• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Ghosts MP reveal 14 Aug

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That teaser was awful.

See, this is when I think I played a different version of Blops 2. Awful maps, dominant SMGs, the worst netcode of all time. Don't dirty CoD4's name with comparing the two, the first BO did a much better job at going for the crown.

I do wonder the same thing, SMGs generally make most other weapons pointless when they can outgun most at pretty much any range on these tiny maps, I wouldn't even be able to count the number of times I've been outgunned by an SMG while using an AR at long range. Things like broken C4 and quick scoping sure don't help the frustration of stupid stuff that happens in these games either, and that is ignoring the highly inconsistent netcode.

The maps are much, much, much better than the crap in MW3. Black Ops 2 maps have a few too many entrances/exits to buildings, in general. But they're not the Swiss cheese maps with no flow from Modern Warfare 3.

And by "headglitching", do you mean cover?

MW3 and BO2 are as bad as each other imo, it is like the map makers are too scared of just making some straight paths or rooms that don't have 7 ways to get in and out. There is the occasional room with one entrance and a window that is only an exit, but that just leads to bunches of people sitting in there behind shields.

Headglitching isn't really glitching, it is just bad design that exists in most FPS games. Bullets come out the top of you characters head, so while your view is unobstructed and can shoot anything clearly others only see the very top of your head making it hard to kill them. It isn't really that hard to fix either map wise, just don't have cover above the top of the chest, I doubt developers will ever actually fix where the bullets come from though.

I wish them luck in trying to convince me to get Ghost over Battlefield. They would have to really impress me.

Oh and that "Presented by Xbox" logo really pisses me off.

Battlefield has nothing new or special. Also what's wrong with the presented by logo?

It reminds me how deep this franchise is up MS ass.

Oh and Battlefield has 64 players on 1 map on consoles for the first time. Not to mention full destructibility to boot. I consider that pretty awesome.

Rashid

Banned
Guns in the Black Ops series feel too similar. In COD4, W@W and MW2 the guns all felt different. MW2 had the most variation in how the guns performed which is why I love the gunplay in MW2. I think that is one of the main reasons why some people think MW2 is unbalanced. COD4 was pretty much this way also, but in that game it was clear which guns were the best in each gun category unlike in every game after COD4.

tbh I think people (me included) look back on CoD4 with rose tinted specs. I've played it on PC and it's great, but MP5, M16, M40A5 ACOG. Yeah, I also agree on MW2. How many guns in that game felt truly underpowered? I wouldn't say that Black Ops 2 guns feel that similar, but Black Ops 1 was awful for it, like the FAMAS and AUG were identical except except in terms of recoil and design, loads of guns having the exact same iron sights and so on.

PandaL

3ti0mj.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. I've bought every CoD except the last one (BO2), so this will likely decide whether they get me back for another turn or lose me forever.

I'm in the exact same position (well, I also never bought COD3 because lol). I generally enjoy IW's CODs, but let's see how they've evolved since the whole Activision/Respawn split.

Krakn3Dfx

Still going to stand by my prediction that they'll announce dedicated server support for the XBO version thanks to MS' Azure technology or something like that.

Haven't bought a Call of Duty game since MW4, timed exclusive paid DLC is just indicative of what's wrong with the gaming industry IMO. It's not even like they shave off a percentage of the price for PC and Playstation gamers because of the delay, it's just a big "F U" to their 2nd class customer base.

And now EA is doing the same thing with BF4, so I guess I'll be sticking with BF3 until I can get the entire BF4 Collection for $20 on Origin a year after it comes out. I'm a patient man.

Prologue

Cool. I've bought every CoD except the last one (BO2), so this will likely decide whether they get me back for another turn or lose me forever.

I'm in the exact same position (well, I also never bought COD3 because lol). I generally enjoy IW's CODs, but let's see how they've evolved since the whole Activision/Respawn split.

I've been looking at BO2 lately and the maps look pretty cool, colorful too. Might just jump in instead of being fresh for ghost.

Nice avatar TriGen.

TriGen

Man, CoD3, what horrible memories. If MW hadn't been the next one out CoD3 probably would of killed the series for me.

Edit: Thanks for the avatar love, Prologue.

KrAzEd

Banned
Still going to stand by my prediction that they'll announce dedicated server support for the XBO version thanks to MS' Azure technology or something like that.

Haven't bought a Call of Duty game since MW4, timed exclusive paid DLC is just indicative of what's wrong with the gaming industry IMO. It's not even like they shave off a percentage of the price for PC and Playstation gamers because of the delay, it's just a big "F U" to their 2nd class customer base.

This needs to happen, 90% of why I can't stand Call of duty these days is due to the insane lag compensation and horrible netcode. I can't tell you how many games where the kill cam doesn't even show me shooting back. Its like playing a rigged game in a sense, dedicated servers should have been implemented awhile ago, if BF3 can do it for consoles, then COD certainly can afford it.

Xanadu

Banned

rare to see a cod1/2 guy still trucking, i left after mw2. hope this one can bring back what made the originals so good

SMZC

I'm excited for this. Bring it on, bitches.

Also, this will practically be the first time we see the game for real. I consider showing a COD campaign as more of a teaser than an actual reveal of the game in question. COD campaigns are so atrocious gameplay-wise that it's not even funny.

MW3 and BO2 are as bad as each other imo, it is like the map makers are too scared of just making some straight paths or rooms that don't have 7 ways to get in and out. There is the occasional room with one entrance and a window that is only an exit, but that just leads to bunches of people sitting in there behind shields.

Headglitching isn't really glitching, it is just bad design that exists in most FPS games. Bullets come out the top of you characters head, so while your view is unobstructed and can shoot anything clearly others only see the very top of your head making it hard to kill them. It isn't really that hard to fix either map wise, just don't have cover above the top of the chest, I doubt developers will ever actually fix where the bullets come from though.

I respect your opinion, and I'm with you that the devs need to be less scared of straight lines and safe rooms. But personally, I felt that MW3 was significantly worse than BO2 in the map department. I liked BO1's maps better than BO2, but MW3 was the only CoD since 4 that I stopped playing the second I reached the top rank (no prestige). Couldn't stand those maps at all.

My biggest concern about Ghosts are the maps. If Treyarch was the dev, I wouldn't have the same concerns.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
hoping so hard it will go back to the fun of mw1&2. I will be watching like a hawk.

TriGen

rare to see a cod1/2 guy still trucking, i left after mw2. hope this one can bring back what made the originals so good

CoD2 is still my favorite of all-time. That was the first real online console FPS I really dug into. The community was pretty small and cool too because of the limited 360 launch. That's why I'm a little hopeful for Ghosts despite saying I was going to move on for good last year. If it looks good I'm hoping I can capture that CoD2 launch magic because Xbox One won't have the massive base that current-gen has. Basically nostalgia is keeping me interested in Ghosts.

SMZC

Remove the killstreaks or just stick to 3,5,7.

I can get behind the latter. As it is, they are pretty fucking pointless and unbalanced. The higher end killstreaks in particular serve no other purpose than to massacre to a higher degree a team that is already being massacred as it is. They lead to nothing but to further frustration, and thus rage quits. Sure, I bet the asshole that is controlling the AC-130 is having lots of funs, but is it really worth it when it's at the expense of the entire opposing team?

For the record, I'd like them to keep the higher end killstreaks. They should just figure out a way in which to change the way you obtain them, so that they can actually be useful against a team of equal level, and not just against crap teams that are getting massacred.

And no, Activision, stupid ass care packages are obviously not the solution.

Dedicated servers are a given. I'd be fucking amazed if they still went with peer-to-peer.

This is probably going to be the best CoD MP yet simply because there won't be any lag/lag compensation. I hate the lighting though. Strains my eyes a lot :x

TriGen

Xbox One version is my guess.

Definitely. The site says "presented by Xbox" and I'm sure Activision is going to present the game in its most visually appealing light. So I expect to see them pump out the Xbox One footage way more than any other from here on out.

And now EA is doing the same thing with BF4, so I guess I'll be sticking with BF3 until I can get the entire BF4 Collection for $20 on Origin a year after it comes out. I'm a patient man.
It is only for one of the DLC's in BF4, but I agree that timed exclusive DLC sucks :(.
I'm interested in the MP, and it may join KZ and BF in my list of FPS's that I own on PS4.

Mikey Jr.

They have to do something new to get me back in. I was a hardcore MW2 player, then I stopped after. I have dabbled in each one, with me putting about 15 hours in BO2. But yeah, if its indistinguishable from every other one, then I won't even bother.

dummydecoy

So excited for this. MW3 has served me well. Fuck you Treyarch, I ain't touching any of your shit.

COD4 > MW3 > MW2 > shit > BO1/2.

Archpath1

Played all of the cods after 4, still playing bo2, just sucks to see what it has become, i hope there is a stronger focus on gunplay,i hate quickscoping and how big it is now. Hoping they tone down the annoying additions

CoD is CoD. Most guys run around with the SMGs or just sit back with snipers. It's crazy how people don't want to use the AR's as much. This is for my experience though, and i only play TDM, so keep that in mind. I don't do S&D or hardcore modes, just TDM.

The formula is fun, the gunplay is smooth, but the lag can be annoying since you either have the host advantage or lag compensation which can be annoying if you're not in a lobby full of good connections.

MW3 was a giant piece of shit IMO. BO2 was great. I enjoyed it a lot more than all other CoD's other than MW1 & W@W.

There will always be complaints about CoD and the little nuances in every single iteration since MW1. I'm just hoping for a solid experience. BO2 was great because it wasn't fully loaded with high killstreaks in TDM for me. I'm hoping ghosts can do the same. The high end stuff really needs to be earned and not handed out like candy. I'm hoping they go full dedicated servers using the azure cloud servers so we don't have to put up with the lame host adv/lag compensation nonsense.

COD has gotten way to complicated over the years with its insane amount of pointless camos and customization as well as way to many kill streaks.

COD4 and COD5 were clean and simple and thats how i liked it. This game is never going back to the to those days ever again.

Top Bottom