• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Amy Schumer responds to being called out for racially insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

i'm impressed just how bad her response is. like for someone who clearly mines the twittersphere for boiler plate pop white feminism that she turns into tedious smug, obvious routines bafflingly praised by all, i figured she have more of a finger on it to know that's not going to fly. like it's just lol it's a joke + it's okay for me to do racist stuff because i'm so progressive anyway. she's done a good magnification on the criticisms too by responding so loudly.

i'm very excited for a backlash towards her as she's got so much undeserved praise, even better that the backlash focuses on the shitty pervasive white feminism that she so embodies which is a double win.

border

I tend to find the "black people talking during the movie" jokes a lot less funny these days.

Not because it's offensive, just because it's probably been like 15 years since I've heard a black person shout anything at the movies.

Seems pretty simple, just like TV and radio. If you find someone/something offensive, just change the channel. A comic's job is not to cater to everyone and there will be plenty of comics that cater to your taste and sensibility.

As long as the comic is being good natured and not actually making threats or telling others to act dangerously, I really dont care.

No, you don't get it man. There are NO MORE COMEDIANS. Those social justice warriors censored them into silence. Didn't you see that comic on the last page? That's reality now. That's the world we live in.

Don't even try to go to Netflix and look up stand-up specials. They don't exist anymore. That may have existed in the old world, but not anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRp3DJqDfOw

Here is a sample of her racial comedy. What do you think?

It's only really funny if you grew up surrounded by no one besides white North Americans. Because unless you think the only normal names are Jennifer and Mathew or some shit its not really funny to imply those names are wild and her idea of a name is proper. Its more lazy than anything. But like it's chuckle worthy if you strip away any and all critical thinking.

No, you don't get it man. There are NO MORE COMEDIANS. Those social justice warriors censored them into silence. Didn't you see that comic on the last page? That's reality now. That's the world we live in.

Don't even try to go to Netflix and look up stand-up specials. They don't exist anymore. That may have existed in the old world, but not anymore.

lol, I guess that is the beauty of comedy in America. With podcasts, internet sales and Netfllix, they can build a following and sell out standup shows and tell everyone that doesn't like it to fuck off.

As Adam Carolla says, he built himself a pirate ship. You can either put wind in the sails or be left in the wake. Either way, the ship pushes forward.

Slayven

I am trying to think back when someone last did some funny and interesting racial humor, and god forbid the only thing I can come up with is "Negro Town" by Key and Peele.

GorillaJu

Comedians and social justice activists are like negative and positive ends of a magnet who just inevitably slam into each other.

The comedians attitude is to say intentionally provocative things using the most potent taboos of our society (ie racism) because the greatest pain elicits the greatest laugh.

The social activist attitude is to treat media output with as little humor and as much concern as possible, condemning each little mention of social inequality as if it were a poison droplet that will negatively impact the ocean of society.

One's job is actually to offend. The others' job is actually to get offended. They're made for each other <3

Well put and very true.

She really isn't funny. That Chapelle male rape joke is far more controversial, but you know he's actually funny and stuff. Her jokes are lazy, but nothing to talk about.

Above all this honestly makes her come off as hypocrite more than anything else. The way she fights so hard against sexist stereotypes in her industry while simultaneous reaffirming racists ones such as

I used to date Hispanic guys, but now I prefer consensual!
or
Gone Girl, how good was Gone Girl? Such a good movie. If you didn't see it, it's the story of what one crazed white woman, or all Latinas do, if you cheat on them. That's a fact.

Anyways I never really paid her much mind, glad to know I'am not missing out on anything.

I think Amy Schumer is funny. I don't think being a good comic necessarily means most people will find you funny. Good for her for sticking to her guns.

CIGjV2wUYAAzLWU.jpg

Unfortunately comedy is heading that way.

Comedians and social justice activists are like negative and positive ends of a magnet who just inevitably slam into each other.

The comedians attitude is to say intentionally provocative things using the most potent taboos of our society (ie racism) because the greatest pain elicits the greatest laugh.

The social activist attitude is to treat media output with as little humor and as much concern as possible, condemning each little mention of social inequality as if it were a poison droplet that will negatively impact the ocean of society.

One's job is actually to offend. The others' job is actually to get offended. They're made for each other <3

True.

People who are like "it's either all jokes or no jokes" confuse the shit out of me. I don't understand how there are so many people who can't even get to the start of recognizing what goes into a good, well-crafted joke vs a bad and lazy one that relies on really old stereotypes or shock.

No one's taking away anyone's jokes. What's happening is people are saying that that comedy is just way past boring now. Chappelle's Show was over a decade ago and had already shown us how to make race jokes that don't rely on marginalizing or disrespecting minorities.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
She really isn't funny. That Chapelle male rape joke is far more controversial, but you know he's actually funny and stuff. Her jokes are lazy, but nothing to talk about.

Chapelle's comedy has always cut right to the heart of society's issues. Its what makes them infinitely rewatchable even after the surface joke has worn out.

GorillaJu

I am trying to think back when someone last did some funny and interesting racial humor, and god forbid the only thing I can come up with is "Negro Town" by Key and Peele.

Negro Town isn't funny it's just sad and true. I'd much sooner laugh at a ribbing for a silly stereotype like yelling at movies than I would laugh at something people are actively suffering over.

(Not to mention its way too long and overwrought like most K&P jokes)

J10

Banned

Bill Burr on the rhythm of language across races and how the placement of certain words changes the tone.

Black guy says: This Asian motherfucker walks in... and I'm hooked, I wanna see where this story goes.

White guy says : This motherfucking ASIAN walks in... and it's like WHOA WHOA WHOA tone it down!

Yeah.

Like, Key and Peele do the same type of joke hilariously-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

(There's other videos in this series.)

Like, that is fucking hilarious. And it's not framed racially"I have black friends! Black names are funny roflmao :^)"

Schumer just comes off as....trying to make a bad racist joke.

That definitely got a chuckle from me. I also enjoyed that I knew what the punchline would be :p

Where does Schumer's comedy fall here? Is she a hit on most topics? Is she a hit on feminism-based comedy, but a miss on race-based comedy? The Daily Dot article is actually criticizing her feminist comedy too, from the position that is critical of white feminism.

Or do the authors just "don't get it"? This is the hard thing. If the comics "don't get it", then criticism of them is helpful to improve their comedy game. If the audience "doesn't get it", then their criticism is unfounded and contributes to a chilling effect from misguided outrage. Given the subjectivity of the medium, where each case stands on this spectrum can vary wildly from person to person.

Some jokes aren't going to hit. Some comedians have horrible blind spots. Schumer is quite solid when it comes to women and rough when it comes to race. Is that a problem? Should I not comment if a joke doesn't land or its poorly constructed?

Nah. Comedians can do what they want and I'm allowed to say how I feel about it.

Pitchforks? Lightest pitchforks I ever seen.

Unfortunately comedy is heading that way.
No it isn't. And the thing is, you all know it isn't.

Bill Burr on the rhythm of language across races and how the placement of certain words changes the tone.

Black guy says: This Asian motherfucker walks in... and I'm hooked, I wanna see where this story goes.

White guy says : This motherfucking ASIAN walks in... and it's like WHOA WHOA WHOA tone it down!

Bill Burr and Jim Norton both have moments of pure magic.

Slayven

Does Burr have any albums?

I think one purpose of comedy is to bring up and talk about issues that are uncomfortable in the guise of humor. It's funny because it's a real problem.
Yep. My favorite comedians talk about their problems with depression or anxiety, but they never make the joke that just having depression is a thing to laugh at. It's about crafting the best way to relate their human experience that illuminates and then pokes at something real.

The best comedians who use race in their jokes do the same thing. They never make the joke that just being a certain race or falling into certain stereotypes is funny. They touch on something that's either relatable or informative to the crowd, and then they blow it up in a fantastic way after they get the audience engagement. It's a journey, not a cheap laugh at someone's expense.

Arksy

No it isn't. And the thing is, you all know it isn't.

When Jerry Sienfeld, one of the biggest and most successful comics says he's not going to do colleges anymore because the crowds are too PC and get outraged over the silliest thing, I don't think you can really claim that this isn't happening.

When Jerry Sienfeld, one of the biggest and most successful comics says he's not going to do colleges anymore because the crowds are too PC and get outraged over the silliest thing, I don't think you can really claim that this isn't happening.
The death of comedy is Jerry Seinfeld not understanding how to do college humor in 2015?

Real talk, it's amazing just how much people treat comedians like special little flowers.

Comedians are pretty tough. I don't want comedians that can't take even the most unreasonable of criticisms of their work.

In that very same rant, he also admits that all this "knowledge" he has about colleges being to PC is all second hand. Since he doesn't do colleges himself, how can he know if they're too PC?

Because I got banned under the pretense that I should learn to take a joke. So I have.

Ok.

J10

Banned
Amy is using the paraprosdokian technique in a lot of her material, which is basically just ending a seemingly normal statement in an unexpected way; guys like Steven Wright and Mitch Hedburg did this a lot. The punchline of a joke's only purpose is to surprise you, so in that way the joke works purely on a technical level. Whether or not it's offensive to a group seems secondary to the art of crafting and devliering the joke. It being racially charged is basically just like putting hot sauce on it and when taken in context, it doesn't seem like there's a statement being made so much as she's just trying to be surprising by playing with stereotypes. The joke works because it's fucked up and wrong and she's giving the audience the benefit of the doubt that they know that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Comedy is a really compelling lens through which to view society's views on and acceptable content about race. And it's pretty fast moving.

We had naked, unapologetic racism in mainstream comedy for decades, then it started to morph. Black comedians like Pryor owned it and helped translate those issues for a mainstream public.

That's why listening to someone as recent as Andrew Dice Clay can be cringe inducing.

Shumer is just working through what she's good and bad at, and the lens continues to evolve.

We eventually let the market decide where the line is, and it all carves away at the whole nature of comedy. It's rare to see non physical comedy stand up to even a couple of decades of evolving taste.

Slayven

Amy is using the paraprosdokian technique in a lot of her material, which is basically just ending a seemingly normal statement in an unexpected way; guys like Steven Wright and Mitch Hedburg did this a lot. The punchline of a joke's only purpose is to surprise you, so in that way the joke works purely on a technical level. Whether or not it's offensive to a group seems secondary to the art of crafting and devliering the joke. It being racially charged is basically just like putting hot sauce on it and when taken in context, it doesn't seem like there's a statement being made so much as she's just trying to be surprising by playing with stereotypes. The joke works because it's fucked up and wrong and she's giving the audience the benefit of the doubt that they know that.
when you started reading books without pictures?

border

No one's taking away anyone's jokes. What's happening is people are saying that that comedy is just way past boring now. Chappelle's Show was over a decade ago and had already shown us how to make race jokes that don't rely on marginalizing or disrespecting minorities.

People always have very rose-colored glasses about Chappelle's Show. They had a fair number of sketches that were marginalizing and disrespecting minorities. That's like 90% of the reason Chappelle quit.

How Jerry Seinfeld doing?

Completely fine, I'd say.

Most elder comedians don't do college shows because they don't pay well. Young folks? These people seem fine. Hannibal Buress seems fine. Schumer did one earlier this year. T.J. Miller. Chris D'Elia. Kevin Hart did a college tour last year. I can go on and on. The difference? All comedians under the age of 40.

If Seinfeld is too out of touch with college kids to do college shows and he doesn't want to step outside his comfort zone, he should probably acknowledge that instead of that nonsense.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-06-27/why-comedians-are-refusing-put-shows-college-campuses

Alexis Wilkinson, a writer for HBO&#8217;s Veep and an undergraduate editor and ex-president of the Harvard Lampoon says it may be their egos at play. &#8220;These are old white guys who have never had anybody really try to call them on anything and it&#8217;s just so upsetting that somebody tries to tell them what to do,&#8221; she suggests. For the first time in their careers, they&#8217;re being called on to apologize.

&#8220;I learn new things all the time about both just the history of things that I might want to consider about before talking on a topic, or certain words that are offensive to different groups of people that you don&#8217;t think about,&#8221; explains Wilkinson. &#8220;That&#8217;s just part of the game now and that&#8217;s what people expect.&#8221;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom