• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - Ghost Stories - May 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpick

Why isn't this album on Spotify? :/

I have a physical copy of every Coldplay album but I won't be able to go to the store until later today..

So if anyone is wondering, the mastering of the album seems to be the same for the CD, the Mastered for iTunes version, and the HDTracks version.

The dynamic range is pretty bad, but there's little-no clipping. It looks like even with the HDTracks version, the higher frequencies are almost brick walled at 21kHz.

Empty

i like this so much. very beautiful, way more subtle than i was expecting. i can't rank albums till i spend way more time with them, but it's really promising and exciting.

What's the deal with albums coming out on Mondays now? Last Monday I woke up to my Chromeo preorder ready to download, today it was Coldplay. Why aren't these coming out on Tuesdays?

Mau ®

Album is out worldwide.

It's doing really good. But that's expected for a Coldplay first week.

Album: Ghost Stories

#1 United States (=)(+1)
#1 United Kingdom (=)(+1)
#1 Australia (=)(=)
#1 Austria (=)(=)
#1 Azerbaijan (=)(+2)
#1 Barbados (=)(+85)
#1 Belarus (=)(+1)
#1 Belgium (=)(=)
#1 Belize (=)(+72)
#1 Botswana (=)(+7)
#1 Brazil (=)(=)
#1 British Virgin Islands (=)(+3)
#1 Bulgaria (=)(+26)
#1 Canada (=)(+1)
#1 Cayman Islands (=)(+35)
#1 Cyprus (=)(+61)
#1 Czech Republic (=)(=)
#1 Denmark (=)(+2)
#1 Egypt (=)(+1)
#1 Estonia (=)(+2)
#1 Fiji (=)(=)
#1 Finland (=)(=)
#1 France (=)(+3)
#1 Germany (=)(=)
#1 Greece (=)(+3)
#1 Hungary (=)(+1)
#1 India (=)(+1)
#1 Indonesia (+1)(+1)
#1 Ireland (=)(=)
#1 Israel (=)(=)
#1 Italy (=)(=)
#1 Jordan (=)(+4)
#1 Kazakhstan (=)(+31)
#1 Kenya (=)(+3)
#1 Latvia (=)(+3)
#1 Lebanon (=)(=)
#1 Lithuania (=)(=)
#1 Luxembourg (=)(=)
#1 Malaysia (+1)(+4)
#1 Malta (=)(=)
#1 Mauritius (=)(+1)
#1 Mexico (=)(+2)
#1 Moldova (=)(+1)
#1 Mongolia (=)(+118)
#1 Mozambique (=)(+1)
#1 Namibia (=)(+1)
#1 Netherlands (=)(=)
#1 New Zealand (=)(=)
#1 Nigeria (=)(+1)
#1 Norway (=)(=)
#1 Papua New Guinea (=)(=)
#1 Paraguay (+9)(+3)
#1 Poland (=)(=)
#1 Portugal (=)(=)
#1 Qatar (=)(=)
#1 Romania (=)(+3)
#1 Russia (=)(+3)
#1 Saint Kitts and Nevis (=)(+187)
#1 Saudi Arabia (=)(+2)
#1 Singapore (+1)(+1)
#1 Slovakia (=)(+1)
#1 Slovenia (=)(=)
#1 South Africa (=)(=)
#1 Spain (+2)(+2)
#1 Sweden (=)(+4)
#1 Switzerland (=)(=)
#1 Taiwan (+2)(+2)
#1 Trinidad and Tobago (=)(+2)
#1 Turkey (=)(+6)
#1 Uganda (=)(+31)
#1 Ukraine (=)(=)
#1 United Arab Emirates (=)(=)
#1 Vietnam (=)(=)
#1 Zimbabwe (=)(+55)
#2 Antigua and Barbuda (=)(+165)
#2 Argentina (+1)(=)
#2 Armenia (-1)(+193)
#2 Bahrain (-1)(+141)
#2 Bermuda (-1)(NE)
#2 Brunei Darussalam (=)(=)
#2 Costa Rica (+1)(=)
#2 El Salvador (-1)(+20)
#2 Honduras (+1)(+1)
#2 Kyrgyzstan (=)(+68)
#2 Peru (=)(+1)
#2 Philippines (+2)(+3)
#2 Sri Lanka (+93)(+77)
#2 Thailand (+1)(+1)
#3 Chile (=)(-2)
#3 Hong Kong (+2)(+2)
#3 Oman (-2)(+61)
#4 Macau (=)(=)
#5 Ecuador (=)(-1)
#5 Guatemala (-3)(+3)
#5 Uzbekistan (-2)(+125)
#6 Colombia (+1)(+1)
#6 Panama (+5)(+1)
#6 Venezuela (-3)(=)
#7 Bolivia (+14)(+4)
#7 Japan (+2)(+2)
#8 Nicaragua (=)(+21)
#9 The Bahamas (-1)(+108)

I'm quite liking this, although none of the tracks are really 'stand out' anthems like they've had in the past. It's similar to The King of Limbs in that respect.

Personally, I love their first two albums (and many of the b-sides from that era), and while there has been stuff to like on all the other albums, they sort of took a step away from what I loved about them so they were very hit and miss. This feels like more of a return from that, albeit a rather subdued one.

Meier

9 songs on the standard edition so a retailer exclusive can have 12? Smh.

What's the deal with albums coming out on Mondays now? Last Monday I woke up to my Chromeo preorder ready to download, today it was Coldplay. Why aren't these coming out on Tuesdays?

They've always come out on Monday in the UK. We usually just got them a day later.. I guess more global releases are happening now since so many sales are done digitally anyway?

linsivvi

I really like this but it also feels like a Chris Martin solo album, not really Coldplay. Very little drums throughout this thing. Either way, I think it's their best album since X&Y

Rankings:

1. AROBTH
2. Parachutes
3. X&Y
4. Ghost Stories
5. Viva

6. Mylo

The only ranking that makes sense.

9 songs on the standard edition so a retailer exclusive can have 12? Smh.

They've always come out on Monday in the UK. We usually just got them a day later.. I guess more global releases are happening now since so many sales are done digitally anyway?

9 songs totaling what, 40 or so minutes, is pretty weak, particularly when it's 2.5 years between albums.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm quite liking this, although none of the tracks are really 'stand out' anthems like they've had in the past. It's similar to The King of Limbs in that respect.

Personally, I love their first two albums (and many of the b-sides from that era), and while there has been stuff to like on all the other albums, they sort of took a step away from what I loved about them so they were very hit and miss. This feels like more of a return from that, albeit a rather subdued one.

I'll get shit for this, but I think this album is much better than the King of Limbs. I'm a huge Radiohead fan, and I always thought that album had rushed production. It felt very cheap. Plus, I think this album has a much better flow front to back. You can tell exactly what kind of experience they wanted for this record, and they nail it the entire way.

On a side note, I think Oceans sounds like Nick Drake.

Servbot24

Banned
I'll get shit for this, but I think this album is much better than the King of Limbs. I'm a huge Radiohead fan, and I always thought that album had rushed production. It felt very cheap. Plus, I think this album has a much better flow front to back. You can tell exactly what kind of experience they wanted for this record, and they nail it the entire way.

On a side note, I think Oceans sounds like Nick Drake.

Eh... I probably like TKoL a little better htan GS. I don't think anyone will give you shit for that opinion though. Coldplay have been better than Radiohead the last several years, plus both records are just not very good.

I wish Coldplay had stayed smaller. Seems like bands always lose their way once they've got zillions of followers blindly buying whatever shite they churn out. Coldplay were my special band, I followed them right from the beginning and it's crushing to hear what they've become. Viva La Vida was where it was obviously starting to go wrong, Mylo was a fucking joke and I can't bear to listen to it any more. At least A Rush of Blood and Parachutes will always be up there as two of my favourite albums of all time.

bud

I wish Coldplay had stayed smaller. Seems like bands always lose their way once they've got zillions of followers blindly buying whatever shite they churn out. Coldplay were my special band, I followed them right from the beginning and it's crushing to hear what they've become. Viva La Vida was where it was obviously starting to go wrong, Mylo was a fucking joke and I can't bear to listen to it any more. At least A Rush of Blood and Parachutes will always be up there as two of my favourite albums of all time.

this is actually a pretty "small" album to be honest, especially compared to the previous two.

Mononoke

Banned
Eh... I probably like TKoL a little better htan GS. I don't think anyone will give you shit for that opinion though. Coldplay have been better than Radiohead the last several years, plus both records are just not very good.

I'll be honest, The King of Limbs just never clicked with me. I really wanted to like it, and I always go back and revisit it. But the album (from a production point of view), feels so...rushed. I dunno. I'm just not a fan I guess of where Yorke's current taste in music is at, and don't particularly feel like the band is on the same page. I know I'm making big assumptions. But eh.

Don't get me wrong, I think TKOL has some really great tracks. I just think it sounds incomplete, and don't really like how it flows musically. It's almost like they took two EPS or 4 singles (with 2 tracks) and combined them to make a record. Like the album was recorded in different sessions. Apart of me always wondered if that was the case, because Yorke had previously expressed releasing new music in the singles format. And they released These Are My Twisted Words as a track single prior. But then maybe at some point they just decided to release it as one thing.

I don't really get this. I mean, I do if you are talking a bout Viva La Vida and Mylo. Viva La Vida was a stadium rock record. But GS to me, is pretty stripped down and mellow like Parachutes (save for a couple upbeat tracks like Ink or Sky Full of Stars). This album is pretty intimate. So I don't really get your sentiment with regards to this record.

But I will say, even bands that don't "make it big" often will disappoint fans, as it's very rare for a band to stay the same, or put out the same level of content throughout their career. It's just the way it is. And the reality is, most bands are going to change their sound as they get old, because they have different interest in music. So I think regardless if they had gotten big or not, there is good chance you would still have these complaints.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I haven't listened yet because I'm scared, but as someone who adored X&Y, Rush, and Death and All His Friends, but hated Mylo, will I like Ghost?

I wish Coldplay had stayed smaller. Seems like bands always lose their way once they've got zillions of followers blindly buying whatever shite they churn out. Coldplay were my special band, I followed them right from the beginning and it's crushing to hear what they've become.

Ghost Stories is a return to the intimacy you seek. It is easily the most insular, inward looking and stripped down since Parachutes. With the exception of 'Sky Full of Stars' and 'Ink', each song is as bare and devoid of distractions as you could find.

I'd actually almost describe it as selfish, it serves purely as a means for Chris to work through his sorrow. Songs like 'O', 'Midnight' and 'True Love' are heartbreaking.

"Tell me you love me, if you don't then lie"

:(

Servbot24

Banned
I'll be honest, The King of Limbs just never clicked with me. I really wanted to like it, and I always go back and revisit it. But the album (from a production point of view), feels so...rushed. I dunno. I'm just not a fan I guess of where Yorke's current taste in music is at, and don't particularly feel like the band is on the same page. I know I'm making big assumptions. But eh.

Yorke is an embarrassing old man now. Not gonna do anything worthwhile again most likely.

But he made the best album of all time so that's okay I guess. :p

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
True love is my favourite track now, seems the most personal and heartfelt, oceans a close second, seem

glaurung

After giving it a few more chances, this is now a very low blip on my Coldplay radar.

O is the only track that stuck with me. The rest is a set of forgettable wallpaper noise.

For shame.

Pavaloo

Yorke is an embarrassing old man now. Not gonna do anything worthwhile again most likely.

But he made the best album of all time so that's okay I guess. :p

nah he's still kicking ass ;P

as for the mentioned above flow of TKOL - it's a psychedelic album. it actually flows really nicely and is why they cut it down to only 8 tracks. the entire thing in tone/mood from bloom to feral, then from lotus flower to separator, is reminiscent of a shroom trip.

listened to ghost stories though. tried to get over MX. not feeling this one either tbh, but at least i'm not burned about it this time. i don't expect them to turn back into the band i loved

Blader

You should listen to the live versions, some of the songs are completely different (and better) beasts.

Personally I think it's one of their better sequenced albums, even if the first four tracks sound undercooked, especially compared to how they play live.

kmag

Listened to it a couple of times. Martin still writes terrible lyrics and the added drama doesn't help them all. The slower tempo of the tracks actually makes his clunkers stick out even more. One review put the lyrics on this album as the sort of lyrics a twilight fan fiction writer would come up with and while it's not that bad, they are uniformly terrible.

The best thing about Coldplay has always been Bucklands ever more desperate attempts to veer between being a knock off Edge to a knock off Johnny Marr and we don't even have that here.

It's like someone though the xx were still popular or something.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Martins lyrics have always been terrible, its something you can accept or not and luckily I can, the man makes great songs though, even if most people consider them middle of the road and safe.

I'm an amateur at this connoisseur stuff but I really enjoy the album. It's soft and peaceful, perfect for studying.

Midnight and O could put me right to sleep.

Mononoke

Banned
You should listen to the live versions, some of the songs are completely different (and better) beasts.

Personally I think it's one of their better sequenced albums, even if the first four tracks sound undercooked, especially compared to how they play live.

I saw them live 4 times that tour and I agree. The live versions are certainly better. I think it's interesting that you think it's a well sequenced album. To me, the first half and second half feel like different records, personally.

On a side note, I can't believe how hated this album is. Universally, critics think this is the worst thing the band has ever done. And here I'm thinking, this is the best thing they've done since A Rush of Blood to the Head. I really love every song on here, the only negative being Martin's lyrics (but they have always been awful. And some tracks like O have really good lyrics for once).

Druz

The only song I currently like is the Ghost Stories bonus. I feel like the structure is something actually memorable, I like the mood of the whole CD but it never picks up.

edit: forgot I loved Midnight

Mau ®

I'm kinda surprised at the lukewarm reviews too.

I'm ESPECIALLY surprised at the love they give Mylo Xyloto in those reviews. Really?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Mau ®;112776583 said:

I'm ESPECIALLY surprised at the love they give Mylo Xyloto in those reviews. Really?

Yeah, that is baffling. Whatevs music criticism is dumb anyway.

SpyGuy239

Album is fantastic.

Easily my favourite since A Rush of Blood To The Head.

Everything is cohesive, subtle and restrained. There is an undertone of sadness throughout, but also hope and reflection.

For me 'O' is the stand-out track, knowing that Chris has went through a recent break-up the song gave me so many parallels with my previous relationship.

Why Hello there =D

I love O so much as well, such a good song, almost wish it was longer and more fleshed out.

I like this album much much more than Mylo. I love mellow music.

Mononoke

Banned
Mau ®;112776583 said:

A lot of the reviews are really nasty. I'm actually really surprised by how much hate this album is getting across the board. I wonder what they want from them at this point? I guess to keep putting out stadium anthem pop songs or something?

Blader

I saw them live 4 times that tour and I agree. The live versions are certainly better. I think it's interesting that you think it's a well sequenced album. To me, the first half and second half feel like different records, personally.

Four times, fuck! I've never been able to see them. :( Though I did catch Atoms in Brooklyn last year, that was sick.

I think Feral --> Lotus Flower --> Codex form a nice throughline between the two halves.

Servbot24

Banned

Oh yeah, the live songs were great. Not sure what happened on the album.

I'd have to say it's their worst sequenced album though. The first 4 songs sound great together and the second half just sounds like odds and ends. I wish they had made a full album that sounded like the first 4 or 5 songs, that would have made it pretty interesting (though you're right that they're a bit undercooked).

I just want Radiohead to get their balls back, really.

Mr Cola

Like all great coldplay albums the more you listen the better it gets, Anothers Arms is on another fucking level.

DarkNtity

I really like this but it also feels like a Chris Martin solo album, not really Coldplay. Very little drums throughout this thing. Either way, I think it's their best album since X&Y

Rankings:

1. AROBTH
2. Parachutes
3. X&Y
4. Ghost Stories
5. Viva

6. Mylo

You and I could be very good ColdPlay friends.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This is now on Spotify, held off on listening to it for the longest time, but I love this album.

It's not very upbeat, but it's incredibly intimate and not a bad song on the album.

Favorite tracks are O, True Love, and Always in my Head

silverarcher

Neo Member
This has honestly been my favorite album out of all the genres that I listen to ever since it was released. I feel like I've never been disappointed by these guys - a song for every emotion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom