• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 6 - If the Stanford Tree falls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you, were the Nebraska fans super quiet to you as well? I was pretty disappointed with the Nebraska fans loudness, UCF fans were louder (dead serious)

There were only a handful in my section, and they were indeed very quiet.

I joked with one of them that Nebraska was getting a reputation for being too polite.

Kevtones

They are vulnerable, especially with injuries. But I don't disagree. And I don't see why Saban with prep time can't do what Chizik managed with a pretty mediocre defense with prep time.

Basically, Batman.

To be fair, Oregon played pretty terribly that game. Darron Thomas threw some good balls but pretty much misread every read option play he ran.

Also, Matt Millen said OREGON.

I'd go Bama. I'm still a little skeptical of these up tempo offenses in Bowl games when they play good defenses. Oregon got shut down by OSU and Auburn recently in the post season. UF shut down the up tempo 2008 OU offense which statistically was one of the best ever. I think having a month to prepare negates some of the advantages that an up tempo offense brings.

Not wrong, statistically. But Bob Stoops was just an asshole who ran up the score on shit teams.

Although I'm not entirely opposed to the "Play Defense" philosophy, he played Sam Bradford like he was his NCAA QB.

Kevtones

They're more vulnerable than last year but Oregon is more turnover prone.

This was true although I think we're getting better. It seemed like more of a focus thing than a defensive effort thing. Tonight, Shaq had a GREAT pick but otherwise we were solid. There's a muff punt in there from out backup when up 38 but eh.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
What version of NCAA football were they showing a few minutes ago? I didn't know they released it on the Wii!

cdyhybrid

Maybe they should relocate to another city. Worked for their NBA team.

still too soon?
We have a new arena now, the league will be back soon enough. I heard every possible Sonics joke back when they moved.

GG Oregon. You guys were clearly the better team.

Maybe they should relocate to another city. Worked for their NBA team.

still too soon?

It was bullshit, and it will always be too soon.

Note: Not really an NBA fan.

Also not a Supersonics fan.

I guess I really need to pick an NBA team to root for. I'll see where I end up for my career.

Baseball- elementary school geographic team, NCAA- My college team, NFL- my Law School geographical team, NBA- who knows???

Also. Supersonics. How bad ass is that?

^I miss the Sonics...Shawn fucking Kemp, Gary Payton, some lanky bastard named Detlef Schrempf^

Checking the rankings, obviously there's gonna be a lot of shakeups at the top...but focusing on my team, we'll jump TCU but Miss St. may jump us.

Basically, we'll be 19 in the AP for a month.

Kevtones

We have a new arena now, the league will be back soon enough. I heard every possible Sonics joke back when they moved.

GG Oregon. You guys were clearly the better team.

Good game. It's weird, you guys were clearly more put together than WSU but the little things went our way at the right times to put the game away quick.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Syracuse by 4 - 2
Arkansas @ Auburn by 10 - 0
Northwestern @ Penn State by 4 - 1
Arizona @ Stanford by 10 - 1
Virginia @ Duke by 4 - 0
LSU @ Florida by 10 - 0
Oklahoma @ Texas Tech by 10 - 1
Michigan @ Purdue by 10 - 1
Georgia @ South Carolina by 4 - 1
West Virginia @ Texas by 4 - 0
Miami @ Notre Dame by 10 - 1
Florida State @ NC State by 20 - 0
Nebraska @ Ohio State by 4 - 0
UCLA @ California by 4 - 0
Washington @ Oregon by 24 - 1
A whopping 9 points :(

Pretty sure the high bar is going to be lower this week, though.

I'm not even going to look. My pick 'em has to be a dumpster fire this week.

Speaking of fires... WVU couch activities in effect again it seems.

‏
@DailyAthenaeum
Reports of tear gas being fired on crowds celebrating win in downtown Morgantown.

@WBOY12News
This photo was taken on Grant Avenue, you can see something on fire. http://fb.me/1BycESEYV

@pat_shit_cray_
@DailyAthenaeum shits wild .. Pepper spray and riot control can't stop mountaineer fans http://pic.twitter.com/aJhY2nde

UCLA can't win in Berkeley even against the worst Cal team ever. Why do I even bother? It's amazing how much my teams hate me.

You can only blame yourself if you're rooting for fUCLA. There's no excuse to support the bRuins.

But if it makes you feel better, there have been a LOT worse Cal teams. Cal historically has been pretty awful.

FyreWulff

Had to run to the grocery store. Leave at 30something to 30something.

Turn on radio once I get out of the store, 63-38.

Accidentally said "well, that escalated quickly" out loud :lol

Nebraska gonna 'braska

Speaking of fires... WVU couch activities in effect again it seems.
It's almost always college students that are trying to be what they think they should be *facepalm*

Has any other fanbase embraced couch burning like this?

Besides UK - who tried to copy it when "celebrating" their basketball championship - of course...

someone needs to photoshop Mettenberger into an Anchorman photo, specifically the "well, that escalated quickly" moment

That escalated quickly.

Had to run to the grocery store. Leave at 30something to 30something.

Turn on radio once I get out of the store, 63-38.

Accidentally said "well, that escalated quickly" out loud :lol

Nebraska gonna 'braska

It is a theme for the night. Lonestar got there first, and I didn't realize it. But he might have penetrated my subconscious like Gaborn.

I just saw the whole recovered fumble thing in the Florida/LSU game...they need to make new rules on how they blow those plays dead.

That's two weeks in a row that refs have decided that legit fumbles aren't able to be returned.

I just saw the whole recovered fumble thing in the Florida/LSU game...they need to make new rules on how they blow those plays dead.

That's two weeks in a row that refs have decided that legit fumbles aren't able to be returned.

You want to let it play out, but you also don't want a non-play to lead to injury, or make the booth have to overturn a call by their conclusive standard.

From where the official was, that looked like a catch. The ball didn't squirt out until well after he was down, even though it was pulled loose much earlier. Sure we lost the chance to advance, but I think the officials got it right, including the early whistle.

You want to let it play out, but you also don't want a non-play to lead to injury, or make the booth have to overturn a call by their conclusive standard.

From where the official was, that looked like a catch. The ball didn't squirt out until well after he was down, even though it was pulled loose much earlier. Sure we lost the chance to advance, but I think the officials got it right, including the early whistle.
I'm still bitter about it costing Auburn last week (if I remember correctly)

I think the 2 pts for margin of victory exact was talked about but will be put into effect for next season, could be wrong though
Yep, you're right. I edited that out a lil late.

Went and found the rules straight from the horse's mouth:

GAF NCAAFB Pick'em 2012

Here are the rules (same as last year's):
  • 15 games will be selected by me each week
  • Players pick a winner for each game and how much they think they will win by (margin of victory)
  • You can get up to 2 points per game: 1 point for picking the winning team, and another point if your margin of victory prediction is within 3 of the actual margin of victory
  • You can get 1 additional bonus point in a week if you guess every game correctly (not including MoV)
  • Maximum of 31 points each week
  • Each player's lowest week will be automatically dropped
  • Anybody can play, just post your picks!
  • Some games come earlier than Saturday. Make sure to get your picks in on time.
  • Are you a ban-risk? PM me your email address and I'll keep up with you if you get banned so that you can still get your picks in on time.
  • You have until the time the games start each week to get your picks in. Don't try and cheat by putting your picks after the games have started. Be cool.

I think the 2 pts for margin of victory exact was talked about but will be put into effect for next season, could be wrong though

2 points max. 1 for pick, 1 for mov within 3. We have had an extra point for all perfect picks in the past, not sure if we still do.

MOV rules might change next year, but these rules for all season.

^if I may politely ask, what's the reasoning behind considering a slimdown of the MOV for next year?^
2 points max. 1 for pick, 1 for mov within 3. We have had an extra point for all perfect picks in the past, not sure if we still do.

MOV rules might change next year, but these rules for all season.
We still do. I remember someone getting it last year. Probably won't happen this season, though.

1 for correct pick, and another 1 for picking the margin of victory within 3 points.

If you pick the MOV spot on, I think you get 2.

thx for the clarification...

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Syracuse by 10Prob get 0 for submmiting it late
Arkansas @ Auburn by 5 -1
Northwestern @ Penn StateState by 4 -1
Arizona @ Stanford by 9 -2
Virginia @ Dukeby 10-0
LSU @ Florida by 4-0
Oklahoma @ Texas Tech by 7-1
Michigan @ Purdue by 4-1
Georgia @ South Carolina by 17 -1
West Virginia @ Texas by 7-1
Miami @ Notre Dame by 14-1
Florida State @ NC State by 17-0
Nebraska @ Ohio State by 4-1
UCLA @ California by 4-0
Washington @ Oregon by 35-1 Miss an extra pt by 1 freakin pt..lol

11 pts this week...:(

^if I may politely ask, what's the reasoning behind considering a slimdown of the MOV for next year?^

People were worried about everyone "gaming" it too easily since picking 4 is optimal in many close-game scenarios -- since it gets you points whether a team wins by 1 all the way up to 7.

I'm going to do some analysis to see how many games actually end up in that range. But generally I think most people feel the system works fine, and honestly it's not a bad thing if there are extra points to go around, if you ask me. I think we've seen this year that the window doesn't matter if people pick wrong, and I'd rather have more points easily available so people can gain more ground with a really good week, etc. As Cyan said, "not broke, don't fix it."

I am considering giving an extra point for getting the MoV *exactly right* though, which goes more with my inclination to award more points for doing well as opposed to closing the window, so to speak.

But yeah, that'll all be for next year's stuff.

People were worried about everyone "gaming" it too easily since picking 4 is optimal in many close-game scenarios -- since it gets you points whether a team wins by 1 all the way up to 7.

I'm going to do some analysis to see how many games actually end up in that range. But generally I think most people feel the system works fine, and honestly it's not a bad thing if there are extra points to go around, if you ask me. I think we've seen this year that the window doesn't matter if people pick wrong, and I'd rather have more points easily available so people can gain more ground with a really good week, etc. As Cyan said, "not broke, don't fix it."

I am considering giving an extra point for getting the MoV *exactly right* though, which goes more with my inclination to award more points for doing well as opposed to closing the window, so to speak.

But yeah, that'll all be for next year's stuff.
I'm definitely guilty of the bolded. If I think it'll be a one score game, I pick 4, if it might be two scores, I go 10, etc.

Although I would just suggest that if a perfect MOV got an extra point, maybe a "perfect week" should get 3.

Regardless, I'm happy with however it turns out. Thanks a TON for doing this.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It is a theme for the night. Lonestar got there first, and I didn't realize it. But he might have penetrated my subconscious like Gaborn.

it popped in my head, because Mettenberger went to a recent game, dressed in Anchorman attire (before he shaved the stache)

20120922_lbm_av3_427.0_standard_783.0.jpg

I'm betting some of this makeup wore off from the tears.

zmur.gif

:jnc

Kevtones

Pittsburgh by 17 - NOPE
Auburn by 3 - NOPE
Northwestern by 7 - NOPE
Arizona by 10 - NOPE BUT SHOULD'VE
Virginia by 3 - NOPE
Florida by 3 - 1 POINT
Oklahoma by 21 3 POINTS - WE SHOULD GET .5 POINTS FOR BEING EXACT
Purdue by 13 - NOPE, although they scored 13
Georgia by 14 - OH GOD
WVU by 7 - YAY - 4 POINTS
Miami by 3 - LOL
NC State by 3 - 6 POINTS
Nebraska by 10 - ?
California by 13 - 7 points
Oregon by 28 - 9 points

9 POINTS. NOT THAT BAD?

Enfinit

Basically the defeated coach saying common sense stuff that's just gonna make hurt fans ears bleed?

You don't even understand how we feel about Jimbo right now. He needs to be gone, especially after his play calling in the second half.

You don't blow a 16-point lead in the first half. You don't continuously give the ball to Thompson when he's averaging 1.1 yards per carry in the second half when you have a 5-star James Wilder Jr. who didn't see a single snap the entire game. You don't "try and run the defense down" when you go 3-and-out using the same tactic three possessions in a row.

For fuck's sake, Jimbo. You're a Saben boy. Get your fucking shit together or get the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom