• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghost on Wii U official, ported by Treyarch, 5 other Activision titles too

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The problem with the move is drift. This doesn't happen with IR. What's so much better about the move for FPS?
The primary improvement for me is the lack of an IR field. With the Wii-mote, you are limited in your choice of position while playing as the sensor bar must be able to read your inputs. If you move too far in one direction the system will lose track of your controller. The way it handles requisition of the remote when returning to the IR field is jarring.

That's really the main thing for me. I ran into this problem constantly with the Wii-mote to the point where I avoid playing certain games as a result of the inconvenience. I'm not someone who can sit in one position for long periods of time so managing the the IR system becomes a frustrating. The Move simply does not suffer from this.

The fact that the Move is not directly tied to a physical point on the controller also allows for an additional layer of tweaking allowing for more comfortable play.

The Wii-mote Plus could likely handle much of this as well but most cursor based shooters insist on using IR which I simply don't enjoy using. I hate the IR sensor bar. It has its pluses but it does not suit me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dark10x does have a point about potential benefits of Move's technology but it's heavily dependent on personal preference.

With IR, you have a mechanical lock on how the cursor behaves and it can always be depended upon to behave the same way. There's no ambiguity there. The tradeoff is that you have to position yourself physically to use the interface in a certain way.

For myself personally, I'll take IR because I want that predictability in input interpretation when it comes to the hand-eye coordination of a cursor on the screen - I want a "laser pointer" connecting my hand to the screen.

Motion+ relative aiming used in a few games like Skyward Sword also has its benefits, especially since those games aren't really first person shooters. Like Move however it does ask that you go with its idiosyncrasies such as learning how to calibrate it rather than relying on it always behaving the same way when you point it at the screen relative to where you're sitting.

wsippel

Banned
The primary improvement for me is the lack of an IR field. With the Wii-mote, you are limited in your choice of position while playing as the sensor bar must be able to read your inputs. If you move too far in one direction the system will lose track of your controller. The way it handles requisition of the remote when returning to the IR field is jarring.

That's really the main thing for me. I ran into this problem constantly with the Wii-mote to the point where I avoid playing certain games as a result of the inconvenience. I'm not someone who can sit in one position for long periods of time so managing the the IR system becomes a frustrating. The Move simply does not suffer from this.

The fact that the Move is not directly tied to a physical point on the controller also allows for an additional layer of tweaking allowing for more comfortable play.

The Wii-mote Plus could likely handle much of this as well but most cursor based shooters insist on using IR which I simply don't enjoy using. I hate the IR sensor bar. It has its pluses but it does not suit me.
Some Wii games actually used the pointer and Motion+ in tandem. Reginleiv did, and I believe Red Steel 2 did as well for example.

Maxrunner

I've yet to play anything better then red steel 2 regarding motion pointer. The only move experience i had was very shacky...

EDarkness

Some Wii games actually used the pointer and Motion+ in tandem. Reginleiv did, and I believe Red Steel 2 did as well for example.

Exactly. Either way, I haven't found a case where the move is better than a remote and nunchuck. Especially motion plus. Oh, and didn't Skyward sword as well?

O_Be_1

Neo Member
Still debating whether I'm going to get this or Splinter Cell Blacklist for my Wii U. Interested in seeing Wii U, PS4 COD comparison videos.

Roo

the Move is actually much better for FPS than the Wii-mote ever was. Killzone 3 with Move is absolutely sublime.

iu266KvEBae3c.gif

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

That's a personal problem related to lack of practice. You learn to keep your wiimote in the zone, and is more accurate and much more reliable than Move. While I don't doubt that you have problems with keeping the wiimote pointed at the sensor bar, is hardly a problem that can't be solved to a degree that is not a problem at all one you get used to the scheme.

Effect

Like said doesn't really mean this will happen in the end. Nuketown was promised as well and then taken away a few days before release of Black Ops 2.

I have to agree with others. Just because certain games are coming out on the Wii doesn't mean one should buy them to simply buy them. To show support? That's a dumb idea. That doesn't benefit you as a customer in anyway. The actual interest has to be there first. Games are NOT cheap!!! So even if one is interested doesn't mean they can afford to buy it or everything they want during the first week or first month. Perhaps other games sit higher on their desire list.

I know personally I am glad this game is coming. I believe there is a fan base for first person shooters on Nintendo hardware. It could be larger if it was nurtured more but it's there in the face of being an after thought by developers and publishers. However I can't jump for joy at this for a few reasons. One I have Call of Duty fatigue after playing CoD4, MW2, MW3, BO1, and BO2. I've grown more and more frustrated with competitive shooter multiplayer. Which is why I'm curious to find out what the Zombies/Survival type mode is going to be like. Even then my purchase is an if, especially because there are other games I want to play more. Some Nintendo developed and others from other developers/publishers.

prag16

Banned
Like said doesn't really mean this will happen in the end. Nuketown was promised as well and then taken away a few days before release of Black Ops 2.

I have to agree with others. Just because certain games are coming out on the Wii doesn't mean one should buy them to simply buy them. To show support? That's a dumb idea. That doesn't benefit you as a customer in anyway. The actual interest has to be there first. Games are NOT cheap!!! So even if one is interested doesn't mean they can afford to buy it or everything they want during the first week or first month. Perhaps other games sit higher on their desire list.

I know personally I am glad this game is coming. I believe there is a fan base for first person shooters on Nintendo hardware. It could be larger if it was nurtured more but it's there in the face of being an after thought by developers and publishers. However I can't jump for joy at this for a few reasons. One I have Call of Duty fatigue after playing CoD4, MW2, MW3, BO1, and BO2. I've grown more and more frustrated with competitive shooter multiplayer. Which is why I'm curious to find out what the Zombies/Survival type mode is going to be like. Even then my purchase is an if, especially because there are other games I want to play more. Some Nintendo developed and others from other developers/publishers.

I don't think many people are saying people should buy games they don't want just to "show support".

I think the argument is more like "all else being equal (or close to equal), buy the Wii U version to show support".

I hear you though, on the frustration of competitive shooter multiplayer. Too many variables, only ONE of which is skill.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's a personal problem related to lack of practice. You learn to keep your wiimote in the zone, and is more accurate and much more reliable than Move. While I don't doubt that you have problems with keeping the wiimote pointed at the sensor bar, is hardly a problem that can't be solved to a degree that is not a problem at all one you get used to the scheme.
Fair enough, but I tried for years and I just don't find it comfortable and I still dislike the reaction to moving outside of the IR field.

It's not a problem of lack of practice in so much as I actually have no problems using it...I just find the concessions I have to make in order to play well not worthwhile. The Move experience was much more comfortable and the implementation of controls in Killzone 3 was better than any other pointer based game I've played to date. Have you tried it? It's really good.

Fair enough, but I tried for years and I just don't find it comfortable and I still dislike the reaction to moving outside of the IR field.

It's not a problem of lack of practice in so much as I actually have no problems using it...I just find the concessions I have to make in order to play well not worthwhile. The Move experience was much more comfortable and the implementation of controls in Killzone 3 was better than any other pointer based game I've played to date. Have you tried it? It's really good.

It is good, but it still has the problems that are innate to gyro based aiming. Drift and momentum are making it slower, but in turns it's actually more stable than IR aiming.

Having played pretty much every Wii FPS and KZ3/Goldeneye Reloaded with Move I still would choose IR simply for it's much faster reaction time, and higher sensitivity. That is personal preference though. I like the twitchier controls. In KZ 3 the slower aiming actually makes sense as the whole game isn't nearly as fast as other shooters, but in Goldeneye it really shows a huge disadvantage.

The best pointer controls however are in Red STeel 2 as they actually use Motion PLus as well as IR aiming, so you have the stability of gyro aiming as well as the high sensitivity and reaction time of IR aiming. It also completely eliminates the IR FOV seamlessly. Ubisoft did an outstanding job with the controls in RS2. Too bad it completely bombed.

If Treyarch would support this method in Ghost I'd be in heaven.

Mlatador

Banned
Wii remote support: check

Off TV play: Check

Free online: Check

Treyarch porting: Check

That's all I need to buy this version of Call of Duty. The weirdest part is the way this imminent announcement was made. Too late and with Treayarch behind the wheel of the Wii U port, what's the problem with infinity ward and Nintendo consoles anyway.

To be honest, I don't think this announcement was made "too late"! The game is still month and month away.

Mlatador

Banned

I think you just haven't configured you're IR pointer controls. In most IR FPS I played the default deadzone was huge, like 60 or 70 percent of the whole screen. Therefore, in order to turn your character you had to go the very end of this invisible deadzone with your pointer, which not only resulted in slower turning speed but also required more hand/arm movement.

The deadzones I use are only 15 or 20 % of the screen, which I found to be a good compromise between turning speed/camera control and precision (for headshots or aiming at certain other parts of the enemies body).

If you do it lke that, you don't have to move "too far in one direction [so that] the system will lose track of your controller". That never happend to me.

And even if, Motion Plus allows you to move your cursor outside of the TV and back without loosing track (but like I said, that is actually not needed).

Follow this advice, and you won't have any problems:
There are only 2 things you need to consider:

- configure the settings (deadzone, turning speed, sensitivity) to your own needs

- practise a couple of matches with it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, (good) Wii-mote implementations are better from what i can tell. Move require bigger gestures and the drift can be a mess to deal with.

v1oz

If you can muster enough discipline to sit in front of a computer desk for an hour (either at work or playing mouse+keyboard games at home), then you can definitely point a wiimote at a TV for extended periods of time. I don't sit in the same position either when playing games. I'm always changing. But in my experience the field of view is decently wide that I would have to stand up and walk, from being dead on in front of the TV, to being far out enough for the sensor bar to start loosing track of the wiimote. I'm my experience I can pretty sit anywhere in any position as long as it's facing the TV and there aren't any direct obstructions.

Also the wiimote can also use the gyroscope for aiming instead or IR. This worked well enough in Red Steel 2.

Hell yeah! CoD is perfect for me and the Wii U because that is the last game my wife likes watching or having on in the background - the gamepad is the perfect fit for it and that is how I played Black Ops 2.

Mlatador

Banned
If you can muster enough discipline to sit in front of a computer desk for an hour (either at work or playing mouse+keyboard games at home), then you can definitely point a wiimote at a TV for extended periods of time. I don't sit in the same position either when playing games. I'm always changing. But in my experience the field of view is decently wide that I would have to stand up and walk, from being dead on in front of the TV, to being far out enough for the sensor bar to start loosing track of the wiimote. I'm my experience I can pretty sit anywhere in any position as long as it's facing the TV and there aren't any direct obstructions.

Also the wiimote can also use the gyroscope for aiming instead or IR. This worked well enough in Red Steel 2.

You don't even have to hold the Wiimote in the air the whole time. After playing 1 or 2 hours, or whenever I feel my arm is getting tired, I just rest my Wiimote on my knee. Works very well that way too.

Effect

I don't think many people are saying people should buy games they don't want just to "show support".

I think the argument is more like "all else being equal (or close to equal), buy the Wii U version to show support".

I hear you though, on the frustration of competitive shooter multiplayer. Too many variables, only ONE of which is skill.

I agree. If you are interested in the game there are plenty of reason to get the Wii U version if you have the system.

To many variables is my big issue in the end. Especially with Call of Duty where kill streaks come into play. I have no problem with support abilities but how things have progressed since Modern Warfare 1 and World at War is crazy. People like to say BF3 is better since it doesn't have that but I think tanks, choppers, etc can be just as bad at times depending on the pilots (constant use of flares, etc) and if they manage to find a sweet spot where they can attack from but can't be attacked. I've have to admit I've been guilty of finding that right spot myself with tanks.

It's one reason why I wish EA hadn't done what they did with Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U. That style of multiplayer I think is more to my liking these days. To the point where I really think I'll end up purchasing it or Borderlands 2 or something like that when given the chance over CoD: Ghost if the third mode isn't to interesting or has a significant push behind it.

prag16

Banned
I agree. If you are interested in the game there are plenty of reason to get the Wii U version if you have the system.

To many variables is my big issue in the end. Especially with Call of Duty where kill streaks come into play. I have no problem with support abilities but how things have progressed since Modern Warfare 1 and World at War is crazy. People like to say BF3 is better since it doesn't have that but I think tanks, choppers, etc can be just as bad at times depending on the pilots (constant use of flares, etc) and if they manage to find a sweet spot where they can attack from but can't be attacked. I've have to admit I've been guilty of finding that right spot myself with tanks.

It's one reason why I wish EA hadn't done what they did with Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U. That style of multiplayer I think is more to my liking these days. To the point where I really think I'll end up purchasing it or Borderlands 2 or something like that when given the chance over CoD: Ghost if the third mode isn't to interesting or has a significant push behind it.

I never really got into the zombie stuff. I find the competitive multiplayer a lot more fun, but it gets so frustrating at times. I agree completely on killstreaks. Support type stuff is cool, and adds some strategy. But some of the stupid crap that can't be countered (or at minimum requires wasting a perk slot to counter) is detrimental to the strategy more often than not.

It also gets so campy, people protecting their precious KDRs. My KDR isn't good, but in most lobbies my SPM is higher than a lot of people with KDRs higher than mine. Have fun laying prone in that alley most of the match to get your gaudy 8-1 line. Meanwhile even though I sucked and went 15-15, I got twice the score/bonus, and didn't almost fall asleep.

Somebody tell me how that can possibly be fun. o_O

These Wii U threads attact all types of anger from people wanting it to fail. People on GAF- Gaming aren’t stupid. They know what they like and what they don’t. Coming here and trying to convince people that the Wii U version will be subpar without the game being out is pointless. I mean we dont have anything to compare it too! Enjoy that a system will be getting a game so at launch day we can talk about it as well (or complain). If it is announced that we won’t get DLC, then we will cross that bridge when we get to it. For now let us Wii U owners enjoy the victory. Remember, its the little things that count right now.

Yes I agree with you.

Or you are some kind of freak abnormality because you enjoyed BO2 on Wii U and want CoD Ghost on Wii U also. If I had fun with BO2 with the low userbase CoD Ghosts can only go up from that. I don't like overpriced DLC, the only thing I miseed on the Wii U version was the Gun game, cannot get into a game of that, but the other features make the buy worth it for me.

I never really got into the zombie stuff. I find the competitive multiplayer a lot more fun, but it gets so frustrating at times. I agree completely on killstreaks. Support type stuff is cool, and adds some strategy. But some of the stupid crap that can't be countered (or at minimum requires wasting a perk slot to counter) is detrimental to the strategy more often than not.

It also gets so campy, people protecting their precious KDRs. My KDR isn't good, but in most lobbies my SPM is higher than a lot of people with KDRs higher than mine. Have fun laying prone in that alley most of the match to get your gaudy 8-1 line. Meanwhile even though I sucked and went 15-15, I got twice the score/bonus, and didn't almost fall asleep.

Somebody tell me how that can possibly be fun. o_O

Yes, I suck at this game but every time I play I have fun.

I have patience I guess, since I did with Counter Strike Source back in the day and got at least decent good with practice, problem is now I cannot play as much as I would like.

Might end up getting this. The last CoD I played was Modern Warfare 2 and my brother and I played the hell out of co op. Wiimote + gamepad = two different screens sounds sweet, especially if there are asynchronous things like aerial support on the gamepad while person with the wiimote takes dudes out on the ground.

Also never used the wiimote in an FPS and all these replies are getting me pumped.

DarkWish

FYI, I emailed an Activision rep and they said they have no info about an eShop download of this game.

I hope they do put it on the eShop. I'm going all digital with Wii U, so that'd be great to have it for download. Black Ops 2 wasn't and some other Activision titles also weren't on the eShop, but maybe they'll change their mind.

Mileena

Banned
FYI, I emailed an Activision rep and they said they have no info about an eShop download of this game.

I hope they do put it on the eShop. I'm going all digital with Wii U, so that'd be great to have it for download. Black Ops 2 wasn't and some other Activision titles also weren't on the eShop, but maybe they'll change their mind.

Not gonna happen, they don't even put it on PSN till the first DLC goes up due to MS' exclusive moneyhat. All digital CoD content must show up on XBL first, even if that content is the actual game.

prag16

Banned
Not gonna happen, they don't even put it on PSN till the first DLC goes up due to MS' exclusive moneyhat. All digital CoD content must show up on XBL first, even if that content is the actual game.
...but is the actual game offered on XBL for direct download?

If it's not it means no download version for ANYBODY?? o_O

Mileena

Banned
I believe so, but I'm not sure since I sold my 360 off over a year ago. I learned the hard way though waiting for Black Ops 2 day one digital on PSN and only the terrible Vita game got uploaded
KuGsj.gif

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Damn, guys. I had such a blast on this Double XP weekend (My first!) I'm DOUBLY stoked for Ghosts now. Still haven't cracked the SP on Blops 2, the MP is so compelling!

prag16

Banned
Damn, guys. I had such a blast on this Double XP weekend (My first!) I'm DOUBLY stoked for Ghosts now. Still haven't cracked the SP on Blops 2, the MP is so compelling!

I got through a couple SP missions and never went back to it. I really should at some point, as the SP is apparently halfway decent in this game.

I got through a couple SP missions and never went back to it. I really should at some point, as the SP is apparently halfway decent in this game.

ehh so so imo but the ending makes it more then worth it though. Don't want to spoil it but well worth it to finish the campaign just to watch it. (the campaign is not that long either)

Hoodbury

I really want to be excited for this, I've been a big fan of the CoDs on the Wii - put in over 400 hours on each of them. But for some reason BO II on the Wii-U I had an awful connection. I'm usually a full second behind and die before I can even react. I was never an all star on the Wii but I was decent, I had a 1.9+ KDR and felt I could usually win a gun fight when I had the jump on someone. Before I quit playing I had just finally gotten my KDR up to 1.0 in BO II. That's a huge drop.

But in BO II, I can't kill anyone with a gun. Even shooting someone in the back 3 times they'll just turn around and kill me like I wasn't even doing anything. Basically the majority of my kills are from using explosives, mainly C4.

I tried playing again this weekend and my first match in I joined a match already in progress and went 0-7.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I have heard other people use the term "lag compensation". It seems I have this really bad as I have pretty strong internet. It really makes the game very unfun. When you have played CoD as much as I have, you start to know situations where you can get the kill, but I can't get those anymore.

This video kinda shows what it's like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJ1BNiSBco

Mileena

Banned
It's a problem with the game, not your connection. Black Ops 2 has a horrible netcode that tried to "balance" people's laggy connections by giving them an advantage while adding artificial lag to good connections. I imagine its only worse on Wii U since everyone is on shitty WiFi.

Hoodbury

It's a problem with the game, not your connection. Black Ops 2 has a horrible netcode that tried to "balance" people's laggy connections by giving them an advantage while adding artificial lag to good connections. I imagine its only worse on Wii U since everyone is on shitty WiFi.

So are the odds pretty good that Ghosts will be the same?

EDarkness

That crap sucked all kinds of ass. It made it to where you'd shoot first and end up dying. It drove me up the wall as I don't remember this being an issue with the other versions of the game. I pretty much gave up playing because it became extremely difficult to kill anyone.

prag16

Banned
But for some reason BO II on the Wii-U I had an awful connection. I'm usually a full second behind and die before I can even react.

Yeah, this seems to be my experience the majority of the time on BO2. I play a lot of hardcore simply because at least in that mode the instakilling goes both ways. In core modes, I'll shoot a guy in the back of the head with a dozen bullets, most connecting, and they'll turn around and roflstomp me.

I've also been on the "good" side of the lag/whatever very very rarely, but enough to be able to see the stark difference. I can and do easily go 20-5 and 8-15 in back to back matches (even on the same map) with the same players and nothing different other than a host migration between matches. Very frustrating. I have a strong connection with low ping according to speedtest (at times almost single digits, lately closer to 15 or 20 on the high end). Almost never NOT 4 bars, never seen it below 3; the 1-2 bar guys always seem to destroy me.

I'd say so, yea. Treyarch tried telling people its their connection and to open up ports and it'll be fine so they're still not admitting they fucked up. Awful developer :/

The few people I know who have played both the PS3 and Wii U versions a decent amount apparently found the experience to be the same on PS3 if not slightly more consistent on Wii U. Even with the small Wii U population and everybody being on shitty wifi.

It's a problem with the netcode that goes across platforms I guess. But as the only wiimote shooter for the year, I'll buy it even though I know I'll be very frustrated by it at times.

Treyarch is full of shit. Vonderhaar claims lag compensation isn't a legit issue. Schmuck. And even then, how do they explain the infinitely stupid "camera lag" that occurs even in offline local multi. o_O

Top Bottom