• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution (720p)?

Oni Jazar

Lucy you have some splainin' to do!

Edit: Looks like we were right! Single player was 720p but there will be a day one patch to make it 1080p!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...all-of-duty-ghosts-single-player-1080p-on-ps4

Edit: To summarize, this really has little to do with the game Call of Duty: Ghosts.

I'm saying that something doesn't add up and I'd like to know why. If PS4 was confirmed to be 1080p and Xbox One confirmed 720p then why do the comparison videos and reviews look nearly identical? Is is something with the video capture, something with the output to TV or is there something with the PS4 version of COD:Ghosts.

When you post a comparison video or a review you better damn well have everything setup right or you're doing a huge disservice to your audience. If the PS4 was set to 720p then the sites need to state that fact up front. People with 1080p TVs won't be seeing that.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89619250&postcount=1597

sportz103 said:
I'm saying that in the images in question, the PS4 version was in native 720p. Not saying that the game doesn't do native 1080p on PS4 at all.

Even with crappy YouTube artifacts, you can tell by the aliasing that it's the exact same resolution:

10ye4M4.gif

IGN Comparison Video:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/12/call-of-duty-ghosts-in-1080p-ps4-vs-xbox-one-commentary

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1805244&postcount=3791
Kasersky said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89603474&postcount=1580
stew said:
XB1vs_PS4.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHNFviGstlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1htWT9eWJ_k

PS3 resolution is 880x720. So according to some people, in those videos Xbox One and PS4 versions are both running at 1280x720p?

madmackem

If you come at the king of vs DF you better not miss, looks like ign and the like havent got a clue what they are doing, why would you not output 1080p native ps4 at 1080p.

Haven't there been threads talking about this rumour?

Yes, but under the banner of the Polygon review. This is a bigger issue than that.

It raises a lot of key points. Are the reviewers even reviewing that same thing? Is it a capture issue, or a PS4 set up issue? Can PS4 be forced to run 720p, and if so what does that do to the framerate?

(The most explosive would be : PS4 version is 720p too. But surely not!)

finally somehow makes a thread. Was wondering this all day. Did IGN fucked up recording somewhere or did Infinity Ward fooled every journos lying about PS4 being 1080 ?

nib95

Banned
Hope we can get to the bottom of this, but yea I said in an earlier thread that the PS4 footage did not look 1080p. Luckily Dark said the same straight after so I knew I wasn't going crazy. But yea, there's something awry here. PS4 version based on IGN's footage and these screens looks 720p as well. Either Infinity Ward lied about the PS4 version being native 1080p or there's been some sort of other misstep or issue.

SHADES

If this rumor were the case I can't see why Mark Rubin would openly admit CoD:Ghosts is 1080p on PS4 & cause the shitstorm he did & have to deal with the subsequent press barrage that followed?

Seems like a lot of headache for something that can be quickly disproved.

Marvel

could never
Maybe they didn't set the PS4 display settings to 1080p before capturing? I dunno... man this whole resolution issue is a mess.

jet1911

Hope we can get to the bottom of this, but yea I said in an earlier thread that the PS4 footage definitely did not look 1080p. Luckily Dark said the same straight after so I knew I wasn't going crazy. But yea, there's something awry here.

PS4 version based on IGN's footage and these screens looks 720p as well. Either Infinity Ward lied about the PS4 version being native 1080p or there's been some sort of other misstep or issue.

If the PS4 is set in 720p will it output in 720p or it'll be 1080p downscaled to 720p?

sits

If you come at the king of vs DF you better not miss, looks like ign and the like havent got a clue what they are doing, why would you not output 1080p native ps4 at 1080p.

Exactly. *looks at IGN*

DF counts pixels and dropped frames, and looks at edge-distortion and tells us what sort of AA is in play, all using their own proprietary tech, and then explains the 'why' behind it all.

IGN can't even give us the native 1080p feed.

mocoworm

In this image from the OP:

I MUCH prefer the XONE screenshot. It looks way better. Clearer, brighter ... the lighting looks better. It's just my opinion but I am suprised that the PS4 doesn't really 'pop' after all the hype.

CozMick

Banned

I MUCH prefer the XONE screenshot. It looks way better. Clearer, brighter ... the lighting looks better. It's just my opinion but I am suprised that the PS4 doesn't really 'pop' after all the hype.

So you enjoy games covered in green shit?

Waaghals

If both were running at 720p it's no wonder that the Polygon guys couldn't tell the difference.

Some of the screen dumps of both versions did look very low resolution.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Maybe the PS4 was set to 720p for graphical "parity" during the review event, lol.

A lot of the vids messed up the colour settings too. IMHO the only issue we can resolve is the resolution as it is objective. How does one define "pop"?

If the PS4 version is 720p, then doesn't that mean IW have been straight lying to everyone?

Would also mean there is zero reason for the framerate to be as shitty as it supposedly is.

Can't see this ending well for anyone.

Chobel

Also this

Brad Grenz said:
chobel said:
Couldn't that be attributed to output video resolution, not rendering resolution?
No. If one version was rendered at a higher resolution and down sambled for output at a lower resolution it would be evident via reduced aliasing. Since it's the aliasing that is identical the only rational conclusion is the games were rendered internally at the same resolution.

It means that CoD is rendered at 720p and output video resolution has nothing to do with it.

NBtoaster

FYI: The IGN comparison has the XB1 version in the colorblind mode which makes red hues pink. You can turn it on and off in the game.

Tulerian

Didn't he admit they messed up the settings, meaning the brightness etc was set differently?

Nothing to do with the difference in console versions.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't understand what's going on here. Either Ghosts isn't 1080p at all on PS4 and everyone in the world missed this, or IGN's comparison video is doctored to make the PS4 version look 720p?

Except the colours are off, look at the 'red' on the flag.

The lighting is exactly the same, what's different is the color. And I guess the Xbox version is upscaled by the console while the PS4 version is upscaled by the TV, because it's probably forced to output 720p, which could result in a slightly worse picture (that doesn't mean the PS4 has no scaler/a bad scaler, both consoles have the same one, but the PS4 won't use the built-in one when it is set to 720p).

nib95

Banned
If the PS4 is set in 720p will it output in 720p or it'll be 1080p downscaled to 720p?

Up-scaled. The PS4 supposedly uses the same hardware scaler as found in the Xbox One, though it seems somewhere along the line Microsoft has customised it to add extreme sharpening or something, at least based off of DR3 and BF4 anyway. Difficult to say at present, but yes, the PS4 version will be upscaled.

Opinions and all that, but the Xbox One version's colours and gamma are way off. It has red crush, an over bright gamma and a green tinge to the whole image.

I don't understand what's going on here. Either Ghosts isn't 1080p at all on PS4 and everyone in the world missed this, or IGN's comparison video is doctored to make the PS4 version look 720p?

But not just IGN, that's the thing. TheSixthAxis, GameSpot and IGN all show the same.

ekim

If the PS4 version is 720p, then doesn't that mean IW have been straight lying to everyone?

Would also mean there is zero reason for the framerate to be as shitty as it supposedly is.

Can't see this ending well for anyone.

Basically this. It's really more about the truth than about the resolution itself.

To restate my theory from the other thread, I am beginning to believe that some of the PS4 systems used to demonstrate the game at the review event may not have been set up correctly to run the game at 1080p. If the game was being shown on PS4 both at 1080p to some and 720p to others, this would explain why some of the reviewers could not see any difference, while others saw a clear advantage for Sony. It would also explain how the footage captured by IGN and Sixth Axis appears to be native 720p on both systems.

My assumption is that Marc Rubin did not lie, the PS4 can run at native 1080p, but not everyone who reviewed the game actually got to see it that way, and none of the comparison footage we have right now is representative of the resolution advantage.

How did this happen? I don't know. It could be a firmware bug with how HDMI connections were negotiated on the debug hardware they used, or it could be simple user error in how the machines were configured by Activision.

Good question.
People like to bitch about anything........No one should buy this game. Dont spend your money on garbage.

I mean PS4 dudes can buy KZ: SF instead, Xbone and PC dudes can buy BF4 instead.

Do not support the worst CoD game to date, people. And I am not talking about graphics.

sits

Good question.
People like to bitch about anything........No one should buy this game. Dont spend your money on garbage.

We're not debating the merits of its gameplay. We're debating its results as a tech benchmark for lack of anything else at this point.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
There is no doubt that the PS4 is recorded in 720p. It looks a mess for it to be 1080p.

FYI: The IGN comparison has the XB1 version in the colorblind mode which makes red hues pink. You can turn it on and off in the game.

I knew there was something wrong with certain clips from the XB1 version with the reds looking pink.

Amused

So... Is this a problem with the video capture from the PS4, or is it a compression problem with the video itself?

Top Bottom