• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coke Zero Is Dead. Long Live 'Coca-Cola No Sugar'

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It tastes largely the same. Maybe marginally sweeter. I could directly compare since I have both in my house, I suppose.

Davey Cakes

I enjoy Coke Zero Vanilla and Coke Zero Cherry quite a bit.

Hopefully the Zero Sugar versions don't mess with the flavor too much.

DonShula

Longtime Diet Coke drinker who recently stopped due to headaches. Never really liked the Coke Zero aftertaste but grew to accept the Diet Coke aftertaste and even crave it on occasion.

Coke Zero Sugar is the truth IMO.

It tastes better than both Diet and Zero and doesn't have much of an aftertaste. They really pulled off something impressive in my eyes.

I've started buying a Coke product again.

Edit to add my disclaimer: I haven't had regular old Coke in years and hate the taste of it now - too sweet. Every so often I'll have a real sugar Coke and like that just enough in small quantities. But otherwise I stick to diet soda only.

Chojin

I tried this a week ago. It seems sweeter to me but not unbearably so. It's drinkable. I'll just get used to it or drink coke zero classic if that becomes a thing.

EvB

Why is Coke Zero better than Diet Coke?

It was never intended to be better, it was created because Diet Coke had been so intensely marketed to Women, they knew that they could also sell a sugar free version to men. Something that Pepsi MAX was fairly sucessful at,

The new formula is amazing. It's really so much closer to actual Coke. If you still have both, try them at the same time. They're surprisingly different.

Good job, Coca Cola.

Jeff-DSA

Coke Zero gives me a messed up stomach and the craps. I can't drink the stuff. It tastes better than Diet Coke, but man, it's not worth the toll to ride that road.

emag

It was never intended to be better, it was created because Diet Coke had been so intensely marketed to Women, they knew that they could also sell a sugar free version to men. Something that Pepsi MAX was fairly sucessful at,

Diet Coke is/was also not formulated to taste like Coca Cola, but rather a new drink altogether -- one that was later turned into the massive flop that was New Coke/Coke II -- whereas Coke Zero was formulated to approximate the taste of Coca Cola (Classic).

CS_Dan

They also taste very different

I poured a glass for my mom who drinks Coke Zero and didn't tell her. She thought I accidentally poured a full sugar Coke! Lol

Don't get me wrong, people who only drink full sugar won't be fooled but us diet only people.. this is like a revelation.

Coke has a winner on its hands!

Griss

I think there's a very mild but still noticeable improvement over the Coke Zero formula here, and I much prefer the red/black branding to the all-black one.

This is a winner from Coke, imo.

Diet Coke is/was also not formulated to taste like Coca Cola, but rather a new drink altogether -- one that was later turned into the massive flop that was New Coke/Coke II -- whereas Coke Zero was formulated to approximate the taste of Coca Cola (Classic).
Diet Coke was a rebranding of Tab after Coke bought the company, just like Coke Zero Sugar is a rebranding of Coke Zero (any difference in taste is a placebo, the ingredients are the same).

I poured a glass for my mom who drinks Coke Zero and didn't tell her. She thought I accidentally poured a full sugar Coke! Lol

Don't get me wrong, people who only drink full sugar won't be fooled but us diet only people.. this is like a revelation.

Coke has a winner on its hands!

So it tastes as good as regular coke? I never liked the taste of Coke zero or diet Coke.

I tried Pepsi Zero Sugar yesterday. Not bad, not bad at all. Now if they could make this with Stevia instead of Aspartame I would be happy. :/

So it tastes as good as regular coke? I never liked the taste of Coke zero or diet Coke.

Its been so long since I had a regular Coke. To me Coke Zero Sugar taste like a mild regular Coke? Possibly a little watered down but the BIG revelation is it doesn't have the science experiment aftertaste that EVERY single diet soda has. It's smooth finish and mouth feel is much closer to a regular soda. Something that has bothered me for years in diet soda.

I hope that makes sense.

emag

Diet Coke was a rebranding of Tab after Coke bought the company, just like Coke Zero Sugar is a rebranding of Coke Zero (any difference in taste is a placebo, the ingredients are the same).

TaB was developed in-house. It also had a significantly different composition (saccharin-based) and taste (very fake/chemical-ish) than the later Diet Coke. TaB's still sold today, although the formulation has certainly changed since the 1960s.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Really depresses me how many people like the new version, when I find it blander and flatter. My hopes of seeing a New Coke cancellation are fading fast. : (

Seriously, can't stand the new stuff.

After having another cup of it and after swearing by diet pepsi for years this new coke keeps tasting even better and I just can't get over how yummy it tastes, couldn't stand coke zero. Certainly going to have to pick some more up next week.

Has this hit fountains yet? I grabbed one a fountain drink today and used the Coke Zero tap but it sure tasted like the new formula.

Does this have the stuff that supposedly gives headaches in it?
Never noticed if Zero actually did(or felt affected if it did) but Diet Coke definitely gave me headaches before I stopped drinking it.

Really depresses me how many people like the new version, when I find it blander and flatter. My hopes of seeing a New Coke cancellation are fading fast. : (

Seriously, can't stand the new stuff.

I know that feel man :(

I've warmed up to zero sugar, but I don't like the sweeter taste so I got downgraded for no reason.

bigkrev

I've now tried this a couple of times (all I can find are the 6 packs of miniature cans), and while I don't hate it, it doesn't taste anything like Coke Zero to me. The best comparison I can come up with is Diet Pepsi before they took the Aspertame out of it? Its way sweeter than Coke Zero, which I always found to have a bitter taste which no other Soda (diet or non) provided

It's a strict downgrade from Coke Zero, but not enough of one that I will quit drinking Coke products when Coke Zero finally dries up from shelves

Persona7

Banned
On second thought I'm not sure. It almost tastes watered down. Got a few cases of zero from Costco.

Has this hit fountains yet? I grabbed one a fountain drink today and used the Coke Zero tap but it sure tasted like the new formula.

The logo was updated on freestyle machines but it tastes like the old formula. Probably going to take a while for stock of syrup to run out.

Kumquat

Coke zero with cherry is the bomb.

As someone who does not drink regular sodas we need more selections for diet sodas, not less!

FyreWulff

was talking to my mom on the phone last night who drinks coke zero like it's water, told me the new zero tastes like sadness. lol (i've been off caffeine for the last few months, so i'm not gonna try it myself)

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
On second thought I'm not sure. It almost tastes watered down. Got a few cases of zero from Costco.

The logo was updated on freestyle machines but it tastes like the old formula. Probably going to take a while for stock of syrup to run out.

WATERED DOWN.

THAT'S what it is. That's the description I've been looking for.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Tried the Coke Zero Sugar today. Definitely tastes more like Coke Classic than Coke Zero does. Pretty good overall, but to my non diet pop drinking taste buds lol, i can still taste that "diet pop" aftertaste even though it's very slight.

Please don't tell me you think aspartame causes cancer. Please tell me it's just a matter of taste.

Not that I'm aware of. Some studies suggest that chronic usage of Aspartame, Sucralose, and Saccharin may adversely affect gut flora. A few smaller studies also linked use of the aforementioned artificial sweeteners to blood glucose spikes while the subjects were fasting. I haven't seen anything suggesting these adverse effects with Stevia to date.

AlexBasch

It's funny how many people think I'm sick or on a special diet because I pick Coca Cola No Sugar as my drink.

Shit, it tastes awesome, that's why.

It's funny how many people think I'm sick or on a special diet because I pick Coca Cola No Sugar as my drink.

Shit, it tastes awesome, that's why.

The best is when I grab a diet soda in the work cafe and some fat ass makes a comment to me about cancer. This happens probably twice a month.

Davey Cakes

Coke zero with cherry is the bomb.

As someone who does not drink regular sodas we need more selections for diet sodas, not less!
I agree, The entire Fanta line should be done in diet. I can't believe we still only have orange Fanta Zero, when there are other flavors like Blueberry, Cherry, Grape, and Pineapple.

was talking to my mom on the phone last night who drinks coke zero like it's water, told me the new zero tastes like sadness.

I like your mom. Yeah, I said it. :)

WATERED DOWN.

You know, I once heard a Coke exec describe Coke as 'the bite, and the burn'. THAT was Coke Zero. The new stuff has no burn.

TDefinitely tastes more like Coke Classic than Coke Zero does.

Yeah, if they were going for consistency across the brands, then it's a success. But some of us don't want it to taste like Coke Classic.

I like your mom. Yeah, I said it. :)

You know, I once heard a Coke exec describe Coke as 'the bite, and the burn'. THAT was Coke Zero. The new stuff has no burn.

Yeah, if they were going for consistency across the brands, then it's a success. But some of us don't want it to taste like Coke Classic.

Yes this. There's no bite/burn to it to the new formula. It's kinda like drinking coke that's going flat. I don't think it's terrible but I liked the old coke zero better. The taste of the new zero sugar also has a much milder kola nut and spice taste and tastes more sweet. So less flavor and more just of a sweet taste. It actually does a worse job at hiding that it's aspartame and not sugar because it's more prevalent imo.

But because of the lack of bite/burn, less kola nut/spice taste, and stronger sweet/aspartame profile I feel like this is farther away from coke classic which is the opposite of these things.

adelante

Love the new Zero Sugar. Getting closer to the original Coke Taste without the profound aspartame aftertaste that came with Coke Zero (glad that shit is dialed down)

Just had the new Coke Zero last night, and yeah it definitely tastes closer to Coke. For those that prefer the Zero taste, you'll probably be miffed, but I think it's going to be good for those who want to curb their Coke/calorie consumption and didn't like the aftertaste that came with Zero.

Ferny

I was a big Coke Zero drinker. Loved the stuff.

Bought a 12 pack of the new one. Can't taste the difference but that could just be me lol

Top Bottom