• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coke Cola performs another shitty reformulation of one of their classics

I love Coke Zero.

Regular Coke tastes too flat.
Diet Coke just tastes horrible.
Coke Zero is the hotspot. Mmmhhh.

Popped into Waitrose to grab a can and behold, Coke have decided to do another one of their pointless reformulations.

NEW Coke Zero tastes more like regular coke. Doesn't quite have that spank and bang to it.

And maybe their recent diversity training got to the logo designers as well.

They attempted the same thing with New Coke and that was a commercial failure. Expect the original formula to return within the next year or two.

New_Coke_can.jpg

Here in the US they already made a change to Coke Zero a few years ago, I wonder if this is yet ANOTHER change, or if the UK is just now getting that change?

I remember at first not liking the new formulation, but since then it has stuck.

Honestly Coke Zero is great and the fact it is zero calories is pretty insane given the flavor. Very glad they came out with the brand because I had stopped drinking soda for years before they did.

Here in the US they already made a change to Coke Zero a few years ago, I wonder if this is yet ANOTHER change, or if the UK is just now getting that change?

I remember at first not liking the new formulation, but since then it has stuck.

Honestly Coke Zero is great and the fact it is zero calories is pretty insane given the flavor. Very glad they came out with the brand because I had stopped drinking soda for years before they did.

Curse of any company is having a "Change Manager" especially in IT. Always pushing for things to be changed. Even if the current software is working perfectly...fiddle fiddle. Change. Change.

Trogdor1123

Coke Zero is pretty good I agree. Hope it's better but I'm not holding my breath

The Pepsi and cokes with stevia are good too and so is Pepsi zero.

Skyfox

I had a burger King meal before pandemic and it had coke zero and plant meat burger.

It wasn't awful as a combo. It felt oddly like eating air.

Fake food man. Welcome to the future.

Motherfudster. We never got that.

fried chicken yes GIF by KFC UK

I've still got one 12-pack left. It was amazing while it lasted.

All the special flavors of drinks got cut back during the height of COVID becuse there was an aluminum shortage. I'm just now seeing Cherry Coke Zero come back. Hoping Orange-Vanilla is next.

It's not Coke, but the Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry and Diet Dr. Pepper Cream Soda were wonderful too, and I haven't seen them back yet. I hate Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi, though, and it never went away. Their cherry flavoring has a bitter aftertaste for me.

Anyone in the US ever try this?

OK Soda

OK Soda was marketed as the anti-Coke for cynical Gen-Xers who were listening to bands from Seattle and were jaded toward advertising. It might have been seen as the "anti-corporate" choice, yet it was still manufactured by Coca-Cola, and the demographic OK Soda was trying to target saw right through it.

Back in 1993, Coca-Cola thought it would be a stellar idea to re-hire the guy who launched New Coke in the 1980s, Sergio Zyman to bring OK Soda to life. The tagline, "Things are going to be OK," along with their commercials and marketing was something completely different for soft drink brands at the time. Sure, the commercials now look like something a freshman art school student would come up with six hours before their final is due, but over 20-years-ago this was pretty cutting edge.

OK had a brand manifesto with entries printed on cans such as,"What's the point of OK? Well, what's the point of anything?" The soda also had a user-generated campaign where consumers could dial 1-800-I-FEEL-OK. and leave messages about the soda and answer questions from a personality quiz. However, Coca-Cola soon learned that it's hard to be counterculture when you're a big corporation. The beverage was known more for their blase advertising tactics than the flavor of the soda, which has been described as unique and fruity with a hint of spice. OK Soda was only available in select markets — it didn't receive a nationwide rollout before it was discontinued in 1995.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/60683/soft-drinks-totally-forgot-existed/?utm_campaign=clip

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
At one point in my life I went through a zero-sucrose period.
During that time, I managed to delude myself that Coke Zero tasted exactly like regular Coke.

I was so, so wrong.

Regular Coke rules. Last time I tasted Zero it tasted exactly like the artificial shit it is. The aftertaste is horrendous.

JimboJones

They keep trying to make it look like regular coke, it's gone from the black label COKE ZERO to Coca Cola! Zero
Feels like they are hedging their bets in case they are forced to take regular coke suger syrup of the shelves.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Weird to reformulate something that was impossible to find not that long ago.

My favorite flavor is caffeine free Coke Zero and that’s still hardly distributed. Like a few 12 packs at Target and that’s it.

I completely gave up soda except for an occasional diet root beer from Culver’s because of all the shortages.

Last edited:
This was shockingly good didn’t know it was discontinued

IDK if it was discontinued or just scaled back due to the aluminum shortage so the regular SKUs (regular Coke/Diet Coke/Coke Zero, etc.) could get focus. I'm hoping the latter. It was supposed to be a Summer 2018 thing, but it was in stores through January 2020 before aluminum started getting scarce. I'm fairly certain it was found to be a popular combination from the data they collect from the Freestyle machines, so it should still be profitable.

OnionSnake

Banned
IDK if it was discontinued or just scaled back due to the aluminum shortage so the regular SKUs (regular Coke/Diet Coke/Coke Zero, etc.) could get focus. I'm hoping the latter. It was supposed to be a Summer 2018 thing, but it was in stores through January 2020 before aluminum started getting scarce. I'm fairly certain it was found to be a popular combination from the data they collect from the Freestyle machines, so it should still be profitable.
Yeah I don’t like regular Coke much but Coke Zero is great and the vanilla orange even better. Let’s hope!

Exactly.

Here are the only acceptable beverages for any functional adult:
Water and Booze.

Sure, drink literal poison (booze, not water) instead of modern artificial sweeteners that have been proven to be biologically inert time and time again.

I'm all for drinking water, coffee, and tea mostly, but I love some good sugar-free sodas. Especially cherry and vanilla flavors.

Alcibiades

I like Coke and Caffeine-Free Coke (the non-diet version).

Don't like the taste of Diet Coke or Coke Zero, not sure why.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Raven117

Jokes on me, tho:

So sorry to hear about this. I'm glad you are still with us!

Im still going to make jokes about booze though. :)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know if formulations are different by country, but in Canada, Coke changed the formula of their standard red can Coke years back to be 20 calories less by reducing sugar (carbs) about 5 grams. Used to be 160 calories, now 140.

Tastes crap. Only Coke product I like is Cherry Coke (it comes and goes here) and Coke Zero. All that vanilla stuff is gross.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Coke is alright as a mixer, but if I’m going to drink sugary water I’ll take horchata before I come near any aluminium can.

It was in Japan and Romania during Summer 2020. In Romania they also have this, it's made by one of the local Coca-Cola bottling plants:

ksZvaX9.jpg

Pine and apricot, blackberry and juniper, apple and elderberry :pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:

Raven117

I don't understand why anybody would voluntarily drink plain water.

OT: Pepsi Max >>>>>>>>>>>> any form of Coca-Cola
Because soft drinks are for unwashed masses.

Water, tea, coffee, booze (see soft drinks for what you can put in booze), sports drinks only after a HARD workout, not a 20 minute walk.

Thats it folks. Anything else you are an unsophisticated child-like cretin.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does Coke Zero still taste like artificial sweetener? Everyone raved about how good it taste, but all I taste is shitty fake sugar taste. Not as horrible as Diet Coke, but still no where near as good as real Coke.

Quasicat

Does Coke Zero still taste like artificial sweetener? Everyone raved about how good it taste, but all I taste is shitty fake sugar taste. Not as horrible as Diet Coke, but still no where near as good as real Coke.
This was me when they first introduced it. I’m tempted to try it again if it has been reformulated. I just don’t care for the chemical aftertaste. I wonder if they still sell Vanilla Coke Zero, I could never find it except for the one time I saw it.

Update: Looks like Vanilla Coke Zero is at my local Walmart. 🤔

Last edited:
I can't tell if these threads are fake outrage or people really have such things to worry about in their lives.

jack nicholson shut up GIF

And outrage update, had my first alcohol drink in 6 months mixed with Nu Coke to put up with Ex's borish friend who visited last night and tripped over Aircon wire and fractured my nose. Fuck 2021.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
Picked up a couple of 2L bottles of this new stuff as it's on offer - they've objectively made it worse.

Old Zero had quite a nice sharp taste to it, this is a lot closer to a flatter Pepsi Max, but with a nasty soapy, foamy aftertaste.

I'll stick to Pepsi Max Cherry next time.

Top Bottom