• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC GAF - What's your setup?

Rich!

So, I have a gaming PC - but it's set up purely as a media centre/entertainment system. I've just got Windows 8 and after a bit of tinkering, I'm finally happy with it all. Would be cool to see if anyone else is doing the same thing.

Might be best following the same format as my post to share other setups.

Display

txlkwc.jpg

Wall mounted 42" 1080p LG TV via HDMI

Sound

5.1 surround via Sony Amp

Input

Logitech k400 keyboard, Wireless 360 pad and converters for SNES, PSX and Wii Classic pads.

PC Setup (interface)

Windows 8.1 with XBStart installed. XBStart is a nifty app that gives you full control of the start screen with a wireless/wired 360 pad. Hitting the xbox/guide button brings up the menu, and then you can browse through the icons as if it was a console, complete with sounds. It even brings up a keyboard if you hit R3.

I've added Steam Big Picture mode to it along with shortcuts of some of my games. I've set up a separate category for media (xbmc) and emulation. In terms of emulation, Retroarch provides support for pretty much everything under the sun, and I've set up dedicated shortcuts for some gamecube and Wii games. Just navigate to Xenoblade for example, hit A, and it loads up automatically.

Essentially, I've got my PC to the stage where I dont need a keyboard at all. It's the greatest console ever.

You guys?

Lexxon

Very cool setup. I may play with that Win8 Joypad program.

Mine is much more manual, as I use my computer as both a standard desktop and for TV gaming. I use UltraMon to have three different display profiles--one for my dual monitor setup via DVI, one for my 30' HDMI out to the TV in the same room, and one that keeps all three active, with the TV as the primary. Ultramon allows to switch between these profiles with a single click:

82keiAh.png

I have 3-4 X360 controllers via the wireless adapter for Towerfall and other multiplayer games. Old Logitech Z5500 5.1 system works well with the HDMI audio, which also switches cleanly when my display profile changes.

I have the exact same keyboard/touchpad combo. Works very well.

Big Picture is great, although sometimes I find myself getting everything ready to launch via desktop, then switching inputs and firing it up. Also easy.

Denton

Very nice setup OP. I am too lazy to do anything like this, since K400 covers my comfy couch needs well enough. Excuse shitty cellphone photos.

My setup is thus.

Display(s):

i9Qk6FtayFXv2.jpg

Panasonic 55" ST50, year old, still displaying like a champ. Witcher 3 will be pure bliss in 1080p+60fps+high or ultra. Used for most of my gaming, all my TV and film watching, and occasional browsing.

i2MlTeg3miNfU.jpg

24" NEC WMGX3 LCD in the same room (dualscreened with plasma). I use this for browsing the net, working, playing games that require mouse and keyboard. 6 years old monitor, still fantastic picture and response, although the blacks suck ass compared to plasma (obviously).

Fun fact: that red supercheap mousepad is 15 years old and I don't think I will ever change it. My IE3 just slides so nicely on it. Also, IE3 is the best mouse ever made and MS sucks for discontinuing it again (eventhough they brought it back once already).

For sound, I am using Audio-Technica AD 500 and some cheap Genius 2.1 repro. I am not very demanding when it comes to sound, at least until Oculus arrives.

Input:

ib2CeoWU4WWVEm.jpg

This little keyboard from Logitech, K400, is god damn fantastic. Touchpad works super accurately and nicely, I launch all my movies and games directly from Win7 without anything extra, since it just works. Do not even have to use larger fonts or anything.
Damn, I am not even using Bigpicture in Steam anymore ! Just not necessary when I have this.
Gamepad is used for almost everything I play, just now it is Fallout New Vegas with mods looking beautiful and running great.
Divinity will be played on monitor though, obviously.

SerTapTap

Can't grab pics ATM

Display
I use an HDMI splitter so my middle monitor is mirrored to a 42" TV. No display switching, hallelujah. I can also play in the bedroom on a second 42" TV but usually don't.

Input

360 or DS4 pad (using DS4 windows) for most games, wireless. Wired SNES or N64 knockoffs for some emulated games. I have a DiNovo Edge I use for just-in-case typing/touchpadding but the touchpad is bad and I don't play KB/M games on the couch. You guys are making me interested in that little logitech deal though.

PC Setup
Not perfect yet.

UI-wise I just hold Home on my PS/Xbox controller to open Steam Big Picture. I don't fuss with anything that doesn't have controller support, and I put all my emulators in Steam. A couple emulators (dolphin, Visual boy advance) don't have controller input for menus, so I usually avoid these.

I have to manually switch audio over to HDMI instead of 3.5. I tried Virtual Audio Cable in hopes of mirroring audio, but I have to manually mirror each boot, and my PC doesn't sleep properly, so it's on and off all the time. Anyone solved this issue? Having to toggle audio and not being able to turn the PC on with my synced controllers are the biggest impediments to my couch gaming.

You have no idea how close I was to making a post about this. I'm on the advice seeking end - our apartment has a small setup with the PC near our new tv, and couches on the side.

all I want is a legitimate surface for a mouse an keyboard to use while I'm on the couch.

I don't want a plank of wood. And, on the other end of the spectrum, I don't want a Couchmaster. Anyone have a middle ground solution? A desk with adjustable height maybe? I'm convinced nothing legit exists.

heyf00L

I usually play at the computer desk, but if I want to play on the couch I use Steam streaming to the laptop + Xbox controller.

Gumbie

30ft. hdmi cable ran from my office through my crawl space into the living room into a 50" Vizio LED. I use the logitech K400 and switch the Vizio to primary monitor when I'm in there. The only problem I've ran into is sometimes the range is too much for my wireless 360 dongle and I'll start losing connection to the controller. It's a pain in the ass when it happens in the middle of a game.

KingErich

Banned
50ft HDMI from Office to my Man Cave (loft). Hooked to a Denon receiver, Samsung 40" LCD, Logitech K400, and Wireless 360 gamepad. It's a pimp setup. Windows 7 with Steam Big Picture Mode. Once games are loaded you'd never know I was playing PC. Except for the graphics upgrade of course.

KingErich

Banned
30ft. hdmi cable ran from my office through my crawl space into the living room into a 50" Vizio LED. I use the logitech K400 and switch the Vizio to primary monitor when I'm in there. The only problem I've ran into is sometimes the range is too much for my wireless 360 dongle and I'll start losing connection to the controller. It's a pain in the ass when it happens in the middle of a game.

Why not try running a USB cable with the XBOX wireless receiver attached through the crawl space to bring it closer?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
42" 1080p LG

5.1 through Logitech Z906 (I had an earlier model Logitech set that was actually a bit better, but the receiver pod's LCD burned out and I couldn't find a replacement)

That same Logitech keyboard that everyone else has. It really is fantastic. Played all through Might and Magic X on the comfy couch using it.

360 controller

And, of course:

Couch

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You have no idea how close I was to making a post about this. I'm on the advice seeking end - our apartment has a small setup with the PC near our new tv, and couches on the side.

all I want is a legitimate surface for a mouse an keyboard to use while I'm on the couch.

I don't want a plank of wood. And, on the other end of the spectrum, I don't want a Couchmaster. Anyone have a middle ground solution? A desk with adjustable height maybe? I'm convinced nothing legit exists.

Buy this, it's seriously amazing:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZTMG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Cowboy

Got my big LCD TV on the wall and my PC in the room next to the living room (its like a small storage room), all the cables (HDMI/USB etc) put through the houses ventilation system to behind the TV (so you can't see a single cable anywhere in the living room).

Its all controls with one of these, an Enemax Aurora Micro wireless.
When i want to pad game i use a 360 wireless controller, and when i want to get a bit more serious (or play strategy games etc) i use one of these with my KB, a Logitech Anywhere MX (my sofa arm rests are the perfect size for it).
My main interface is Windows 8.1 with all my tiles set to various sections like general app (mail, Skype etc), utilities (various folder sections), contacts (mainly family members for status updates), media (music, video and TV) and gaming (DD apps and Steam, Origin etc) - when i run steam it just goes into BPM mode, and all games (Steam and non Steam) have tiles setup for them.

Gumbie

Why not try running a USB cable with the XBOX wireless receiver attached through the crawl space to bring it closer?

Thought about it, it's really my only option at this point. I may run it underneath the house and tape it to the underside of the floor at a mid point between my office and living room.

lt519

I have a X51 in my TV console hooked up to my 60 inch vizio LED (1080p, 120HZ) through hdmi. I then have an optical line running to my Panasonic 5.1 receiver for surround sound. All within the console and nothing showing. I use Windows 7 but steam boots into big picture mode.

I use a wireless KB/M for some games but mostly a wireless 360 controller. When I play KB/m I have a coffee take that extends up to the appropriate level so I don't have to lean over.

I sit about 12-13 feet away. Can run ps3 era equivalent games on all high settings, 1080p (think BioShock infinite) at 30fps minimum. I don't really dabble in the new games since my rig can't handle it on high, but it is how I play most my indie games (think rogue legacy). I'll upload a picture shortly.

I have my PC/consoles in a closet behind my 60 something inch Bravia and I use a Logitech MX500 Bluetooth KB/Mouse I bought back in 2008. This has been amazing, I love having zero entertainment center. Only problem is my keyboard and mouse is beat to death and I want a new one...last I checked, I couldn't find pretty much anybody making inroads in the bluetooth KB/Mouse department and I have no idea why.

I game with my PC while sitting on a giant beanbag. Does anybody know of something I could buy that is big enough to sit my keyboard and mouse on? Both are wireless.

shandy706

I have 4 places you can game in my house. At work, so can't put any pics.

I don't really use #1- #3 much really. I also don't sit on the couch with any of them. 99% of gaming is done with #4.

Place #1
Study/Game Room
Sit in Comfy Gaming Chair or Racing seat and wheel setup
PC: Quad Core AMD/GTX 460/21" 1600x900 monitor/logitech speakers

A few years ago this was my main gaming area. It is still kicking, but I've pretty much moved to #4 our bedroom for 90% of my gaming.

Place #2
Daughter's Room
Sit on Floor or Bed
32" Offbrand Black Friday HDTV (lol)
SNES
PC: Older than above for Light Gaming: Dual Core AMD/GTX 260/Windows 8

Place #3
Living Room
Due to room setup, sit on floor or chair closer to TV
46" 3D Vizio HDTV
Xbox 360 w/Kinect
Laptop HDMI hookup (not really for gaming)

Kids and wife hog this setup (which I'm happy with). Only used heavily during college football season when I throw parties each weekend.

Place #4
Bedroom
Sit or lay on bed
46" 120hz Sharp Aquos
N64
NES/SNES
Vita
Xbox One w/Kinect
PC: i7/GTX 780/3.5 TB/Wireless KB&M/3 x Wireless 360 Controller
5.1 Philips Surround Sound

This is where the wife and I spend nearly all of our gaming/movie watching time now, and what I qualify as my "PC Gaf" setup :).

dmix90

XBStart + XBoxMouse Simulator + XBMC shortcut in Steam Big Picture = Awesome!
Don't know about Xbox One OS but that setup( even Steam BP alone ) just destroys laughable PS4 OS.
I think XBStart was updated to support mouse control but i am not sure.
After purchasing useless( right now ) ps4 i run out of SPDIF and HDMI Inputs on my receiver so i had to move my pc back to desk :(

coughlanio

Nice to see that the K400 is so popular, love my one which I mainly use for my Raspberry Pi. I really should look at hooking my PC up to my TV though. I did buy a 10 meter HDMI cable recently, but sadly it was just a bit too long, picture keeps cutting out.

What's the max length for HDMI? I reckon I'd need at least 8-9m.

Boot into steam big picture.
Xbox 360 for navigation.
K400 for annoying windows problems.
Can shutdown and restart straight from big picture.

Old setup was pc booting directly into XBMC and using scripts to launch things like Netflix and Steam. It got way too clunky for me and once I got an Apple TV, i now use that soley for entertainment whereas my pc is now just a steam machine.

SerTapTap

Protip: Hold the home button on your 360 controller (or xinput wrapped ps3/4) when Steam is open and Big Picture should launch even if you're not IN steam. Lots of people don't know that, no need to boot steam always into big picture unless you only need it that way. I just auto start steam minimized and do this.

Nice to see that the K400 is so popular, love my one which I mainly use for my Raspberry Pi. I really should look at hooking my PC up to my TV though. I did buy a 10 meter HDMI cable recently, but sadly it was just a bit too long, picture keeps cutting out.

I had this one The MonoPrice RedMere. I have never had any signal issues with this but during the move it got bent to where I think the cable part is messed up and stopped working. 2 years with no issues and played PC games that way on my HDTV. Now I have a 20' routed to my receiver, which I use as a switcher that has another 20' going through the wall to the HDTV.

My biggest hurdle was screen orientation/issues in order to do the "comfy couch". I use a wireless slim HP KB I bought for my fiance's laptop and a cheapy wireless mouse. Just ordered one of those K400s though, seems awesome!

With a newer graphics card I don't have to disable one display in order to get the others working. The only downside is you can't assign games a launch window in Steam. It always goes to Primary so if I am on the PC and want to jump to a couch game I have to switch my Primary so it launches correctly.

Nice to selimiterthe K400 is so popular, love my one which I mainly use for my Raspberry Pi. I really should look at hooking my PC up to my TV though. I did buy a 10 meter HDMI cable recently, but sadly it was just a bit too long, picture keeps cutting out.

I use a 50ft hdmi cable with no issues. Monoprice redmere. Usb is the distance limiter. 50 ft powered is about the max.

Krejlooc

Banned
Let me introduce this thread to the best secret in HTPC setups:

seCK6mB.jpg

This is a Gyration MCE Universal remote. They don't make these anymore, so you have to buy them used, and they go for about $100. But it is so worth it. In addition to being a universal remote with a good learning function (so it can mimic any other remote, and even mix and match), the best part is the gyroscope inside. See the button above the big green MCE button? That button activates the gyroscope. Press and hold it down, or double click it to toggle, and the remote behaves sort of like a wiimote, where the gyroscope inside controls your mouse.

Couple this with EventGhost and you can reprogram the other buttons on the remote to do anything you want - emulate keystrokes, start macros. It makes your entire computer accessible from just a single, non-obstructive remote. best of all, it recognizes as both a mouse and a keyboard, so you can boot your PC without a keyboard attached (if you have an old mobo that requires one).

Best purchase ever. I've stocked up on mine, I have like 10 spares in case mine ever goes out. So worth it.

Not too useful for gaming, although I've played CivV, Xcom, and World in Conflict with it. but a god send for web browsing or XBMC from a couch.

SerTapTap

Let me introduce this thread to the best secret in HTPC setups:

Damn that sounds like it would solve a couple of my problems...$75 used though, and I can't stand used controllers/etc. Think it'd work for my sound bar and HDMI switches too? They're all IR but I don't know how well universal stuff works for PC.

Krejlooc

Banned
Damn that sounds like it would solve a couple of my problems...$75 used though, and I can't stand used controllers/etc. Think it'd work for my sound bar and HDMI switches too? They're all IR but I don't know how well universal stuff works for PC.

If they're IR, then they will work. If you can't find universal codes for it, the remote has a learning feature where you point another remote at it and press buttons and it learns the IR code being transmitted and maps it to a button of your choice. You can actually mix and match modes. the thing has 4 modes - PC (which is obvious) and 3 configurable presets. So like, for example, I once mapped my second preset so that the volume keys controlled my sound system, while the channel keys changed the input on my TV and the power button turned them both off and on.

plainr_

At one point I had XBMC as a launcher for individual games or Steam itself. Since then I've switched to using Metro completely.

Also I would like to point out that the Dualshock 4 is essential to comfy couch gaming. With the built in mouse pad, you don't have to worry about running into a non controller friendly interface.

senahorse

I think we (gf and I) have it setup pretty well.

We both have our computers in our studies. The house is all wired up with ethernet (Cat6).

Between both studies and both couch gaming areas (lounge and rumpus [Australian equivalent of a basement]) there are 3 dedicated (not running to our comm's room [where patch panel and switching gear is]) ethernet runs, so basically it's like this:

Study 1 --> Lounge (3 runs of Cat6)
Study 1 --> Rumpus (3 runs of Cat6)

Study 2 --> Lounge (3 runs of Cat6)
Study 2 --> Rumpus (3 runs of Cat6)

2 out of every 3 ethernet runs is for running HDMI over ethernet.

original.jpg

This allows us to both send a HDMI video and audio signal to a receiver in each location.

1 out of every 3 ethernet is for running USB over ethernet.

EXT-USB2.0LR_zoom.jpg

This allows us to run anything USB, like a 360 wireless dongle, bluetooth adapter for mouse/keyboard, G25 steering wheel, HOTAS etc.

We use basic mouse and keyboards (wireless) in each section with a lapboard though most gaming is done with control pad in these areas.

It works really well and allows us both to play games in our studies, lounge or the rumpus (basement) without having to move our PCs.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
A lot of people with the k400, anyone have it's backlit older brother?

The k830:

tnpy0Y7.jpg

I upgraded my k400 to k830 recently for my htpc and it's great, much better range and it always works which the k400 didn't.

I've got a tk820 for my gaming pc which works great too and have a much bigger touchpad for when I'm playing adventure and turn based games on my tv.

lt519

Just to follow up.

Here's a pic of the living room (big empty space has a new bench coming in Monday):

A view of the entertainment center itself (Top right X51, Top left Wii U, Bottom Right PS4, Bottom left printer, Middle top record player, Middle bottom receiver/center speaker):

My gaming position with the coffee table raised if I'm going KB/M:

I game on an Epson 8350 projector and 110" screen.
Have a mid-tower Win 7 pc connected to a yamaha home theater receiver via hdmi from a gtx 780.
I have a powered 4-port usb hub on an end table next to the couch connected to the pc via a 16' active usb cable.
I have usb receivers for a Logitech MX Revolution mouse and a wireless illuminated keyboard plugged into the usb hub.
I use a 360 gamepad for some games and I just picked up a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro for Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous and other space sims.

Nocturno999

Yeah, that wireless Logitech keyboard is great. I also use a long HDMI cable to quickly switch from Monitor to TV when needed.

MisterM

I saw this thread yesterday but never got a chance to reply as I was on my phone.

I have a shitty 39" Bush TV (the boy throw an Xbox controller at the old TV during some Trials rage D: so we had to find a budget TV)

connected to a HTPC with the following:
i5-3570/7870XT/8GB DDR3

This boots into Steam BPM with XBMC added as a non-steam game and is hard wired to my router as is my NAS which is where I stream a lot of my content from.

I have a wireless gaming receiver, two 360 controllers and a K400 for controlling everything.

Occasionally I'll stream to my laptop to play more demanding KBAM based games but it's an i5 with HD4000 IGPU so it's enough to play CS:GO, DOTA2, Civ V and LoL natively.

Mesoian

This is an old picture but the setup is still pretty much the same.

20140223_13261083aeb.jpg

60 inch screen mounted on the wall, consoles in the entertainment center, PC on the side. A variety of PS4 and 360 controllers synced to both PC and consoles. Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse for the moments when I need it, but 9 times out of 10, I'm controlling the PC with my laptop using Input director.

Widge

I want the more expensive Logitech keyboard with touchpad. Having used a Mac, any other touchpad is just, well, no really. K400 is a bit tiny and unresponsive.

Top Bottom