• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola Zero To Be Replaced With Zero Sugar In U.S.

New formula that's been rolled out around the world is coming to America.

Code:
[img]http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/5978a46b5d8a2f25008b56cb-538/coke-zero-sugar.png[/img]

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/coca-cola-to-replace-coke-zero-in-us-2017-07-26

Although both diet sodas are sugar-free and contain the same artificial sweeteners, Coca-Cola said the Zero Sugar recipe tastes more like original Coke and looks more like it, too, with a red circle on cans and bottles in contrast with Coke Zero's black design.

The retooled name is intended to better communicate to consumers that it contains no sugar, as municipalities across the country implement taxes on sugar-sweetened beverages. Both Coke Zero and Zero Sugar are sweetened with aspartame.

Stock up if old.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'll stock up and wait it out until they remember that canceling a popular brand didn't work out so well for them in the past.

bigkrev

Yeah, the whole *point* of Coke Zero is that it tastes nothing like Coke- it has a bitter taste instead of a sweet one.

I'm going to guess they will never actually phase out Coke Zero, as this new product won't last

Guess Who

Banned
As long as it basically tastes the same, fine, whatevs.

Yeah, the whole *point* of Coke Zero is that it tastes nothing like Coke- it has a bitter taste instead of a sweet one.

I'm going to guess they will never actually phase out Coke Zero, as this new product won't last

Coke Zero to my tongue tastes almost exactly like Coke but with aspertame (and the difference that entails) rather than sugar.

Jeremy

Coke Zero and especially Cherry Coke Zero are both pretty good. Hope this doesn't wreck the flavor.

How did I not know about Cherry Coke Zero?!?

Coke Zero was the only thing (besides Root Beer) keeping me drinking sodas. Sounds like there won't be much change but I feel like this is gonna help me break drinking sodas permanently.

Except for root beer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So whats the catch with these zero calories/zero sugar drinks? Are artificial sweetners bad for losing weight? gaining weight?

there has to be a catch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I know taste is subjective but this is madness.

The actual stated point and intent of Coke Zero was to get a more "normal" tasting zero calorie cola in market without disrupting Diet Coke completely and thus ameliorate risk.

It's supposed to taste like regular Coke and is a pretty reasonable facsimile.

Matt

That's actually not the point of Zero. It was always supposed to taste more like Coke Classic without the calories, unlike Diet Coke which is similar to the New Coke taste.

Ashhong

That is not the point of it at all..

Guess Who

Banned
So whats the catch with these zero calories/zero sugar drinks? Are artificial sweetners bad for losing weight? gaining weight?

there has to be a catch.

the main catches are "aspertame has a bad aftertaste that takes a while to adjust to" and "people will hound you with a million studies about how aspertame will give you cancer, cause you to gain even more weight than sugar, and how any drink other than pure water is basically suicide"

Ravelle

Branding is pretty dumb you guys.

I also don't like the taste of Zero sugar coke while zero sugar orange Fanta is pretty much fine.

kirblar

That's actually not the point of Zero. It was always supposed to taste more like Coke Classic without the calories, unlike Diet Coke which is similar to the New Coke taste.
Yup. Of course it would taste more bitter, it's based off current Coke instead of New Coke.

I assume that they think this is a flavor upgrade, but the transition will be rough.

ghostmind

They changed the name in Canada back in February, but kept the Coke Zero recipe.

So I guess Canada becomes a source for Coke Zero if they pull it from US shelves?

Volimar

How did I not know about Cherry Coke Zero?!?

Coke Zero was the only thing (besides Root Beer) keeping me drinking sodas. Sounds like there won't be much change but I feel like this is gonna help me break drinking sodas permanently.

Except for root beer.

You might like A&W Ten.

border

I thought it was long since revealed that this is little more than a re-branding of Coke Zero? Like, this is literally the same product with a different name.

Occam

It has already been replaced in Europe and Australia. Tastes better than the old Zero.

Don't stock up on the old stuff, the new Zero is indeed better.

Don't drink soda too often, but I always liked Coke Zero when it came to "diet" sodas.

Nothing beats sugar though. That sweet sweet soda made from sugar and not corn syrup.

I don’t get it, if it uses the same sweeteners, how will it taste “more like regular Coke”? The sweetener is the thing making it taste different. I’ve never been able to switch to Coke Zero because of that.

JaseMath

I drink a soda a day. Coke Zero's always been kinda eh for me—Coke Life is where it's at. If I have to drink diet, it's Diet Dr. Pepper.

PDP_CokeLife_12.png

Dice//

Banned
There are so many versions of these and I really want one to succeed (that isn't Diet Coke).

Coca-Cola is my coke addiction.

smurfx

get some go again
don't drink soda these days but i remember diet coke being so freaking nasty. i tried drinking it when i tried to stop drinking soda and it was so terrible it made me just drink water and sparkling water instead.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

there has to be a catch.

You get a bunch of overwrought hand wringers with no evidence telling you you're killing yourself. Other than that, it's perfectly fine.

I drink a soda a day. Coke Zero's always been kinda eh for me—Coke Life is where it's at. If I have to drink diet, it's Diet Dr. Pepper.

PDP_CokeLife_12.png

Coke Life makes no sense to me. It has sugar so it's still terrible for you and then it adds other sweeteners for no good reason. (Seriously the low carb Coke that just reduced the sugar by half tastes exactly the same so what the fuck does the Stevia even add?)

I'm down. I've gotten soured on CZ's taste lately that I switched to Diet Dr Pepper.

Diet Dr Pepper is so gross to me. It tastes hollow... Like the carbonation is so extreme you're drinking pure bubbles. Dr Pepper Ten is fantastic, but there's only one Publix supermarket near me that stocks it. Nobody else does. The whole 'Ten' line is really good.

Top Bottom