• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 3 |OT| Confused as a Yankee Learning to Square Dance

Glad for the win, but all the drops by receivers on easy fucking plays was fucking awful. That first interception by Darnold will go on his stat sheet somehow despite the ball literally being in his receiver's hands.

Anyway, fuck Texas 😃

andycapps

Since things will be calming down and Ryseing will be getting next week's OP ready, some suggestions.

V7A1WMW.jpg

CBdzqNf.gif

Mississippi State/Georgia gotta be game of the week, right?

TCU/Okie State should be decent too, and we'll finally get to see FSU play football again.

jjasper

I could probably write a 1000 word essay that breaks down just how awful a coaching job that was by Butch yesterday. I mean I don't understand how someone can be so dumb. Like these are things that a pee wee coach would know. And not only are there errors it is like he doesn't learn from them. That last Hail Mary looked really similar to the one Georgia threw last year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still think CFB as a whole is down this year. Maybe Bama is better, but Clemson is a top 5 team that isn't as close to as talented as last year.

I'm not sold on a ton of teams being better than they were last year. Also think it's gonna be a down draft year especially for QBs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Still think CFB as a whole is down this year. Maybe Bama is better, but Clemson is a top 5 team that isn't as close to as talented as last year.

I'm not sold on a ton of teams being better than they were last year. Also think it's gonna be a down draft year especially for QBs.

Bama's offense might be a little better than last year but the defense is unquestionably a step down, especially after injuries. Once Bama gets into the meat of the schedule the lack of a pass rush and inability to generate pressure without blitzing is going to be costly.

tebunker

Banned
Bama's offense might be a little better than last year but the defense is unquestionably a step down, especially after injuries. Once Bama gets into the meat of the schedule the lack of a pass rush and inability to generate pressure without blitzing is going to be costly.

Obviously we are most critical of our own team but I don't 100% disagree. Williams and Anderson had the fortune to not be every down players who got to specialize in specific situations. It made them terrifying pass rushers. It also hurt development of younger players. It will take time and hopefully one or two people step up.

Injuries don't help that because those guys were going to step in to those roles. Fortunately the talent gap is wide for the next couple of weeks and Coach can use these games to help players get better, and thats what the last two weeks have been.

As for other teams, Clemson has definitely played well. We knew that defense was still going to be good. The offense has done well against lesser competition. Look they didn't destroy the barn who has a bad D. They whooped Louisville who doesn't play D. So I would like to see them play FSU who does play D. I am not sure Clemson gets out of league play without 1-2 losses.

Oklahoma is the only team I have seen that looks complete, but again I want them to be tested by an actual complete team and we probably won't see that all season from them.

Granted we are really only 3 games in to the season. No reason to overreact.

We're missing 5 linebackers at this point. It's beginning to show. We're starting (talented, but undeveloped) true freshmen and walk-ons at OLB right now. We get Evans and Jennings back this week, and maybe Moses, so that helps a ton. But our DL is dreadful at generating any type of pass rush right now.

Even with that, I was extremely high on the defense's potential after their FSU showing, and still think they'll be great down the stretch, but we've gotta stay healthy from here on out.

On the bright side, next season, our front 7 is gonna have a filthy amount of experience. We're really missing Bo Davis on the recruiting trail front though.

I think our offense will continue to be fine, and could even become dominant if we get right guard and tackle in sync with the other side. Jalen's shown a ton of growth, and I still think we're running vanilla schemes compared to what we'll see this season. Mississippi State is gonna be our only real scare in the SEC before we reach Atlanta, it seems. For once, the idea of playing a pro style QB doesn't put me at ease if our DL doesn't step it up. Georgia could take us down.

I still have Clemson losing to FSU (people are really forgetting how dominant that defense is, and I'm confident Blackman can't be dreadful after basically getting a second fall camp with Jimbo), and USC coming out the west coast. Oklahoma/Okie State is way more intriguing a match up than I thought it'd be, and either Penn State or Wisconsin are coming out of the B1G.

I think a pretty good fifth ranked team is gonna get shafted this year.

Ok, I think I've talked myself back from the edge a bit after the Iowa/NTexas game.

We got the ball to the end zone six times even if only four of them counted. I'm not blaming the refs on the first called back touchdown, that was the right call. I also kind of understand the second called back TD, even if Wadley only took two high steps before reigning himself back in. We could've even put it in a seventh time with two 10+ yard runs taking us to the NT 2 yard line before kneeling to kill the clock at the end.

The first NT TD was legit, but their second one was bullshit with two very questionable 15 yard personal fouls. On the roughing the passer call, the Iowa guy had been blocked to the ground and tackled the QB's leg from the ground and it wasn't that late. I think if the NT guy doesn't go sprawling in to the kicker's net, the late hit a couple of plays later doesn't get called.

Then in the second half, we shut them out and had a decent running game even with our two top RBs out of the game. Stanley still overthrew a lot of long balls, but only by a couple of yards this weekend instead of by 5-10 yards last weekend.

Like I said, we're still going to get killed next weekend by Penn State, but I'm more optimistic we'll eek out four more wins than I was last week.

And once more with feeling, fuck those refs. They should be relegated to FCS at a minimum, DIII more deservingly and I wouldn't rule out sending them down to NAIA. Even taking away the probably deserved Wadley unsportsmanlike, that was one of the worst called games I've ever seen.

One thing I thought was particularly interesting yesterday was when Florida threw a 63 yard touchdown to beat Tennessee as time expired and then Tennessee lost and had to go home knowing they lost to us on a freak play last minute, with quite a few of those players having experienced it first-hand 2 years ago.

That was pretty interesting to me.

Hah! Texas' close game knocked USC out of playoff position! Suck it Trojans!!1 Now Penn State is in the 4th spot! We did good!?

Also the AP still not ranking Maryland is a TRAVESTY

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hah! Texas' close game knocked USC out of playoff position! Suck it Trojans!!1 Now Penn State is in the 4th spot! We did good!?

Also the AP still not ranking Maryland is a TRAVESTY

What's better, losing in the first round of the playoff or winning the Rose Bowl? Even losing the Rose Bowl gets us another notch on the wall of the Coliseum...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank you.

Jombie

Right now, Bama looks like a shitter version of the 2013 team. Think we'll win the SEC but would get fucking trashed by OU, OSU and Clemson. Pathetic showing yesterday.

Balphon

Chargers play at the LA Galaxy's stadium, 25k is near capacity.

I realize last night is excellent evidence that Qualcomm Stadium sucks, but why are the Chargers in LA again?

Quake1028

From ESPN's Power Ranking of anOSU this week. Presented without comment.

The passing issues aren’t totally fixed, but QB J.T. Barrett was efficient in the second half. J.K. Dobbins (172 yards, 2 TDs) shined again, and Ohio State’s pass-defense numbers improved.

El_Chino

One thing I thought was particularly interesting yesterday was when Florida threw a 63 yard touchdown to beat Tennessee as time expired and then Tennessee lost and had to go home knowing they lost to us on a freak play last minute, with quite a few of those players having experienced it first-hand 2 years ago.

That was pretty interesting to me.
Fun Fact: Mac said they ran the same exact play they did two years ago to beat Tennessee.

Top Bottom