• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coke Zero Is Dead. Long Live 'Coca-Cola No Sugar'

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't tell the difference for any real purpose. If it came in a regular Zero container I wouldn't know.

Maybe the new one is less likely to give me whatever disease I am developing from drinking this stuff.

Diet coke = Equal
Coke zero = Ace-K
That's the main difference to me. I'm sure the formulas are different but the main thing I taste in those is the sweetener used. That being said, Zero Sugar does something with the finish of the taste that almost eliminates the sweetener aftertaste and is basically 99% of the way there to Coke Classic. It's amazing

Diet Coke was a rebranding of Tab after Coke bought the company, just like Coke Zero Sugar is a rebranding of Coke Zero (any difference in taste is a placebo, the ingredients are the same).
A quiche and an omelet have the same ingredients but they're not the same. Zero sugar 100% tastes different than regular Zero.

Its been so long since I had a regular Coke. To me Coke Zero Sugar taste like a mild regular Coke? Possibly a little watered down but the BIG revelation is it doesn't have the science experiment aftertaste that EVERY single diet soda has. It's smooth finish and mouth feel is much closer to a regular soda. Something that has bothered me for years in diet soda.

I hope that makes sense.
Agreed; the finish was the first thing I noticed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not a fan so far of Coke No Sugar. Tastes like a "low energy", flat coca-cola classic.

There's a bite in the taste of Coke Zero that is missing in this new forumla.

DonShula

No Sugar has been anointed in my household.

I may even stop buying the real sugar Mexican Coke now. I feel like there's so little difference that there's no reason to waste the 150 calories per bottle.

Not a fan so far of Coke No Sugar. Tastes like a "low energy", flat coca-cola classic.

That's the main reason I hated Zero.

Alfredo

I just started watching my calories and tried both Coke Zero and Zero Sugar, and I vastly prefer Zero Sugar. This stuff is good. I just need places like Whataburger to get it in their soda fountains...

DOWN

Banned
It is worse than Zero it poured in a glass because it has less of the bite that Coke and Coke Zero have so it comes off like flat Coke that lost the carbonated bite, but chilled and sipped from the can it tastes even more like real Coke.

So overall Coke Zero Sugar is a win

kirblar

It is worse than Zero it poured in a glass because it has less of the bite that Coke and Coke Zero have so it comes off like flat Coke that lost the carbonated bite, but chilled and sipped from the can it tastes even more like real Coke.

So overall Coke Zero Sugar is a win
My experience w/ it was through a soda fountain. The bite is very much there in that form.

Zero315

Banned

Yep, it tasted oddly flat and a lot like Diet Coke. I miss that bite.

Went to Kroger, no Zero as they are transitioning to Zero Sugar. They said sometime this week.

It pissed me off so bad because I grabbed a bottle of what I thought was Coke Zero in the checkout line, turned out it was the Zero Sugar. Their packaging is super deceptive because unless you look at it from the front it just looks like a bottle of Coke Zero.

I just tried it in the metal bottle. It takes like a slightly-flat Coke. I compared it to an original Coke Zero and there is a distinct difference in mouth-feel and taste. Zero Sugar has tiny carbonation bubbles and a smoother feel, while Zero has a bite. I'd given up soda for the past couple of months, and I am really full and bloated now. I don't think I'll be picking up the habit again.

breh when's pepsi 1 coming back

Well, I would for Pepsi One. Still mad they discontinued it.

kirblar

I just tried it in the metal bottle. It takes like a slightly-flat Coke. I compared it to an original Coke Zero and there is a distinct difference in mouth-feel and taste. Zero Sugar has tiny carbonation bubbles and a smoother feel, while Zero has a bite. I'd given up soda for the past couple of months, and I am really full and bloated now. I don't think I'll be picking up the habit again.
The carbonation bubbles are a bitch. I can't have it in large amounts because of em.

onken

I saw in Japan they have Coke Plus now (designed for fat reduction after meals, seemingly)... Maybe that's what they will replace Zero with permanently. Though it tastes basically the same from what I can tell.

I've been looking for this thread. After a week of drnking this new stuff, I think I'm switching to diet coke. At first I couldn't tell the difference from the original zero and had the sensation it was sweeter-tasting. After a few more sips throughout the day it started to feel flat and empty, and the sweetness had no bite to it.
Couple of days later I see a 2l of the original, give that a sip and yeah, this is the real shit right here. It's crisp, fresh, fills that void. Originally coke zero drew me in because it was the diet coke that was closer to regular, but I was a fan of it immediately. This new zero sugar stuff isn't doing it for me atm.

I love this stuff. I was pissed upon hearing the news and figured they'd shit up the formula, but I honestly can't tell the difference between this and regular coke. That is based on my memory of it though, last time I drank coke was last July and 100 pounds ago.

So I decided to check it out. I don't drink soda anymore, and this hasn't changed my mind (I mostly drink water for health reasons).

Those saying this doesn't taste like diet are absolutely crazy. From the very first instant it touches your tongue it SCREAMS aspertame (both my wife and I agree). Where it does better is completely removing the after taste which is by far the worst part of aspertame. So instead of a horrible artificial sweetener taste in my mouth for minutes after each sip, it's replaced with a very even, if a little flat, taste.

I tried it both warm and cold, and of the two it tastes better warm... but warm soda isn't very appealing in general.

I will not seek out this as a regular drink because as I said above, I gave up soda a couple years ago. That said, when the desire does strike as it sometimes does, I wouldn't be against having a glass of this versus zero and definitely miles ahead of diet.

Teggy

I got a couple of the little aluminum bottles from the supermarket and those tasted great over ice. Then I got one of the 20oz plastic bottles from the store fridge and it was meh. So I don't know what I think right now.

Neverfade

Just had my first taste.

Been a zero drinker for a while.

Fuck Coke Zero. This is the real deal.

Now where's my Vanilla version?

tbm24

I had some this week. 100% better than Coke Zero. All the Zero products left a very unsavory aftertaste that would really get to me. This doesn't, it's great.

Finally tried it. It's fucking worse then Zero in every way. I absolutely hate Diet Coke and this isn't much better. Why the hell did they have to ruin a good thing.

I can't find it in caffeine free, so looks like I'll have to go back to regular caffeine free Coke. Bummer.

At least I grabbed the last pack of zero's they had at Target during the hurricane prep rush.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It tastes largely the same. Maybe marginally sweeter. I could directly compare since I have both in my house, I suppose.

Tastes about the same except with a nasty Diet Coke style aftertaste. Don't really consider it an improvement in flavor if I feel like I've been sucking on a penny after I drink one.

Davey Cakes

Interesting how the opinions are divided.

I had some the other day and I think I'm fine with it. Not far off from Coke Zero.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Interesting how the opinions are divided.

I had some the other day and I think I'm fine with it. Not far off from Coke Zero.

It mainly feels like a completely unnecessary change. I wasn't looking for something that tasted more like Diet Coke.

I contacted Coke about the bad new flavor, and this was their response BTW.

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company, Mr. Freshmaker. We appreciate your interest in our Company.

We appreciate your feedback and will share it with the appropriate internal team. Coca-Cola Zero will be replaced by Coca-Cola Zero Sugar in stores nationwide this August. We have other reduced- and no-calorie Coca-Cola options like Coca-Cola Life or Diet Coke that we hope you’ll try and enjoy.

Should you have additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us again.

I like how they listed non options. If I could tolerate Diet Coke, I wouldn't be drinking Coke Zero in the first place. If I wanted sugar, I'd just get regular Coke, and skip Coke Life since it's not zero calories. (Coke Life's easily the most pointless product Coke makes IMO.)

My real choice is CZ or tap water. It's not moving to a shittier Coke product.

Bizazedo

Exactly how I feel. Buddies asked me how the new stuff was, all I could say was "dull".

Top Bottom