• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cocoon(Annapurna's new game with lead developer of Limbo/Inside) is getting great reviews. 89 on Metacritic.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Finished today and I'm pretty mixed on it. The concept is wonderful and there are some really interesting design choices that are equal parts brilliant but at the same time rob the game of any form of challenge. Having the areas lock themselves off once their role in the puzzle is completed will certainly prevent frustration from players, but it also limits the complexity of any given puzzle. At times it feels like you are manually kicking off each step of an intricate Rube Goldberg machine rather than solving a headscratcher. There is so much potential to the concept, especially when you have the orbs, but the lack of challenge robs you of any "ah ha" moments. Maybe the intention was it to be more of journey and less about stumping players, but I do think it lacks any sense of place. In the end, I think the design of game is far more interesting than playing it, but I'd still recommend playing it just to see the design given how short the experience is.
Exactly this.

If the areas didn’t self-lock after solving each puzzle it would soon become a nightmare. But as it is, it’s pretty straightforward. I only got stuck at the very final puzzle because it gives you two visual clues that contradict each other (or maybe one of the two clues is true if you seek the hidden ending? I dunno).
It’s a nice little game for what it offers, but one I will never replay.
I’m also not fond of the artstyle or the supremely obscure visual/environmental storytelling. Elden Ring is a straightforward child’s tale compared to this. I wish indies finally got the message that you don’t need this to make a game interesting.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Completed it today and really enjoyed it. understand the points about frustration of not being able to go back to an area, as I missed some collectibles. Overall, a great experience. Not too challenging but a fun mechanic. Great game.

Did anyone do the secret ending?

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
You can go back to chapter select once finished. I missed one ancestor. Ending just leaves a lot open for sequels will never get.

Jesb

I’ve only played maybe an hour or so beat the first boss and it’s pretty great. Just a beautiful game, and I don’t get frustrated with these puzzles like I do in some others. I’m getting some Metroid prime vibes from this from some of the puzzles. It’s games like this that are so necessary with all the same type of games we usually get. Indie games is probably the best thing to happen to the industry.

Buggy Loop

Just finished this today. There's no OT of this game it seems?

Superb game. Climbs in my top 3 GOTY 2023. The artists and whomever made those puzzles, mind blowing.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

RickMasters

I’m glad people are still talking about this game on here. Not every game has to be some big time sink, filled with dialogue and script. Sometimes it’s just about pure raw game design.

tommib

I’m glad people are still talking about this game on here. Not every game has to be some big time sink, filled with dialogue and script. Sometimes it’s just about pure raw game design.
I’ll be finishing it tonight. I’m at 89%. Such a good title. And I love how short it is. Almost all games I play lately overstay their welcome. This is just super tight.

I’ve only played maybe an hour or so beat the first boss and it’s pretty great. Just a beautiful game, and I don’t get frustrated with these puzzles like I do in some others. I’m getting some Metroid prime vibes from this from some of the puzzles. It’s games like this that are so necessary with all the same type of games we usually get. Indie games is probably the best thing to happen to the industry.
Metroid Prime vibes....

Buy Consume GIF by MOODMAN

Shit, instead I let my friends talk me into buying Lethal Company for our mp sessions and got brutally bored within an hour.

Getting this for the weekend I think.

Finally bought this and I noped out after an hour and a half. I felt like I was on auto-pilot. I found this whole game incredibly dull to actually play. It looks and sounds good, albeit a bit cliche Indie Game by now imo, but the one-button gimmick and general gameplay just bored me to tears.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Finally bought this and I noped out after an hour and a half. I felt like I was on auto-pilot. I found this whole game incredibly dull to actually play. It looks and sounds good, albeit a bit cliche Indie Game by now imo, but the one-button gimmick and general gameplay just bored me to tears.
I think the correct way to play Cocoon is precisely to zone out a bit and enter autopilot mode.
The game is very chill. It’s not supposed to be engaging or particularly challenging. They did an excellent job of blocking off already threaded ground, so the player can focus only on the current puzzle. I finished the game in one sitting, because I didn’t think I’d be motivated enough to return to it if I left it on hold.

Top Bottom