• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 6 - If the Stanford Tree falls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
mre's List of Preferred Head Coaches for Tennessee (no order below #1):

(1) Phil Fulmer
(2) Skip Holtz
(3) John L. Smith
(4) Houston Nutt
(5) Lou Holtz
(6) Charlie Weisz
(7) Gene Chizik
(8) Mike DuBose
(9) Mike Price
(10) Turner Gill
(11) That guy who coached at Coastal Carolina last year who hates cats and wanted his team to be a bunch of "dogs"
(12) LSU's Offensive Coordinator
(13) Ty Willingham
(14) Garfield
(15) The loser of Obama and Romney

I see Garfield, but no Fozzie Bear? Would you lose too much respect for him? His coloring is just so, and he might even act as a saboteur (though an unnecessary one).

But otherwise I don't see how one could go wrong with this list. How about jjasper's brother? He has the LSU experience to make things work.

(1) Phil Fulmer
(2) Skip Holtz
(3) John L. Smith
(4) Houston Nutt
(5) Lou Holtz
(6) Charlie Weisz
(7) Gene Chizik
(8) Mike DuBose
(9) Mike Price
(10) Turner Gill
(11) That guy who coached at Coastal Carolina last year who hates cats and wanted his team to be a bunch of "dogs"
(13) Ty Willingham
(14) Garfield
This list is a joke without Fat Guy Waving Shirt

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I see Garfield, but no Fozzie Bear? Would you lose too much respect for him? His coloring is just so, and he might even act as a saboteur (though an unnecessary one).

But otherwise I don't see how one could go wrong with this list. How about jjasper's brother? He has the LSU experience to make things work.
I fucking hate Garfield. I wouldn't subject the Foz to that.

Add Chuck the Chest to my list as well. Forgot about that bum.

Cyan

Banned
When I was in the marching band at USC we practice 3 nights a week for about 2, 2.5 hours, then we met on Saturday mornings at 6:09am for practice/run through for another 2-3 hours depending upon when kick off was.

I actually still have a bunch of the field show guides back at my parents house, of course they don't really make a lot of sense unless you've marched before.

The thing about a field show like what Ohio State did is that its actually not that complicated or difficult.

I guess you would know, but why do you so rarely see those types of formations, then?

Enfinit

Mark Stoops should be on that list somewhere. It's only a matter on time before he leaves FSU to be a head coach somewhere.

Fess up, who's the secret Michigan State fan?

And why are you calling out mre? I'm pretty sure Michigan State is one of the two or three schools he hasn't attended.

Is that every in-joke from the past week that nobody outside of this thread would get. Well done, "State Fan."

And, no, I'm pretty sure MR wouldn't have the ability to pull this one off.

DQlLv.jpg

True Lifelong.

Of course it's a cowbell. Was three ever any doubt?

Some of us aren't as familiar with State as you seem to be mre. We only play them at home like once a decade, and even then it isn't very memorable.

Your knowledge level is suspicious, though. And you have ties.

jjasper

I fucking hate Garfield. I wouldn't subject the Foz to that.

Add Chuck the Chest to my list as well. Forgot about that bum.

Garfield is a cat. Every self respecting man should hate him. Everyone knows Odie is the star of that comic.

Edit: I don't think we need the cat and dog guy we already have someone that says stupid shit at press conferences.

MrJames

(1) Phil Fulmer
(2) Skip Holtz
(3) John L. Smith
(4) Houston Nutt
(5) Lou Holtz
(6) Charlie Weisz
(7) Gene Chizik
(8) Mike DuBose
(9) Mike Price
(10) Turner Gill
(13) Ty Willingham
(14) Garfield

My vote...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EChnZTJicw

Aesius

I doubt many of the assistants stay. Jay Graham would because he is the best coach on the team and one of/if not the best RB coaches in the country.

Graham and Pittman are the two I could see staying. Hinshaw is another possibility.

I would just hope that the new DC sticks with a 3-4 scheme since year two is usually when it pays off.

(1) Phil Fulmer
(2) Skip Holtz
(3) John L. Smith
(4) Houston Nutt
(5) Lou Holtz
(6) Charlie Weisz
(7) Gene Chizik
(8) Mike DuBose
(9) Mike Price
(10) Turner Gill
(13) Ty Willingham
(14) Garfield

Would you take Lane Kiffin?

thought you were a big supporter?

I was and kind of still am... but I'm of the thought he should be on his way out. The Missouri loss put it over the edge for me. Even if he does well and wins the conference/bowl game, I think he should retire at the end of the season.

I'm not at the point that I would want to see him fired due to all of the positives he has brought and I don't want the team in rebuilding mode for 2-3 years.

bluemax

Banned
I guess you would know, but why do you so rarely see those types of formations, then?

Because its high school level stuff and marching band directors prefer to do more difficult maneuvers and formations that take actual skill, coordination and practice.

I mean look, the Stanford "band" can make pictures and stuff on the field, but they probably couldn't pull off a basic USC half time show.

I was and kind of still am... but I'm of the thought he should be on his way out. The Missouri loss put it over the edge for me. Even if he does well and wins the conference/bowl game, I think he should retire at the end of the season.

I'm not at the point that I would want to see him fired due to all of the positives he has brought and I don't want the team in rebuilding mode for 2-3 years.
It was all good just a year ago....

I remember when me and godfather used to beef with you. My oh my, things have changed :p

You are a more serious program than you were, but I worry you would end up in a Skip Holtz situation, and get worse rather than better.

Because its high school level stuff and marching band directors prefer to do more difficult maneuvers and formations that take actual skill, coordination and practice.

I mean look, the Stanford "band" can make pictures and stuff on the field, but they probably couldn't pull off a basic USC half time show.

The plebes are impressed, at least. I do wish we could actually see the bands do stuff without having to be there.

You are a more serious program than you were, but I worry you would end up in a Skip Holtz situation, and get worse rather than better.
Man, I can only imagine what USF would be with Jim Leavitt. He built USF into what it was.

He was also one of the few opposing coaches I had tons of respect for.

Zee-Row

Banned

(1) Phil Fulmer
(2) Skip Holtz
(3) John L. Smith
(4) Houston Nutt
(5) Lou Holtz
(6) Charlie Weisz
(7) Gene Chizik
(8) Mike DuBose
(9) Mike Price
(10) Turner Gill
(13) Ty Willingham
(14) Garfield

Someone actually wants Skip Holtz? You can take him , he ruined the Bulls football program.

It was all good just a year ago....

I remember when me and godfather used to beef with you. My oh my, things have changed :p

It was! But at the same time, the team was appearing to be more consistent. Won the division in 2005, dumpster fire in 2006, then conference championship in 2007, fell off in 2008, got to a bowl in 2009, then won the conference and a bowl in 2010. Then started 2011 with high expectations. Then we lost to BYU and FIU. Then shit hit the fan fast.

Now in 2012, we returned a lot of people and had a revamped and more exciting coaching staff. Then we choke away a game at OSU - which is still an understandable loss and we shoot ourselves against Mizzou at home in a very winnable game. We still have a good track to a good season and potential Liberty Bowl berth again, but there were still higher expectations.

He has no doubt built a great foundation for UCF and has the program much better off than when he found it - despite off the field issues even, but I don't think he is the answer for UCF if they want to get to that next level and start competing nationally. Start of BE play would be a great opportunity for him to step aside and have another coach slide in. But we'll see.

Edit: SerArthurDayne, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. A new coach search would have to be done.... very carefully if it isn't an internal promotion thing. That's why I don't want to see bad blood or a rocky situation at the point of transition at this point just yet.

It was! But at the same time, the team was appearing to be more consistent. Won the division in 2005, dumpster fire in 2006, then conference championship in 2007, fell off in 2008, got to a bowl in 2009, then won the conference and a bowl in 2010. Then started 2011 with high expectations. Then we lost to BYU and FIU. Then shit hit the fan fast.

Now in 2012, we returned a lot of people and had a revamped and more exciting coaching staff. Then we choke away a game at OSU - which is still an understandable loss and we shoot ourselves against Mizzou at home in a very winnable game. We still have a good track to a good season and potential Liberty Bowl berth again, but there were still higher expectations.

He has no doubt built a great foundation for UCF and has the program much better off than when he found it - despite off the field issues even, but I don't think he is the answer for UCF if they want to get to that next level and start competing nationally. Start of BE play would be a great opportunity for him to step aside and have another coach slide in. But we'll see.
I'll never like O'Leary, but I won't deny that he put UCF in the national discussion again.

Not sure if you'd want a coaching change while moving to a tougher conference - look at Temple.

I'll never like O'Leary, but I won't deny that he put UCF in the national discussion again.

Not sure if you'd want a coaching change while moving to a tougher conference - look at Temple.

Yeah, definitely another thing to consider. Fun fact, apparently the basic plan was that when UCF had a successful 2011, GOL would have retired and probably hand picked someone to replace him moving forward. We also hired Ted Roof from Auburn apparently with the expectation he would be a coach in waiting with GOL's blessing.

Then we obviously shit the bed and Roof left the team for PSU before he barely unpacked his bags.

pxleyes

Banned
where is this threat? CFBgaf seems like an impregnable fortress made from mod-kryptonite
how else can one explain our continued existence in OT?
We stay here and don't bleed into other threads, outside of obvious moments like the Penn State scandal. Dare I say we are respectful to the forum rules above most of the other sport threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom