• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
By the impressions, looks like the only version that got the love was the 360 version :lol .

I played the SP for a few hours and imo it looks better and controls better than Reflex and WaW. There were parts in Reflex that looked miserable, like the heli sequence. Busy parts here only look mediocre. But perhaps that will change after I'm done with Nam(?).

I had an overall bad impression of MW:R SP campaign. Sometimes the framerate was really low and with bad fogy graphics to boot. While i had a very good time with this last night. And, unlike Reflex, I never felt that frame-rate was impeding my ability to shoot. But maybe playing CoD4 on my PC before skewed my view of that game?

About this vs Goldeneye, yeah, Goldeneye SP looks much better. Its an engine and game build form the ground. But the (online) MP looks and runs bad.

gamingeek

EDarkness said:
I don't understand this fascination with the graphics, especially since this is obviously a low end version of the HD game where they tried to get as much out of it as they could. If people were so interested in the graphics then the option to get the HD versions is there and my guess is that is where most of the Black Ops players went anyway. The few Wii owners who bought this version are still getting a pretty decent game.

No they are fucking not.

And the graphics have gotten worse, is a stable framerate too much to ask?

Anyhow, someone tell me why it takes Treyarch the entire game to get the last level at a stable frame rate and looking good with nice lighting and effects? The last f******* level!

Then, whose genuis idea was it to cover the entire level in inpenetrable smoke? That guy needs a beat down.

So I finally complete this POS, then the game freezes for the 3rd time on the final cutscene of the game just as the plot is being resolved. I have to power down the wii by holding down the red button. I restart and the game has saved the checkpoint pre-tank before the yellow haze rains down. I am not going through all that again just to have the game freeze on me again.

Mother**** I will check the ending on youtube.

I am returning this game.

rpmurphy

Activision probably needs to start considering splitting the SP and MP development entirely into two games if they keep making the game bigger while sacrificing performance, IQ, and optimization. :lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Game freezes by the end, eh? I guess I will find out in two days when I finish the SP. Gamingeek, bad to hear you didn't had a good time with this title.

Jethro

I had similar problems in Reflex SP.

But for me CoD is all about the Multi.

So we have GoldenEye for the Singleplayer experience and Black Ops for the Multiplayer.

I don't think it's too much to ask to get a damn COMPLETE game, with all the modes and levels. The missing killstreak perks, (zombie) levels, and the bad impressions of SP are urging me to get a cheap bluetooth adapter and set glovepie up to play on my HTPC with a wiimote.

HisshouBuraiKen said:
I don't think it's too much to ask to get a damn COMPLETE game, with all the modes and levels. The missing killstreak perks, (zombie) levels, and the bad impressions of SP are urging me to get a cheap bluetooth adapter and set glovepie up to play on my HTPC with a wiimote.

Yea, it's disappointing to say the least.

I thought we were done with cutting content out of the games after getting a complete COD4 last year.

Disturbingly, this is the second time that Treyarch have been quiet pre-release about cutting features from the Wii version only for early customers to find out that they were deceived about the feature set.

To be fair, it sounds like the other versions are underwhelming in the graphics department too. It seems like there's a fair share of lag and glitches.

I wouldn't say Treyarch deceived Wii owners; when you have no marketing there's no deception. "You can't complain about the lack of perks because we never promised any!"

Lone_Prodigy said:
To be fair, it sounds like the other versions are underwhelming in the graphics department too. It seems like there's a fair share of lag and glitches.

I wouldn't say Treyarch deceived Wii owners; when you have no marketing there's no deception. "You can't complain about the lack of perks because we never promised any!"

this

the HD versions are looking everything but nice or even great.
low-res and muddy

Jethro

Lonely1 said:
To be fair, is still the best online multiplayer available for the Wii to date. :)

Absolutely. Thanks to Treyarch we have a real voice chat now. (As long you are living in a country where you can buy the headset..) Not that Wii Speak Bullshit.

Besides Conduit 2 there is nothing left.

via that banned Nintendo site:
RUMOR - Does Call of Duty: Black Ops have issues with the Wii LAN adapter?

I use my Wii LAN adapter every time I go online. If it's to download a game, play something online or watch a movie, I'm always connected via LAN. Looks like I may not have that option when I play Call of Duty: Black Ops, though. Reader MeleeKirby went through a long process of figuring out why he can't get online for some Black Ops action, when he discovered that his LAN adapter was the issue. Black Ops would connect via wifi no problem, but using the LAN adapter caused an issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

anyone can confirm?

ridiculous if true. how can they disable the freaking lanadapter? I didn't even know that's possible

jufonuk

not tag worthy
iamaustrian said:
via that banned Nintendo site:

anyone can confirm?

ridiculous if true. how can they disable the freaking lanadapter? I didn't even know that's possible

?? bloody random

[Nintex]

Little did MeleeKirby know that 'things break'. Ya know things break, maybe his LAN Adaptor is broken or something or it's a third party one and Nintendo disabled it with new firmware.

Disguises

Would be a shame if true. Guess it's time to see the patch system in action.
If it is true, I don't see Treyarch being able to fix this...

[Nintex] said:
Little did MeleeKirby know that 'things break'. Ya know things break, maybe his LAN Adaptor is broken or something or it's a third party one and Nintendo disabled it with new firmware.

I'm sure that he tried other games or the internet browser before claiming that BO has this problem.
btw I also own a 3rd party LAN adaptor and have the newest firmware and it still works flawlessly

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So does anyone know where to get the headset in Canada?

rpmurphy

[Nintex] said:
At least several people on gamefaqs are reporting the same problem, so it's seems to be an issue with the game. Or with router configs.

Luigiv

Cow Mengde said:
Where did you get this info? That's pretty interesting if it's true.
Someone posted it earlier, though I can't seem to find it now. Also if you look at the videos, you'll see heaps of wasteful geometry, which lends credibility to the idea.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
iamaustrian said:
I'm sure that he tried other games or the internet browser before claiming that BO has this problem.
btw I also own a 3rd party LAN adaptor and have the newest firmware and it still works flawlessly
Maybe is some oddity on his personal network then. Like BO requiring ports that are closed.

VAIL

Got around to playing this today... and I think they did a bang up job, it's a leap ahead of COD4:Reflex and vastly far and ahead the best shooter on Wii. The single player I only played a bit, but it's pretty good as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm really not surprised that people are having issues with this. It's not built for the Wii. Not that your criticisms are invalid, especially comparing the game to World at War and Modern Warfare, but it doesn't change the situation. The game is not a Wii game. Its a downscaled port. You're not going to get a nice looking polished game unless they make a Call of Duty from the ground up for the Wii. If you want the 'full' experience the way it was meant to perform, look, and play, you should be playing it on another system.

Anyway, I wont be touching the single player on the Wii. PC maybe, if I can be bothered. My housemate's boyfriend will eat up the multiplayer though, and as long as that works and feels at least similar to Modern Warfare I doubt he will have any complaints.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I just played this with the CCP. Auto aim and sticky aim are ridiculous high. Is the same case with all the FPSes? The only dual analog fpses I can test right now are Kz2 and Resistance 2, and I remember those not being this high.

Definitely dont get the hate. Aside from a few questionable textures and some framerate hiccups, this is a damn good looking game. It's impressive how they got so much stuff going around in this version.

MiniDitka

Just finished the 360 and Wii versions and there are a few differences in the single player campaign.

Boat level on the Wii you drive to a location and get off, 360 you have to take out targets first before you land(also has the Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" playing which isn't in the Wii)

When Mason gets out of the chair at the start of the last level its basically a cutscene on the Wii, 360 you take control of the character.

Final level on the Wii you ride in a chopper for a few seconds than crash on a ship, 360 you have to take out a bunch of targets first than you crash.

Final level when you dive into the ocean as soon as you hit bottom you go straight to the ship, 360 you control the character and swim to the ship

I think a few cutscenes might be shorter as well.

Game froze on me during the beginning cutscene of the final level and the only way I could finish the game was to go to level select, start the last level and skip the cutscene otherwise it would freeze up again

Think I'll make a video showing the differences

rpmurphy said:
At least several people on gamefaqs are reporting the same problem, so it's seems to be an issue with the game. Or with router configs.

it's definitely the game. I read through the comments and all experienced the same issue.
play the game with LAN adapter(3rd party and the official Nintendo one don't work) it will freeze; unplug and play wireless = no freezes

goddamnit

Totally impressed, totally glad I got this version, but i had two occurrences where I had to restart the wii in about 45 min of playing tonight.

First was when I got disconnected from a host in multiplayer (happens a lot) my cursor was stuck moving down and I couldn't do anything in the game menus. I disconnected the nunchuk and it didn't help.

Second was in single player I was pausing to adjust the aim controls and the game hard locked. Had to switch off the wii, the remote power button was unresponsive.

Otherwise the game is really great, looks excellent and plays very smooth.

Online connections were pretty bad, hit detection was all over the place in some matches and fine in some.

Only about 2700 people online with this version :( There's like 3 million on the 360, lol.

kottila

So, this game or Goldeneye. I won't play online more than a couple of times, so that dosen't really matter.

edit: none of them has split screen co-op right?

Disguises

kottila said:
So, this game or Goldeneye. I won't play online more than a couple of times, so that dosen't really matter.
From what I've heard, it seems like Goldeneye is the better single player game. I'm still waiting for my copies of both games, so I can't give you my opinion yet. Maybe the single player Black Ops is worth a rent?

gamingeek

EatChildren said:
I'm really not surprised that people are having issues with this. It's not built for the Wii. Not that your criticisms are invalid, especially comparing the game to World at War and Modern Warfare, but it doesn't change the situation. The game is not a Wii game. Its a downscaled port. You're not going to get a nice looking polished game unless they make a Call of Duty from the ground up for the Wii. If you want the 'full' experience the way it was meant to perform, look, and play, you should be playing it on another system.

Apart from Halo and Bioshock I buy only Wii shooters and I'm comparing it to past Wii COD shooters.

I'm not looking for anything that far over and above what they have already done with COD reflex or WaW. The single player is annoying enough with the instant deaths and cutscene interuptions. Add to that a framerate that is only stable on the first and last level and having the game freeze several times and lose progress, it's just not fun to me.

MiniDitka said:
Game froze on me during the beginning cutscene of the final level and the only way I could finish the game was to go to level select, start the last level and skip the cutscene otherwise it would freeze up again

SonOfABeep said:
i had two occurrences where I had to restart the wii in about 45 min of playing tonight.

Second was in single player I was pausing to adjust the aim controls and the game hard locked. Had to switch off the wii, the remote power button was unresponsive.

Glad to see I'm not blowing hot air here on the game freezing up.

gamingeek

kottila said:

edit: none of them has split screen co-op right?

So you're like me then, only interested in single player. Well then the choice is easy, get Goldeneye.

If you are desperate, rent Black Ops. It has fantastic controls that should be experienced but I found everything else to be a let down.

I just finished Goldeneye last night and apart from one level the entire game ranges from good to excellent.

Purchase-relevant question here:

Does the Wii-Version has online CoOp? I was pretty sure to have heard something about this in the past.

GeekyDad

Lonely1 said:
To be fair, is still the best online multiplayer available for the Wii to date. :)

Hmm...? I'm assuming you mean online shooters, not online multiplayer overall. I've been trying my damnedest to get into the online multiplayer, but it's too framey to really enjoy. It has its moments, but for the most part, online play is too unstable to be labeled "best online anything," in my opinion.

The discussion of graphics is as old as my dead grandma's salty knickers, and we all "get it" by it now. The problem (for me, anyway) here is, the graphics have a huge impact on the game's playability. I'm constantly fighting to aim because of lag spikes, a jittery framerate, and overall performance that is literally painful on my eyes after just a short while of play.

GoldenEye's online multiplayer is no better, unfortunately, but it's a game that does have the good fortune of having a really good single-player offering. Outside of the excellent leveling system, Black Ops Wii is shit in a box.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Frencherman said:
Purchase-relevant question here:

Does the Wii-Version has online CoOp? I was pretty sure to have heard something about this in the past.

I heard that the battle school thing is also online co-op

fabprems

VOOK said:
Haven't been able to connect to the online modes at all :/
Do you connect via LAN adaptater like iamaustrian said ?

Damn, I'm dying to play this game, can't wait until the 26th ....

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Profile thing worked, yeah no LAN adapter here. Cheers guys.

edit: Only 2600 people online overall? :(

rpmurphy

VOOK said:
Profile thing worked, yeah no LAN adapter here. Cheers guys.

edit: Only 2600 people online overall? :(
There will probably be more players when the holidays come around, since there was hardly any publicity about the Wii version for launch. At least, I'm waiting until after finals to start playing. :p

gamingeek

I played the Defector mission again, same level that crashed twice on me and it didn't crash at all, so I don't know what triggers the screen freeze.

Top Bottom