• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution (720p)?

Amused

Aaaaand, we are back to this:

Scenario one: Reviewers have played both games at 720p because Activision made a mistake.

Scenario two: Reviewers have played PS4 in 1080p, but have for some reason decided to show off video/screens of the PS4 version in 720p.

Scenario 1 is embarrassing for everyone involved. Scenario 2 is disingenuous beyond belief - even if that is the only material they are sitting on.

Wait, so Polygon is redeemed? What a twist! I think we owe them an honest apology at this point, they got a lot of abuse for no reason as it turns out.

Lol, true. At least my conscience is clean though :)

Another interesting thing to consider. If reviewers incorrectly set the game to output to 720p, yet they got less consistent framerate on the PS4, then it's a double edge sword, because if they set the game to 1080p, then the framerate would be even worse, no?

Also, these guys have already reviewed other games and played them at 1080p, now why would they have to go into settings again and make changes? Maybe IW claims that the game is 1080p is limited to multiplayer, while the singleplayer is 720p?

dubq

When game sites post comparison videos that (possibly) don't give a fair representation of what the user gets it's fuck up I don't care what game it is.

You should care. You should also care that it's cross-gen and launch. Not saying the game sites are correct, or that you should just ignore the possible issue. But I don't think this warrants an up-in-arms GAF freakout.

Lol, true. At least my conscience is clean though :)

Another interesting thing to consider. If reviewers incorrectly set the game to output to 720p, yet they got less consistent framerate on the PS4, then it's a double edge sword, because if they set the game to 1080p, then the framerate would be even worse, no?

Also, these guys have already reviewed other games and played them at 1080p, now why would they have to go into settings again and make changes? Maybe IW claims that the game is 1080p is limited to multiplayer, while the singleplayer is 720p?

No.

Orlics

Is it possible that the capture equipment was just accidentally set on the "720p" setting? That's the simplest explanation I can think of for this.

Is it possible that the capture equipment was just accidentally set on the "720p" setting? That's the simplest explanation I can think of for this.

For EVERYONE? And they managed to get multiplayer in 1080p. Much more likely the twitter person is mistaken imo.

Computer

In this image from the OP:

I MUCH prefer the XONE screenshot. It looks way better. Clearer, brighter ... the lighting looks better. It's just my opinion but I am suprised that the PS4 doesn't really 'pop' after all the hype.

Dat 50% more power not putting in work son.

Faddy

Banned
So if at 720p you're not able to consistently hit 60fps, how will setting the output to 1080p not further hurt the framerate? please explain...

The game will draw the scene at its native resolution then be upscaled/downscaled afterwards. The graphics cards have scalers that are essentially free* when outputting the signal which is why Xbox One can claim that it will output 1080p for all games even if we are seeing many sub 1080p games.

The same applies to downscaling, it is a part of the graphics chip. It is very unlikely that next gen games will have multiple native resolutions when developers can target one and get free scaling.

On PS3 there were issues because scaling was not free, it took gpu cycles (at least if you wanted 2D scaling, source I read it on GAF) so many PS3 games were at odd native res that only scaled in a single direction, so when downscaling below native res the native resolution was changed.

*does not limit available resources

Donny

Hmmm this leaves only two options:

- Something with the capturing of the PS4 build sp footage went very wrong. From multiple outlets that is.
- IW is lying or has no clue.

What will it be?

Quaz will set the record straight when the game is out.

The game will draw the scene at its native resolution then be upscaled/downscaled afterwards. The graphics cards have scalers that are essentially free* when outputting the signal which is why Xbox One can claim that it will output 1080p for all games even if we are seeing many sub 1080p games.

Problem is that the video we have isn't being downscaled. It is native 720p.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmmm this leaves only two options:

- Something with the capturing of the PS4 build sp footage went very wrong. From multiple outlets that is.
- IW is lying or has no clue.

What will it be?

I thought the initial review was in a controlled environment. As in publisher controlled the experience and then distributed the footage.

PJV3

What was that really awkward Metro interview about then, wouldn't they have just said they were both 720p.

It matters insofar as having massive bragging rights on your console of choice about having the superior version of the biggest FPS of the year. There's still an advantage, but it's somewhat diminished now.

Oh well, at least there's always Battlefield 4 to brag about.

If so, then that's kinda funny because outside of the released DF footage that was seemingly botched by being way too dark to the point of not being able to see anything on the Xbox One version, the two versions of BF4 are pretty much identical, with the same graphics quality and all the same effects. The direct feed DF footage released was so unflattering in its presentation of the visual look of the Xbox One version that I found the footage unwatchable, even stating I thought the PS4 MP looked better than Xbox One MP based on the footage, which I believed to be true based on the footage released by Digital Foundry. However, when you look at footage elsewhere (jackfrags, IGN), that clearly doesn't appear to be the case.

There are some differences, but both look quite incredible with the PS4 version having a softer look with less aliasing, and the Xbox One version having better texture/art detail (mostly due to the fact that it doesn't have the slight blur that exists on the PS4 version, and the PC version doesn't have this blur either) and the appearance of a more aggressive form of lighting. I mean, pick your poison. Each side has its ups and downs, not much to brag about. I would say the PS4 version simply presents less clearly visible distractions to the game's final presentation, and if only for that reason alone, I would probably lean towards the PS4 version, but I wouldn't exactly call it a slam dunk.
PS4 version apparently has better fps, but from the looks of things, neither version seems to have serious issues in the performance department since DICE clearly got performance pretty nicely nailed down on both platforms.

Outside of that, every other game has been more or less indistinguishable between the two systems to the point that to even find any differences, you really have to engage in some serious nitpicking. Assassin's Creed looks pretty fucking amazing on the Xbox One, and it looks amazing on the PS4 also. The game that came the closest of all that I've seen on the two systems to giving me the impression that I might more clearly see a difference between the two systems, funny enough, turns out to be a game that, according to reports, runs at 1080p 30fps on both systems. Need for Speed Rivals. I brought it up, and maybe the comparison on IGN was flawed in its execution, but not many others - at least from what I saw initially - seemed to agree with what I was seeing. I initially thought that the PS4 version looked like it was at a higher resolution because it struck me as being much easier to see detail further out in front of the car. I don't know why I get that impression, but at a glance that's what I got, but maybe I was just looking too hard to try and perceive differences and ended up seeing something that wasn't there. The IGN comparison wasn't exactly ideal, so that could be the cause, but the more attractive scenes, especially the full screens, were on the PS4 side.

But all things said either way, and I know this isn't popular, but I also really don't care, it's my opinion after all, I am honestly not seeing the big difference between the two systems in graphical output. There's resolution and all, but resolution alone clearly doesn't seem to be having the impact some expected. Already there's a decent range of titles that tell us there are things more important than resolution, or else certain lower resolution games wouldn't look quite a bit better than other games that are 1080p. People are trying hard because of the excitement over the launch of new systems to crown winners and cement their beliefs and expectations, but as was always going to be the case, we need to wait and see what the devs achieve on both systems with more time and experience with the hardware, especially the exclusives, before the jury is officially out. We know the specs, some expect night and day differences. I'm looking at games, and I can't see night and day differences. Some were honestly talking like they expected there to be bigger differences between PS4 and Xbox One than between Xbox One and Wii-U.

Averon

Hmmm.

Going to have to go with IW on this for now. You'd think the developers would know the technical specs of its just-released game. No matter how incompetent they are.

teiresias

I thought the initial review was in a controlled environment. As in publisher controlled the experience and then distributed the footage.

I thought it was BF4 that had the event with the provided capture equipment?

I dunno, times like this I'm glad I'm not into these military FPSs at all. I can't believe anyone gives this game the time of day on either platform when BF4 is available for both platforms anyway.

What was that really awkward Metro interview about then, wouldn't they have just said they were both 720p.

Was that the weird interview where they kept buggin Mark Rubin and then tried to pose it as if MS is paying dudes to keep quiet about 1080p on PS4? If this 720p thing is true then that whole thing is gonna be pathetic.

Kuro

If so, then that's kinda funny because outside of the released DF footage that was seemingly botched by being way too dark to the point of not being able to see anything on the Xbox One version, the two versions of BF4 are pretty much identical, with the same graphics quality and all the same effects.

eJOB0.gif

Orca

Wait, so Polygon is redeemed? What a twist! I think we owe them an honest apology at this point, they got a lot of abuse for no reason as it turns out.

Yeah I wonder if some of the guys in that other thread will be eating crow for their witch hunt on the "1080p PS4 version looks the same" comments from Polygon and IGN if it turns out to be 720p as well.

I mean sheesh...

Holy shit look at that review! "Can't tell 720p from 1080p unless there's a gun to my head?" How is Polygon even respected and not belong to the same shit tier as xx420xxgames.com?

I don't think they're lying. I don't think I'd take the technical comparisons from someone who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I don't care about the score bump. I don't care about the framerate talk (though it certainly doesn't seem to a universal complaint).

What I can't for the life of me understand is how this dude looked at the games side by side and said he couldn't see a difference.

That's just fucking dumb.

I can't get any others because the server won't stop giving me 'too busy' errors, but you get the idea. Think guys like that will be saying 'whoops' or eating crow?

Maybe we should back away from the ridiculous 'us against them' rhetoric and the next time there's an article or review we disagree with, let's not jump straight to the 'they're idiots' or 'they're bought' accusations...at least until we actually play the game.

PJV3

Was that the weird interview where they kept buggin Mark Rubin and then tried to pose it as if MS is paying dudes to keep quiet about 1080p on PS4? If this 720p thing is true then that whole thing is gonna be pathetic.

Yes but both him and his handler went through the wringer about it, they couldn't talk about differences, not similarities. farcical.

Metfanant

Gotta lean towards IW for the time being...obviously the truths will come out eventually...

But I dont see why they would lie...

Faddy

Banned
Problem is that the video we have isn't being downscaled. It is native 720p.

That IGN video is native 720p for the PS4, no one has denied this or provided contrary evidence. IGN clearly thought they were showing 1080p video and IW claim PS4 is 1080p so who knows where we are at.

What if the native resolution is 1080 x 1280 and they upscale in only one direction?

psn

If so, then that's kinda funny because outside of the released DF footage that was seemingly botched by being way too dark to the point of not being able to see anything on the Xbox One version, the two versions of BF4 are pretty much identical, with the same graphics quality and all the same effects.

This looks identical? Open them all, and just zap through them..
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_XO_027.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...F4_PS4_027.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_PC_027.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg

http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_XO_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...F4_PS4_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_PC_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg

And people should recognize the sharpening filter on the X1 version. Just an easy trick to let you believe the image is sharper. Even your TV is able to do that..

Just a little comparison with sharpening filter on and of in the ps4 picture:
http://i.imgur.com/i6ni5X9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l4vGYSI.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seriously. Why would he even agree to an interview if this 720p stuff pans out? Doesn't make any sense.

LetoAtreides82

Neo Member
That IGN video is native 720p for the PS4, no one has denied this or provided contrary evidence. IGN clearly thought they were showing 1080p video and IW claim PS4 is 1080p so who knows where we are at.

What if the native resolution is 1080 x 1280 and they upscale in only one direction?

Would it be possible that IGN's PS4 footage was captured at 720p, and then IGN upscaled it to 1080p?

psn

Your links are broken.

Links are working now:

This looks identical? Open them all, and just zap through them..
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_XO_027.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...F4_PS4_027.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_PC_027.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg

http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_XO_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...F4_PS4_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg
http://cfa.gamer-network.net/2013/a...BF4_PC_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/80/format/jpg

And people should recognize the sharpening filter on the X1 version. Just an easy trick to let you believe the image is sharper. Even your TV is able to do that..

Just a little comparison with sharpening filter on and off in the ps4 picture:
http://i.imgur.com/i6ni5X9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l4vGYSI.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah I wonder if some of the guys in that other thread will be eating crow for their witch hunt on the "1080p PS4 version looks the same" comments from Polygon and IGN if it turns out to be 720p as well.
You don't review COD without playing both SP and MP. They're still idiots for not noticing the discrepancy in MP. Also it's not just about Polygon's narrative, but the way they write that gives away their horrible bias.

So, no, we're not eating crow, Polygon's still shit and will always be.

PJV3

Seriously. Why would he even agree to an interview if this 720p stuff pans out? Doesn't make any sense.

He went to great pains to highlight the similarities, he could have said they were both great single player experiences at 720p and left it at that.

None of this makes sense, MS would have loved him to.

Durante

It would be extremely strange for IW to lie at this point when everyone can check in a few days.

So we're back to the assumption of faulty capture, since those screens in the comparison are very obviously not 1080p.

H6rdc0re

Banned
Okay now here's a credible theory. How about the entire gaming press being in Microsoft their pockets unwilling to bite the hand that feeds them. Downplaying everything positive Sony any change possible and ignoring anything negative Microsoft. In an unbiased world the press should have massacred Microsoft for releasing a significantly underpowered console for an extra 100 dollars/euros more. See the forest for the trees here people we're being lied to. Microsoft has deep pockets. Doctoring footage, spreading lies and comparing wrong material. I have no faith in the gaming press what so ever, reading between the lines.

Faddy

Banned
Would it be possible that IGN's PS4 footage was captured at 720p, and then IGN upscaled it to 1080p?

I don't know how you could tell if the PS4 was set to output at 720p whether that was the native res or downscaled. You get a slight IQ boost when downscaling compared to native but I don't know how it can be worked out what the native res is.

The question then becomes why was IGN using a PS4 that was outputting at 720p, why did they not know and how can we be sure that other publications did not have the same issues?

Game is always internally rendered at 1080p. It would be downscaled/downsampled effectively to be displayed in 720p.

But the game isn't being down sampled. That's the entire problem. It's possible the game has a 720p mode, but I'm pretty sure that would have a noticeable performance increase vs a 1080p mode.

Top Bottom