• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution (720p)?

Hubble

If they released a patch for the PS4 and supposedly Microsoft's good relationship with COD, why can't they patch the XBO too?

L3G3ND6

Neo Member
If they released a patch for the PS4 and supposedly Microsoft's good relationship with COD, why can't they patch the XBO too?

Because the Xbone isn't as capable as the PS4. They said it's due to configuration not limitation, the limitation on the Xbone still exists.

Hawk269

It took 7 minutes from the IGN comparison video being posted to someone calling them both 720p

Now activision confirm a day 1 patch is needed, which reviewers probably never saw. This is gold.

New Thread please.

If what you are saying is accurate, then the PS4 version was having frame rate issues at 720p? I am confused on what the hell is going on. But if IGN only saw the PS4 version and it had fps issues, it is going to be really bad at 1080p. There has to be something more to this.

MonaKyshu

Banned
shouldn't we start trying to push a requirement for reviews that they have to review the actual day 1 retail version of the game, and not the game they think everyone will be playing?

i know we like to see reviews before we attempt to purchase the games on day 1, but with all this next gen stuff, we seemingly don't even really know what these reviewers are actually reviewing, its the same shit with reviewers playing Sim City under non-load conditions and saying the game works flawless.

shouldn't we start trying to push a requirement for reviews that they have to review the actual day 1 retail version of the game, and not the game they think everyone will be playing?

Even with that, there lies a problem with multiplayer heavy games. You need weeks, sometimes months to develop a sense of how the online and community works. And many games get patched/balances changed months down the line. For example, compare launch TF2 to what it is now. Almost a completely different game.

Next-Gen Face-Off: Call of Duty: Ghosts

Each next-gen console version has its strengths and weaknesses, but clearly it is the PS4 game that offers a superior experience overall. The advantage here comes in the form of cleaner and sharper visuals that help to better realise the extra next-gen spit and polish on display over the 360, PS3, and Wii U versions of the game - something that Xbox One's upscaled 720p presentation fails to do in quite the same way. However, the Xbox One version has its own charms in the form of a smoother, more consistent frame-rate.

Indeed, the performance impact on PlayStation 4 is something of a disappointment, and those expecting a solid 60fps presentation that closely matches the glory days of the original Modern Warfare are sure to be let down in this regard. In that respect, from a purely gameplay perspective the Xbox One game has the edge, and this translates into a more fluid experience when playing online, with the hiccups seen on the PS4 title restricted to the game's campaign mode. It's an interesting situation considering that while the smoother frame-rate clearly benefits gameplay on the Xbox One, the resolution deficit makes it harder to consistently pick out enemies from a distance compared to the PS4 version - something that is also worth bearing in mind.

BibiMaghoo

This thread just reminds me that IGN never admitted to any mistake. They are still claiming the video's are in correct resolution, when they are clearly not.

There is tearing in the PS4 version? Yuck. XB1 version has a TON of aliasing, though.

Tearing that I have only noticed on one single map, in a very specific area of that map, in about 15 hours of gameplay. As someone who has played both versions of this game, I would choose the PS4 version, and it looks like Digital Foundry just said the same.

KOMANI

KOMANI
"Having the appearance of judder and visible tearing in a Call of Duty game is disappointing, and on the PS4 at least we get the feeling that things simply aren't optimised quite as well as they should be - something that is clear from the resolution error and juddering issues in the unpatched retail build. However, in fairness these issues do affect both platforms at times, with a later mission set in detail-rich jungle environments seeing the level of smoothness compromised on a frequent basis. The Xbox One game recovers more quickly, restoring the desired 60fps response for longer periods, but neither platform delivers the faultless update we would expect from the series."

"Each next-gen console version has its strengths and weaknesses, but clearly it is the PS4 game that offers a superior experience overall. "

I MUCH prefer the XONE screenshot. It looks way better. Clearer, brighter ... the lighting looks better. It's just my opinion but I am suprised that the PS4 doesn't really 'pop' after all the hype.

fqlWrzg.jpg

There I made it slightly more blue, now it looks exactly the same

TBH I'm not sure if this game is a good benchmark for anything, ever. Not that you made the wrong choice. It's just a game that seems to have a lot of quriks on every platform.

The difference in clarity 1080p brings is a pretty huge improvement in this game. I have it on both of the new consoles and I think it's a better experience on the PS4.

gtj1092

True but also Xbox one drop to ~30fps mean it nothing to do with the resolution, it's all from a shit engine or poor optimisation.

You're suppose to be pretending cod never had frame drops before the ps4 version. And that all the people playing the game the last two weeks have found the frame rate game breaking.

CozMick

Banned
TBH I'm not sure if this game is a good benchmark for anything, ever. Not that you made the wrong choice. It's just a game that seems to have a lot of quriks on every platform.

Oh, dont get me wrong, game looks like ass on both consoles....except the ass on ps4 looks a lot sharper. :p

Top Bottom