• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Veal said:
Wow. That looked nothing like a psp game! I spied normal maps, volumetric fog, dof, a CRAZY particle effects system, large populations, advanced animation etc.. Looking really good and better than Reflex to my eyes.

There are no normal maps in that video.

Veal

EatChildren said:
There are no normal maps in that video.
The door leading out of the club looked rather normal mapped to me. It could be embm or something. It didn't look like pure geometry.

Effect

Torn on that video footage. Need to see a better resolution. For comparison sakes though here are GoldenEye 007 Wii and Modern Warfare Reflex's first missions. Granted both of those are in 480p and can be seen higher but I guess we can judge the effects in the game.

Though so far GoldenEye does it have it beat in the graphics department it seems. This is the first time I've look at MWR and GE back to back as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Effect said:
Torn on that video footage. Need to see a better resolution. For comparison sakes though here are GoldenEye 007 Wii and Modern Warfare Reflex's first missions. Granted both of those are in 480p and can be seen higher but I guess we can judge the effects in the game.

Though so far GoldenEye does it have it beat in the graphics department it seems. This is the first time I've look at MWR and GE back to back as well.

They're not even comparable in my opinion. GoldenEye isn't without its flaws, but it looks significantly more polished than Black Ops, concerning the Wii anyway. Which really shouldn't be surprising. All assets and world buidling in GoldenEye was built from the ground up for the system, strengths and limitations in mind. Black Ops is a downscaled port.

Effect

EatChildren said:
They're not even comparable in my opinion. GoldenEye isn't without its flaws, but it looks significantly more polished than Black Ops, concerning the Wii anyway. Which really shouldn't be surprising. All assets and world buidling in GoldenEye was built from the ground up for the system, strengths and limitations in mind. Black Ops is a downscaled port.

True. I was still wondering and assuming Black Ops would still end the end looking better. Especailly after the claim Treyarch made about how the game would leave you questioning if it was on the Wii. Don't see that claim being true in the end from what I'm seeing.

It does however explain I think why Activision embraced GoldenEye so much while at the same time showcasing the HD version of Black Ops and even giving the DS version some love. They know the Wii version of CoD sells and after the drama with MWR we all figured they'd be more open about the new game. Yet GE seemingly was the better product for the Wii. Yet I doubt they could go out and say that.

Curious as to how online works out though. How well the new voice system works. I also hope the new Allies system works well enough they include it in future games and others adapt it.

EDarkness

I think the game looks good and as long as it plays well, then I'll be happy. Good to hear the controls are much better than Goldeneye. I really don't like the way they implemented the pointer in that game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, CoD on Wii has always been for the multiplayer for me. Both, WaW and Reflex had really ugly areas with low framerate in SP, but that's direct consequence of trying to duplicate a game designed for more powerful hardware which already has to run it with some compromises (like sub HD). However, the controls and MP has always been good, and obviously received the bulk of the development time, improving each time... It even has better graphics than the SP, and this time doesn't look like that have changed. We get the best featured MP Wii fps, and that's many of us have been asking.

Goldeneye SP looks ace, but it runs at really low framerate in MP, which hurts a lot the pointers controls. Black Ops already looks like it runs a better framerate than Reflex, which was an improvement from WaW. And now we get Co-op Zombies too!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So does this support WiiSpeak?

I kind of want that headset, but I'm guessing you have to buy it online..? I don't think any retailers are selling it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Well it looks passable. I figured since I hadn't seen any media for this I would just go ahead and pick up the 360 version but now I'm not too sure.

On one hand, I know I'll prefer the controls on the Wii version. Plus it's 10 bucks cheaper and I don't pay for online play. Lucky for Wii, it's plugged in the most too.

On the other, the 360 version will look better and the game will undoubtedly have a very active online scene for some time.

I think I'll sit on it

madmook

Uh, Combat Training (meaning botplay) is in this, right? Tried it out, gaminggeek? What are the bot options and is it still an "online" mode or can it be played without internet?

Hiltz

I realize that Black Ops, as with all COD titles, are clearly aimed at the 360 and PS3 crowd, but Activision has once again failed to properly market the Wii version of the game. It's like MW: Reflex all over again.

People are still confused as to when the Wii version is coming out. Okay, at least I'm still confused. Plus, there's been zero previews for this version as well. It's understandable if Activision wants to delay the game's release so GoldenEye 007 doesn't potentially cannibalize its sales, but get your $hit together, Activision. Some Wii owners are looking forward to this game but you're counter-intuitive strategy isn't helping.

I'm still on the fence about which FPS game to get on the Wii this year (if any) - GoldenEye or Black-Ops.

Hiltz

luoapp said:
SP - 007
MP - COD
simple as that:D

It's still a tough choice for me. I haven't played a James Bond game since GoldenEye 007 on the N64. As for Call of Duty, I've never played any of them before.

I always play through single player mode first and find value in an FPS game's campaign mode and intend to play through it again multiple times (if it is good unlike The Conduit's). However, the real replay value will naturally come from the online multiplayer.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hiltz said:
It's still a tough choice for me. I haven't played a James Bond game since GoldenEye 007 on the N64. As for Call of Duty, I've never played any of them before.

I always play through single player mode first and find value in an FPS game's campaign mode and intend to play through it again multiple times (if it is good unlike The Conduit's). However, the real replay value will naturally come from the online multiplayer.

pick up CoD Reflex at a bargain price if you can also get DSE (just so you know how good eurocoom are at pushing the Wii)

For me, the six hour campaign of an FPS is the appetizer. So if the entree is the multi, then go for CoD. It'll probably have the bigger community and it seems like the better framerate.

Anyway, I'm off to the midnight release. I expect to be the only one picking up a Wii version.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
so on a more serious note the only footage we get of this game is from Gamingeek and a guy with a possible pirate copy of the game?

Bravo Kotick with this Wii advertising you are really spoiling us

jufonuk said:
so on a more serious note the only footage we get of this game is from Gamingeek and a guy with a possible pirate copy of the game?

Bravo Kotick with this Wii advertising you are really spoiling us
I'm posting from my iPhone. Waiting 15 minutes at the Gamestop for the employees to hand out the copies of the game.

There are about 50 people waiting already. I walked up and said I wanted a copy of the Wii version. Despite a display box right in front of him that had the Wii logo, the cashier asked if there was even a Wii version. Sigh.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Freezie KO said:
I'm posting from my iPhone. Waiting 15 minutes at the Gamestop for the employees to hand out the copies of the game.

There are about 50 people waiting already. I walked up and said I wanted a copy of the Wii version. Despite a display box right in front of him that had the Wii logo, the cashier asked if there was even a Wii version. Sigh.

facepalm.gif

my local gamestation has all PC/360/PS3 no Wii boxes out at all yaaay, why I ordered from Amazon UK which is in the process of shipping my order to me (will I get it today who knows:()

so UK seems to have the wii game coming out on time but no Head sets until later on woo great, I think Wii speak will work with the game but with Echo, as they worked with PDP to get the headbanger set working well on wii, but err none to be seen awoo,

MiniDitka

Damn! the midnight launch was crazy. I was told there was over 400 preorders and it looked like it, crowded as all hell. They had the BO Jeep there cranking out tunes and it was pretty cool. Should have some HQ gameplay vid up in about 10-15 minutes.

fabprems

Thanks everybody for the great videos and impressions.

Is there a review of the wii version anywhere on the internet ??
Activision don't give a shit, but I guess they are not the only ones...

Metroid

This probably has been asked before but can you control this with the CC?
After playing Goldeneye I would prefer to play it with a normal gamepad :D

that direct feed video actually looked way better than i was expecting....

EDIT: between this, epic mickey, sonic colours and the forthcoming zelda the wii is doing ok right now...?

RobbieNick

NinjaFusion said:
that direct feed video actually looked way better than i was expecting....

EDIT: between this, epic mickey, sonic colours and the forthcoming zelda the wii is doing ok right now...?

Hell, Wii's having a better November than the HD consoles!

Goldeneye
Sonic Colors (Rave reviews so far)
CoD Black Ops
DKC Returns
Epic Mickey

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Metroid said:
This probably has been asked before but can you control this with the CC?
After playing Goldeneye I would prefer to play it with a normal gamepad :D

yes CC was confirmed in the interview with the Black Ops Producer

Kenka

This looks dynamic and engaging. Graphics are satsifying. OK, it would be a good pic up for the Holidays.

Is this a must-buy game, so to speak, for someone who already has Reach and returned MW2 after a few months because he reached rank 70? How is the longevity of this different ot its predecessor? I saw an earlier video of it and the graphics look already better than MW2

gamingeek

Veal said:
Wow. That looked nothing like a psp game! I spied normal maps, volumetric fog, dof, a CRAZY particle effects system, large populations, advanced animation etc.. Looking really good and better than Reflex to my eyes.

Err..... no. Trust me here, no shaders whatsoever and the animation is the same as reflex. You do see a lot of on screen characters on the prison level breakout.

Effect said:
Is there infinite enemy respawning?

Infinite is a strong term, but yeah in the vietnam level it feels like it. Not so much in other levels nicely, in fact I think I might bump the difficulty level up.

The Vietnam level is everything I hate about COD in one level. It's linear and I mean really linear, with you following a trench tunnel, not even with as much room for gameplay as the trench level in WaW. The graphics are meh and when you have to climb this slope the framerate start sputtering. The framerate actually negates the smooth controls and makes everything a jittering struggle.

They also want you to defend a position for a limited period of time which I hate, I like being able to move freely and attack.
And then suprise! You have to destroy some tanks with a rocket launcher. It's a little more interesting because you can guide the rockets flight path in real time using the analog stick. But you are also being ferried about on a jeep so have no control as to where you go, so it's almost like a lightgun game segment.

The level after you rappel through a window and wow, it looked really nice with great colour contrast and fidelity, I was really enjoying it but then 5 minutes later the game froze the screen and repeated the same 3 seconds of dialogue on a loop. I was not pleased!

Anyway the level before vietnam you sneak onto this rocket base, well, the game sort of stages everything for you, it's not like Goldeneye where you would properly sneak.

The level is decent although there are a few difficult corridors with the same old move to point, to trigger next sequence or your AI actually doing something. Weapons feel really nice, they have this machine gun with only 20 bullets but it's rate of fire is really fast. And since you take damage when out of cover it's really useful and satisfying to pop out and smoke a few guys before ducking back for cover and reloading.

Freezie KO said:
Questions:

I'm really lazy. Can I just import the same numerical settings from my controls for Reflex? Or have they tweaked that, so the numbers are different?

Is dive-to-prone a button now? Or a combination? Are there any more techniques that actively take up button economy? Despite the amazing pointer controls, the Wiimote for Reflex was already low on buttons.

Multiplayer. Have you given it a shot? Is the framerate stable? Anything to report?

Not sure about importing numbers but honestly the controls in the game are near perfect, all I had to do was up the horizontal turn speed. I haven't spotted different pre-loaded defaults it all seems to have just been tuned to a great degree and all you have to do is sort of nudge it a little here and there.

The game handles crouching and lying down the same as the other Wii games, C button. But for some reason Black Ops doesn't have the little white man figure showing you what position you are in so often you have to just press the button to see if you are standing up or not. In terms of buttons it all feels great, I guess having jump on the UP position on d-pad isn't nice but you mostly just Z-button vault to get over stuff anyway. Still haven't tried multiplayer sorry.

EatChildren said:
Amazing job gamingeek. Off-screen CTR footage and you're doing a billion times better job than Activision.

My housemate's boyfriend is keen for the multi. Have you given it a whirl?

No, sorry. Might try it out today.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
gaminggeek none of your links work

Check the youtube links. Rapidshare only lets 10 people get it and megaupload nixed the video for some reason.

Right, I'm going to try some online stuff just for you guys, I don't usually play FPS online so I wont be able to answer all your questions, just give you a general feel for what I'm seeing.

gamingeek

Zombies is interesting. I haven't played LFD or zombies in COD as the Wii version of WaW didn't have it.

You are holed up in this large mansion type room with zombies breaking in. You start with a pistol, interestingly it's all points based. When you kill one of them you pick up points and headshots get you more. You then use those points to buy weapons and even to do stuff like open doors.

The zombies pretty much instantly kill you if they touch you though. Seems like it would be really fun in 4 player online and the great controls make headshots a breeze. They do say "Someone should turn the power on first" but there is no onscreen indicator for where the damn thing is, I guess I have to use points to open a door first.

BTW you just run up to something the screen then asks you onscreen "Do you want to unlock this door or buy this weapon" and you just press Z for yes. It's not intrusive at all.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:
Zombies is interesting. I haven't played LFD or zombies in COD as the Wii version of WaW didn't have it.

when i get my copy and a head set wanna play zombies online?

also wanna try out the online co-op mode

can you try the Zombie arcade cheat?

At the main menu, use the Right Analog-stick to look down at your hands and see you are locked up. Repeatedly press LT + RT to escape from the chair (unlocks the "Just Ask Me Nicely" secret achievement). After breaking free, move around to the area behind your chair to find an old computer terminal you can use. Type one of the following codes to access early unlockables and hidden features in the game:

type DOA in the computer

gamingeek

Okay played a free for all deathmatch online.

Smooth as butter, no framerate problems. Played this level set in one of those fake towns that the US used to test atomic bombs at. It was fairly ugly with poor textures.

Hey, I was pretty good, the controls make it easier to aim and more enjoyable. :D

I came into the match halfway through but I'm pretty sure I smoked most of them as they ran about like chickens while I camped out and popped out of cover to pick them off. Which was tough as they gave me a weapon with semi-automatic fire.

One thing I don't like is that when you are shot and lying on the ground you can still shoot with your pistol but it says on screen "hold Z for cowards way out" i.e suicide. But I use Z for camera lock so if I'm already holding down Z for camera lock, when I'm on the floor the game automatically takes me holding down Z for quitting.

Also, I think I was in a match with fryzxxzxxyf however you spell it. :lol

gamingeek

jufonuk said:
when i get my copy and a head set wanna play zombies online?

also wanna try out the online co-op mode

can you try the Zombie arcade cheat?

At the main menu, use the Right Analog-stick to look down at your hands and see you are locked up. Repeatedly press LT + RT to escape from the chair (unlocks the "Just Ask Me Nicely" secret achievement). After breaking free, move around to the area behind your chair to find an old computer terminal you can use. Type one of the following codes to access early unlockables and hidden features in the game:

type DOA in the computer

What does press LT and RT mean on Wii? Waggle chuk and mote intensively? :lol

I can't do the cheat unless you know how to do it on Wii.

I'm useless with all the menus online, I probably wouldn't even be able to connect with you.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:
What does press LT and RT mean on Wii? Waggle chuk and mote intensively? :lol

I can't do the cheat unless you know how to do it on Wii.

I'm useless with all the menus online, I probably wouldn't even be able to connect with you.

or I am guessing plug in the CCPro

Hey, I got the game and played a few levels on the singleplayer. I have NOT tried the multi yet.

Quick Thoughts:

Control settings are identical, if not almost identical. I copied my meticulously tweaked settings from Reflex, and everything fits like a glove. These are the amazing FPS controls that I know and love (and why I bought the game).

The only control differences are: (1) you are given a choice of aiming styles between W@W (described as quicker) or MW:Reflex (described as more stable) and (2) the cursor sensitivity now explicitly says that if you go over the halfway point then your cursor may jitter. For (1), I had no idea what that meant, so I went with the Reflex setting. For (2), my Reflex cursor setting was a 30 and I changed it to the halfway setting, which is a 20. The cursor responds perfectly.

Dive to prone is done by running and then hitting the stance change button.

Graphically, the game looks good. Nothing looks as atrocious as that one multiplayer level that was aptly described as looking "unfinished." I don't know the tech behind anything, but it looks like Reflex.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of framerate drops and slowdown when things get hectic. I'm hoping this isn't the case in multi because the slowdown mostly occurs when there are huge explosions and 20 guys crammed onto the screen.

I did run into one glitch. On the Vietnam stage, a turret gun would not move like it was supposed to. One time when I'd pick it up, it would have a limited range of motion as if cut off by invisible walls. Then I'd drop it, and pick it up again, and it'd have a different range of motion, but still limited. This was on the very busy Vietnam stage.

So far the gameplay is like Reflex's campaign, for better or worse. That is to say that when things are clicking on all cylinders, then it's a lot of fun. The set pieces are huge and awesome. It's still very trial-and-error, though, so that gets frustrating.

One mission in particular, I simply didn't even know what to do, and kept dying until accidentally triggering the next "checkpoint." Throw in infinitely respawning villains with friendlies that look just like your enemies, and it's not the best game design. Still, there is fun to be had, but truthfully, I see the singleplayer as just a way to warm into the new weapons and techniques.

If the multiplayer holds up, this looks like a very solid sequel to Reflex. If you liked that, then you'll like this.

Top Bottom