• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 1 |OT| Offseason's over. Back to #TALKINBOUTTHENOLES

Status
Not open for further replies.
"FSU lost to Louisville by as many points (43) as he total number of points Alabama has lost by in the past three seasons"..."Under Jimbo, FSU has more double digit losses (13) than Alabama has had total losses since 2008 (11)."

It's cause the ACC is college football's premiere conference, surely.

Got some bleach ready to go if UCF loses on Thursday.

RIP.

Lunar15

I hope the Alabama/Florida State game resolves a lot of the sexual tension that's built up between those two teams in the past few years.

tebunker

Banned
Don't worry, the Shula years will come back around via the cyclical nature of this blessed sport as per the football god's will. The sun will rise over Rocky Top once again as we finally hire somebody that can out recruit us to one title on the one year we don't lose to those jort wearing bastards. All will be right in the world.

Lol, I won't miss Verne. Guy was unbearable, though somewhat entertaining in his senility there in the last decade.

I honestly have to wonder what Alabama does after Saban.

Not sure there is another Shula type run since everyone in T-town is processed. Hell Shula
and Whitworth are the only ones with losing records at Alabama in the last 100 years or so. Even Dubose was 500...

I am willing to bet we go with kind of Saban/Belechik disciple like a Pruitt or call Kirby back etc. The focus will be on a coch who can recruit, both players and coaches. There may be another Ray Perkins or Bill Curry, so merely mortal but they will give way to a Stallings or Saban-type eventually.

Not sure there is another Shula type run since everyone in T-town is processed. Hell Shula
and Whitworth are the only ones with losing records at Alabama in the last 100 years or so. Even Dubose was 500...

I am willing to bet we go with kind of Saban/Belechik disciple like a Pruitt or call Kirby back etc. The focus will be on a coch who can recruit, both players and coaches. There may be another Ray Perkins or Bill Curry, so merely mortal but they will give way to a Stallings or Saban-type eventually.

#MaybeDabo

lush

Alabama isn't afraid to spend money and I'd imagine their coffers are full. Saban is a professional and I'd imagine would give them ample time to court a successor. They've easily had the strongest brand over the past decade so both recruits and coaches will want to go there. I imagine they'll be more than fine. Saban will obviously be hard to follow up though considering he's essentially already the GOAT on the most dominant run in collegiate sports. The more interesting thing will be how the fanbase treats Saban's successor.

LosDaddie

Banned
Season predictions? Season prediction:

FSU’s 2017 Schedule
Sep 2 @ Alabama
Sep 9 vs LA Monroe
Sep 16 vs Miami (FL)
Sep 23 vs N.C. State
Sep 30 @ Wake Forest
Bye Week
Oct 14 @ Duke
Oct 21 vs Louisville
Oct 27 @ Boston Coll.
Nov 4 vs Syracuse
Nov 11 @ Clemson
Nov 18 vs Delaware St.
Nov 25 @ Florida

Bold & red for possible Ls. The only guaranteed loss I see is Alabama.

So I see FSU going 10-2 this season, with 9-3 more likely than 11-1. I don’t see any way FSU wins on Saturday. My only hope is that FSU doesn’t get embarrassed. I think Miami is lucky to get FSU so soon after Alabama.

My most anticipated game is vs Louisville.

I don’t post on GAF much anymore (to the delight, I’m sure, of some), but some of you will remember that I’m less bullish on FSU than my fellow Noles. I don’t really care for Jimbo all that much. He’s always good for a couple losses unless he has a superstar QB. But sure, he’s still better than most HCs.

Also, you can't spell Cheaters with SEC.

Nialrot

Got some bleach ready to go if UCF loses on Thursday.

Not going to happen. Defense is pretty legit and the Offense has another year in the system.

8-4 looks like a pretty realistic year with 2018 being Frosts money year with his recruits and transfers in place.

tebunker

Banned
Alabama isn't afraid to spend money and I'd imagine their coffers are full. Saban is a professional and I'd imagine would give them ample time to court a successor. They've easily had the strongest brand over the past decade so both recruits and coaches will want to go there. I imagine they'll be more than fine. Saban will obviously be hard to follow up though considering he's essentially already the GOAT on the most dominant run in collegiate sports. The more interesting thing will be how the fanbase treats Saban's successor.

Usually a smart coach wants to be the one who doesn't directly replace a legend. Rarely is there Jimbo Fisher type of coach who was effectively running the team in the last years up until the HC retired.

I don't think dark times will be for much longer at Neyland. I mean if they could convince Payton to come coach that alone would put them way up on the recruiting trail. It'd really have to be a big name who can walk into homes and sell it and that dude could do it if he wanted.

lush

Usually a smart coach wants to be the one who doesn't directly replace a legend. Rarely is there Jimbo Fisher type of coach who was effectively running the team in the last years up until the HC retired.

I don't think dark times will be for much longer at Neyland. I mean if they could convince Payton to come coach that alone would put them way up on the recruiting trail. It'd really have to be a big name who can walk into homes and sell it and that dude could do it if he wanted.

Saban is still kind of unique as whoever replaces him will likely come in with fully stocked cupboards where you could probably keep some of the momentum going. That versus expectations, I still think with the money they'll be throwing around there'll be big names chomping at the bit to go there.

Tennessee has systemic issues in the AD and with boosters. Nothing has changed in the AD and we still have a Chancellor that doesn't care about the success of athletics. We'll see how the AD does when Butch is finally out and/or Barnes retires in basketball. Based on his handling of Frank Martin at KSU, I'm underwhelmed by the hire. But we'll see, apparently he's a good fundraiser and UT needs all they can get in that regard considering the amount of buyouts they've been paying in the last decade(final payment to Dooley was in Dec '16).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
nda80ay.gif

For the tiniest of burns to one particular ole miss fan. Hope you come back,
Guileless

Awesome. You'll get hooked. The tailgate. The fans. The game. College football is the best.

Boise State isn't my main team (Washington is) but my aunt lives near there and my cousin is going there (she'll be on the field as a medical assistant). It'll be really interesting to see the atmosphere, although I don't plan on getting there more than an hour or so before kickoff.

Get that bullshit outta here, breh. I'll always enjoy having bragging rights over UF.

But maybe I'm just a bit more old school 🤔

But see, FSU isn't afraid of having the SEC's 2 best teams on its schedule

...you are talking about Florida, right?

On what planet are they the second best team in the SEC?

Florida State definitely gets props for scheduling Alabama this season (or, any other Power 5 team considering they're locked into one game against Florida every year) though.

Not like Jimbo's made a habit of these types of openers either tho. His 7-0 record opening the season has I think two wins against P5 opponents (Ole Miss last year and one other I can't recall). Don't know what FSU's future openers are, but I think he's trying to change that.

Florida State definitely gets props for scheduling Alabama this season (or, any other Power 5 team considering they're locked into one game against Florida every year) though.

Not like Jimbo's made a habit of these types of openers either tho. His 7-0 record opening the season has I think two wins against P5 opponents (Ole Miss last year and one other I can't recall). Don't know what FSU's future openers are, but I think he's trying to change that.

They beat Gondo State the year after the championship.

But opening against a P5 power is stupid. Too early in the season for that nonsense. Start with a cupcake and, as you get better, play better opponents.

El_Chino

By all means, who's SEC's second best team? I need a laugh tonight

Been keeping a low profile with all that ole miss stuff the last couple of months.

I'm a Michigan man now.

Go hard!

College football is back!

They beat Gondo State the year after the championship.

But opening against a P5 power is stupid. Too early in the season for that nonsense. Start with a cupcake and, as you get better, play better opponents.

Got to disagree. Play a ranked p5 early and win and your talked about as a playoff contender early on.

Get that bullshit outta here, breh. I'll always enjoy having bragging rights over UF.

But maybe I'm just a bit more old school 🤔

But see, FSU isn't afraid of having the SEC's 2 best teams on its schedule

I see what you are saying but every time an FSU fan opens their mouth I just think they are going to try to eat my face. Face Snacks University

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Nebraska's 2017 Season, as I see it!

Arkansas St - 42 - 17 W
@Oregon - 37 - 34 W
Northern Illinois - 32 - 18 W
Rutgers - 47 - 13 W
@Illinois - 28 - 24 W
Wisconsin - 21 - 44 L
Ohio St - 24 - 47 L
@Purdue - 36 - 21 W
Northwestern - 37 - 35 W
@Minnesota - 28 - 27 W
@Penn St - 27 - 30 L
Iowa - 42 - 17 W

B1G Championship - Wiscy 11-1 v Mich 11-1 - 37-35 Wiscy

I just realized that this will be the first time in my life (since immigrating to the US at 8) that I will be living outside Florida during football season. For like 19 years I've basically never been more than an hour and a half from Gainesville. Even though I never really got into football until later when I was at UF, "the Gators" was always around me. I really think one of the happiest moments in my life was when I got accepted at UF. Especially after growing up around it.

Man, now I miss Florida.
and PubSubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom