• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comedy Central's The President Show, hosted by Trump (impersonator Tony Atamanuik)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

C8fLukCUwAAKk14.jpg:large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGawGjQIpY

Created by popular Donald Trump impersonator Anthony Atamanuik and executive produced by Adam Pally (Making History), it will feature Atamanuik hosting as the U.S. President and Peter Grosz as his sidekick, Vice President Mike Pence.

The weekly, topical series will air on Thursdays following The Daily Show with Trevor Noah beginning Thursday, April 27 at 11:30 PM. @midnight, which relocated from midnight to 11:30 PM Monday through Thursday following the cancellation of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, will move back to midnight on Thursday while remaining at 11:30 PM Monday – Wednesday.

On The President Show, Trump will be bypassing the crooked media by hosting a late-night show direct from the Oval Office. Joined by sidekick Mike Pence, he will put his unique Trumpian spin on such late-night staples as desk segments, field pieces and guest interviews.

”Laughing at the President is a proud American tradition and we hope not to disappoint anyone in that department," Atamanuik said. ”But our political system is too broken for us to be content joking about one man, even though he is a disastrous silly little toddler boy. Mostly I'd just like to thank Comedy Central for giving us this platform to speak truth to power and if we're lucky, end up in prison!"

The President Show is produced by Pally's Clone Wolf Productions and 3 Arts Entertainment.

megalowho

The Bernie vs. Trump stuff that Atamanuik and James Adomian were doing last year was really funny. More improv than impression, he gets the "character" and went pretty dark at times. Hope they can make it work in a more structured format and pull this off.

Not

Banned
Indeed!

Will be interesting to see if this show succeeds or if it becomes another That's My Bush.

That's My Bush had far less material to work with

Thankfully it's impossible to say anything too mean-spirited about a corrupt rapist bigot with the more power than anyone in the whole world besides his Russian masters

Boem

I'll be honest, I'm mostly interested in Trump's tweets about this. How long until he threatens to sue Comedy Central for treason?

You can tell how much Atamanuik wants to be the definitive Trump just by looking at how much he's improved over the last year. I saw the guy as Trump on @midnight sometime last year and it was forgettable, like most Trump impersonations. At the time, I think Baldwin had just started doing his on SNL and was sort of the default best given how poor the rest were.

But, hoo boy, what I just watched in the OP changes everything. That is easily the best Donald I've ever seen and blows Baldwin out of the water.

Boem

Also, yes, he's the best impersonator there is, but honestly the writing hasn't been quite there from what I've seen of him over the last months. Hopefully that'll improve now that he's got something of a budget behind him though.

Ricky_R

Needs more orange makeup and some wrinkles, but yeah, rest is perfect. This could be a younger Trump I guess.

Yeah. I just think Baldwin's eyes and hair look better, but can't really complain when this guy's voice is incredible.

If I close my eyes I hear Trump.

He may be good, but watching him, I just cannot stop from seeing Alec Baldwin.

1) I like Atamaniuk's Trump way better than Baldwin's. It is both more accurate and more incisive. So this is great news! Dude deserves a ton of success!

2) James Adomian was implying on Twitter the other day that Baldwin literally stole his impression from Atamanuik's video audition submission to SNL. This led to Baldwin disparaging Atamanuik's attempt to host the WH Correspondent's dinner on Jimmy Kimmel (albeit not by name). This is doubly awkward because Atamanuik used to write for 30 Rock and so is technically a former co-worker of Baldwin's. Gossip!

This will be interesting.

The guy is an amazing improvisor and half the fun of his act the last year was when he riffs absolutely vile shit in that amazing impression.

There is no way CC will allow even a quarter of that.

This will be interesting.

The guy is an amazing improvisor and half the fun of his act the last year was when he riffs absolutely vile shit in that amazing impression.

There is no way CC will allow even a quarter of that.

I think they will. They haven't made Trevor Noah alter his material any since Trump was president. The only time I've seen Comedy Central back down was when Southpark did the draw Muhammad episode they aired it one time, heavily censored, and then never aired it again

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He's pretty good, but I think I'll stick to the wit of Colbert monologues.

Only so much Trump is a real thing.

NimbusD

Holy shit, between this and klepper, comedy Central late night is going to be great again. Hah.

I don't understand the schedule with this and klepper a show, they're in the same spot? Is this just weekly and klepper is the other 3 days?

Holy shit, between this and klepper, comedy Central late night is going to be great again. Hah.

I don't understand the schedule with this and klepper a show, they're in the same spot? Is this just weekly and klepper is the other 3 days?

I'm guessing they're just on in different seasons. Klepper is 4 nights a week and this is Thursday, but this is starting now, and Klepper's not till the fall.

Going to be? @midnight has been great for 500+ episodes now.

Trump's already a complete parody of a human being. I don't see how an effective parody of him doesn't end up wrapping around to normalcy.

Like, literally, if I wanted to get a yuck at Trump's expense I'd probably do a bit where someone asks him a question about a complex and high-tension political problem and he responds with a measured, diplomatic answer. Comedy comes from the unexpected, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom