• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops Wii | Information and Hype Thread [Up: Videos/Impressions Start p.257]

Ydahs

MiniDitka said:
While the game looks decent, does anyone else think it looks sort of... incomplete? I mean, the environments themselves look complete, but there's a lack of lighting and effects in places where there should have probably been. Looks to be lacking the polish you'd expect when compared it to the other CoD Wii games.

Not surprised, considering we've seen nothing until AFTER the release.

(sorry for the double post, but in case someone wants impressions for the new page)

Hey, I got the game and played a few levels on the singleplayer. I have NOT tried the multi yet.

Quick Thoughts:

Control settings are identical, if not almost identical. I copied my meticulously tweaked settings from Reflex, and everything fits like a glove. These are the amazing FPS controls that I know and love (and why I bought the game).

The only control differences are: (1) you are given a choice of aiming styles between W@W (described as quicker) or MW:Reflex (described as more stable) and (2) the cursor sensitivity now explicitly says that if you go over the halfway point then your cursor may jitter. For (1), I had no idea what that meant, so I went with the Reflex setting. For (2), my Reflex cursor setting was a 30 and I changed it to the halfway setting, which is a 20. The cursor responds perfectly.

Dive to prone is done by running and then hitting the stance change button.

Graphically, the game looks good. Nothing looks as atrocious as that one multiplayer level that was aptly described as looking "unfinished." I don't know the tech behind anything, but it looks like Reflex.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of framerate drops and slowdown when things get hectic. I'm hoping this isn't the case in multi because the slowdown mostly occurs when there are huge explosions and 20 guys crammed onto the screen.

I did run into one glitch. On the Vietnam stage, a turret gun would not move like it was supposed to. One time when I'd pick it up, it would have a limited range of motion as if cut off by invisible walls. Then I'd drop it, and pick it up again, and it'd have a different range of motion, but still limited. This was on the very busy Vietnam stage.

So far the gameplay is like Reflex's campaign, for better or worse. That is to say that when things are clicking on all cylinders, then it's a lot of fun. The set pieces are huge and awesome. It's still very trial-and-error, though, so that gets frustrating.

One mission in particular, I simply didn't even know what to do, and kept dying until accidentally triggering the next "checkpoint." Throw in infinitely respawning villains with friendlies that look just like your enemies, and it's not the best game design. Still, there is fun to be had, but truthfully, I see the singleplayer as just a way to warm into the new weapons and techniques.

If the multiplayer holds up, this looks like a very solid sequel to Reflex. If you liked that, then you'll like this.

gamingeek

MiniDitka said:

Thanks.

I hope you guys can see what I mean about the texture quality in that video whenever you get close up to something. For instance pause the video when the character looks down just as he is about to get on the zipline; or look at the textures on the rocks. It's just that level and Vietnam which seem bad so far, vietnam level does have framerate problems though.

The game can look very nice in other parts, like the prison breakout or the assault on the rocket base etc.

insin

Neo Member
Have they fixed the leaning controls? I've been loving Goldeneye's leaning which is only active in ADS and uses the current angle of the Nunchuck as your zero point when you go into ADS.

Not that it'll really matter, as this no doubt lacks the patrol/alert states and permanently available silent weapon which opens up Goldeneye for sneaking fun in single player, but it would at least make leaning useful in multiplayer, as it was only good for accidentally making you run with the gait and speed of someone with broken ribs in Reflex.

gamingeek

Oh shite, on the same level the game crashed again. The one straight after the Vietnam trenches.

Screen froze, controller started vibrating incesscently and a high pitched noise came out of the TV.

If this level keeps doing this, I wont be able to progress further into the game as it will keep crashing. And because it crashes you can't save and quit and start again from the checkpoint. You have to hold down the Wii power button to switch the system off till the power light is red.

Disguises

gamingeek said:
Oh shite, on the same level the game crashed again. The one straight after the Vietnam trenches.

Screen froze, controller started vibrating incesscently and a high pitched noise came out of the TV.

If this level keeps doing this, I wont be able to progress further into the game as it will keep crashing. And because it crashes you can't save and quit and start again from the checkpoint. You have to hold down the Wii power button to switch the system off till the power light is red.
Errr....this doesn't sound fun. Hope it doesn't happen again.

gamingeek

Okay it didn't freeze again and the game does auto-save when you hit a checkpoint so you don't have to save and quit thankfully.

A shame that this level froze twice as it is one of the better levels.

Black Ops also interupts the levels with these cutscenes of the interrogation so you loose that feeling of playing one big, continuous level.

Disguises

So the things missing in this version that the HD versions have are:

- Theatre mode
- Killcams
- Valkyrie missile killstreak
- Chopper gunner killstreak
- Emblems
- Lack of 60fps (30 instead)

Anything else?

Edit:

- 10 Person online multiplayer maximum

MYE

Disguises said:

- Theatre mode
- Killcams
- Emblems

Anything else?

AGAIN :lol

Thats just fucking lazy. Some of those are pretty pathetic

fabprems

Disguises said:

- Theatre mode
- Killcams
Killcams were always part of the fun in the CoD series, that's a shame...

Disguises said:
technical issues I guess...

Disguises said:
- Emblems
don't care...

i just played the ps3 version, and i think the Wii version looks pretty decent actually.
I wish i could use the move controller in the ps3 version..... f'ing dual analog.

Guy in the video was not playing on veteran though :p Goddamn, if you stick your head out you are dead.

rpmurphy

Camera spike and gunship (naturally, since chopper gunner is out) are also said to be missing. However, info on these things have been rather sparse so far, and no one has yet done a video tour of player customizations...

EDIT:
More MP footage (Cracked): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCnSlgtqfVg
Guy here has fine control settings.

Disguises said:

- Theatre mode
- Killcams
- Emblems

Anything else?
Other than the 60fps, what's the reasoning behind not having any of those things?

I mean, even the DS can handle custom emblems (see Diddy Kong Racing DS and Mario Kart DS), both online and off.

Anony

rpmurphy said:
Camera spike and gunship (naturally, since chopper gunner is out) are also said to be missing. However, info on these things have been rather sparse so far, and no one has yet done a video tour of player customizations...

EDIT:
More MP footage (Cracked): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCnSlgtqfVg
Guy here has fine control settings.

look how horizontal the movement are, i think he's usual dual analog not the wiimote

he also says there's a update on the disc

gamingeek

Ashes1396 said:
oh man. Do I got be that guy. The guy that talks about the visuals.... :(

edit: review request... if you write a review on gaf.. please could you go into depth on control impressions... I'm still interested in this a bit...

There's not much to say on controls, as they all seem to work great. The default turning is too slow on the horizontal axis so you increase that a little.

The gesture sensitivity for reloading with the nunchuk is a little low so I turned it up so I can quick snap reload.

Errr, sometimes the game asks you to bash the action button repeatedly to hold back an enemy NPC who has grabbed your gun and is tussling with you. I hate that, in previous games you just press Z once to knock away a dog or japanese kamikaze guy.

The aim down sights is where the real improvement comes. The way the dead zone and the transition to movement at the corners of the screen work tremendously well. There is a full screen camera lock so you can aim like a lightgun game, but since the ADS is so naturally smooth and accurate, you barely have to use it.

The ADS seems to have a very stable dead zone and you can move your sights very quickly around the screen without your viewpoint getting messed up. At the outer edges of the screen you can nudge the cursor to the side by a couple inches. The only problem I had was with the AK47 with the red sights attached as the gun took up half the screen so you had to almost point lower just to see where they were shooting you from.

Um, using the wii remote to use mounted guns on the other hand isn't very good, for some reason they made it very floaty like trying to aim a rifle whilst standing on a boat deck, on the rocking waves of the sea.

The sniper weapons work as well as REFLEX. They aren't as accurate as normal ADS, they put a slight sway and a slight delay so the sniping isn't (too) easy. But that is a very deliberate thing for game balance and it works well.

Grenades are mapped to the plus and minus buttons. You seem to be able to run for longer without having to re-initiate the move to run long distances.

As with reflex you hold down the d-pad left and move the stick to one of 4 directions to switch between night vision, gun grenades, air support or C4 charges.

Anony

saw GT's review of the ps360 version
it seems like there an unlockable minigame which is a topdown shooter, highly doubt that's gonna make it in the wii verison

Ashes

Banned
gamingeek said:
There's not much to say on controls, as they all seem to work great. The default turning is too slow on the horizontal axis so you increase that a little.

The gesture sensitivity for reloading with the nunchuk is a little low so I turned it up so I can quick snap reload.

Errr, sometimes the game asks you to bash the action button repeatedly to hold back an enemy NPC who has grabbed your gun and is tussling with you. I hate that, in previous games you just press Z once to knock away a dog or japanese kamikaze guy.

The aim down sights is where the real improvement comes. The way the dead zone and the transition to movement at the corners of the screen work tremendously well. There is a full screen camera lock so you can aim like a lightgun game, but since the ADS is so naturally smooth and accurate, you barely have to use it.

The ADS seems to have a very stable dead zone and you can move your sights very quickly around the screen without your viewpoint getting messed up. At the outer edges of the screen you can nudge the cursor to the side by a couple inches. The only problem I had was with the AK47 with the red sights attached as the gun took up half the screen so you had to almost point lower just to see where they were shooting you from.

Um, using the wii remote to use mounted guns on the other hand isn't very good, for some reason they made it very floaty like trying to aim a rifle whilst standing on a boat deck, on the rocking waves of the sea.

The sniper weapons work as well as REFLEX. They aren't as accurate as normal ADS, they put a slight sway and a slight delay so the sniping isn't (too) easy. But that is a very deliberate thing for game balance and it works well.

Grenades are mapped to the plus and minus buttons. You seem to be able to run for longer without having to re-initiate the move to run long distances.

As with reflex you hold down the d-pad left and move the stick to one of 4 directions to switch between night vision, gun grenades, air support or C4 charges.

A+ on detail. cheers for that.

gamingeek

This is from the 1up review of the HD versions.

there's a fantastic prison break that begins unlike any other COD -- but sadly ends with you unloading a minigun on legions of badguys followed by an on-rails car chase. And this pattern of starting novel and different only to end as a typical COD shooting gallery shows up a little too frequently.

The gunplay remains the mostly familiar, "use the Left trigger to quickly snap-to and aim-at your foe and tap the Right trigger to shoot." In fact, at times, it almost feels as though Black Ops is tuned to be a bit easier than Modern Warfare -- among other things, the snap-to/auto-aim feels faster and the the hitboxes on enemies feel a bit larger. Some rooms in Black Ops can be finished by just alternating between Left/Right triggers without much thought. True, strong gunplay is a signature of the franchise, but now that we're in the seventh installment, these levels of shooting foes who either rush at you or toss grenades a-plenty, get tiresome. In fact, this sense of "COD deja vu" hits harder when you run into an honest-to-goodness "infinitely respawning enemies" moment in the campaign. On top of that, while the game usually stays at a steady 60 frames-per-second, I noticed a few significant framerate drops (mostly in missions during the Vietnam War), which still stands out despite Black Ops' odd propensity for numerous slow-motion sequences.

I agree with all of that.

So the HD versions have the same frame stutter in the vietnam trenches.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ydahs said:
While the game looks decent, does anyone else think it looks sort of... incomplete? I mean, the environments themselves look complete, but there's a lack of lighting and effects in places where there should have probably been. Looks to be lacking the polish you'd expect when compared it to the other CoD Wii games.

Not surprised, considering we've seen nothing until AFTER the release.
Yeah, it looks pretty bad. Were these environments basically ported from the PS3/360 release? Perhaps, in an attempt to share assets, they ended up with something that looks incomplete. The HD maps were made with the expectation of a certain type of lighting which the engine is capable of.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So is the Wii version exactly the same storyline onlibe etc? If so I cant play it. As I bought it for the kid on Chirstmas if it's different I can play it now!!

Also would anyone recommend buying a Wii for an 8 year old right now? Is there enough GOOD games unique to Wii to justify the purchase over him having a ps3 now?

Veal

EatChildren said:
There are no normal maps in that video.
Yeah you're right! Guess I'm a bit too optimistic with all of the good stuff coming out for Wii as of late :D

Also, is that fucking ICE CUBE as one of the voices?!

fabprems

Dorfdad said:
So is the Wii version exactly the same storyline onlibe etc? If so I cant play it. As I bought it for the kid on Chirstmas if it's different I can play it now!!

Also would anyone recommend buying a Wii for an 8 year old right now? Is there enough GOOD games unique to Wii to justify the purchase over him having a ps3 now?

It's the same apparently...

For your recommandations, go to this thread, they will answer to your question :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396775

later

Dorfdad said:

I don't think anyone can give you any good advice if you're buying mature rated games for an 8 year old.. (assuming this is the same kid you are referring to in your first sentence.. :))

MYE

Dorfdad said:

Yes.

Do him a favor and have him grow up on Mario and Zelda instead of Killzone and Gearz of Duty: Reach.

He'l thank you later :)

Dorfdad

Gold Member
MYE said:
Yes.

Do him a favor and have him grow up on Mario and Zelda instead of Killzone and Gearz of Duty: Reach.

He'l thank you later :)

thanks for the advice you are right! As far as new titles is there a future for the Wii or is it over for good exclusives?

MYE

Dorfdad said:
thanks for the advice you are right! As far as new titles is there a future for the Wii or is it over for good exclusives?

Zelda, Dragon Quest, Donkey Kong, Epic Mickey, and Kirby if you're in Europe.

And i'm sure nintendo is working on more stuff for 2011.

later

This has probably already been answered, but does this game have offline co-op? Split screen multiplayer (online)?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Anony said:
look how horizontal the movement are, i think he's usual dual analog not the wiimote

he also says there's a update on the disc

No, that's when someone who knows how to control plays with pointer aiming. Is... fast.

MiniDitka said:
One last vid before I take a nap.

Gameplay 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwYmMj1YZCg

Did you upload the Force Unleashed 2 Wii videos too? Appreciate it. It's kind of depressing when user videos come out before actual reviews.

later said:
This has probably already been answered, but does this game have offline co-op? Split screen multiplayer (online)?

I've been wondering about this too. I think it'll be over-the-shoulder co-op (like Reflex and WaW), and online multiplayer will likely be single-player only (like Goldeneye).

Top Bottom