• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution (720p)?

stew

What happens if a 1080p native is rendered natively by a console at 720p? The effects and the AA stay the same for each game?

What about the Xbox One version? It is running at 720p or 1080p upscaled in those videos?

I'm wondering why there isn't any journalist that noticed the resolutions differences between the game and the capture.
Maybe because you have to zoom in on a still shot to notice? It just drives home the point that 1080p vs. 720p doesn't matter enough to really matter. This whole debate just drives home the point that resolution isn't as important as the feature set of your rendering engine.

shandy706

Why didn't the reviewers question the weird visual similarity between Xbox One and PS4?

Who?

I'll give you one guess what website questioned there being any real difference.

We'll just say that it's not so popular here.

I assume it is 1080p and there's a mistake somewhere. If not, why did so many sites say there's a difference?

Rhindle

Here's my theory on what's going on here:

Both console versions may be using the same art assets (at 720p rez), same code base. The PS4 game engine could nonethless be rendering 1080p to the framebuffer. That allows IW to advertise the game as "1080p native." However, it's really just the game engine upscaling the image, rather than the upscaling occurring at the system level on the X1.

CozMick

Banned
Why didn't the reviewers question the weird visual similarity between Xbox One and PS4? Because there's no way a 1080p video will look like 720p video
upscaled to 1080p

Who?

IGN stated multiple times during their comparison that the ps4 was the clear winner graphically due to the higher resolution :/

a916

I thought it does. But if so, they should judge on what you see on an actual TV, not what is captured and shared to Facebook...

They shouldn't, and what's worse is people shouldn't be using Youtube videos to compare fidelity either.

Even if the video is captured at 720p, the game should still internally be being rendered at 1080p, and thus not have the same level of aliasing. Or at least that's how I understand it.

That makes sense. (but also note, COD in previous iterations uses AA which could throw off what one would expect a 1080p game leve of aliasing.)

Appleman

Maybe because you have to zoom in on a still shot to notice? It just drives home the point that 1080p vs. 720p doesn't matter enough to really matter. This whole debate just drives home the point that resolution isn't as important as the feature set of your rendering engine.

If it was actually native 1080p you wouldn't have to zoom in to notice.

It's a huge difference, but not always the most important difference. I don't mind a resolution hit to achieve even more impressive effects, but on an apples-to-apples comparison, I'll take over twice the pixels, thanks.

I guess we'll find out Friday what the real deal is when I throw in my PS4 copy of Ghosts and will be able to tell instantly

In this image from the OP:

I MUCH prefer the XONE screenshot. It looks way better. Clearer, brighter ... the lighting looks better. It's just my opinion but I am suprised that the PS4 doesn't really 'pop' after all the hype.

So you like color blind mode? I should have read your title before your post.

EvB

You don't even need to analyse them to see they are identical, especially in the first one where you can see identical jaggies on the building in the distance.

Loakum

Banned
no2cHiJ.jpg

RobbieH

Both look like 720p upscaled.

This whole thing is completely fucked. The difference between 720p and 1080p should be as clear as day, especially if 720p is upscaled. Far Cry 3 is the only thing I have installed at the moment, but some screenshots with 2xAA:

720p Native said:
1080p Scaled to 720p said:
720p Scaled to 1080p said:
1080p Native said:

oVerde

Banned
If both were same resolution, this is going to explode all over the faces of people who clearly could tell the difference of it.

Boom_freddie_small.gif

RedStep

I feel sorry for the general public who have even less clue of what's happening resolution wise [than GAF] and are at the mercy of company mouth pieces.

Do you honestly believe that anybody in the general public is on the fence as to which version of Ghosts to buy? They're going to buy the one for the system that they have.

The only people that give a shit fall into our category, and that's for the love of the fight rather than as a genuine purchasing guide.

Loakum

Banned
Interesting. The truth will be known very soon regardless. If it turns out that it's 720p in SP that would be very strange that he wouldn't know.

But did you honestly just take a cell phone screenshot of your computer? lol

lol, pretty obvious, huh? ^_^

EvB

Could the "Open" be pre-rendered? Cause I see the same aliasing on the building on the left in both screenshots.

That would be really plausible, it would also explain the ridiculous install size if they consoles have a bunch of 60fps HD video on them.

VXLbeast

Of all the resolutions gafs and misinformation spread about lately, if this turns out to be true it will be the first one to make me legitimately annoyed.

FrankT

It's obvious from these that the PS4 version is not native 1080p. No need to analyse.

Something is very wrong in all this. Never seen Quaz wrong once, but I suppose we shall see. IW would have to be dumb as could be if they think they could get away with it.

sportz103

Something is very wrong in all this. Never seen Quaz wrong once, but I suppose we shall see. IW would have to be dumb as could be if they think they could get away with it.

If it's 1080p that doesn't mean Quaz is wrong, all the footage we have seen of PS4 SP has been 720p up-scaled. But just because we haven't seen native 1080p doesn't mean there isn't native 1080p

WHOA... cool your jets people. I understand that we are very passionate about games but it seems like we're letting our passion override our judgement by expressing anger/frustration towards developers. I don't think they're intentionally trying to deceive anyone. At least I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

frayne182

Banned
WHOA... cool your jets people. I understand that we are very passionate about games but it seems like we're letting our passion override our judgement by expressing anger/frustration towards developers. I don't think they're intentionally trying to deceive anyone. At least I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

People do need to calm down I agree. This is getting ridiculous.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I assume it is 1080p and there's a mistake somewhere. If not, why did so many sites say there's a difference?
Because they played the multiplayer which is for sure 1080p, and saw the difference. Those who were playing the single player, presumably wouldn't be seeing any difference because there wouldn't be any if PS4 version is really 720p during single player.

Foxix Von

Gaf =/= America.

Europeans and other Gaffers probably would never know of Lucille Ball.

I knew I shouldn't have stealth edited my post :lol. I didn't mean it as a cultural thing. It just... makes me feel old :(

Especially since the biggest fan of the show we had in our house was my mother who's very not from the USA and was familiar with it before moving there.

Faddy

Banned
It took 7 minutes from the IGN comparison video being posted to someone calling them both 720p

Now activision confirm a day 1 patch is needed, which reviewers probably never saw. This is gold.

New Thread please.

Top Bottom