• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters secures Formula 1 License

acm2000

Wax Free Vanilla said:
No it's not.

EA in the past has shown that it can produce enjoyable single seater racing physics. Codies on the other hand have continuously failed since they introduced single seat racing cars in TOCA Touring Cars 2. The console version for me is a non-start, and I can only hope the PC version is mod friendly, so the REAL F1 fans can go to work on it.

pc has F1 sims, go use them, even the F1GP series is still going strong with mods etc

Really wish this license wasn't handled exclusively any more, it's good for no one. There's not been a decent F1 game since 2002, coincidentally the year that Geoff Crammond released his last F1 game.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I'm interested to see who is actually working on this.

Oh, that reminds me... Why the hell am I still not playing GTR-360? Come on E3, give me some good news!

bj00rn

Banned
I love Dirt, and Grid is promising, but I still got to say:

Uh oh...

A F1 game in my mind: One hell of a physics engine and 60fps.

The F1 car in GT5P is awesome (Even though it provoked some glaring flaws in the racing-physics of GT5P), good feel, and good graphics, so I'm a little worried about the license going to Codemasters which is clearly on the arcadey side of racing and not a dev like f.ex. PD (Although they seem unable to implement damage...), or especially Turn 10 which already has an awesome physics engine in Forza 2.

I don't know, I'm just saying...

I just wish the license was not exclusive...

acm2000

dk_ said:
What? :D

Codemasters just ruined the Race Driver series.

how? there hasnt been a new race driver since RD3, GRiD is not a continuation of RD, its a continuation of DiRT, they dropped "race driver" from its name for a reason

USC-fan

Banned
I swear to god if they turn f1 in to some arcadey bullshit, I will cut someone.

Fucking great, been waiting 2 years for a new f1 game and we get this...... :(

acm2000

Kbsmoker said:
Fucking great, been waiting 2 years for a new f1 game and we get this...... :(

get what? i wasnt aware theyd said it was gonna be an arcade game, or even said ANYTHING at all, chill :lol

Haunted

So that's why they were able to scoop up the SEGA racing guys.

dk said:
Codemasters just ruined the Race Driver series.
Codies has more than one team. And I hope there's still sim-blood left in some of them. You know I'm an optimist. :D

acm2000 said:
how? there hasnt been a new race driver since RD3, GRiD is not a continuation of RD, its a continuation of DiRT, they dropped "race driver" from its name for a reason
uh, it's called Race Driver Grid. That's why many fans are a bit disappointed.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Haunted One said:
So that's why they were able to scoop up the SEGA racing guys.

Codies has more than one team. And I hope there's still sim-blood left in some of them. You know I'm an optimist. :D

uh, it's called Race Driver Grid. That's why many fans are a bit disappointed.
Indeed, and they also have the Sega Racing Stuio, which, while they made an Arcade racer for Sega, is a more than capable team.
Anyway, I think the quality of this game hinges more on the marketing execs at Codies rather than the dev quality, the talent is certainly there, but if the big cheeses want to pull a "GRID" on us, then us F1 fans are screwed.

Not bad news, it might do Codemasters good to develop a more focused racing game.

Then again I've hated all F1 games on consoles since F1 97 which is still the best.

Pimpwerx

About damn time. I just hope they go as sim as they possibly can. F1 does not need another cheesy arcade game. Just revive Namco's Ace Driver for that. I hope they can get the full driver licenses. That's been a major problem with every F1 game to date, though I personally rejoiced when it was just Jacques pompous ass who refused to allow use of his name. :D PEACE.

Niks

Not very good news..... :/
Arcadey F1??

Man if the touring BMW in GRID brakes from 260 to 0 km/h in a second.... how will an F1 behave with the same physics??

:(

nli10

Excellent news. Best company to have the license, although they do hate Nintendo formats... Pretty sure I have a codies F1 game on my Amstrad CPC!

Now Codies, make sure you have all the drivers and all the current cars from the current season (hello Sony), including test drivers as they might make an appearance as main drivers later in the season.

Give us all the races and drivers from the past 2 seasons too, not necesarily the cars as you'd have to model them as extra.

Pay Murray Walker what ever it takes.

And give us unlockable Schumacher, Senna, Lotus, Minardi and as much other F1 history that you can pack in.

Seems that most developers think that F1 is all about simulating cars going round in circles and don't appreciate the depth and history of the sport. Please use F1 fans to develop and test.

nli10 said:
Give us all the races and drivers from the past 2 seasons too, not necesarily the cars as you'd have to model them as extra.

The cars are going to look very different next year due to the new aerodynamics restrictions, so there's not much point in including past season data unless they're going to do it properly (i.e. including previous car models).

h3ro

Damn... that kind of sucks. I think the only dev house that could pull off the kind of Formula 1 game I'd want is Polyphony Digital. NO racing game developer has put that kind of attention into building/replicating the cars physics model like PD has. Driving the F2007 in GT5:p was as close to what I would imagine driving one of those things would be.

We can't guess what this game is going to be like, but if they are using the Dirt/Grid engine... blah... here comes the bloom... ridiculous center pivot physics...

:/

oh, and arcadey F1 game? wat.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Niks said:
Arcadey F1??

Man if the touring BMW in GRID brakes from 260 to 0 km/h in a second
.... how will an F1 behave with the same physics??

:(

Overreaction total.

2mf0pc5.gif

Threi said:

Haunted

nli10 said:
And give us unlockable Schumacher, Senna, Lotus, Minardi and as much other F1 history that you can pack in.

Seems that most developers think that F1 is all about simulating cars going round in circles and don't appreciate the depth and history of the sport. Please use F1 fans to develop and test.
oh, hell yeah.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
h3ro said:
Sorry, should have clairified. In the Console space that is.. :D

Atleast Kimi led the second practice session this morning....

In that case, IMO the FM2 physics engine is superior. Even with the improvements they have made with GT5p.

*EDIT*
Both are great engines, games and all of that. I have no preference or bias. I love cars. I love everyone.

h3ro

Router said:
In that case, IMO the FM2 physics engine is superior. Even with the improvements they have made with GT5p.

*EDIT*
Both are great engines, games and all of that. I have no preference or bias. I love cars. I love everyone.

Hey man, I'd welcome Turn 10 making the F1 game too. Come on Che, moneyhat Codemasters!

I love both games as well, but I started my sim racing on GT, so Polphony will always be first in my <3 :p

Gozan

rogue_pigeon said:
Really wish this license wasn't handled exclusively any more, it's good for no one. There's not been a decent F1 game since 2002, coincidentally the year that Geoff Crammond released his last F1 game.

This. Get Sir Geoff onto this, snappish!

Unless he's working on a new Stunt Car Racer.

...Or Sentinel.

bee

Router said:
Too much bloom and brown. :lol

yes because racing sims are all about the graphics and pc games aren't highly configurable to personal tastes...

tehbear

Wait do I infer correctly that Grid took 350 people to make? That seems like a lot... for that pile of shit.

Router said:
Too much bloom and brown. :lol

Holy shit this makes Dirt look like a dark rainbow... WTF.

h3ro said:
Damn... that kind of sucks. I think the only dev house that could pull off the kind of Formula 1 game I'd want is Polyphony Digital. NO racing game developer has put that kind of attention into building/replicating the cars physics model like PD has. Driving the F2007 in GT5:p was as close to what I would imagine driving one of those things would be.

We can't guess what this game is going to be like, but if they are using the Dirt/Grid engine... blah... here comes the bloom... ridiculous center pivot physics...

:/

oh, and arcadey F1 game? wat.

GT5P was the first game in the series to get it right. PD have to prove themselves still. BTW, I liked the physics of GT3.

tehbear said:
Wait do I infer correctly that Grid took 350 people to make? That seems like a lot... for that pile of shit.

Holy shit this makes Dirt look like a dark rainbow... WTF.
Just look at the related vids you lazy bastards.

Ranger X

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Meh, it's been YEARS i'm not playing any good F1 game. Looks like the trend simply will continue. But still, fuck codemasters.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
PjotrStroganov said:
GT5P was the first game in the series to get it right . PD have to prove themselves still. BTW, I liked the physics of GT3.

wut ? and who need to prove themselves ? PD as in Polyphony Digital ? :lol :lol :lol

sorry but this is the worst pure fucking bullshit i read in this whole fourm

qirex

Totobeni said:
- Dirt/Grid Engine ? srsly ? Epic Fail , for $15 million at least make a new fucking Engine that let us actually handel the freaking cars .
I don't think you understand how game licensing works very well. If anything a megabuck license is used as an excuse to cut as many corners as possible to keep the budget sane.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Totobeni said:
wut ? and who need to prove themselves ? PD as in Polyphony Digital ? :lol :lol :lol

sorry but this is the worst pure fucking bullshit i read in this whole fourm

Its an opinion. No more bullshit than someone thinking PD have had perfect physics throughout the GT series.

Ranger X

CrapSandwich said:
Codies are the best. Dirt was fantastic and the Grid demo is amazing! Go Codies go!

Man you would have made them babies if you'd knew they were ALOT better as a dev before...

Top Bottom