• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters secures Formula 1 License

Pimpwerx

Ranger X said:
Man you would have made them babies if you'd knew they were ALOT better as a dev before...
Heh, I agree. But I can't fault Codies since their games weren't as successful as they should have been in the old mold. Competing against GT wasn't exactly working out so great for them. I have faith that they still have the chops, and I hope they bring F1 as a sim, or at least a challenging and fun racer. PEACE.

Totobeni said:
wut ? and who need to prove themselves ? PD as in Polyphony Digital ? :lol :lol :lol

sorry but this is the worst pure fucking bullshit i read in this whole fourm

I hope you actually played some (semi) realistic racing games besides GT4. Before GT4 physics weren't realistic. They felt awesome but realistic they were not. GT4 was the first step in the right direction when it comes to realism. In the end I think I enjoyed the semi realistic physics more but I understand that KY wanted the series to go in the direction they went. Hardware limitations and certain gameplay elements made the whole experience less enjoyable for me than previous games in the series. And yes I've played them all. However, now they entered the realm of PC-sims. At least, when it comes to realism(the only thing I've been talking about so far). They need to prove themselves. Trust me.

Ontopic: I've never liked the physics in the Race Driver games. They just felt too sticky to be comfortable with. After having played the demo of GRID, I felt that this stickiness had actually been amplified. The cars having no weight to them seems to be a good explanation for this. So with or without taking GRID and DIRT into consideration, I am very sceptical of CM making an F1 game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Router said:
Its an opinion. No more bullshit than someone thinking PD have had perfect physics throughout the GT series.

there is nothing perfect in gaming , and iam not talking about GT4 or GT5:p , but you think that Polyphony Digital as a developer still need to ""prove"" themselves in this very genre and that that my friend is just bullshit and crazy .

Totobeni said:
there is nothing perfect in gaming , and iam not talking about GT4 or GT5:p , but you think that Polyphony Digital as a developer still need to ""prove"" themselves in this very genre and that that my friend is just bullshit and crazy .

Again, was not talking about that. I was hinting at physics and realism.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Totobeni said:

Comprehend a post before responding that it is bullshit.

PjotrStroganov said:
I hope you actually played some (semi) realistic racing games besides GT4. Before GT4 physics weren't realistic. They felt awesome but realistic they were not. GT4 was the first step in the right direction when it comes to realism. In the end I think I enjoyed the semi realistic physics more but I understand that KY wanted the series to go in the direction they went. Hardware limitations and certain gameplay elements made the whole experience less enjoyable for me than previous games in the series. And yes I've played them all. However, now they entered the realm of PC-sims. At least, when it comes to realism(the only thing I've been talking about so far). They need to prove themselves. Trust me.

Ontopic: I've never liked the physics in the Race Driver games. They just felt too sticky to be comfortable with. After having played the demo of GRID, I felt that this stickiness had actually been amplified. The cars having no weight to them seems to be a good explanation for this. So with or without taking GRID and DIRT into consideration, I am very sceptical of CM making an F1 game.

I'm waiting to see what kind of effect the SRS guys will have on the focus of the team. Even though they did make Sega Rally Revo, I was always highly impressed when they talked about physics, differences between games and such.

gtmax

amar212 said:
I wouldn't call it sliding - it's just not natural to drive with central pivot as a turning point.

You can't even do a propper 360 that way, at tleast with the wheel. Must admit I didn't bother to try GRID with controller. But, having central pivot point for turning point is very bad in terms of simulational physics.

GRID would be 5 times better and "simulational" if the turning point would be on the spot where axle is infact pushing the car towards turn. Central Pivot was something that games had long time ago, when you just didn't have resources to calculate movement for every wheel and corresponding mechanic that affects movement-physics.

So, my hopes goes to true turning point for F1 game - and all other Codemasters driving games in future.

Exactly. Let's illustrate it:

sim_thum_02_01.gif

as opposed to this:

sim_thum_02_02.gif

"2. Comparing with other racing games

Usually in racing games, "drive, turn, and stop" are directly being controlled by the accelerator, steering, and brakes respectively. In Enthusia, each of these are controlled just like real cars. The car's movements change according to the friction on the tires. "

avaya

People who can not make good racing games should not be allowed the F1 license.

F1 car's are not milk floats.

Only sensible decison for the F1 license is the old duo of either Bizzarre and Psygnosis (Sony Liverpool, when those two voltron = F1 '97!) or Polyphony.

Visualante said:
I don't think people understand what Codemasters are trying to do with GRID.

I'd imagine people are iffy on it considering they said this about the physics

How realistic are you going to make the driving model? Will it be more simulation like Forza or more arcadey like PGR?

We’ve gone for as accessible a handling model as we felt comfortable with on default settings – we want everybody to be able to pick up the controller and enjoy the way the car feels. So I guess the answer to your question is that our handling is towards the PGR end of the spectrum. However, for those who like their car handling more challenging there are a number of handling assists which can be turned off – like Traction Control, Anti-lock braking and steering assists – in order to make the experience much more realistic.

http://www.wonderwallweb.com/article-286-Developer-Interview-Race-Driver-Grid.html

It's not realistic at all with the aids off.

GHG

Gold Member
They better not fuck this up. If they drop the arcade shift and make it more sim orientated it could be great.

F197 is still the best console F1 game. A decade later...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GRAN TURISMO IS D0000M3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least with these F1 cars we will be able to race them online as opposed to GT5's ONE F1 car that is limited to offline only :lol

Seriously though it would have been nice to see either Studio Liverpool retain the license, or someone like Blimey or ISI snatch it up. Hopefully they don't fuck it up too much. Though I can't help but wonder what it'll be like to drift F1 cars around the 'ring arcade style :lol

Now if only we can get Namco to announce RR8 for the PC!

isamu said:
GRAN TURISMO IS D0000M3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least with these F1 cars we will be able to race them online as opposed to GT5's ONE F1 car that is limited to offline only :lol

i was racing the f1 car online the other day in gt5 - it's awesome. :D

isamu said:

Polyphony are actually able to secure F1 cars through the automakers.

It would have been better if Activision acquired the licence and handed the project over toe Bizarre Creations. This will be the worst F1 game since F1 '98.

Pachael

monkeylite said:
What is Geoff Crammond doing now? Codemasters ought to poach him.

Truer words were never spoken. The Grand Prix series was really well done, and F1 racing is far lesser without it (at least as a reference point). The F1 bosses aren't really interested in game quality, just who can stump up the most cash for their license. Oh well :)

gtmax

The real question is, will another cookie cutter F1 sell better than a hardcore Simulation?

Melbourne's House F1 wasn't bad but the handling was made for using the digital pad on the ps2 as opposed to a wheel or even the analog.

I would pay 200bucks to play LFS on my ps3. Make it happen Sony. Let me play PC games on ps3.

Kittonwy

Banned
amar212 said:
If they continue to stick with Central Pivot Point as in GRID, it's going to suck a bit.. But othervise - great news!

Sony rejected Berine's "offer" of +15 million dollars PER SEASON for the licence. So, that's the price I guess.

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3492883,00.html

There's no way they can sell enough copies to make that back, we're looking at $20-25 million per title and that is IF they're being thrifty with the development budget, and the title would have to sell at least a million. I would love for Liverpool to have more than one IP but business decision-wise I think Sony did the right thing.

bj00rn

Banned
h3ro said:
Damn... that kind of sucks. I think the only dev house that could pull off the kind of Formula 1 game I'd want is Polyphony Digital. NO racing game developer has put that kind of attention into building/replicating the cars physics model like PD has. Driving the F2007 in GT5:p was as close to what I would imagine driving one of those things would be.

Driving the F1 car in GT5P was great to a certain extent, but the physics are noticeably flawed. F.ex. already in the first turn on the High-Speed Ring in GT5P you can actually ACCELERATE from about 315 km/h to about 335 km/h when keeping your car left and with your wheels ON THE GRASS. ..Very uncanny valley. And don't get me started on the lack of damage.

I'm sure PD could fix it for a proper F1 game though, and better than CM..

With that said, I too am worried about the Dirt team handling a F1 license. I remember when another dev, Bizarre Creation, made casual gamer F1 games; Not a pretty sight when it came to physics and simulation.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Doc Evils said:
Cool so this will the first F1 game to handle like shit and drive like it's on ice!

Awesome!

F1 with 4-Wheel Steering System (4WS) , crazy soup on marble floor like handling , Mario Kart am cry confirmed :lol

Kittonwy said:
There's no way they can sell enough copies to make that back, we're looking at $20-25 million per title and that is IF they're being thrifty with the development budget, and the title would have to sell at least a million. I would love for Liverpool to have more than one IP but business decision-wise I think Sony did the right thing.

that why they didn't even want to make new Engine for it instead they just decided to use Grid/Dirt Engine , but even with that and even with Multiplat they can't bring profit here , $ 15mil per year is too much and F1 games sells decent on Europe only .

as for SCE Studio Liverpool new IPs (The Protector ) and more WipEout FTW , that F1 license hold them way too long , and with GT, WipEout and Motorstom now they should go for new stuff .

GHG

Gold Member
bj00rn said:
Driving the F1 car in GT5P was great to a certain extent, but the physics are noticeably flawed. F.ex. already in the first turn on the High-Speed Ring in GT5P you can actually ACCELERATE from about 315 km/h to about 335 km/h when keeping your car left and with your wheels ON THE GRASS. ..Very uncanny valley. And don't get me started on the lack of damage.

I'm sure PD could fix it for a proper F1 game though, and better than CM..

With that said, I too am worried about the Dirt team handling a F1 license. I remember when another dev, Bizarre Creation, made casual gamer F1 games; Not a pretty sight when it came to physics and simulation.

Urm they had 2 modes in the same game. Arcade (with timed checkpoints) and simulation.

GHG said:
They better not fuck this up. If they drop the arcade shift and make it more sim orientated it could be great.

F197 is still the best console F1 game. A decade later...

BLASPHEMY!!!

Grand Prix Legends is the best F1 game ever made, followed by GP4.

-Rogue5-

After Dirt and playing the GRID demo I believe this can only be a good thing. GRID really captures a next-gen-ness that few other arcade racers come close to... It's all in the camera jostle.

Afrikan

IMO. I'm pretty sure F1Ce will look better and play better than Grid engine based F1 game.... so I ask...

how is it in Europe as far as exclusivity.... can Sony Liverpool still support F1ce with dlc or patches that can benefit those who want to continue play F1ce next season (as if its F1ce 09).....and maybe even new gamers who pick up F1ce because there is a chance that it might be the best F1 game on the market at that time.....

hopefully they can add voice chat, at least after a race..... because F1ce online is so F'n fun.... its unfortunate you have to type how u feel after you pass someone on the last turn to win a race....

Goldrusher said:
What we want:

96204.jpg

What we'll get:

2007kartrace1400.jpg

:lol :lol

Awesome!

I wish either Bizarre or Sony had the license, or maybe Turn10? Would've been interesting to see what they could've done with the license but hopefully this is still good.

I have faith... at the moment.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So, assuming the GRID team have just finished up GRID, they're going to have - what - 12 months, 18 at the max to get an F1 game out the door?

Afrikan

Silly.Mikey said:
The F1 game on ps3 was crap. Thank god they got the license.

now thats just a silly thing to say....

but now at least you get a chance to play a F1 game though.....right?

Truespeed

Silly.Mikey said:
The F1 game on ps3 was crap. Thank god they got the license.

Utter nonsense. Formula 1 Championship is one of the best console F1 games, if not the best. Just because you keep getting spanked by people with G25's and no driver aids doesn't mean you have to be so harsh on the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
People think Formula 1 Championship not good , or it's bad because they can't afford another system ?

Afrikan said:
now thats just a silly thing to say....

but now at least you get a chance to play a F1 game though.....right?

lets see

posts history
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2400375
( thanks to all mighty cats that his post history is short )

Silly.Mikey said:
This guy has been a Sony fanboy from day 1. I don't believe anything he says.

Silly.Mikey said:
The only way to really beat your rival is by not supporting them. Kinda like Google does against MS. They don't use ANY Microsoft products at all.

If MS use BluRay, i don't how they'll beat Sony. Thats kinda like validating everything they've done.

these are all of his posts on Sony related news , the rest all about Halo and Gears , so ya know :lol

FightyF

Banned
Router said:
At the very least its going to look great.

At 30 fps. :(

Oh what could have been...

What's up with F1 handing out exclusive licenses? Unless you're an entertainment brand such as a TV show, wrestling, movie, comic...there should be some flexibility in sports licenses in order to get the most exposure. I mean, can Codemasters create an F1 DS or PSP game? How about PC? Come to think of it, they probably have hit all those (not sure about PSP), but my point is: by not going exclusive you can choose your devs/pubs and hit more platforms.

Ughh..
Anyone that says F1CE was crap obvoiusly has never played the title.
The people who've had issues with the game are probably playing with all aids on or suck at the game and are playing with all Aids off.
The beauty of F1CE was that you could tune it to your skill level, and you could adjust a few of the aids in the middle of a race which helped a lot when the tire wear was kicking in.
Best F1 (console) game since '97 and in some respects even better.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
FightyF said:
At 30 fps. :(

With teh BLUR! :D

CurlySaysX said:
Ughh..
Anyone that says F1CE was crap obvoiusly has never played the title.
The people who've had issues with the game are probably playing with all aids on or suck at the game and are playing with all Aids off.
The beauty of F1CE was that you could tune it to your skill level, and you could adjust a few of the aids in the middle of a race which helped a lot when the tire wear was kicking in.
Best F1 (console) game since '97 and in some respects even better.

Driving AIDS on F1CE are horrid. The game damn near plays itself for you. Much much better with them off. People complaining about GRiD need to play F1CE with all the aids turned on.

tyler

cjelly said:
So, assuming the GRID team have just finished up GRID, they're going to have - what - 12 months, 18 at the max to get an F1 game out the door?

It's a 2009 season game, with the season ending in October. Hopefully we'll hear something around the time of the first GP (end of this month) as to when the game is coming.

Chris R

Is anyone thinking of picking up the Wii version of this when it comes out in November (supposedly)? The video of it didn't look TOO bad (compared to say, a certain mature racing game on the Wii) and I really could use just about anything to hold me over until the game comes out on the PS3/360 after playing the F1CE demo on my PS3 last night, as I doubt GT5 will be out this year and even if it did come out, it wouldn't have the tracks :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_IRrea9Ms if you haven't seen it (yes the pit stop is horrible)

rhfb said:
Is anyone thinking of picking up the Wii version of this when it comes out in November (supposedly)? The video of it didn't look TOO bad (compared to say, a certain mature racing game on the Wii) and I really could use just about anything to hold me over until the game comes out on the PS3/360 after playing the F1CE demo on my PS3 last night, as I doubt GT5 will be out this year and even if it did come out, it wouldn't have the tracks :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_IRrea9Ms if you haven't seen it (yes the pit stop is horrible)

Looks so empty

Top Bottom