18 years. Her husband and five of her children are American citizens.
Since US Immigration and Customs Enforcement learned of her status in 2005, Francisca Lino has had to check in about twice a year with the federal agency. The anxiety leading up to every meeting triggers migraines.
Tuesday's meeting at the ICE office in Chicago was Lino's first check-in since President Donald Trump signed orders that dramatically expanded immigration officers' power. He's made it clear no one's safe from deportation.

When Lino, 50, her husband Diego, their 16-year-old daughter Britzy and Britzy's two sisters arrived at the federal building, the scene felt strange.
Before prior visits, Lino's supporters had held news conferences and prayer circles outside its walls.
This time, the security guards shut it all down. Lino, her family and her lawyer walked in.

About an hour later, Lino re-emerged, clapped her hands together, then quickened her step and ran, arms outstretched in joy.
"Thank God!" she yelled. "Thanks to all of you!!"
"Yes, she could!" a supporter howled.
"They gave me a year until I have to come back," Lino told CNN. "So we're going to try to fight for my visa."
Relief lasted for five minutes.

In 2005, Lino admitted during her visa application process that she'd once tried to use fake papers to get into the United States. She was detained for 28 days.
Their fate now, as a family, lie with an ICE officer who reports, indirectly, to Trump.
Less than a half-hour after they went back in, the family pushed open the federal building's glass doors and stepped outside.
"There were changes," Lino said, her face grim.
Immigration officers told Lino to return July 11, suitcases packed and plane ticket in hand. That's her deportation date.

The mix of the Trump camp's xenophobia and pure incompetence combined to create the worst situation for the targeted people: simultaneously having hopes and dreams dashed tragically in an instant after they were built and confusion as to why while you're being sent away

Kevyt

That's horrible... She is gonna leave her family behind? Her husband and her daughter? Is immigration and customs enforcement not realizing what they're doing??

They're literally breaking a family.

Incarmine

Banned
That's horrible... She is gonna leave her family behind? Her husband and her daughter? Is immigration and customs enforcement not realizing what they're doing??

She's brown. She's not human to them.

smurfx

get some go again

this is exactly what trump supporters want. the more damage they can inflict on undocumented people the better.

sazzy

She's married to an American citizen.

How is she not a citizen already?*

*by which I mean, why hasn't she applied for citizenship already?

fenners

How is she not a citizen already?

Being married to a US citizen doesn't automatically grant you citizenship - there's a timetable & rules before you can apply, and it's not 100% automatic.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

It's what America choose on November 8.

Ishan

How is she not a citizen already?
Undicumented so would have to leave reapply for visa/citizenship . If you don't have a record and no signs of visa fraud it's def possible and often approved with some checks etc . If you have a record (either bad criminal or immigration fraud the us is very strict on those applications) .so I'm assuming since she wasn't getting deported she never left . Now if she'll leave and who know in how long and if she'll be allowed back in .

Tagyhag

Undicumented so would have to leave reapply for visa/citizenship . If you don't have a record and no signs of visa fraud it's def possible and often approved with some checks etc . If you have a record (either bad criminal or immigration fraud the us is very strict on those applications) .so I'm assuming since she wasn't getting deported she never left . Now if she'll leave and who know in how long and if she'll be allowed back in .

Since she's getting deported I believe that she has to wait 10 years before coming back.

Ishan

How is she not a citizen already?*

*by which I mean, why hasn't she applied for citizenship already?
Refer to explanation you apply while undocumented open up your self to deportation proceedings . Etc also often first time visas or many status changes require application from your home county or sometime a visit back to the home country temporarily .

Ishan

Since she's getting deported I believe that she has to wait 10 years before coming back.
Ah yeah I remember that rule . But is there no scope or relaxation in cases ? Like for example committing a crime can put your immigration at risk but there are rules stating type of crime punishment etc which ensure someone does not get barred for trivial things such a speeding ticket or a noise violation .

Are there exceptions to the 10 year rule for deportations ?

Future

To work in immigration at all you have to be cool with this as it's literally their job. And American was cool with this when they voted trump

If you want strong borders this is how you force it to be a reality. You don't look at the circumstances you just look at the facts and deport if needed. Cold blooded, but tons of Americans wanted this

Ishan

To work in immigration at all you have to be cool with this as it's literally their job. And American was cool with this when they voted trump

If you want strong borders this is how you force it to be a reality. You don't look at the circumstances you just look at the facts and deport if needed. Cold blooded, but tons of Americans wanted this
Yeah this . In many cases some judgement call can be made but in many cases the law/order is clear and harsh and the immigration official just simply may not be in a position to help even if they wanted to .

Wilsongt

Well, I am sure she had done something illegal. That's why they are deporting her.

If can't be overstated enough: Fuck this country.

Ishan

Well, I am sure she had done something illegal. That's why they are deporting her.

If can't be overstated enough: Fuck this country.
It's the prior trial at entry with fake papers. Immigration in the us is very strict with any form of immigration fraud .

NoRéN

Come on. You know the answer to that.

Build up their hopes and them crush them for maximum enjoyment aye?

Fuckers.

latest

Trump went to Hope's Peak confirmed.

The thought of a bunch of Trump supporting fuckwads hearing a story like this and feeling proud and happy about it like this somehow makes America safer or whatever the fuck they think this makes America, makes me so fucking angry. I can just see some smug fuck smiling at a story like this and I just want to punch something.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Even racists need to understand that these people are essential to our economy. Even if you hate them, do the math and think about the effect on your lifestyle. You're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The thought of a bunch of Trump supporting fuckwads hearing a story like this and feeling proud and happy about it like this somehow makes America safer or whatever the fuck they think this makes America, makes me so fucking angry. I can just see some smug fuck smiling at a story like this and I just want to punch something.

A well written personal story might affect a few people and maybe even change a mind. That's one of the more noble purposes of good journalism.

A well written personal story might affect a few people and maybe even change a mind. That's one of the more noble purposes of good journalism.
Tis true. And I do appreciate some good journalism. But holy shit does this ever strike a nerve with me. Its just so infuriating.

statham

this is wrong, some wrong stuff you can justify, I don't see how this one case you can. I hope peeps more powerful then me can do something before deport date.

Koomaster

I don't understand, if she's married to a US citizen, why is she not allowed to stay here and apply for citizenship as well? In all this time was that not an option?

Also they have been making her check-in twice a year for nearly two decades for what reason? Seems an awful waste of time, either deport her or let her finally stay and be done with it. Guess they are finally choosing an option with the new political tide. But I don't understand why she was kept in this limbo for so long.

UberTag

Congrats on getting another bad hombre out of the country.

Anger is what you're supposed to feel. Keep that anger up when it comes time to vote again in 2018 and put the Russian-sympathizer racists in their place.

mnannola

Thank you Trump, I feel safer already.

What about the rest of her family though? I am sure they are plotting something. I know they are citizens but please Trump, can you just make them go away?

Oh you can't do anything because they are citizens? I'm sure Big Boy Bannon could do something about them. Should I just ask him instead? Maybe you aren't cut out for this job after all...

Quotient

She has lived, undocumented, in the United States for 18 years. Her husband and five of her children are American citizens.

If her husband and children are US citizens then she should be able to apply for residence. Is there something i am missing?

Liberty4all

Banned

I'm a supporter of the president but I'll admit the story is tragic.

On one hand it sends a strong message to any other would be illegal aliens, on the other there is certainly a massive human tragedy element to this case.

I fall on the side "the law is the law". She came at age 32, she knew the risks. While I personally hope she can get an expedited visa back I recognize she can't due to the 10 years if deported law - another rule in place to discourage illegal immigration.

This is a valuable lesson on respecting the immigration laws of the United States, and the grave consequences of not doing so. Ideally examples such as this will discourage potential aliens from breaking US immigration law.

I do find it refreshing to see immigration laws finally being enforced. Laws without consequences are useless.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

On one hand it sends a strong message to any other would be illegal aliens, on the other there is certainly a massive human tragedy element to this case.

I fall on the side "the law is the law". She came at age 32, she knew the risks. While I personally hope she can get an expedited visa back I recognize she can't due to the 10 years if deported law - another rule in place to discourage illegal immigration.

This is a valuable lesson on respecting the immigration laws of the United States, and the grave consequences of not doing so. Ideally examples such as this will discourage potential aliens from breaking US immigration law.

I do find it refreshing to see immigration laws finally being enforced. Laws without consequences are useless.

I have a feeling this will not go down as smoothly as you think it will.

Well I'm glad you find it refreshing thats family is being torn apart who did no harm to you because it's about time and a message needs to be sent...

There is a fine line between right and wrong. Laws are made to protect the people. When a law is being enforced that does nothing but destroy a family decades after the law was broken then enforcing it does absolutely nothing of any value. "That'll show other people about thinking of coming here illegally" is not a morally justified excuse for shit like this to happen.

The law is the law but fuck the law in situations like this.

You can respect the law and even support a racist, sexist pig and still have enough self respect and dignity to not make excuses for the actions being taken here. Fuck that shit.

Liberty4all

Banned
Well I'm glad you find it refreshing thats family is being torn apart who did no harm to you because it's about time and a message needs to be sent...

The laws are the laws. She knew coming into the country illegally she was breaking the law.

The fact that this wasn't addressed for 18 years makes the entire situation that much more tragic.

Immigration has been a political hot potatoe for years with laws on the books being basically ignored by various administrations.

That doesn't change the fact that she broke US Immigration law, and there are consequences to doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom