• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

fabprems

So, did anybody in Euroland got a copy of the game ? In France, I have very little hope to see the game before november 26th... :(

jufonuk

not tag worthy
fabprems said:
So, did anybody in Euroland got a copy of the game ? In France, I have very little hope to see the game before november 26th... :(

yes arrived here on release day in the UK from Amazon.co.uk

my GE copy came on the same day so in a dilema GE or blackops which one do I play first?

Just beat the campaign. Lots of fun. I think after Vietnam, the missions really pick up. Nothing is as frustrating as that level, although you will still encounter slowdown.

The controls are awesome, and the new weaponry handles really well. I don't know if it's just me, but it feels a little slower (run speed?) than MW:Reflex. Not sure though.

For those worried about graphics, it definitely doesn't look worse than Reflex, and in some places, looks better. Now to try multiplayer.

Wow it looks really good.

After enjoying Goldeneye Wii so much with pointer controls I might have to pick this up as well as the HD version.

Feel lucky you guys don't have the chopper gunner shit. It's annoying. It's hard enough to get that its basically only noobs getting it from care packages by luck and racking up 10+ free kills. I guess that will change when more people carry rockets.

So I'm trying to play online, and I've gotten the "Please Wait" for about five minutes now. Anyone have the game for Wii and able to sign on right now?

EDIT: Just read on Gamefaqs that others are having this problem as well. Just change the name of your profile. Sign online. Then you can change it back. I'm leaving this here in case anyone needs to know this bizarre fix.

Mr Sandman said:
Feel lucky you guys don't have the chopper gunner shit. It's annoying. It's hard enough to get that its basically only noobs getting it from care packages by luck and racking up 10+ free kills. I guess that will change when more people carry rockets.

Yeah. Obviously, there's stuff on the HD version that I'd love to have on this one, but I'm not mourning the loss of the gunship.

dream

Any issues with Zombies on this version? I'm about to cool uncle this shit for my nephew if there aren't any major compromises.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
dream said:
Any issues with Zombies on this version? I'm about to cool uncle this shit for my nephew if there aren't any major compromises.
I just played a bit of it, but looks likes it work. No local co-op would be the mayor compromise.

Effect

PS3/360/PC vs WIi comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaqvXFGub0 Those fire explosions look so out of place at times as they look better then everything else on the screen.

Here is the the Modern Warfare Refex comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QcwcXZTFGE

Maybe it's just me but I think the Wii version Modern Warfare looks like a better downgrade port then Black Ops is. MWR actually looks better I think. Black Ops looks to inconsistent. Maybe it's just the videos though and seeing it in person is different.

scitek

Effect said:
PS3/360/PC vs WIi comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaqvXFGub0 Those fire explosions look so out of place at times as they look better then everything else on the screen.

Here is the the Modern Warfare Refex comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QcwcXZTFGE

Maybe it's just me but I think the Wii version Modern Warfare looks like a better downgrade port then Black Ops is. MWR actually looks better I think. Black Ops looks to inconsistent. Maybe it's just the videos though and seeing it in person is different.

Nah, I think MWR looks better because it's not as ambitious. Treyarch likes to give their games the war movie feel, so they litter the screen with tons of explosions whereas Modern Warfare plays out more like an action movie and has more tight spaces. The geometry in MW seems a little simpler, too, so the jaggies aren't as bad for the most part. Things like the sugar cane field in Black Ops are aliased to hell.

EDarkness

Effect said:

Seems fine to me. I don't know what everyone was expecting, but with the sheer amount of stuff going on, I think they did a pretty damn good job, especially with the little RAM they have to work with. I'm surprised the Wii version is as close as it is. Can't wait to play it. The set pieces look great and the IR usage seems better than Goldeneye.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Effect said:

Sorry, but after playing the SP for a few hours, I have to disagree. Black Ops is better looking than WaW and Reflex. Yeah, some times the IQ is (relative) low, but its when there's lots of stuff going on, and even then it looks much better than similar busy parts of Reflex.

CamHostage

Lonely1 said:
Sorry, but after playing the SP for a few hours, I have to disagree. Black Ops is better looking than WaW and Reflex. Yeah, some times the IQ is (relative) low, but its when there's lots of stuff going on, and even then it looks much better than similar busy parts of Reflex.

Character models seem more intact as well. It's been a long time since I've seen Reflex, but I remember especially in the opening sequence where there's a lot of close-ups, characters just looked too blocky and low-res to pull the scene off with any conviction for me. A buddy went and got the Wii game of Black Ops and everything seems to work together just fine, it's not a killer app or anything on that level but I don't see a lot to complain about for Wii gamers.

scitek

Lonely1 said:
Well, an 8600 blows Hollywood away, several times over.

I'm honestly impressed with how close they got the experience to match the HD versions in all three of the last CoDs.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I noticed how the Wii version has more a more vivid colour scheme than the HD versions,

honestly that motorbike chase at the end looks really good , if the Wii can handle this surely some kind of MW2 reflex can be ported?

I am plowing through GE ATM and will crack on with this later on.

did play Zombie mode last night looked like a lot of fun I just need to get a headset.

gamingeek

Freezie KO said:
Just beat the campaign. Lots of fun. I think after Vietnam, the missions really pick up. Nothing is as frustrating as that level, although you will still encounter slowdown.

The controls are awesome, and the new weaponry handles really well. I don't know if it's just me, but it feels a little slower (run speed?) than MW:Reflex. Not sure though.

For those worried about graphics, it definitely doesn't look worse than Reflex, and in some places, looks better. Now to try multiplayer.

I disagree with this, the more I play the game the less I like it. Discussing it on the technical level this is worse than REFLEX, I feel like my initial judgement of it looking about the same or worse than WaW feels true. I am at the end of the second snow level and I have encountered far too many frame rate problems in the game as a whole. Reflex is much smoother. And it's not always in places where there is a lot of stuff going on, there were occasions where I was in a room with two other characters just standing about and the frame rate was slow.

And in similarly sized environments as WaW, here the frame rate chugged. This game is really visually inconsistent for me, it feels like it looks great on occasion, good sometimes, average most of the time and abysmal occasionally. Having the game crash twice on one particular level doesn't help either.

Now discussing the single player in terms of the design which is the same as the HD versions, I just don't like it. The campaign doesn't feel cohesive, it feels sort of off to me. In WaW or COD4 you were with your team and levels sort of logically progressed through locations. Here it feels very disparate, like the dev team said "Hey let's do a Hong Kong level! Hong Kong looks pretty cool!" so they stuck it in.

Also by reducing the normal difficulty level they've also exposed the weak AI and bare bones level design. There was this bit at the end of one level I jumped onto a boat and the camera turned around and I thought, hey this guy is going to do some slow motion dive and an explosion is going to go off just as he does. And then a second later my prediction came true. When a game becomes predictable, it's just not good.

Also, on the second snow level the objective indicator goes to hell and is pointing all over the freaking place. Then there is this timer ticking down on an explosive and infinite spawining and you don't even know where to go because the objective indicator is wigging out.

I think playing Goldeneye first has ruined COD for me, the AI and level design and weapon balance are all better in GE.

Excluding the controls in Black Ops, it feels to me that nothing has improved here in Treyarch's next game which is disappointing considering that they said we would be "blown away" and that it was ground up, when it obviously isn't.

If you get it for the multiplayer and zombie mode that's great, but single player is not so hot, apart from the fantastic controls IMO.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:
I think playing Goldeneye first has ruined COD for me, the AI and level design and weapon balance are all better in GE.....

...If you get it for the multiplayer and zombie mode that's great, but single player is not so hot, apart from the fantastic controls IMO.

I kinda had in my mind that GE would have the better singleplayer while Black ops would have the better multi
controls wise between the two maybe black ops feels a tiny bit tighter from the Off, though I got GE down to where I want it in about 30 seconds of tweaking

so overall would you say GE looks and plays better in single player where as black ops has the more consistent frame rate and controls for multiplayer?

I did have a go on one of the multiplayer maps and it seemed a lot more open then goldeneyes, plus i was able to rack up a lot more kills on black ops

once I get through GE I will see how black ops stacks up

fabprems

gamingeek said:
If you get it for the multiplayer and zombie mode that's great, but single player is not so hot, apart from the fantastic controls IMO.
It's my feeling since CoD2. I think the formula is getting really old by now, unfortunately, the (big) success came late for the franchise and now it's trapped in it.

I can only see the popularity of CoD fade away in the future, as people will grow tired of getting the same soup with a different name every year...

heringer

gamingeek said:
I disagree with this, the more I play the game the less I like it. Discussing it on the technical level this is worse than REFLEX, I feel like my initial judgement of it looking about the same or worse than WaW feels true. I am at the end of the second snow level and I have encountered far too many frame rate problems in the game as a whole. Reflex is much smoother. And it's not always in places where there is a lot of stuff going on, there were occasions where I was in a room with two other characters just standing about and the frame rate was slow.

And in similarly sized environments as WaW, here the frame rate chugged. This game is really visually inconsistent for me, it feels like it looks great on occasion, good sometimes, average most of the time and abysmal occasionally. Having the game crash twice on one particular level doesn't help either.

Now discussing the single player in terms of the design which is the same as the HD versions, I just don't like it. The campaign doesn't feel cohesive, it feels sort of off to me. In WaW or COD4 you were with your team and levels sort of logically progressed through locations. Here it feels very disparate, like the dev team said "Hey let's do a Hong Kong level! Hong Kong looks pretty cool!" so they stuck it in.

Also by reducing the normal difficulty level they've also exposed the weak AI and bare bones level design. There was this bit at the end of one level I jumped onto a boat and the camera turned around and I thought, hey this guy is going to do some slow motion dive and an explosion is going to go off just as he does. And then a second later my prediction came true. When a game becomes predictable, it's just not good.

Also, on the second snow level the objective indicator goes to hell and is pointing all over the freaking place. Then there is this timer ticking down on an explosive and infinite spawining and you don't even know where to go because the objective indicator is wigging out.

I think playing Goldeneye first has ruined COD for me, the AI and level design and weapon balance are all better in GE.

Excluding the controls in Black Ops, it feels to me that nothing has improved here in Treyarch's next game which is disappointing considering that they said we would be "blown away" and that it was ground up, when it obviously isn't.

The game does feel less cohesive tham it's predecessors because of the direction of the story, but they do wrap everything well in the end. At least in my opinion.

gamingeek

fabprems said:
It's my feeling since CoD2. I think the formula is getting really old by now, unfortunately, the (big) success came late for the franchise and now it's trapped in it.

I can only see the popularity of CoD fade away in the future, as people will grow tired of getting the same soup with a different name every year...

Also there is little gameplay variation that isn't scripted. You get to sneak and stealth kill some Vietcong in one of the levels, but it's all set up and scripted for you. Try to sneak about in other levels and it's completely impossible. They stage corridors with infinite spawning AI till you run foward into the fray. Then there are scripted motorbike chases and jeep/car driving sequences that have barebones gameplay but are staged to "look" cool.

And they keep interupting the single player levels with flashbacks of you being stuck in the interrogation room. Or even when you use the eye in the sky the game loads up a first person section than loads back the eye in the sky. You don't get that COD feeling of being in one big continuous level because it's constantly being interupted by distractions. The first snow level keeps cutting in and out of a Reznov monologue.

And with the bandana, he looks like Gears of Reznov :lol

jufonuk said:
I kinda had in my mind that GE would have the better singleplayer while Black ops would have the better multi
controls wise between the two maybe black ops feels a tiny bit tighter from the Off, though I got GE down to where I want it in about 30 seconds of tweaking

so overall would you say GE looks and plays better in single player where as black ops has the more consistent frame rate and controls for multiplayer?

I did have a go on one of the multiplayer maps and it seemed a lot more open then goldeneyes, plus i was able to rack up a lot more kills on black ops

once I get through GE I will see how black ops stacks up

Yeah I would go with that. As I said before though, online isn't my thing so I'm predominantly judging Black Ops on the single player. The little I played of Zombies and online deathmatch were smooth, with larger and more open levels than GE and the controls are really great which makes it better to play.

Luigiv

carlosp said:
question to the technical experts: would the Wii version be possible or Xbox or PS2?
Probably not. The Wii version has the exact same environmental Geometry as the HD versions (apparently) on top of large character count. That feat requires a lot of onscreen Polygons, which is much more to the Wii's strength then the PS2's or Xbox's. For comparison's sake, the Wii is capable of pushing something like 30 million triangle a second when pushed to it's limits. The PS2 and Xbox max out around 10 million.

Of course, I haven't played the game myself yet, so I'm taking fhywyzyyz's* word for it.

*or however the hell it's spelt. Worst username ever.

fabprems

carlosp said:
question to the technical experts: would the Wii version be possible or Xbox or PS2?
Oooh, please, let's talk about the game and not drag this thread to a wii/ps2 comparaison thread....

kinggroin

Banned
carlosp said:

Possibly. Im sure it can actually look better on xbox at least. To be fair though, it most definitely can look better even on the wii.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jufonuk said:
I noticed how the Wii version has more a more vivid colour scheme than the HD versions,

honestly that motorbike chase at the end looks really good , if the Wii can handle this surely some kind of MW2 reflex can be ported?
The color scheme isn't really more vivid, the game simply lacks lighting of any sort. It looks unfinished.

Goldeneye looks quite a bit more impressive than this.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
The color scheme isn't really more vivid, the game simply lacks lighting of any sort. It looks unfinished.

Goldeneye looks quite a bit more impressive than this.

And even that game can be rough looking at times...

Veal

:lol Yeah I can definitely believe this is running on Wii! Though I'm still going to get this, I can't help but be just a little dissapointed. Like some others have mentioned, Goldeneye has spoiled me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It looks pretty good considering the limitations. Given the issues the PC version is having at the moment I almost regret not getting this on Wii.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
poppabk said:
It looks pretty good considering the limitations. Given the issues the PC version is having at the moment I almost regret not getting this on Wii.
what;s wrong with the PC version?

How would you guys rate the multiplayer of Goldeneye vs. Black Ops? I haven't gotten a chance to mess with either yet (going through Goldeneye on 007 for my first playthrough and it's kicking my ass :p)

Effect

kinggroin said:
Possibly. Im sure it can actually look better on xbox at least. To be fair though, it most definitely can look better even on the wii.

This. This is my issue looking at this game. There are games that do look better. Is what Treyarch is showcasing in the game really the reason why it looks the way it does? I'm not sure I buy that. Would a different choice of colors have made a difference?

poppabk

jufonuk said:
what;s wrong with the PC version?
Some weird framerate and CPU utilization issues. It hasn't been too bad for me, maybe once a minute I get a second of bad stutter. For some other people it is a lot worse even though they have machines that could probably run the Wii version emulated at 1080p/60FPS with massive amounts of AA.

poppabk

Effect said:
This. This is my issue looking at this game. There are games that do look better. Is what Treyarch is showcasing in the game really the reason why it looks the way it does? I'm not sure I buy that. Would a different choice of colors have made a difference?
My guess is they just didn't have time to optimize the entire game to get it looking good. The bike chase in the video looks pretty impressive in the Wii version, while the car escape in cuba looks pretty terrible.

fabprems

Effect said:
The Treyarch Wii team just made 3 CoDs in 3 years, so I guess they didn't have a lot of time for polishing and pushing the game to the wii's limits...

fabprems said:
The Treyarch Wii team just made 3 CoDs in 3 years, so I guess they didn't have a lot of time for polishing and pushing the game to the wii's limits...

The biggest problem with the game is not how it looks since it looks and plays technically better than their previous COD Wii games, the biggest problem is the omission of content that has little to do with Wii horsepower. The most egregious being the lack of "five" and "dead ops arcade" leaving only a single map for all of the zombies mode.

Luigiv said:
Probably not. The Wii version has the exact same environmental Geometry as the HD versions (apparently) on top of large character count. That feat requires a lot of onscreen Polygons, which is much more to the Wii's strength then the PS2's or Xbox's. For comparison's sake, the Wii is capable of pushing something like 30 million triangle a second when pushed to it's limits. The PS2 and Xbox max out around 10 million.

Of course, I haven't played the game myself yet, so I'm taking fhywyzyyz's* word for it.

*or however the hell it's spelt. Worst username ever.

Where did you get this info? That's pretty interesting if it's true.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
happyfunball said:
The biggest problem with the game is not how it looks since it looks and plays technically better than their previous COD Wii games, the biggest problem is the omission of content that has little to do with Wii horsepower. The most egregious being the lack of "five" and "dead ops arcade" leaving only a single map for all of the zombies mode.

aren't the zombie maps unlockable?

EDarkness

Effect said:

I don't understand this fascination with the graphics, especially since this is obviously a low end version of the HD game where they tried to get as much out of it as they could. If people were so interested in the graphics then the option to get the HD versions is there and my guess is that is where most of the Black Ops players went anyway. The few Wii owners who bought this version are still getting a pretty decent game.

Top Bottom