• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - Ghost Stories - May 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lima

I was in Cologne in the E-Werk at the end of April when they first played songs off this album. Was super fun and I liked the intimate setting (still 1000 people lol) more than their stadium tours. The sound was the biggest difference. It mostly sucks in stadiums.

amnesiac

I'm genuinely surprised at this album. After the obnoxious mess that was Mylo Xyloto, I didn't expect Coldplay to go back to a more non-commercialized sound.

The production is very strong on this album and sounds great. Aside from A Sky Full Of Stars, there's really no autotune. Oceans and Another's Arms sound great because of this. I also really love the sound of the electronic drums on this album. The tight clicks and pops on tracks like Always In My Head and Ink fit very well with the rest of the songs.

I love the atmosphere this album creates. Rather than that loud, annoying 'dayglo' thing Mylo Xyloto had going on, Ghost Stories is a dark, relaxing experience. The melodies of songs like True Love and O take me back to Coldplay's older albums.

I like Magic, however it's gotten old. A Sky Full Of Stars is probably the worst song on here, but hearing it in context makes me appreciate it a bit more. Would I have preferred a different song? Yes. ASFOS is the commercial hit of Ghost Stories. It's extremely catchy, features an impressive vocal performance by Martin, but is brought down by it's EDM and "wait for the drop" factor. Too much Avicii!

My favorites are True Love, Always In My Head, Midnight, and O. If you're a fan of Coldplay's first few albums, I think you'll enjoy it. Yeah, it's more electronic, but the production is great and the overall album ends up being very enjoyable. Recommended!

PS: I don't really understand the amount of hate that Coldplay gets.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised at this album. After the obnoxious mess that was Mylo Xyloto, I didn't expect Coldplay to go back to a more non-commercialized sound.

The production is very strong on this album and sounds great. Aside from A Sky Full Of Stars, there's really no autotune. Oceans and Another's Arms sound great because of this. I also really love the sound of the electronic drums on this album. The tight clicks and pops on tracks like Always In My Head and Ink fit very well with the rest of the songs.

I love the atmosphere this album creates. Rather than that loud, annoying 'dayglo' thing Mylo Xyloto had going on, Ghost Stories is a dark, relaxing experience. The melodies of songs like True Love and O take me back to Coldplay's older albums.

I like Magic, however it's gotten old. A Sky Full Of Stars is probably the worst song on here, but hearing it in context makes me appreciate it a bit more. Would I have preferred a different song? Yes. ASFOS is the commercial hit of Ghost Stories. It's extremely catchy, features an impressive vocal performance by Martin, but is brought down by it's EDM and "wait for the drop" factor. Too much Avicii!

My favorites are True Love, Always In My Head, Midnight, and O. If you're a fan of Coldplay's first few albums, I think you'll enjoy it. Yeah, it's more electronic, but the production is great and the overall album ends up being very enjoyable. Recommended!

PS: I don't really understand the amount of hate that Coldplay gets.

Yeah, I agree. Coldplay gets hated on too much. I can understand if people find them generic/boring or vanilla. Whatever. But I don't think they've ever been so extreme as to offend people or illicit the kind of hate some people have with them. But eh, what can you do. Only thing I'll agree with, is his lyrics can be pretty atrocious.

I also agree that the production on this is great. I really like the electronic drums, and the overall flow of the songs. This album really just nails the mood, and its a very cohesive experience. I'm quite surprised by this album as well. As I wasn't in love with Magic when I first heard it, and didn't like Sky Full of Stars Either. But the album ended up being way different than those tracks.

BTM

Currently on my first listen through. Only listened to Always in my Head, Magic, Ink, and True Love so far and I already know I'm going to really enjoy this album. Such a nice change after Mylo.

BSherrod

Currently on my first listen through. Only listened to Always in my Head, Magic, Ink, and True Love so far and I already know I'm going to really enjoy this album. Such a nice change after Mylo.
I didn't give Mylo a lot of spins, but I'm about where you are and am enjoying this.

Mau ®

Viva La Vida is their best album and no goddamn nostalgic Parachutes/AROBTTH stan is gonna change my mind.

Mylo was very weak though. I listened to it fully recently and it wasnt as bad as I remembered but still not strong.

This might wind up my second fave album by them.

Halcyon

Mau ®;111755842 said:
Viva La Vida is their best album and no goddamn nostalgic Parachutes/AROBTTH stan is gonna change my mind.

Mylo was very weak though. I listened to it fully recently and it wasnt as bad as I remembered but still not strong.

This might wind up my second fave album by them.

I'm a Parachutes/Viva La Vida supporter.

I don't listen to Mylo very much, and Rush of Blood has a few good songs but I don't like the album as a whole.

Parachutes has all kinds of nostalgia for me.

Mau ®

I don't listen to Mylo very much, and Rush of Blood has a few good songs but I don't like the album as a whole.

Eh. Didnt mean to offend :p

I think it has to do when you started liking them. I obviously knew about Coldplay before Viva but it was the first time I was floored by them. The whole thing was cemented by that album's tour, which is still my fave concert experience.

I listened to all their albums and Parachutes is what I'd call cute but I never actively listen to it. I prefer AROBTTH (it has Warning Sign too...which I love).

Anyway, I hope on their next tour they do give Ghost Stories a bit of room. I'd love to hear and sing my heart out to "Always in my head" while half-drunk :p

Drakken

Just finished my first listen. Surprised by how chill it was from front to back, but I liked it! Very cohesive collection of tracks. Looking forward to listening more and really getting to know these songs. Fwiw, though I found A Sky Full of Stars incredibly generic and uninteresting as a single, I felt like it worked better in context.

For the record, my rankings:

Viva (one of my fav albums all-time)
Parachutes (def my fav sound of early Coldplay)
-----
ARoBttH
Mylo / X&Y

Mononoke

Banned
I guess I would rank them like this:

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head.
2. Viva La Vida
3. Parachutes
4. X&Y
5. Mylo

I think I might like Ghost Stories more than Viva La Vida. For the record, I could easily swap Parachutes with Viva. It just depends on the mood I'm in. I bought Parachutes when it first came out, so I'll always love it. But they were such a different band then. So young. So it's hard comparing that with Viva La Vida for instance. So I can totally understand if someone doesn't like Viva's over the top stadium rock sound, that they would think Parachutes is way better (if that's the Coldplay they fell in love with).

X&Y and Mylo to me, is their lowest point. X&Y isn't awful though. It's just too safe, and it's pretty vanilla even by Coldplay's standards. But it actually is a solid record with a lot of catchy songs. Mylo on the other hand is just a mess. The overall pacing of the album is scattershot, and there is no focus. Album can't decide what it wants to be, and the production is shit. It just sounds like a rushed album. It has some great track though.

JeTmAn81

I just finished this album and found it to be very blah. Hardly anything stands out, almost the whole thing is a pastiche of synth pads and slow delayed guitars. The electronic rhythm tracks sounded like the same thing you hear everywhere else. I expected more energy than this, even from Coldplay.

Daft_Cat

I'd say it's their best album since A Rush of Cold Blood to the Head. It's on about the same level as X&Y.

Won't get the same air time as MX and Viva La Vida, but first listen impressions are that it's marginally better than the latter, and leagues beyond the former.

My rankings (Ghost Stories could shift a bit):

Rush of Cold Blood to the Head
Parachutes
Ghost Stories=X&Y
Viva La Vida

Mylo Xyloto

Mau ®

So... the Target Deluxe edition has leaked, apparently.

That version has 3 more songs and they won't be available anywhere else until later this year.

Mau ®

Best ranking right here. Don't get all the hate x and y got. I think it's leagues better than their albums after though ghost stories is a strong return to form

Dat spacey feel of "talk"

I felt X&Y is rather forgettable but "Talk" is so so so good. I hate the fact that they pay it dust at their shows.

Those are definitely their two best albums.

The nature of their other albums is what is at the cause of (at least my own) love/hate relationship with Coldplay that more often than not swings to hate (well, dislike). Just too far up their own ass with stuff that's way too easy/accessible and not good.

I won't dismiss them though cause Parachutes was a really incredible album, even if it's very accessible in its own way. That album paved the way for a the kind of Radiohead lite (when looking at The Bends or OKC) sound that was so incredibly pervasive in the 00s. Most of it sucked. But the album that started it certainly didn't. Parachutes was fucking awesome and I'll always respect Coldplay for that.

This latest album though... I guess I like Midnight, but the rest doesn't do anything for me.

Moozo

Mau ®;111910003 said:
So... the Target Deluxe edition has leaked, apparently.

That version has 3 more songs and they won't be available anywhere else until later this year.

Ghost Story especially is a better track than a lot of stuff on the actual record. Sonically it's a totally different feel though so you can understand its absence. I would love the next record to sound like that though.

chris121580

I really like this but it also feels like a Chris Martin solo album, not really Coldplay. Very little drums throughout this thing. Either way, I think it's their best album since X&Y

Rankings:

1. AROBTH
2. Parachutes
3. X&Y
4. Ghost Stories
5. Viva

6. Mylo

Mononoke

Banned
Kind of makes me sad to hear this album get panned so heavily. I've been listening to this non-stop, and I've come to really love it! Really, I love this album front to back. I honestly never expected to like a Coldplay this album this much.

Mau ®;112002787 said:
Where's the love for "Ink", though?

I think it's my favorite after "Always in my head".

Ink is amazing. It's such a laid back/ catchy song. Potential to be one of their best singles (if they make it one). I love his vocals on this track.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is a really good album. It's exactly the sort of thing Coldplay needed after the mess that was Mylo Xyloto.

X&Y > AROBTTH = Viva La Vida = Ghost Stories > Parachutes > Mylo Xyloto

Mononoke

Banned
This is a really good album. It's exactly the sort of thing Coldplay needed after the mess that was Mylo Xyloto.

X&Y > AROBTTH = Viva La Vida = Ghost Stories > Parachutes > Mylo Xyloto

Damn, that's very interesting! Never seen someone love X&Y that much. I remember not liking it when it came out. But in recent years, I've been spinning it a lot and think it's a really good album.

Sai-kun

Banned
Man, that one two punch of True Love into Midnight is just so fantastic. This grows on me more every time I listen.

Only noticed this on my third listen through. The track order on here is perfect. Always/Magic go great together, and so do Oceans/Sky.

This album grew on me really fast. Only track that i'm still on the fence about is O

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Damn, that's very interesting! Never seen someone love X&Y that much. I remember not liking it when it came out. But in recent years, I've been spinning it a lot and think it's a really good album.

I strongly disliked X&Y the first few times I listened to it but it's grown on me over the years and now it's my fave :3

Mononoke

Banned
I strongly disliked X&Y the first few times I listened to it but it's grown on me over the years and now it's my fave :3

Crazy right? I've come to love it too, almost the same exact story as you. Although it's not my favorite album. But I really don't know why I disliked it so much when it came out. I guess because at the time, it wasn't a huge evolution in their music. But at the same time, while it wasn't a HUGE step, it's also some of their most fine tuned music.

I can see why this could be a negative. But honestly, I just think the album front to back has a lot of really great songs.

Album is fantastic.

Easily my favourite since A Rush of Blood To The Head.

Everything is cohesive, subtle and restrained. There is an undertone of sadness throughout, but also hope and reflection.

For me 'O' is the stand-out track, knowing that Chris has went through a recent break-up the song gave me so many parallels with my previous relationship.

O said:
A flock of birds
Hovering above
Just a flock of birds
That's how you think of love

And I always
Look up to the sky
Pray before the dawn
'Cause they fly always
Sometimes they arrive
Sometimes they are gone
They fly on

A flock of birds
Hovering above
Into smoke I'm turned
And rise following them up

Still I always
Look up to the sky
Pray before the dawn
'Cause they fly away
One minute they arrive,
Next you know they're gone
They fly on
Fly on

So fly on
Ride through
Maybe one day I'll fly next to you

They fly on
Ride through
Maybe one day I come fly with you
Fly on
Fly on
Fly on

Mononoke

Banned
I know a lot of old Coldplay fans that love this. I know some people that hate Coldplay, that really liked this. Overall, I've seen more positive reactions to this than negative. And yet, so far critics are hammering it hard, saying it's their worse album. Damn.

bud

it's easily a better album than their last two. i'm genuinely loving it so far.

"all your friends" should've been on the album.

Mau ®

"O" is really lovely and sad. The more I listen to this the more sad I feel for the fella.

I love this album. The reviews haven't been exactly bad but I feel they're not giving it a fair chance either. Most of the time they delve into his divorce and their opinions on Chris and Gwyneth as celebrities, rather than the album's content. Comes with the territory, I guess.

Mononoke

Banned
Bonus track: Ghost Story

One of the more Parachutes/Blood-ish sounding tracks.

Yeah, I really like Ghost Story. All of Your Friends is growing on me too. I'm still undecided if I prefer the 9 track version, or the Deluxe. I feel like the original 9 track order feels like a more complete experience. Whereas the Deluxe might have worked if the tracks would have been in different placement vs tacked on at the end.

I hate when they do Deluxe tracklists.

this album is a million times better than xyloto. I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but this album hits the same feels as parachutes. Coincidentally, that's the one album of theirs that I could play anytime. We'll see if this album holds up over time, but three playthroughs have been solid.

Mononoke

Banned
Tonight on NBC (7pm) there is a special live concert called "Ghost Stories". I guess I should have bumped this earlier for East Coast folks. =/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoR6wFmSryc

I guess the setlist is really short though, and a lot of commercials (bleh). It's pretty heavy on Ghost Stories.

1. Always In My Head
2. Magic
3. Clocks
4. True Love
5. Viva La Vida
6. Another's Arms
7. Oceans
8. A Sky Full of Stars
9. Paradise
10. O

citizensyndrome

Neo Member
Parachutes and Rush of Blood were special. I was immensely disappointed w/ X&Y. I haven't enjoyed any of their recent work either.

I can still go back to their first 2 records, though. Fantastic works.

Tugatrix

After give it some time, and let the album sink in, here my album rank

My list based on feelings aside, just a rational analyse no feelings on the mix.

Viva = GS( it's a really consistent album, the cohesion between songs is very well done)
A Rush
Parachutes
X&Y
Mylo

Now my personal list, here I mix my feelings with my impartial opinion:

A Rush
Viva=GS
Parachutes
X&Y
Mylo

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow, this album totally clicked for me tonight. I was feeling a bit down and the vibe of GS just totally worked for me.

VLV > Mylo > GS > Parachutes > Rush > X&Y

i don't dislike a single coldplay album or song, i just prefer some over others :p

Of course, Prospekt's >>>>>>>>>>>> everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom