• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

scitek

Lone_Prodigy said:
gamingeek > Activision

His cell phone plan probably costs more than Activision's marketing budget for this game.

David Bowie infiltrates again! Black Ops Wii = BOWii :O

jacksrb

@gamingeek
Again, thanks for doing Activision's job.

Questions on the multi (which you may not have played):
- Are weapon emblems in (not clan tags)?
- How the heck does the Allies system work (in addition to friend codes)?
- What are the tiered buy-ins for wager matches?

rpmurphy

So this is what is comes down to. I doubt Activision is very happy with the first media reveals. :lol

Graphics don't appear too bad considering how much more content is in it. If the framerate holds up well I'm okay with this.

GC|Simon

Thanks for those first impressions gamingeek. The game looks good to me.

However, this shit is getting hilarious.

Am I famous now?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
MarshMellow96 said:
I'm going to post in this thread so I become famous.

'I think it looks like a Playstation 1 game'

Beat that people!

'Looks like something that could be achieved with the FX chip, given some concessions.'

Disguises

Damn, no game or notification of failed delivery on returning home, so I'll have it tomorrow evening at the earliest :(. Quite excited to play it actually. Pretty amazed that DLC exists for the game - maybe we can have the WaW maps now, pwease Treyarch?

And LOL at GamingGeek's bad impressions travelling the internet. It's probably a good time for the arrival of an official trailer or at least some screenshots. Actually, it's been a good time for the past few months :/

Questions for GamingGeek:
- Any option in the menu to access this "CoD shop" for DLC yet?
- Any motion controls? Is it just nunchuk shake for reload or are there quick time events or other motion controls?
- Tried online yet? What's the system like? Friend codes? Unique name?
More questions when they wander into my mind :)

Just hoping you're having fun with the game now :lol

gamingeek

New video is uploading now, should be ready in 6 minutes.

Played more. The above ground prison assault is fun, you even get to ride a motorbike which is a little showy and staged but fun nonetheless.

Frame rate was 90% stable with a little chop here and there but nothing too bad. Lots of stuff going on. Character models seem about the same quality as REFLEX. In fact, yeah, the game looks around about the same as REFLEX from what I can see so far.

Aiming is just fantastic the ADS in particular feels about as responsive as it does in Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

Also it seems like Treyarch has amended the balance of the traditional COD flow. I have barely come across any grenade spamming or cheap deaths and it seems like you have a bigger lifebar and can take a lot more punishment compared to past games. Which IMO is a good thing.

I started the third level, which is uploading now as video.

Yeah, so far, so good. I guess I was just expecting Treyarch to better their REFLEX visuals, when is seems like they've just plateaued at this level.

There was some fun stuff like guys fully kitted out in Jack Bauer style heavy armour and a huge minigun which you could use to savage the enemy. I don't like the FMV cutscenes which seem a little too compressed in parts.

gamingeek said:
New video is uploading now, should be ready in 6 minutes.

Played more. The above ground prison assault is fun, you even get to ride a motorbike which is a little showy and staged but fun nonetheless.

Frame rate was 90% stable with a little chop here and there but nothing too bad. Lots of stuff going on. Character models seem about the same quality as REFLEX. In fact, yeah, the game looks around about the same as REFLEX from what I can see so far.

Aiming is just fantastic the ADS in particular feels about as responsive as it does in Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

Also it seems like Treyarch has amended the balance of the traditional COD flow. I have barely come across any grenade spamming or cheap deaths and it seems like you have a bigger lifebar and can take a lot more punishment compared to past games. Which IMO is a good thing.

I started the third level, which is uploading now as video.

Yeah, so far, so good. I guess I was just expecting Treyarch to better their REFLEX visuals, when is seems like they've just plateaued at this level.

There was some fun stuff like guys fully kitted out in Jack Bauer style heavy armour and a huge minigun which you could use to savage the enemy. I don't like the FMV cutscenes which seem a little too compressed in parts.

Is that Kotick on geek's PC? :lol

Good impressions nonetheless! :D

gamingeek

Disguises said:
Questions for GamingGeek:
- Any option in the menu to access this "CoD shop" for DLC yet?
- Any motion controls? Is it just nunchuk shake for reload or are there quick time events or other motion controls?
- Tried online yet? What's the system like? Friend codes? Unique name?
More questions when they wander into my mind :)

Just hoping you're having fun with the game now :lol

I haven't seen any COD shop or download option but I haven't really be looking for it. I'll check back and try and get back to you.

Nunchuk shake reloads the weapon but you can change between button layouts so you don't have to waggle the chuk if you don't want to.

jacksrb said:
@gamingeek
Again, thanks for doing Activision's job.

Questions on the multi (which you may not have played):
- Are weapon emblems in (not clan tags)?
- How the heck does the Allies system work (in addition to friend codes)?
- What are the tiered buy-ins for wager matches?

I don't really play online in these games, I wouldn't know how to answer those questions sorry.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
so out of this and goldeneye which one comes out on top?

for
graphics

level design

music

effects

controls

most importantly playability

I'm just waiting for Activision to make a copyright claim on the Youtube videos.

Oh wait that would mean they actually paid attention to the Wii version. Never mind!

Veal

Lone_Prodigy said:
I'm just waiting for Activision to make a copyright claim on the Youtube videos.

Oh wait that would mean they actually paid attention to the Wii version. Never mind!
I think they may have on the rapidshare and megaupload vids. I can't access them!:lol

gamingeek

jufonuk said:
so out of this and goldeneye which one comes out on top?

for
graphics

level design

music

effects

controls

most importantly playability

Goldeneye wins on everything but controls so far, but to be fair COD is trying to do much more in terms of the size of environments and the number of NPCs on screen at once.

Goldeneye is custom made for the wii and it shows, but it also has some spotty frame rate issues at times. Personally the level design on Goldeneye is better than anything I have played in any of the 5 COD games I have played so far. And the AI is much better too.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:
Goldeneye wins on everything but controls so far, but to be fair COD is trying to do much more in terms of the size of environments and the number of NPCs on screen at once.

Goldeneye is custom made for the wii and it shows, but it also has some spotty frame rate issues at times. Personally the level design on Goldeneye is better than anything I have played in any of the 5 COD games I have played so far. And the AI is much better too.

cool well hopefully I get to play both soon if they ever get here, also I got a feeling that online Multiplayer CoD will trump that but i was kinda thinking/hoping GE would have the better single player experience either way if they both end up being top notch and bring different elements to the table that show what works on wii then all the better :D

EDIT: maybe they could port the next CoD game over using eurocom to hanlde the graphics seeing as DSE and goldeye both look really good

scitek

gamingeek said:

The screen-lock and weapon pickup can be changed from the same button. CoD wins by default.

gamingeek

Yeah the controls are really great here, they feel very fluid, responsive and accurate. I mean I spent about 2 minutes twiddling with it and it was perfect.

Disguises

Glad to see that your impressions are getting better the more you play the game. Not played Goldeneye yet, so I can't perceive the better than/worse than comments, but hoping both play well.

[Sorry, in a pretty shitty mood, :lol ]

Edit:
luoapp said:
Does BO wii have dedicated server as well?
As well as PC? Nope.

Disguises said:
At least someones putting in more effort than Activision to let people know about this game. Plus not everyone has a shitload of money to spend on things like huge 1080p LCD TV's and video recorders.

QFT.

Disguises said:
Glad to see that your impressions are getting better the more you play the game. Not played Goldeneye yet, so I can't perceive the better than/worse than comments, but hoping both play well

Yeah me too. I'm definitely getting Goldeneye (needs me some Bond - years since EoN), but the comments are tempting me to double dip in Jan..

gamingeek

Digital-Hero said:
Still playing on a 14 inch CRT?
Try the Hauppaugge 1212 for capturing.

[EDIT: Sorry, not trying to be dick]

Actually I have a 50" HDTV and a 37" HDTV and another 20" HDTV upstairs.

I was sick of what HDTV scaling does to an SD image so I actually bought a SDTV to play Wii how it should be with no artificially created jaggies, from bad scaling.

And I also specifically bought a CRT rather than an LCD because it gives a smoother picture. It's honestly looks better than Wii does on any other HDTV I've tried it on.

I'm using an android phone 25 frames per second video capture here, all the jaggies you see in the vids are caused by the phone capture and the motion smearing and frame rate is also largely due to the cell phone capturing.

MYE

My Wii looks alot better on my Bravia than it did on my widescreen CRT (Resident Evil 4 excluded). I actually think it looks very good on it.

Got lucky i guess. Had a Samsung HDTV before and it looked iffy.

jacksrb

Glad to see the blood when you die looks much more next gen compared to Reflex.

Not that I can really judge it until I see it, but if it was a decision between framerate and textures, I choose framerate.

Surprised we don't have other folks uploading vids, especially of the online multi.

Can't wait!

dwu8991

Banned
I though that reflex looked quite good on the 46 Panasonic plasma. It depends how close you are from the screen I guess, but I found the graphics on par with other Nintendo titles like Zelda, Metroid and Mario Galaxy.

I think blacks ops graphics will be a major improvement on reflex. The youtube videos being shown right doesn't do the game any justice at all, but you can tell black ops has much better colour and contrast than reflex has.

Ashodin

Here's a picture of the SICK controller they're releasing for it. Just came in today!

t5fyaf.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amazing job gamingeek. Off-screen CTR footage and you're doing a billion times better job than Activision.

My housemate's boyfriend is keen for the multi. Have you given it a whirl?

Thanks for the impressions, gamingeek!

Questions:

I'm really lazy. Can I just import the same numerical settings from my controls for Reflex? Or have they tweaked that, so the numbers are different?

Is dive-to-prone a button now? Or a combination? Are there any more techniques that actively take up button economy? Despite the amazing pointer controls, the Wiimote for Reflex was already low on buttons.

Multiplayer. Have you given it a shot? Is the framerate stable? Anything to report?

luoapp

Very curious to see how the classic controller works comparing to the wiimote. Let's just settle this once for all:lol

Top Bottom