• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Oh shit, Nebraska is ranked again.

Even then UNO brands their sports as just Omaha, and Kearney...well, no one gives a fuck about UNK (it will always be Kearney State to my folks)

I still hate how UNO lost their football team and wrestling team (the wrestling team that JUST WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP) due to politics though.

The only difference is the hospital here is called UNMC. Everyone refuses to call it by it's new Nebraska Medicine name.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Oh shit, Nebraska is ranked again.

With any luck, and thanks to their joke schedule, they should be 7-0 going into the Wisconsin game...which hopefully will not end badly for us. If we are 7-0, the pollsters would probably have us in the top 10, even though there is no way in hell that we are a top 10 team yet, but it would be a first in a long ass time, lol!

FyreWulff

With any luck, and thanks to their joke schedule, they should be 7-0 going into the Wisconsin game...which hopefully will not end badly for us. If we are 7-0, the pollsters would probably have us in the top 10, even though there is no way in hell that we are a top 10 team yet, but it would be a first in a long ass time, lol!

I'm just scared because it seems like everytime we're ranked, something bad happens.

Can we just like, pretend to not be ranked? We're not going to the playoffs even if we win out, anyway <_< Most predictions have us going to the Rose Bowl.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'm just scared because it seems like everytime we're ranked, something bad happens.

Can we just like, pretend to not be ranked? We're not going to the playoffs even if we win out, anyway <_<

We definitely would, since beating Oregon, Wisconsin, and Ohio State would be three ranked teams, with the possibility of Iowa being ranked again and the B1G championship OSU, UM, or MSU being highly ranked. Big XII or the PAC12 almost certainly will miss out, and the SEC doesn't look strong enough to send two teams.

But that is a hilarious idea to even discuss. If we go 10-2,i would be on cloud 9. Hell, 9-3 would be great, too. I can't imagine with the schedule the way it is that we perform worse than that. 10-2 looks really possible, though, and I don't just say that as a fan, but common sense with our garbage schedule and that already beat one of our 3 difficult opponents m

FyreWulff

We definitely would, since beating Oregon, Wisconsin, and Ohio State would be three ranked teams, with the possibility of Iowa being ranked again and the B1G championship OSU, UM, or MSU being highly ranked. Big XII or the PAC12 almost certainly will miss out, and the SEC doesn't look strong enough to send two teams.

But that is a hilarious idea to even discuss. If we go 10-2,i would be on cloud 9. Hell, 9-3 would be great, too. I can't imagine with the schedule the way it is that we perform worse than that. 10-2 looks really possible, though, and I don't just say that as a fan, but common sense with our garbage schedule and that already beat one of our 3 difficult opponents m

Yeah, I don't think we're getting past Ohio State.

Wisconsin is possible... but I'm not counting my chickens on that one.

It'd be cool if both us and Sparty could make it to the conference championship, though, so they could do a thing for both our kickers that just passed away, but they also have to get past Ohio State and Wisconsin too. (wiscy isn't their division, but it's important to have as insurance in case a tiebreaker situation comes up)

edit: it's still weird to think Wisconsin is the only team standing between us and the Conference Title game. At least we know we can't match against them in it again, lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

It'd be cool if both us and Sparty could make it to the conference championship, though, so they could do a thing for both our kickers that just passed away, but they also have to get past Ohio State and Wisconsin too. (wiscy isn't their division, but it's important to have as insurance in case a tiebreaker situation comes up)

edit: it's still weird to think Wisconsin is the only team standing between us and the Conference Title game. At least we know we can't match against them in it again, lol

Wisconsin plays to their competition, so its a total crapshoot. I don't trust Paul Chryst. Plus, there is no Melvin Gordon/Russell Wilson going for them this year. With no mobile quarterback, and gone are the days of Wisconsin front lines being bigger than NFL teams, so I think we have a good shot. :p

It would take an act of Bauserman to get us to beat them tOSU any time soon. They are, in my opinion, the best team in the game right now and we pale in comparison in all fronts barring receiver corps. You are right about the MSU/NU matchup, should the football gods smile upon us. The emotion in Indy would be insane for that game and it would be something special. I just can't see anyone shutting down the OSU juggernaut this year in a pretty damn good stacked conference and East division.

FyreWulff

Wisconsin plays to their competition, so its a total crapshoot. I don't trust Paul Chryst. Plus, there is no Melvin Gordon/Russell Wilson going for them this year. With no mobile quarterback, and gone are the days of Wisconsin front lines being bigger than NFL teams, so I think we have a good shot. :p

It would take an act of Bauserman to get us to beat them tOSU any time soon. They are, in my opinion, the best team in the game right now and we pale in comparison in all fronts barring receiver corps. You are right about the MSU/NU matchup, should the football gods smile upon us. The emotion in Indy would be insane for that game and it would be something special. I just can't see anyone shutting down the OSU juggernaut this year in a pretty damn good stacked conference and East division.

Both MSU and Nebraska should just NCAA '12 that shit and call a Hail Mary every play but then just run out of the pocket
I fucking hate people that exploit that
. OSU' cyborg defense was programmed by EA, right? SHOULD WORK

Maybe some game he'll stop blowing coverage or get an INT.

Glad he could finally put up pedestrian numbers against powerhouse Colorado. Congrats on registering your 2nd career sack, 0 career INTs and 0 pass breakups this season!

Maybe he'll stay a 4th year where he can double all of those!

edit: I almost forgot that he a 2 way player, dont want to discount those 176 career yards from scrimmage.

Truly a once in a generation player.
Damn

Remember when Ohio State was supposed to finally face attrition following a lot of players leaving

Remember when Ohio State were possibly gonna lose to Oklahoma

Remember when Ohio State didn't seem like legit one of the two best teams in the nation

Good times
Those were the dark times

Remember when I said in the pre-season thread Ohio State was being underhyped?

Called that shit. Dos recruiting classes.
In another time and place, you'd have been a prophet.

Holy SHIT! We did it?!
We are in the process of doing it friend :)

Only 14 more weeks of Browns football left for you.
Shhhhh

This is our escape.. Don't take that away from us.

A Browns and Michigan fan? That must suck
I've always had the suspicion that Dreams was Desmond Howard

I've always had the suspicion that Dreams was Desmond Howard

:3

Yea I went to Michigan. Best times at one of the best schools an prettiest campuses in the country.

Being a Clevelander and Browns fan, however? Worst times. Sigh. At least we got the Indians making a little noise and rings coming to The Q in just a few weeks time.

tebunker

Banned
:3

Yea I went to Michigan. Best times at one of the best schools an prettiest campuses in the country.

Being a Clevelander and Browns fan, however? Worst times. Sigh. At least we got the Indians making a little noise and rings coming to The Q in just a few weeks time.

Just got done talking to my co-workers and they are all
In on picking every team that plays the browns in their pickems. They've given up and are talking about the draft already.

Also I find it odd how many Cleveland-gaf are in this thread specifically. I'm a transplant but its cool to see

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't know how many of you watched the Bama-Mississippi game and remember the fatman 75 yard pick 6 by our lineman Jonathan Allen (well, former pick 6, it's now been turned into a strip sack and a fumble) (video here: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/alabama-big-jonathan-allen-interception-return-75-yards). Mississippi had a receiver that chased him down and almost tackled him short of the endzone while his convoy of blockers were not paying any attention behind him. Turns out that Allen used Mississippi's new endzone score board against them:

-8ad8c954d4f648a9.JPG

The 6-foot-3, 291-pounder took off up the Alabama sideline with a convoy of blockers. The sprint covered 75 yards Allen never expected to cover. One thought replayed in his mind as he used the newly added technology in expanded Vaught-Hemingway Stadium to his advantage.

"I'm looking at the screen the whole time making sure nobody comes up from behind, trying not to make a bone-headed play and fumble," Allen said. "Just making sure I cross the goal line and get down with the ball."

Ole Miss receiver Quincy Adeboyejo had a beat on Allen, sprinting from behind up the sideline. That's where the rearview camera came into play.

"Oh yeah, I saw him coming on the big screen so I just made sure to cover up and make sure I didn't do anything to mess up a good play," Allen said.

So advantage to Alabama and all other schools without giant-ass endzone TVs. Mississippi might have stripped the ball from Allen and saved a TD if not for their desire to keep with the Joneses of the world.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Web browser: click on the "Subscribe" button on the top right side of the screen. Next click "add subscription".

Mobile: Click on the "Tools" button, found by scrolling all the way to the bottom. Then click "Add Subscription".
Added, thanks!

andycapps

If Auburn fires Malzahn and all of his assistants this offseason, the buyouts will total almost $14 million. Then they have to actually hire Petrino and his assistants. Great work there, Jay Jacobs. Signing Malzahn to an extension this offseason seems like money well spent.

I still really hope Kiffin goes to Auburn but Petrino seems like a perfect fit.

I'm thinking of getting a "12 in a row" custom shirt made and bringing it with me to the UT game, then I whip it out if/when we win and slap it on right in the middle of Neyland. But if we don't win I'm going to have to carry around a useless t-shirt.

reKon

Banned
Maybe some game he'll stop blowing coverage or get an INT.

Glad he could finally put up pedestrian numbers against powerhouse Colorado. Congrats on registering your 2nd career sack, 0 career INTs and 0 pass breakups this season!

Maybe he'll stay a 4th year where he can double all of those!

edit: I almost forgot that he a 2 way player, dont want to discount those 176 career yards from scrimmage.

Truly a once in a generation player.

whew

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not saying GT is gonna win, but I'm happy to be playing Clemson at home on a quick turn around after our first team looked good.

Just give me a chance to see a win is all I ask for.

I'm not saying GT is gonna win, but I'm happy to be playing Clemson at home on a quick turn around after our first team looked good.

Just give me a chance to see a win is all I ask for.

As long as you guys keep your field in the same shit conditions that you did the last time we were there, you can bank on injuring another one of our key players and riding that to victory.

Triple post, but it's meltdown time: http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/9/...miss-texas-longhorns-fsu-seminoles-notre-dame

Featuring Auburn, Mississippi, Tejas, FSU and ND. Seems like a deluxe edition.

I've seen a lot of ND meltdowns and this week actually seemed pretty tame in comparison. I think most fans thought this would be an 8-4 year after losing a ton of talent. The defense is historically bad though which always leaves room for some teeth gnashing not to mention the crazy sites like ndnation have wanted Brian Kelly fired since at least year two (maybe earlier).

Harbs was on Dan Patrick today, for some reason Dan said something about Urban drinking 1% milk and harbs responded by saying:

"we refuse to drink the candy-ass skim milk or the 1 percent. we won't have any of that"

WTF is going on lol

andycapps

Petrino also has something like a $10m buyout.
I doubt that would stop Auburn. So that's up to $24 million sunk in buyouts, plus his contract which would be greater than the $4.35 million he's making from Louisville. Plus 9 assistants. So well over 30 million for this endeavor. Yikes.

qcf x2

I know, I know, "SEC is Overrated" but damn, almost double the wins and 1 more loss (and double wins and 2 more losses over OSUn), with 3 or 4 more coming.

One of the advantages of all of your conference opponents being ranked regardless of how garbage they are because "cannibalism" and such. And also, Saban is legit.

Harbs was on Dan Patrick today, for some reason Dan said something about Urban drinking 1% milk and harbs responded by saying:

"we refuse to drink the candy-ass skim milk or the 1 percent. we won't have any of that"

WTF is going on lol

It's a Harbaugh thing. He has a love for whole milk and steak.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/jim-harbaugh-reveals-his-natural-steroids-sleep-milk-water-steak/

"I take a vitamin every day," "It's called a steak."

Harbaugh proceeded to detail the "natural steroids" of life. He listed them in order:

JIM HARBAUGH NATURAL STEROID RANKING
1. Sleep
2. "Milk, whole milk"
3. Water
4. Steak

Jhriad

What happened to the Youngstown State FyreWulff? This post is almost positive. Have the body snatchers finally begun their quest for global takeover? ;)
Glad to see you looking a bit more upbeat.

I'm still tamping down any possible excitement as the past twenty years have made me a crotchety old shit. For now I'll continue to scowl and gesticulate at my television like a drunken orangutan. There are a number of positives to take from Saturday but they've still got some work to do and, as we're all aware, wear and tear as the season progresses is always a factor.

Triple post, but it's meltdown time: http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/9/...miss-texas-longhorns-fsu-seminoles-notre-dame

Featuring Auburn, Mississippi, Tejas, FSU and ND. Seems like a deluxe edition.

"I'm beginning to think there was a curse attached to the LHN."

I chuckled a bit at that one.

Quake1028

I grew to like our uniforms, especially after the font change, but these are really, really great. I will never be used to seeing us in adidas though.

zCqMFATh.jpg

andycapps

A lot of rumblings going around about Florida going after Mississippi State's AD, not sure how I feel about that.
Seeing that too. Also seeing they are really far down their list as nobody wants the job with Foley sticking around and potentially muddying the waters for the new AD. They want to run everything.

El_Chino

Seeing that too. Also seeing they are really far down their list as nobody wants the job with Foley sticking around and potentially muddying the waters for the new AD. They want to run everything.
That's just a bunch of egotistical crap, I'm sure Foley would only be around to help transition the new staff.

andycapps

That's just a bunch of egotistical crap, I'm sure Foley would only be around to help transition the new staff.
It may be, but the perception among their first few choices was that they weren't interested with him staying around.

He's also staying after October 1st as "Emeritus Athletic Director." Whatever that is.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Both MSU and Nebraska should just NCAA '12 that shit and call a Hail Mary every play but then just run out of the pocket
I fucking hate people that exploit that
. OSU' cyborg defense was programmed by EA, right? SHOULD WORK

Remember tOSU's defense is extremely alkaline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom