• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - Ghost Stories - May 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintyb

Banned
Parachutes and Rush of blood have been the only Coldplay albums I've enjoyed. Hopefully this one is close to the greatness of those two.

Servbot24

Banned
Horrible song. Still, 2 out 3 ain't bad.

Also fuck Avicii. Seriously. Get that Calvin Harris bullshit out of here. I don't even see this making much radio noise, it's way too plain even by top 40 standards.

Lima

This will be their best album yet. I can feel it.

Not a single song bad so far. The range alone on this 9 track album will be pretty crazy with Coldplay of old and new, plus experimental stuff like Midnight.

Blader

Eh. Magic and Sky Full of Stars are the kind of poppy, Mylo Xyloto stuff that soured me on them.

Midnight, Oceans and Always in My Head are really nice though.

Mononoke

Banned
I know Chris Martin has always written simplistic/cheesy lyrics. But is it just me or has it gotten worse in terms of the repetition?

EDIT: I have to say though, I sure love A Sky Full of Stars. I'm a sucker for uplifting pop anthems. This hits all the right notes. :)

bud

"a sky full of stars" sounds like your average summer pop song. it's not entirely bad, but eh...

love "magic" and "midnight," though. hoping the rest of the album is more like those songs.

Blader

I know Chris Martin has always written simplistic/cheesy lyrics. But is it just me or has it gotten worse in terms of the repetition?

I mean, on Parachutes he rhymed lost with lost... I don't think he's really gotten any better or worse with that.

Mononoke

Banned
I mean, on Parachutes he rhymed lost with lost... I don't think he's really gotten any better or worse with that.

Good point. Maybe I'm just getting burnt out on it. Strangely, I still enjoy their music (their overall sound, and Chris's vocals). I've just been kind of meh on his lyrics lately for whatever reason. Even though he's always been weak in that department.

Mononoke

Banned
I've really enjoyed the songs released so far, but what in the sam hell is this? It's seriously one of the most generic songs I've ever heard =( That damn beat is god awful.

Is it anymore generic than most of the singles off of Mylo? I mean, I agree it's pretty safe in terms of the composition. But so was Every Tear.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Oceans is great, so good it could have been lifted fromparachutes or robtth, I love the acoustic numbers, shame they have been found wanting the last few albums

Mononoke

Banned
Good tracks!

Yeah, every single track has grown on me a lot. I actually really like Sky Full of Stars now. I'm getting more and more excited for this album the more I hear things from it. I wasn't a big fan of Mylo but really loved Viva La Vida.

Mau ®

The album is up for streaming on iTunes.

Always in my head is perfect. I think this could be their most cohesive album.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Listening now, first song is amazing

Mr Cola

2nd and 3rd songs not into, 4th is amazing again

Tone of this album is incredibly relaxing so far

Mononoke

Banned
Just finished my first listen. I personally liked it front to back. I wasn't a fan of Mylo at all, but this is a great record for the band IMO. I know not everyone will like it though (since it's a very mellow/stripped down album).

Tugatrix

Just finished my first listen. I personally liked it front to back. I wasn't a fan of Mylo at all, but this is a great record for the band IMO. I know not everyone will like it though (since it's a very mellow/stripped down album).

I agree, this is an album much more appealing to the ones who love Parachutes or AROBTH most

Mononoke

Banned
I agree, this is an album much more appealing to the ones who love Parachutes or AROBTH most

Agreed. Outside of Sky Full of Stars though, there aren't that many sweeping/anthem tracks. Even AROBTH had In My Place, Clocks, God Put A Smile On My Face (more upbeat/rock tracks).

This album is a very mellow/stripped down record for the most part. But I love how the tone of the album carries throughout. "Ghost Stories" is such a perfect title for it.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Can this be streamed on an Apple TV? I'd like my first listen to be on proper speakers.

chris121580

Man, this is real solid. This is their best flowing album since Parachutes. The songs really work well together in the order they placed them

Mononoke

Banned
Kind of a strange album to release at this point in their career. I don't see it selling that well. Or at least, it won't have a long lasting impact/sales. Album is pretty low key, and doesn't have that many huge hits. I guess Sky Full of Stars + Magic is enough to carry it? For a band that appeals to such a large market, I'm not sure how this kind of record would sit with most of them.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me. Because I like the album a lot.

Sai-kun

Banned
At this point in their careers, I'm like 95% certain that they could release anything they wanted, and probably aren't bound to the whims of company execs.

Mau ®

They arent touring this album or doing much of anything for it. Word has it they're working on a more "commercial" follow-up for next year as well as a "big" tour.

This is basically fan service for the Parachute fans.

Mononoke

Banned
Done listening, and I still think nothing tops Magic on the album.

Always In My Head is better IMO.

EDIT: But damn, not by much. Magic is really great isn't it? It's better in the context of the album. I like it more than I did before. True Love is really fantastic too. I'm really going back and forth between "Always In My Head", "Magic", "True Love" and "O" as my favorite track.

Tugatrix

For me O is the best song, so emotional. Most of the songs of the album are very personal about Chris current personal life.

Sai-kun

Banned
Mau ®;111678646 said:
They arent touring this album or doing much of anything for it. Word has it they're working on a more "commercial" follow-up for next year as well as a "big" tour.

This is basically fan service for the Parachute fans.

Source on this? Just need to know so I can stop saving up money for their show ;P

Mau ®

Source on this? Just need to know so I can stop saving up money for their show ;P

It was on their BBC Radio 1 interview. I forget the name of the program but it was a lenghty interview.

I caught the part where Chris said "We are not touring this record. It just wouldnt feel right". Then he said stuff about how they tried to make it happen but it was "expensive" due to the stage they had in mind needing about 4 million dollars per show to assemble.

Mononoke

Banned
Mau ®;111679837 said:
It was on their BBC Radio 1 interview. I forget the name of the program but it was a lenghty interview.

I caught the part where Chris said "We are not touring this record. It just wouldnt feel right". Then he said stuff about how they tried to make it happen but it was "expensive" due to the stage they had in mind needing about 4 million dollars per show to assemble.

That actually makes sense. A lot of their current tour dates are at small venues. They usually play stadiums. Sounds like they want this album to be a more intimate affair (both the sound and tour). That's pretty cool actually. I think this is their best material since AROBTTH, so I'm glad they took a break from being a bombastic/anthem pop rock group.

I actually loved Viva La Vida though. I'm just glad they dialed it back for this release. Some of the slower tracks on Mylo were some of the best things on that record.

Sai-kun

Banned
Mau ®;111679837 said:

I could agree with this. Definitely not as much of an arena/stadium-filling album. I'd love to see them at a smaller venue as well.

Finished my first listenthrough and...I like it! I'm not sure where I rank it yet, but these are my rankings pre-GS

VLV
MX
Parachutes
AROBTTH
X&Y

I think I see GS fitting in around Parachutes.

U2NUMB

I am really LOVING the vibe of this album... love that they took a chance and went against a real commercial album. Bravo boys... might end up being your Zooropa :)

jtb

Banned
streaming on iTunes? I'll have to give it a listen. really liked Oceans of the songs they released up until this point

the sky full of stars song is garbage. really really generic stuff there. but the rest i'm liking. much better than their last album (their worst)

Mononoke

Banned
Sky Full of Stars grew on me. I know it's a generic/pop track, but I think it's catchy, and I like Martin's vocals on it. The beat is definitely garbage. Eh. But what I don't get is, the song really does not fit with the rest of the album at all. It kind of sounds like a left over from Mylo (which I agree was their worst album). So I'm kind of torn on it. Because I've come to like it for what it is, I just find its placement odd on the album.

As far as ranking the album, I hate doing that after only having heard it a handful of times. I always think first impressions are a bit exaggerated. But for the hell of it, I have to say I think this is their best album since A Rush of Blood to the Head. Personally...

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head.
2. Parachutes
3. Ghost Stories
4. Viva La Vida
5. X&Y
6. Mylo

Is how I would rank the album. And I'm someone that really loved Viva La Vida. But I prefer Ghost Stories more mellow sound to the stadium rock that was Viva La Vida (which had beautiful moments of its own). My favorite tracks are a toss up between:

Always In My Head, True Love, O and Oceans. Can't decide which track I like the most. Lyrics aren't always strong on this record, but I've never found Martin to be a good lyricist. SO whatever.

alex92

Neo Member
I think this album was him dealing with his personal issues. They are touring it but only doing 6 shows worldwide that are "intimate". UK gets London Royal Albert Hall.

I am enjoying this album, bit slow for me, but good. I much preferred Mylo. I love X and Y but coldplay seem to hate on it? not sure why, the hardest part is such a good tune!

Missed their last tour, so dying to see them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom