• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution (720p)?

If so, then that's kinda funny because outside of the released DF footage that was seemingly botched by being way too dark to the point of not being able to see anything on the Xbox One version, the two versions of BF4 are pretty much identical, with the same graphics quality and all the same effects. The direct feed DF footage released was so unflattering in its presentation of the visual look of the Xbox One version that I found the footage unwatchable, even stating I thought the PS4 MP looked better than Xbox One MP based on the footage, which I believed to be true based on the footage released by Digital Foundry. However, when you look at footage elsewhere (jackfrags, IGN), that clearly doesn't appear to be the case.

There are some differences, but both look quite incredible with the PS4 version having a softer look with less aliasing, and the Xbox One version having better texture/art detail (mostly due to the fact that it doesn't have the slight blur that exists on the PS4 version, and the PC version doesn't have this blur either) and the appearance of a more aggressive form of lighting. I mean, pick your poison. Each side has its ups and downs, not much to brag about. I would say the PS4 version simply presents less clearly visible distractions to the game's final presentation, and if only for that reason alone, I would probably lean towards the PS4 version, but I wouldn't exactly call it a slam dunk.
PS4 version apparently has better fps, but from the looks of things, neither version seems to have serious issues in the performance department since DICE clearly got performance pretty nicely nailed down on both platforms.

This shit about Battlefield 4 again? I wasn't at all surprised when I scrolled up to see who posted it. This has been debunked so many times, even to you specifically, and yet you still bring it up. *shakes head*

Durante

But the game isn't being down sampled. That's the entire problem. It's possible the game has a 720p mode, but I'm pretty sure that would have a noticeable performance increase vs a 1080p mode.
Exactly. Either the game has a 720p mode (which should perform much better than 720p on XB1) or it should downsample (which is obviously not the case in those screenshots).

One plausible option is that the game has a 720p mode which renders natively, and that's where the captures are from, but the performance impressions are from 1080p.

Which would be incredibly silly.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It would be extremely strange for IW to lie at this point when everyone can check in a few days.

So we're back to the assumption of faulty capture, since those screens in the comparison are very obviously not 1080p.

There is also always the possibility that somebody just used the wrong footage by mistake and labeled it as the PS4 footage. It would be indeed utterly wired for IW to lie. In addition, several reviewers have confirmed that the PS4-version looks sharper, so some sort of mistake on IGN's side seems to be the most plausible explanation at the moment.

Durante

There is also always the possibility that somebody just used the wrong footage by mistake and labeled it as the PS4 footage. It would be indeed utterly wired for IW to lie. In addition, several reviewers have confirmed that the PS4-version looks sharper, so some sort of mistake on IGN's side seems to be the most plausible explanation at the moment.
Yes, that's a third option. Perhaps the most likely one.

LetoAtreides82

Neo Member
I don't know how you could tell if the PS4 was set to output at 720p whether that was the native res or downscaled. You get a slight IQ boost when downscaling compared to native but I don't know how it can be worked out what the native res is.

The question then becomes why was IGN using a PS4 that was outputting at 720p, why did they not know and how can we be sure that other publications did not have the same issues?

How about if IGN's capture device (not the PS4 itself) was set to 720p, and then IGN upscaled that video to 1080p? Would that explain it?

Sounds like the most logical option too.
Ocams razor and shit..

ref

PR suicide if it's still 720p at this point...

We got Infinity Ward saying it's native 1080p.

Videos so far indicate 720p for SP.

IGN notices a difference in resolution on both XB1 and PS4, others say there's no difference.....

Seriously, how is this possible...

Rainy Dog

What about the button prompts? I've not watched the videos so don't know if any actually feature, though.

MonaKyshu

Banned
its silly when reviewers are trying to limp in on moderns trends when they know fuck all about what people are really talking about

sTaTIx

There are some differences, but both look quite incredible with the PS4 version having a softer look with less aliasing, and the Xbox One version having better texture/art detail (mostly due to the fact that it doesn't have the slight blur that exists on the PS4 version, and the PC version doesn't have this blur either) and the appearance of a more aggressive form of lighting. I mean, pick your poison. Each side has its ups and downs, not much to brag about. I would say the PS4 version simply presents less clearly visible distractions to the game's final presentation, and if only for that reason alone, I would probably lean towards the PS4 version, but I wouldn't exactly call it a slam dunk.

Okay, even if we buy into your assertions that the PS4 version isn't substantially better than the Xbox One version in both image quality and framerate consistency (which we don't), it still serves as harbinger of what to expect in ALL future multiplatform comparisons. A 60-100% increase in pixel density is nothing to sneeze at, and other multiplatform games won't have the "soft" form of AA that BF4 on PS4 *currently* has (in its review build) to give Xbox fanboys straws to grasp onto; they will simply look cleaner and sharper on the PS4, period.

Trust me when I say this: You WILL notice a massive, drastic difference in clarity and detail when true 1080p comparisons are made between Xbox One's 720p and PS4's full 1080p in Call of Duty: Ghosts' multiplayer mode (possibly single-player as well, but this is unconfirmed). There is no amount of overdone edge sharpen filters or crushed blacks that can hide the fact that you're running at less than half the number of pixels as the competition.

Outside of that, every other game has been more or less indistinguishable between the two systems to the point that to even find any differences, you really have to engage in some serious nitpicking. Assassin's Creed looks pretty fucking amazing on the Xbox One
Only impressions of what the Xbox One version of that game is like came from Jeremy Conrad, and they weren't flattering (hints of reduced resolution, as well as "strained" performance): http://www.examiner.com/article/ass...g-ps4-and-xbox-one-native-resolution-compared

Game is always internally rendered at 1080p. It would be downscaled/downsampled effectively to be displayed in 720p.

Do you have a link proving that's the case with COD: Ghosts? because the images say otherwise.

When a game is rendered at 1080p and down-sampled to 720p, there are less jaggies. PC gamers do this all the time to get sharper edges. That's simply not the case here.

Faddy

Banned
1080 down-sampled would look better but there is like no reason to do that.

Yes there is. If your TV is only capable of 720p and developers aren't targeting multiple resolutions. The game will internally be at 1080p then downscaled. Would this give rise to the same aliasing, I don't know, as it would explain the IGN video.

To clarify, PC gamers don't downsample 1080p to 720p (Unless they have a 720p monitor :p) What's typically done is downsample 1440 or higher down to the resolution that their display supports. This effectively gives them a sharper less aliased image.

If the game was internally rendering at 1080p and was being downsampled to your display, it should look better than the one rendered internally at 720p, especially when displaying on a 1080p HDTV.

ref

I don't know, I just find it hard to believe all these gaming websites have 720p footage, it being some mistake...

Doesn't the PS4 automatically detect the appropriate resolution your HDTV has when you boot it up since it's connected via HDMI. How can you possibly have the incorrect setting for something that's automated?

Hesemonni

Banned
I feel sorry for the general public who have even less clue of what's happening resolution wise [than GAF] and are at the mercy of company mouth pieces.

coldfoot

Banned
Staggering that no one has checked them out. My Target already has Ghosts for next gen, if only I had a PS4 already, I could check it out.

ref

Staggering that no one has checked them out. My Target already has Ghosts for next gen, if only I had a PS4 already, I could check it out.

I think by the end of the day today we'll have some more news, Ghosts is widely available for PS4 almost everywhere, Taco Bell people get PS4's today I think.

We should know by the end of the day what's going on, or at least impressions from at least a couple Gaffers. Or at least, I hope.

Is there a summary of this thread?

I'm really lost here.

Here you go:

Video footage captured at the review event of Ghosts seems to show the PS4 version running at 720p upscaled to 1080p in single player.

Infinity Ward are standing by it being 1080p native.

Many reviewers said they couldn't see a difference, and we questioned them. Many reviewers said they looked markedly different.

No reviewer said the game looked like it was running at 720p upscaled to 1080p.

Right now we don't know for certain that the game is 1080p native in both SP and MP on PS4. I'd strongly suggest however that it is. Rubin's posts on the matter would make zero sense if it isn't.

Right now we don't know if the reviewers saw the PS4 game running in 720p upscaled or at 1080p native. I'd say that one is a toss up.

Right now we don't know why the videos captured at the event look the way they do. That's the part we have absolutely no idea about.

jond76

Banned
I feel sorry for the general public who have even less clue of what's happening resolution wise [than GAF] and are at the mercy of company mouth pieces.

Shiiiit. They'll probably think both versions look super good and not sweat the little stuff like most here do.

Sean*O

I already have the game, if I had the system I could tell immediately and post that shit here. Someone must be in a position to test this by now.

Frodo

Here you go:

Video footage captured at the review event of Ghosts seems to show the PS4 version running at 720p upscaled to 1080p in single player.

Many reviewers said they couldn't see a difference, and we questioned them. Many reviewers said they looked markedly different.

Right now we don't know for certain that the game is 1080p native in both SP and MP on PS4. I'd strongly suggest however that it is. Rubin's posts on the matter would make zero sense if it isn't.

Right now we don't know if the reviewers saw the PS4 game running in 720p upscaled or at 1080p native. I'd say that one is a toss up.

Right now we don't know why the videos captured at the event look the way they do. That's the part we have absolutely no idea about.

Thank you so much.

erbazzone

Neo Member
Exactly. Either the game has a 720p mode (which should perform much better than 720p on XB1) or it should downsample (which is obviously not the case in those screenshots).

One plausible option is that the game has a 720p mode which renders natively, and that's where the captures are from, but the performance impressions are from 1080p.

This could explain why Killzone SF has the same problem.
Following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH5wzsYogYk

AeONC0O.png

It seems to be at 720p.

These are two screeshot at the same zoom of a native BF3 1080p (left) and KZ (with artifact on the right).

tp0Ji6S.png

I dunno because the multyplayer of COD ghost on PS4 is at 1080p native...

Faddy

Banned
Here you go:

Great summary.

This issue could be solved right now if a review site posts a 1080p video or screens of PS4 single player. Once that happens it is easy to tell if it is native 1080p or upscaled

stew

If they reviewed the game running at 1080p native for both modes, I'm wondering why there isn't any journalist that noticed the resolutions differences between the game and the capture.

a916

I could have swore the PS4 captures video at 720P...

Portugeezer

Strange. Maybe it does have a native 720p mode if you set your TV to 720p?

Otherwise, the PS4 version is either 720p (at least the SP) or those are the same version...

Orca

Why didn't the reviewers question the weird visual similarity between Xbox One and PS4? Because there's no way a 1080p video will look like 720p video
upscaled to 1080p

Polygon did. It went really well for them around here.

Sakura

I could have swore the PS4 captures video at 720P...

Even if the video is captured at 720p, the game should still internally be being rendered at 1080p, and thus not have the same level of aliasing. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Top Bottom